Barnes & Noble Reviews | Glassdoor

Leonard Riggio

2,813 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lot of hard work expected for minimum wage (in 153 reviews)

• got less working hours due to a vast number of seasonal part time hiring (in 144 reviews)

"Great people make a great company."

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

Pros

The pace is steady but brisk enough to keep you from getting bored, management treats all their employees with respect regardless of how long they've worked there. The environment is stimulating and fun, and you are encouraged to be yourself (within reason) and be comfortable with the customers. There isn't much pressure on selling a particular thing or boosting sales through a high pressure environment.
     Employees are also encouraged to get to know one another and work together. In short, the other employees and the management stick together like glue, everyone always willing to help each other out in any way possible.

Cons

There isn't much room for upward growth.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring young, smart employees and the company will just keep going up and up!

2. "A rewarding retail job, with benefits and opportunity for growth."

Current Employee - Merchandise Manager
    Current Employee - Merchandise Manager

Pros

Such a rewarding field, I can sell a book and not feel like a sleazy salesman. Wonderful co-workers, customers. Challenging with plenty of career development, opportunity and training.

Cons

Retail in general can be eradic and stressful.

Advice to Management

Perhaps to follow through on a merchandising technique before constantly changing the approach, though I understand a lot is trial and error.

"A Noble Employer"

Current Employee - Merchandising Manager
    Current Employee - Merchandising Manager

Pros

Apart from a love books, The customers who come in (who typically also love books) are wonderful to talk too. There are very few upset customers and the conversations that I am involved in on a day to day basis are both satisfying and mentally stimulating. They also have clear goals for all of their employees, recognize meeting and exceeding their goals and our fair in their evaluations.

Cons

Barnes & Noble is a most wonderful place to work. The only downside being in my mind, an overabundance of micromanagement with small tasks. Using an intranet application that tracks projects, some could be weeded out, such as check in store mail. There are times when closing out a project can take twice as long as doing the project in question. But the downside is such a small thing compared to all the other wonderful things that the company as a whole does right.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work!

"Barnes and Noble is a great place to work"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

At Barnes and Noble there is a very diverse group of people to work with and they tend to be open minded. Barnes and Noble was very accomodating with schedules (as much as they could be). It was a friendly place to work and I enjoyed coming to work each day in a relaxed friendly atmosphere.

Cons

Monotonous and a bit boring at times stocking shelves and straightening books

Advice to Management

Keep up the great benefits packege; it keeps good employees around. I think the dress code should be a little dressier to portray a nicer atmosphere. Some people were coming to work pretty sloppy and it made the company look bad. Stricter dress standards should be enforced to keep up with Barnes and Noble standards.

5. "Barnes and Noble is a great place to work!"

Current Employee - Cafe Server in Collierville, TN
    Current Employee - Cafe Server in Collierville, TN

Pros

My co-workers are wonderful, and they are always fair, not letting personal feelings effect them. It is a very professional place to work. My bosses keep me informed and are always willing to listen to my ideas, comments, and complaints.

Cons

Patrons can get you down and make you feel as though you aren't doing a good job. Also, you have late hours at close.

Advice to Management

I would like to say how much joy I have coming into work because my co-workers and my bosses all inspire a great work environment and a tight-knit work family. Don't ever stop.

6. "B&N is better than most."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Pros

The discount, obviously, is a major pro. There's decent communication from Corporate HQ all the way down to the newest bookseller, which is something you don't really see at a lot of places. Comraderie among co-workers made the store a second home.

Cons

Employment and customer experience varies from store to store. Inflexibility of institutional sales program led to job losses. No direction announced yet for shrinking music departments.

Advice to Management

Continue to provide more transparency into the company's performance and Corporate's decisions. If you're going to lay people off, be honest about it as opposed to telling everyone that everything's fine and then axe 100 store positions without blinking.

7. "An enjoyable workplace."

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

Pros

There is a very good benefit package available, with reasonable co-pays. There are even some holidays that the store is closed: Thanksgiving and Christmas Day. A few other days the stores close early. There is a great live vs work balance to this job for these reasons. And the hours are not as late as many jobs. Midnight is the latest you will typically work.

Cons

Pay is not as high as some retail, but the hours are better. The job is physically demanding. You will spend a lot of time moving books around. There is little to nothing in bonus pay if you are below Store Manager level.

Advice to Management

I am happy with Senior Management, although I would like to see them revisit the bonus structure.

"Great place to work if you're a motivated person!"

Current Employee - Head Cashier
    Current Employee - Head Cashier

Pros

Plenty of room to grow within the company. They like to promote from within which is definitely a plus. I've been there over three years and still loving it.

Cons

Salaries and wages could be much better, but the work isn't hard. The worst part about the job is the customers, not the management!

Advice to Management

Increase salaries or opportunities to receive performance pay increases. $0.25 raise per year is not enough for someone trying to grow in their career and make a living at the same time.

9. "Great when mgmt is great."

Current Employee - Cafe Lead Server
    Current Employee - Cafe Lead Server

Pros

Great environment, great co workers and supervisors. Pay is about the same as most retail stores, there are opportunities for advancement over time depending on the size and location of the store. Great benefits. Great human resources reps.

Cons

When management is less than competent it can be frustrating. Also, especially lately payrollhours are being cut so it is getting harder to do the same job in a shorter amount of time and/or with fewer staff available. For part time people hours are being cut.

Advice to Management

If a member of management is reported as being incompetent and it has been verified by other sources do not just let it go unaddressed.

10. "Former Bookseller"

Pros

I was going to school and doing theatre work when I worked there and my managers were really understanding with my schedule. You also got a pretty decent discount too.

Cons

There was a lot of down time so it could get pretty boring, particularly in the mornings if you were on register. You can only straighten things once!

Advice to Management

Everyone knew what they were doing and kept the employees very informed of what was going on in the store. It was really fun to work there!

Showing 2,813 of 2,840 reviews