Barnes & Noble Reviews in San Mateo, CA | Glassdoor

San Mateo, CA

4.0
Leonard Riggio

Pros
Cons
  • Lot of hard work expected for minimum wage (in 151 reviews)

• got less working hours due to a vast number of seasonal part time hiring (in 135 reviews)

1. "Great coworkers, gain skills"

Former Employee - Bookseller in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you love books or movies you'll connect with your coworkers immediately. You get to work on a variety of tasks and once they figure out your strong suit management places you there most of the time. I felt like my job stayed fresh because of the options and because I was very successful in the positions I was placed.

Cons

Depending upon the branch the management can be fantastic people who treat you as human beings (San Bruno, Santa Rosa), or they can treat you as dispensable (San Mateo).

Advice to Management

Create a positive work environment by being a leader that your employees will respect and enjoy working with.

"Nice part-time job when you're in between things"

Former Employee - Bookseller in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Barnes & Noble part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working with a medium that actually contributes to society - being able to see the customer light up when you've found the book that they're looking for is a treat. Especially with kids! They are awesome.

Cons

Low pay, less hours.
    Management can be a little testy.
    Disconnected from the rest of the stores as a whole.

Advice to Management

At my particular store, the upper management didn't have the people skills necessary for the job. They were more about the numbers side of business, and you can't have just that when you're working with the public.

Showing 2 of 2,759 reviews