Barnes & Noble Employee Reviews about "cafe"

Updated Nov 3, 2021

Found 391 of over 6,134 reviews

3.8
Barnes & Noble Chief Executive Officer James Daunt (no image)
James Daunt

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "The people I work with are great and really make it fun to come to work.(in 446 reviews)
  • "My coworkers are great and we've all worked here so long it feels like a family.(in 440 reviews)
  • "Flexible hours and you get to be around books all the time and usually literature enthusiast.(in 220 reviews)
  • "Good benefits are available to full(in 202 reviews)
  • "Flexible schedule and Fast(in 127 reviews)
Cons
  • "low pay and arbitrary corporate policies; lack of communication between higher ups and average employees(in 695 reviews)
  • "Bad management can be tiresome at most times(in 384 reviews)
  • "Managers have no qualms scheduling you until midnight and then having you return at 8 the next morning.(in 229 reviews)
  • "I literally only got paid 25 cents above minimum wage and was overworked as a college student.(in 95 reviews)
  • "The starting pay for a bookseller is minimum wage and pay increases are very diffucult to obtain.(in 82 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Barnes & Noble and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "cafe"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0

Great job

Oct 18, 2021 - Bookseller
    Business Outlook

Pros

Discount is 40% off on books, magazine, cafe items including Barnes and Noble Starbucks, and accessories. Toys and games are 30% off

Cons

No full time positions. Lower pay.

2. 3.0
    Former Temporary Employee, less than 1 year

Okay temporary job

Nov 3, 2021 - Bookseller in Shelby Township, MI
    Business Outlook

Pros

You get a great employee discount on books (40%) Nice to have the Starbucks cafe for drinks on break Fun being surrounded by books most co workers were pretty chill

Cons

I had 1 manager that just made me not want to go in. I would have rather dealt with customers than her. I am a good employee and hard worker and always felt she treated me as if I was looking for a way to get out of doing my job right. Ex: Me, new and looking for an EDT reader, minding my own business Her: *watching me* What do you need?! me: Just picking an EDT reader Her: Well its this one right here, you should have a number assigned! Me: Okay thank you (in my head "why be so abrasive about it?") Or when I had questions being new and she would tell me things that I SHOULD have already known them and get impatient if I ask questions. Like ma'am, I am asking questions because I want to do a good job and you're literally treating me like a poor employee and getting impatient with me. Seriously, if it weren't for her as a manager I probably would have stayed longer than a temp but by the time Holidays were over I was glad to leave. Even rude customers were better to deal with than her, at least they were out of the store the rest of the day.

3. 3.0

Loved the people...

Nov 3, 2021 - Bookseller%2FBarista in Eagan, MN
    Business Outlook

Pros

Really great employees work there, built a sort of family. The employee discount was 30% most of the time I worked there (I think it's up to 40% now), and worked in the cafe too. I had a lot of good experiences working there, largely due to several of the employees and managers.

Cons

Hardly ever given a raise. I worked there for 3 1/2 years and only was given one raise despite glowing performance reviews. I was told it wasn't in the company budget. After B&N switched owners a couple years ago, they instituted a lot of changes and didn't do a good job getting stores on the same page about the new expectations.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Fun atmosphere, but be prepared for the customers

Jul 27, 2021 - Cashier/Bookseller
    Business Outlook

Pros

I loved most of my managers and the drama was so little, nothing compared to other jobs I've had. Could be dependent on the employees and work location though. Pay was good for the experience I had and the perks were very nice. A healthy 30 percent off on books and merchandise, even more if it was already discounted. Also discounted meals and drinks from the cafe! I could also read ARC's and have first come first serve novels. Setting up the displays was also very satisfying and there we'rent any issues with being extremely busy for the most part. A very calming job for me.

Cons

Boy oh boy, did the customers have it in for us every single day. We would get bombarded by them constantly and while that can be fine, many of our guests were rude and extremely unreasonable. Be aware that book fiends do not mess around.

5. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Not worth the stress

Oct 3, 2021 - Cafe Lead in Orlando, FL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule, and good discount both in the store and the cafe.

Cons

The company truly does not care about it's employees, corporate is very out of touch about the actual going ons of the physical stores. The store managers do not communicate with other management staff or general employees, is often run on a "what I say goes" format. Contacting HR to resolve conflicts or issues does not lead anywhere nor do they keep confidentiality. Honestly I have worked for more then one store and for three different store managers and 2 out of 3 times were very toxic and borderline abusive to employees. As much as the customers are far from kind the management staff is the most negative aspect of working for this company.

6. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Critique

Sep 22, 2021 - Bookseller and Cashier
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible schedule Small discount on cafe items

Cons

Management does not know how to manage Management will not appraise you for meeting "quota" Management will not defend you against rude customers Poor rotation of duties to allow certain positions to diversify their skillset in other departments of the store Most of the time I was the only cashier scheduled for a large block of time and no matter how many times I called for backup I would never receive it and managers would project their frustrations upon booksellers for allowing the line to build even though they have absolutely no control over that The membership program and benefits are not worth it, but yet we are pushed to aggressively sell it You will get scolded by managers for simple things such as forgetting to ask for email Managers have no regard for your privacy. They will address you in front of customers. You will be forced to clean the bathroom prior to going into break regardless of how uncomfortable you felt doing the task.

1 person found this review helpful
  7. 3.0
    Current Employee

Cafe Is Fine, Pay Is Not

Aug 30, 2021 - Barista in Indianapolis, IN
    Business Outlook

Pros

I had prior Starbucks barista experience, which made the training period relatively easy. You can sneak tips from customers under the table, assuming your service is good. The 40% in-store discount for cafe items and books is awesome.

Cons

That being said, I was told during my interview I could receive $9.50/hour because of that experience, but am instead being paid only $9/hour due to the company not being able to “afford it” (whatever that means for B&N, a multi-billion dollar company). Even now, I still haven’t seen a pay increase, and I’m now being expected to learn the duties of a Bookseller, despite that 1) not being my job title, and 2) not being something I asked for or was asked about. It’s very frustrating, but I stay because I’m good at it.

8. 4.0

Bookseller and Barista

Oct 24, 2021 - Bookseller in West Chester, OH
    Business Outlook

Pros

The co-workers and 30% discount off of books and 50% off of the cafe (at the time)

Cons

The cafe discount was reduced to 30% by the time I left, some of the customers were awful.

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Fantastic Place to work, but it has it's flaws.

Mar 24, 2021 - Café Server/Barista in North Wales, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

As a part-time gig it's great, fun people, super friendly, and since you're working in the cafe, you get to make and serve some pretty flavored cool drinks that you can invent. The real magic are your fellow co-workers, all of them have great sense of humors, and are always there to help and support you.

Cons

The obvious cons however are the work loads, it can get overwhelming and you may be alone for a chuck of it. To be fair; a number booksellers have been cross trained to support you in case it gets too hectic, but there will be times where your ability to work under pressure will be put to the test. (Here's some tips: keep a sense of humor, breathe, communication is key, and start the process of closing and cleaning a few hours early before you close, that way you can compensate for the "Last Minute Shoppers," so you can complete your tasks and leave at a reasonable time.)

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not as good as you think

Oct 11, 2021 - Bookseller
    Business Outlook

Pros

Just the idea of working in a bookstore. If you are a booklover then you know the feeling. You get some free books preview. You get a 30% off employee discount but almost everything is expensive by 50%. You can find everything cheaper on Amazon or Walmart so do not spend your hard earn money even if management push for sale and they did this a lot in my store. One employee was spending all her paycheck because the management would be pushing sales to their employees. Even the cafe is expensive and tasteless. Buy from Starbucks and earn points.

Cons

Everything. After 3 CEO changes in one year, they were still unsure. Policies and rules changed every day. You are not measured by how much book you sell but how much membership. The Area directors are very pushy and aggressive. make everyone stressful. The managers are lazy. They would spent all they in the office. Multiple times I've walked in and they were either on their phone or eating. Once I caught them watching movies. They wouldn't answer to calls or help on the register. I would beg them to help with the line of people but nothing. Instead I would be the one facing customers frustration. One time the manager told me that's why I'm hired when I said a customer is upset about her order and would like to get a refund but the system won't allow me to process it. The management in the store was soooo horrible that a year after my hiring date, I was the only one from my time of hiring. They had hired 10 people. Their turnover was well over 60%. But instead of looking into the manager, the store would hire more people. I went back to the store after the pandemic there were only 4 people, and all 4 people are senior employees who have been in the company for over 15 years.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 391 Reviews