Barokas Public Relations Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Howie Barokas

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Enjoy coming to work everyday"

I have been working at Barokas Public Relations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Barokas Public Relations is unlike any other agency I've worked at. People you work with genuinely care and enjoy working with each other which creates a positive work environment. You'll hear rumbling of laughing and smiles as you walk in the door. The clients range in size and needs which challenges you to learn something new daily and sharpen skills in strategy, writing and pitching. The CEO & leadership team truly care about you and will support you taking on new projects that are passion driven. They are always open for fresh ideas and believe in their employees being genuinely happy in life - allowing you to not feel guilty having a work life balance. (Rare to find at a PR agency.)

Cons

Barokas Public Relations is growing because of the great work being done, but it also provides challenges of going from a small, hip agency to an agency that has to implement processes. Be patient as the agency and leadership works on implementing processes - communicate if you feel like something can be improved.

Advice to Management

Over communicate. Communicate directly to employees when decisions or adjustments impact their day-to-day. Communicate to employees about promotions, teams or potential new teams and about conversations that are going on about them - before they find out through the grape vine. It's a smaller size agency so people talk and rather be told from the source.

2. "Navy Seals of PR"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Barokas Public Relations full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Hands-on experience from day one, amazing people, no limit to growth opportunity, great pay, freedom to make decisions about your career path

Cons

At times, hard to maintain a work-life balance (although the mgmt team does all they can to help mitigate this)

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Barokas is the navy seals of PR because of the environment you've created. Employees are high-performers because from day one, they're exposed to every facet of PR, which allows them to learn on a fast-track compared to other agencies. I also appreciate that you don't constrain employees to their titles or job descriptions. If they want to try to take on a higher level project or participate in a new business opportunity, they have the support of their entire team to do so. You've managed to create a company culture the celebrates hard work and results, while still maintaining a fun, light-hearted work environment.

3. "Young and Hungry Media Coverage Pros"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at Barokas Public Relations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Barokas PR is one of the few firms in the business that really delivers on client's media relations goals. Even with small startups, the extremely motivated team secures top tier coverage consistently. Employees are committed to working extremely hard and really invest in their clients' success. The team in Denver is relatively young, but incredibly hungry to deliver and learn from more senior team members. The office offers a positive work environment with friendly, supportive staff and work from home Friday's are a major bonus. Leadership is incredibly understanding and work to ensure employees are happy but remain challenged.

Cons

Media relations is the main focus at BPR so, the agency definitely has room to expand service offerings to address additional client needs and is in the process of doing exactly that.

Advice to Management

Stick to BPR's core values and continue to emphasize agency culture. As agency grow quickly, those things tend to erode rapidly. Continue to listen to feedback from both employees and clients and set goals that allow all parties to benefit from BPR's success.

4. "Positive, hardworking environment with tons of opportunities"

I have been working at Barokas Public Relations full-time

Pros

The BPR team is driven, hardworking, and above all else - passionate about their jobs and delivering good work on behalf of our clients. I'm continually inspired by the people I work with at every level, from AAEs to our CEO. The atmosphere is laid back, people are friendly, and good deeds don't go unnoticed: people are continually highlighted and congratulated via email, chat or social media for client wins.

Cons

If you're looking to coast... it won't work here. While you don't need to have a tech background to work at BPR, it would definitely help. Expect to work hard. Work/life balance definitely exists (despite some other reviews)... it's just on you to make it happen!

Advice to Management

In the few months I've been at BPR, I've definitely noticed that management not only asks for feedback... but actually does something with it, which is really encouraging to newer employees. Keep at it.

5. "Great team and clients, tons of growth opportunity, creative/interactive environment"

Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Barokas Public Relations full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

BPR has fostered a unique work environment that presents each team member, from entry level to upper management, the opportunity to actively contribute to the success of every client through new idea generation, create approaches, driving campaigns, etc. Each team member is encouraged (and expected) to participate in client facing interactions. There's no question that the work challenges you to continually refine your PR skills on a daily basis and you'll be held accountable to bring your work to successful completion. If you want a position where you can cut your chops in an extremely fast past environment, jump in and get your hands dirty, forge relationships with awesome clients and media, and work alongside some of the most talented, creative and hilarious people I've ever met, then BPR is the place for you.

Cons

As with any work environment, BPR isn't for everyone. Don't expect to take the job and go under the radar. Each team member plays an imperative role on every account. It's expected that you are accountable and take responsibility for your work, which requires BPR'ers to be highly organized, adaptable individuals that thrive in times of chaos. No day is ever the same (which is the beauty of PR) and to work here you must embrace that with wide open arms.

Advice to Management

It's so appreciated that management routinely solicit feedback from the entire staff, internalize it and continually work to adjust processes to meet the needs of our growing team. Each employee knows they have a voice within the company and that's something I value.

6. "Huge opportunities for growth"

Current Employee - AAE in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - AAE in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Barokas Public Relations full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Barokas PR is for you if you like working hard, bettering yourself, and delivering results. The people are smart and full of personality, and usually willing to share their expertise. You'll learn a ton about the Seattle tech/startup industry and sharpen your basic media relations skills. Leadership supports professional and personal development by offering paid days to network, take workshops or support charity. Raises and promotions are fairly regular if your performance is up to standard. You will absolutely be a better PR professional after working at Barokas.

Cons

If you're looking to just skate by, do NOT apply. The learning curve is sharp and not for the faint of heart. You will work long hours, but contrary to other reviews you can have balance if you advocate for yourself and set boundaries. Staff is young, and AEs/AAEs outnumber more senior positions which can make manager and mentor relationships difficult.

Advice to Management

Keep soliciting feedback from employees and implementing changes. One of the best parts about BPR is that even low-level employees have their voices heard!

7. "Public Relations Intern"

Former Employee - PR Intern in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - PR Intern in Denver, CO

I worked at Barokas Public Relations (Less than a year)

Pros

The team is fun and energetic. Anyone will answer your questions.

Cons

There is no work, life balance. You are expected to eat lunch over your laptop. I was told that I would be added onto the team and then a week later they hired someone else instead after three months of working there for free. You are expected to be a machine, not a human.

Jan 9, 2017 – SVP

Thank you for your compliments about our team – we work hard to foster an open environment and are happy you benefited from that during your time at the agency. I understand you are disappointed that... More

8. "Young workforce presents challenges"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Barokas Public Relations full-time

Pros

A great place to learn the fundamentals of PR.

Cons

You really need an outgoing personality and a love of meetings to succeed here. The staff is very young and turns over quickly.

Advice to Management

Invest in real leadership training rather than grow teams from interns only. Tone from the top is important.

Sep 19, 2016 – SVP

Thanks for sharing your feedback on your time at the agency. We work to create an environment where learning and new ideas flow between all levels of staff. Our seasoned PR pros spend time mentoring... More

9. "Great team doing great work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

Pros

Working at Barokas PR is a great opportunity to do meaningful work for clients making a difference in the industry. You'll get to do the kind of PR that will advance your career in today's market—which is heavily tech centered. You'll also get to work with a team of savvy professionals who will teach you new skills everyday through leading by example. Barokas PR is a great group of unique individuals who all bring something original to the table in a non-caddy environment unlike any PR firm I've worked in before.

Cons

Barokas PR is not fluff PR. You will be challenged, and you'll be expected to keep up with the team and contribute your thoughts. If you're not a team player, or too unconfident to lend your voice to the discussion, than this is not the PR firm for you, because they don't put anyone in the corner, every employee is expected to contribute and lead.

Advice to Management

The management team at Barokas is professional and beyond knowledgeable in the tech industry. Each leader manages in their own unique style which provides a well-rounded environment for employees to learn and thrive.

Sep 19, 2016 – SVP

Thank you for sharing your feedback and recognizing the opportunities we provide the team to contribute at every level - we appreciate the input.

10. "Loved it"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

I have been working at Barokas Public Relations (Less than a year)

Pros

Barokas is the kind of place you’ll want to work at if you want to bust your a** and become a better PR professional. There are definitely a ton of perks in a very fun environment with some really great people that you can learn a lot from. Would absolutely recommend it to anyone looking to learn and grow quickly from a group of people that really know their stuff.

Cons

Wouldn't recommend for those who lack attention to detail or are looking to coast from coffee break to coffee break. Very hard workers here.