Barnes & Noble Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Leonard Riggio

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lot of hard work expected for minimum wage (in 154 reviews)

• got less working hours due to a vast number of seasonal part time hiring (in 144 reviews)

1. "Uconn- Barnes and noble"

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Flexible schedules for college students

Cons

Unorganized, and barely got any hours as part time

2. "An average retail job"

Current Employee - Shelver
    Current Employee - Shelver

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- A very calm environment
    - Many positions available once employed
    - Flexible Schedule
    - Work with new and interesting books
    - Employee discount
    - Flexible Dress Code

Cons

- Very micromanaged
    - shelving position is horrible. Push heavy carts and put away books while being timed
    - Poor chain of command, half the employees on the floor are "manager" who will each tell you something different to do
    - Sometimes requires odd times to start your shift, such as starting at 5am or working almost a "night" shift which doesn't end until 2am
    - Some days can not be taken off under any circumstance.
    - No formal training whatsoever in the store from management

Advice to Management

Cut the amount of management on one shift

Evaluate the assets each employee brings and use them accordingly

Standardize training for new employees

3. "I find the current direction of the company to be unfocused. Four of the six managers at my store are leaving."

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's wonderful working on the book industry if that is your passion, alongside others who feel the same.

Cons

Upper management policies and inconsistencies, low pay, declining industry. Corporate policies show that one hand doesn't know what the other is doing, so stores have impossible goals to meet.

Advice to Management

What works for N.Y.C. isn't what works for other areas. Give incentives to employees that perform, make reasonable expectations of time management at the store level.

4. "R.E.S.P.E.C.T."

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

I was introduced to a wonderful group of people during my time at Barnes and Noble. Their best employees are some of the hardest working and best people I've ever met in any job.

Cons

Pay is insultingly bad. A hefty raise here is less than $.25 a year. Employees who are promoted to 'lead' positions are give less than a $1 raise to do the equivalent of two full time jobs.

Completely mismanaged, which led to extremely high turn around.

Managers expect too much of high performing employees, which led to losing some of their more valuable people to burnout.

No transparency ever.

Advice to Management

No one wants to work somewhere the management has zero respect for the employees.

Don't just promote people who've been there forever. Promote people who deserve it, when they deserve it.

"Decent Job/Dying Market"

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly good people to work with on all levels of the company. Being surround by books daily for me personal was a big plus and draw to the job in the first place. Customer base is fairly tame for a retail environment making work smoother.

Cons

Due to competitors primarily Amazon the market is slowly collapsing in on Barnes and Noble as it is presently structured. This leads to constant changes in work "top priority" as upper management scrambles to come up with innovative ways to make money. Difficult to advance or work on training to move up due fact that hours are stretched very thin and floor coverage is minimal at all times. This leaves managers to act as MOD, customer service, Cafe backup all while trying to maintain store cleanliness and address any customer issues.

Advice to Management

Pick a simple, clear strategy and stick with it for more than 5 minutes.

6. "Music Seller"

Former Employee - Music Seller
    Former Employee - Music Seller

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work around music, and you get to discover when new stuff comes out. You even get to receive new albums and new DVD releases.

Cons

They always staff just one person all day---one opener and one closer. That is not enough to combat theft. Oh speaking of theft, managers think they have the right to accuse music-sellers of stealing when they find tags everywhere. Managers think it is okay to write verbally abusive notes to other employees and post them in the department for other employees to see.

Advice to Management

If you going to hire someone to be in management, please hire someone who has personality and not someone who thinks being a manager means being a big B.

"Ignoring sound advice"

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have met some of the best people where I learned much from them and they from me.

Cons

Changes are for the negative from customer standpoint. High pressure sales tactics. Low pay. No chance for upward growth.

Advice to Management

I understand trying new tactics to drive business but as a specialty store that does not offer competitive pricing should focus on the relaxed atmosphere that does not include high pressure sales of the membership that in this climate, is a waste. Return the ease of browsing. Extend membership benefits to electronic books if possible. Stop bombarding the inventory with hundreds of copies of the same title and leave no room for much else. Make it attractive to shop there.

8. "Eh"

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Working with great coworkers and building customer service skills.

Cons

Cafe workers are not as respected than the booksellers by management.

"It's a good first job..... but exhausting after a while"

Current Employee - Cafe Server in West Melbourne, FL
    Current Employee - Cafe Server in West Melbourne, FL

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The discounts you get in the cafe and on the floor are really the only positive things about working here.

Cons

No one communicates here or tells you anything about anything. The managers only care about if you have enough things on the cafe plate so we don't get a bad secret shop score. Managers are rude when you have a problem or the POS is down. Too much drama and too stressful just for a starting job. I have worked here for 8 months now and not received a single compliment on how I'm doing, only how I can do things better and that I should do something different than how I'm doing it.

Advice to Management

Care more about your employees since they're the ones working for you and maybe not be so hard on them sometimes. Maybe compliment your employees for how well they're doing with the customers instead of dragging them down.

10. "Working as a Bookseller"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I've found Barnes & Noble to be a friendly work environment that values the skills and knowledge of its booksellers. The wide variety of tasks keeps the job interesting and allows you to develop a variety of skills. The company also offers good employee discounts.

Cons

Barnes & Noble could offer more in-depth training for new employees and more on-the-job training for current employees. The pay is quite low and working in a retail environment means that the hours can be very irregular depending on the season. It can be difficult to get in touch with managers due to irregular schedules.

Advice to Management

Management could offer more training for employees and better communication among the whole team for each store.

Showing 390 of 2,889 reviews