Barnes & Noble Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 7, 2017

2.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Leonard Riggio

Pros
  • professionalism, great environment for book lovers, 30% employee discount (in 234 reviews)

• You get a pretty steep discount on books and coffee although sometimes I found that even with the employee discount things were cheaper on amazon (in 73 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is just barely above minimum wage (in 142 reviews)

• Part time hours and wages that a person can not live on (in 130 reviews)

1. "Barnes and Noble Seasonal Employee (X-mas)"

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

The discount was nice I used that to buy X-mas presents. My fellow workers were friendly enough.

Cons

They do not give seasonal employees a ton of hours.

2. "Manager"

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working with books and book-loving customers, meeting authors, book fairs and community involvement can make the job exciting and interesting. Being part of a positive, productive team allows you to grow as an employee and Barnes & Noble is true to its promise of promoting from within.

Cons

Upper management, including corporate, is very inconsistent. If you're part of a good team with a genuinely involved manager who enjoys their job, it's a wonderful experience. If not, the job becomes chaotic, draining and deadening. Changes in the company's focus and expectations can feel random and punitive. There is no mechanism for addressing these concerns; although "We Listen" is touted as anonymous and confidential, it most definitely is not. I became aware on multiple occasions of information regarding other managers that I should not have had access to.

There is little respect for Work/Life balance. Requesting time off or taking a sick day can be perceived as a weakness and there may be repercussions.

Advice to Management

Develop procedures for assessing upper level management - utilizing feedback from direct reports as well as actual observation and assessment of how the management team is functioning. Hold your District and Store Managers accountable to more than just sales and metrics; are they actually developing their employees? Update your yearly employee evaluation process to more accurately reflect the skills actually required in the job and subscribe to more current HR practices. Respect your employees work/life balance.

"Disappointing"

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

I can't think of any. Thats pretty bad.

Cons

They don't train you to do the job, you're lucky if you learn anything within the first month of working there. If you don't sell memberships, you get scolded about it constantly.

Advice to Management

Actually train people and set up some type of incentive for selling memberships, instead of paying your workers hourly minimum wage and expecting them to be motivated.

5. "For the love of people"

Former Employee - Bookseller in Evanston, IL
    Former Employee - Bookseller in Evanston, IL

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You work with amazing intelligent people

Cons

Weekly changes in merchandise confuse customers and employees equally.
    Management is outdated and inflexible.
    You will grow to hate the public.

"Good Benefits Dismal Pay and Opportunity"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are great, sick pay, insurance (health, life, vision, dental), personal leave, employee discounts, flexible schedules.

Cons

Doesn't believe in a living wage. Raises are capped at $0.25 per year. Little or no chance for advancement after completing all training and curriculum requirements. Management constantly and consistently caught lying to customers and employees alike, infighting, back-stabbing and clicks. Little support for employees. No sitting, must stand the entire time.

"Bookseller"

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

B&N provides pretty great merchandise and Cafe menu discounts. I also really enjoyed my time working in the music department.

Cons

So many people would call out of work -- many faked being sick -- so booksellers would have to move around in different/unfamiliar sections with very little training. This wasn't a huge deal when it came to being put in shelving during opening hours or the music department when you regularly worked the cash registers, but was a huge deal when you had to fill in for a barista at the Cafe. I also got multiple calls from different MODs at B&N begging me to fill in for someone's shift despite being on approved vacation time 1000 miles away from where I worked.

Advice to Management

Actually TRAIN your employees before sending them out to work in different/unfamiliar sections of the store. A part-time bookseller isn't going to be able to memorize the whole Cafe menu and how to make menu items because a) barista isn't in the job title and b) the menu is huge and one training session isn't enough. Also, try not to schedule employees closing (anywhere between 7 or 8 p.m.-12 a.m., sometimes until 12:45 a.m. if the store is a disaster) one night and opening the next morning (anywhere between 6 a.m.-12 a.m.)

"Poor Leadership with no foresight."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, though corporate seems to be cutting back on those lately. A few nice customers help get you through the day.

Cons

Leadership has no idea and is totally disconnected from the stores and reality. Booksellers are overloaded with tasks in the erroneous belief that moving books around every week will actually sell more. No time for training. Robotic leadership principles with no foresight - B&N is a dinosaur with no clue as to how to adapt to the modern retail world.

Advice to Management

Drastically cut the tasks, booksellers are torn between accomplishing tasks and helping customers. Look after your booksellers better - stop cutting discounts and benefits.

"BookSeller"

Former Employee - Bookseller
    Former Employee - Bookseller

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Decent employee discount
    You get to be around books!
    No irregular hours

Cons

Little to no training
    Usually stuck in one position for whole shift (cashier, customer service)
    Cashiers must sell a lot of memberships to get more hours

Advice to Management

The training program was terrible. I was stuck at a cash register with a workbook and told to go through it. The next shift I was thrown to the wolves and came upon several scenarios not in the training book. It also took several weeks to get someone to train me on the PDT so I could help stock inventory.

10. "Low pay, not enough hours"

Former Employee - Barista in Norman, OK
    Former Employee - Barista in Norman, OK

Pros

The job itself is really fun. Wonderful co-workers! You can read during breaks.

Cons

Most employees only get 9-15 hours per week and if you have second job you might get less than that. The turnover rate is really high. Almost nobody works there for more than a year.

Advice to Management

Give employees enough hours to make it worth their time to work with you. If you have good employees with open schedules, try not to alienate them by continually hiring new staff members when you already don't have enough hours to go around.

11. "Bookseller"

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time

Pros

Most employees were friendly except for most of the managers. 50% discount on food and beverages from the cafe. Scheduling was very flexible.

Cons

Horrible pay, mean managers except for a few great ones. The GM is particularly miserable. You're expected to do way more tab you get paid for and the raises are laughable. The holidays are the worst, you are forced to stay until midnight or later cleaning up everyone's mess after working your entire shift.

Advice to Management

A better attitude might help alleviate the misery of those doing the hard work rather than barking out orders with a superiority complex.

Showing 354 of 2,548 reviews