Barney & Barney Benefits Reviews | Glassdoor

Barney & Barney Benefits Reviews

Updated Sep 7, 2017

Found 4 reviews

2.3
Barney & Barney CEO Paul J. Hering (no image)
Paul J. Hering

"Great company culture, tough to get promoted, low turnover"

Current Employee - Benefit Analyst in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Barney & Barney full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Everyone that works there is fantastic - hard working, driven, and excited to work. The culture is focused on training the right employees and keeping their employees happy. Work/life balance seemed important to the leaders.

Cons

The pay and benefits weren't great.

Barney & Barney2014-11-03

"There is a reason they are always hiring."

Former Employee - Benefits Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Barney & Barney full-time for more than a year

Pros

Sorry I have none.

Cons

Good ol' boys club lack of diversity low pay low bonus- sometimes no bonus even though it is put in your offer letter horrible management- Management has never been trained on how to manage no training- the training is laughable hourly positions unless your upper management you pay for parking every week benefits are expensive disorganized

Advice to Management

Not sure if there is a point in adding advice to management because Barney and Barney is the type of employer that sadly has gotten away with doing things in a certain horrible fashion that they are actually delusional in thinking that their great. One of the reasons that they believe that is the majority of their hires are straight out of college. People who really either didn’t have ANY real world, real job... experience so it’s the blind leading the blind that almost like a cult these dumb dumbs think this is a great company; when actually they just don’t know better. Your company is like jumping into a time machine where it is heavily white male dominating. Actually the entire company lacks serious diversity. It is heavily white and I am talking sorority girl, frat bro, old white man make America Great again white. There are a few other race and culture hires but considering the area the company is located it is pretty embarrassing. The companies training is god awful they do these horrible “Newbe Classes”; of which if you have your license already are a complete joke! There is no serious forethought or planning to train you on your job as you come on board. I sat at my cubicle for a month doing literally nothing and not a single person even came by to check on me. I came to find that is the norm especially in the Employee Benefits Department. The producers and Principal Agents are jerks, you may find one or two that are okay but for the most part they are absent, don’t lead their teams, are dismissive to their team and really just horrible people. You will be told that you are hourly and paid bonuses and that because you are hourly that you have the ability to make more than offered. The problem with that is depending on the producer you are a part of there is an expectation to work all hours even at home which I am pretty sure is illegal in the state of California. However because the Producers get to do whatever they want it is never controlled. Again I don’t think there can be any advice; you would have to get rid of the Good ol’ boys club way of thinking.

Barney & Barney2017-09-07

Barney & Barney Response

September 14, 2017Corporate Communications Director

Thank you for your comments. We welcome every opportunity to become a better employer and are disappointed to hear about your experiences while with the company. We did want to address some of your comments in particular and hopefully clear up any misconceptions: • Turnover in ...

"If the principal doesn't like you then they will find an excuse to fire you."

Former Employee - Benefits in San Diego, CA

I worked at Barney & Barney full-time for less than a year

Pros

Well known in the community and good location near freeways. Nice building to work in. Onsite gym facility. Community service opportunities for employees.

Cons

Lack of leadership from principals and CSE's. They have their favorites. You have to Pay for parking each week from your weekly paycheck. 3-5years for a promotion and they lack training in how to do the job. You either sink or swim.

Advice to Management

You need leaders not just managers.

Barney & Barney2016-03-17

"Benefits"

Former Employee - Benefits in San Diego, CA

I worked at Barney & Barney full-time for more than a year

Pros

A lot of business = a lot of work = always busy. Most customers are really nice, 90%. You will like it a lot if you have the skill and or learn fast. Lots of junk food, and fun time and fun people. The majority are fun.

Cons

About 1/3 of the work force is unemployable elsewhere. They work there bc they have key contacts i.e. a manager is a relative or a client is their relative. Not to be mean but, working with people who have mental disabilities is tough. This group often runs to the bosses complaining. If you are hired from the outside, you're likely hired to clean up their mess. What ever you do, do not make this group upset. Worst... if you become friends with them it will be like the nutty cousin who doesn't leave you alone. Pay is on the low side, but a great deal is spent on marketing to keep everyone employed. You have to pay for parking.

Advice to Management

Be fair. You are losing too many good people, and most new hires quit too soon. You might want to slow down the hiring of personal "friends" of managers.

Barney & Barney2015-04-27