Barnes & Noble Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Bookseller"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Nashua, NH

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Couldn't ask for better coworkers or customers, job is pretty easy and for the most part low stress. 30% employee discount

Cons

Manager is super intense & hard to relax when she's near by. Too much emphasis on selling memberships, always understaffed to save on labor (most booksellers scheduled 10 hours a week).

Advice to Management

All the problems seem to rain down from corporate... so not much can be helped at the store level.

2. "10 years in..."

I have been working at Barnes & Noble full-time

Pros

Discount; flexible hours; promote from within

Cons

Working nights, weekends, holidays; out of touch corporate office

Advice to Management

Talk to your staff who are in 'the trenches'

3. "Sales Associate"

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

you got to be around books

Cons

management made the work environment feel like high school and they don't work with you to play you to your strengths. absolutely NO time off for the holidays. NONE. not even for management. everyone works, no exceptions. be prepared to quit your job if you need or want to visit family during christmas.

Advice to Management

explore other possible ways to improve your store numbers that maybe start within management team, rather than just bearing down on the employees who don't sell the most memberships. poor employee performance can easily stem from poor leadership, just as any other reason. eliminate the requirement and pressure for an employee to prove they can hound customers into memberships they don't want before they can be allowed to find their niche in a different role within the store. and let your employees be able to request time off during the holidays!!

4. "I was, specifically, with BN.com 12 years of my 20 year career with Barnes & Noble Bookseller, Inc. Left in 2009."

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It's a fabulous company to work for; Employees to management are great. The company teaches you a lot. If you have the opportunity to work for them, take the job.

Cons

There isn't anything to say. If there were something negative that had been experienced, it would not be significant enough to mention.

Advice to Management

None

5. "Decent Gig, so long as you're on the book/sales floor."

Current Employee - Bookseller in Winston-Salem, NC
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Winston-Salem, NC

I have been working at Barnes & Noble (More than a year)

Pros

-Management usually aren't complete jerks.
    -Time off is pretty fair
    -Coworkers are usually pretty fun people
    -Pay isn't horrible
    -Customers are 9 times out of 10 really nice people

Cons

-They have "Primetime" hours where you can't do anything but cold contact customers pitching the membership which can make the Bookseller uneasy if he/she isn't a sales-oriented person
    -They are sticklers for the membership. If you don't sell enough memberships then you can kiss the job goodbye.
    -Cashiering is a nightmare. Cashiers are the real sales people, as they account for 90-95% of membership enrollments. If you get this job, my advice is to get yourself into the Customer Service or Music departments ASAP. Don't let yourself become the permanent underclass cashier. It happens so fast that you won't even notice that it has. Once you've cashiered enough without mentioning interest in the sales floor, management will ONLY schedule you at the register.
    -It's retail, so the holidays will suck.
    -I did say that customers were nice, but when you get a bad one, honey, you get a BAD TO THE BONE one. Some of the worst customer experiences of my career at other jobs pale in comparison to the circus of homeless freaks that lounge in the cafe and then come to customer service to screw with us.... yeah... you'll see what I mean once you get the job.

Advice to Management

N/a

6. "Satisfies"

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time

Pros

Great workplace and employers, very understanding

Cons

Night hours, and holiday rush hour

7. "Bookseller"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Denton, TX

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Getting to work with books. Flexible hours and understanding bosses. Fun environment. Fast Paced.

Cons

I do not have many cons about working here.

Advice to Management

To the store managers: Keep up the hard work.
    To upper management and corporate: Please start listening to the people who are on the sales floor.

8. "lecturing"

I worked at Barnes & Noble full-time

Pros

for update information of the company

Cons

challenging and tasking by the staff

Advice to Management

improve staff employment for the progress of the company

9. "Good for a retail type job"

Current Employee - Bookseller in Tulsa, OK
    Current Employee - Bookseller in Tulsa, OK

I have been working at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Management and fellow employees are friendly, a laid back work environment. Decent discount of 30%.

Cons

Have to bother customers with a lot of questions at point of sale with asking for email and trying to sell them on a membership.

Advice to Management

Try to focus on things that more directly impact sales instead of the indirect actions.

10. "Bookseller"

Pros

Some great and very dedicated staff work in the stores. The discount is nice - especially during Employee Appreciation Week where you get even better discounts. Option for Health Insurance if you're full-time.

Cons

There's a deep disconnect between the corporate offices and the local stores. While at my store, the managers were forced to get rid of the "local book"/author section to make way for displays. Customers were really disappointed. Managers often also seemed stressed but the constant influx of "plan-o-grams" from the corporate offices ... Many of which physically could not be displayed as the plan-o-gram advised.

Showing 3,055 of 3,084 reviews