Barr-Nunn Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "OTR Truck Driver"

Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My good driving record,in part the result of company managements being aware of hazardous conditions at shipping customers. Very Safety conscious company. Seems to value the employee drivers need to earn a good pay check and have time for other obligations,family,children,and other matters. Contact people on nights and weekends are usually available and helpful. Mostly good equipment,and Safety record. "IMPORTANT" Team Leader is the person to contact for help with Barr-Nunn needs.

Cons

Over obligated to family atmosphere. Some of us don't need to cultivate our family connections. Be careful visiting company offices everywhere Charlotte,NC. ,Manchester,PA.,Columbus,OH.,Jacksonville,FL.,Granger,IA., Thanks Everyone.

Advice to Management

Perfecting freight base Barr-Nunn needs to limit commitments for short miles, with long waits.

"Stay away if your wise"

Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - OTR Truck Driver in Charleston, SC

I worked at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time

Pros

Honestly not a single positive thing here

Cons

They lie about the pay, you do not get anything close to what they show on the website. Driver managers do not care if your dead in a ditch do the job make it as easy for them to do their time so they can go home. If you get to park somewhere where you can shower more than 1 time a week feel lucky, more often you will be running off your 8 day clock and pray you can park at the shipper or receiver because you won't have time to look for a place to park. Keep food in your truck you will need it! This place makes PAM transport look good and thats saying something. Going here was the biggest mistake we ever made. Never met a single driver working there that was happy. At the end of 7 days you will be lucky to finish with 2200 miles. In the 7 weeks we were here we had 3 days off. Most misrable place you will ever deal with.

Advice to Management

Deliver what you promise. Treat your drivers how you would want to be treated
     Oh and give them time for basics like showers and. Even the farmers spray off their hogs on occasion.

3. "OTR Driver"

Former Employee - OTR in Granger, IN
    Former Employee - OTR in Granger, IN

I worked at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None when you take a look at all there is.

Cons

It's a nightmare. Enjoy constant fatigue.

Advice to Management

Don't lie about what you expect.

"Regional Driver"

Current Employee - Regional Driver in Granger, IA
    Current Employee - Regional Driver in Granger, IA

I have been working at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice trucks, good ppl, nice staff.
    Good benefits. Quarterly bonus pay. Home on most weekends. Safe equipment

Cons

Trucks don't have a APU units or power inverters unless you drive team. Barr Nunn does not offer cancel pay if your load cancels on you. Miles are inconsistent. After your 10-hour break is up you can't start driving for another couple to a few hours due to the pickup time for your next load. Qualcomm's are slow, laggy and too much of the same information is required in multiple macros. Barr Nunn does not believe in deadheading which leads to you sitting at a truck-stop and/or customer. The review from the person dated February 6th 2017 is too hard to believe that the driver grossed $73,000 last yr and $88,000 the next. I'm starting round 2 for employment and nothing's changed. My last employment was only for 5 months and my weekly pay was a joke! Like the person said in another review unless you live with your mom and live off 1600 a month, it's not worth working for this company. I'm seeking employment else where believe me!

Advice to Management

Need to build up the customer count and believe in deadheading to increase driver count. Upgrade/change the software for the qualcomm so less information is required and so it's not slow, laggy.

"Truck driver"

Current Employee - Truck Driver
    Current Employee - Truck Driver

I have been working at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Barr-Nunn is a really great company to work for. They've treated me and my wife (who's not a driver) as part of the family. None of their loads are difficult. They don't ask you to do anything but what they're willing to pay you for. Detention time, which is rare due to 95% drop and hook, bonuses every 3 mo, 401k 2 cent a mile match, good blue cross insurance, premium band pay any load less than 500 mi... they pay $45 if you have to sweep a trailer. The list goes on. They don't take advantage of you and sincerely treat you like you're a proud member of the family. I've drove for almost 30 years. This is the best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

Like any driver anywhere, always wish for more consistent miles. Realistically, unless you're willing to go dedicated, which I'm not--too boring-- that wish remains am unrealistic dream. Better off to figure an average. Bottom line- I grossed $73,000 last yr and $88,000 this year, none of which was pd as a "per diem"

"Barr nunn"

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

Pros

Company driver pay is good bonus money get paid incentives are payed money preety decent time home on the weekends

Cons

miles can be inconsistent sometimes loads from receivers were not ready on time and hurt your 14 hour clock work loads from customers were slow at times and you may be sitting at a truck stop for hours or a day

"sad"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Des Moines, IA

Pros

There is no reason to work at this company unless u live with your mom n can live off $1600/month.

Cons

You are a logbook here. They have no respect for u as a human. They expect you to sit up all day n drive all night. They frequently call you so it would be wise to have a personal cell as well as the business phone u provide them with upon hiring. They only do high value short haul. You get paid for 5 hrs out of 24. Too much to list. They make many demands but have nothing to offer. Don't believe the advertisements or any driver trying to recruit you. This is how they eat. Hard to live off $300/wk n that's if you never go home.

Advice to Management

Read above. Shameful

"Good people to work with"

I have been working at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time

Pros

Close knit group. Management is responsive to employees and don't hide much. The company is very stable and has great backing by the new owners.

Cons

Everyone is great except for one person in IT. I don't want to say more because he is vindictive and just a jerk to everyone except his superiors.

"Things could improve..."

Current Employee - Regional Driver
    Current Employee - Regional Driver

I have been working at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Barr-Nunn is an easy company to work with because most of the time they give you easy drop and hook loads with all the time in the world to deliver them. All the docks that I have been to are at warehouses and require no blind side backing. They pay you safety bonuses every 90 days if you don't have any issues on the road. My team leader is very kind and patient which is very helpful when they screw up or a load is canceled. My truck is very well maintained and I haven't had any issues in quite some time. Pay is ok but could be better if they stopped letting me sit around all day. The Qualcomm is nice in that I don't have to talk to management but it is very time consuming. Peoples Net would be nice or even Big Road would be a much better choice.

Cons

Barr-Nunn doesn't pay you when you've driven to your pick-up and the load is canceled and then you have to wait 20 plus hours to roll to your next pick up. A whole day wasted and no layover pay/detention. They have this crappy rule about sitting around for 34 hours or so without a load assigned to you to pay you layover pay when all they have to do is assign a dummy load to you until they find a new load or just cancel that one later.

Detention pay is 10.00 an hr after the first hour yet when I get my detention pay its normally less. More like 5.00 an hr.

The freight-liner cascadia is a great truck but mine does not have a top bunk so it's a bit of a pain trying to organize my truck comfortably without that cargo space. The trucks have no apu's and so the drivers need to keep their trucks on so they don't suffocate to death but they don't like that too much so they send messages every week telling us how much fuel we blew idling the trucks. But hey let's put new inverters in the trucks. Really helpful when you're driving all day.

The safety department is a pain in the a**. God forgive you if you make a mistake then they will not be very nice and will blow up your Qualcomm asking you to contact them. I mean if I'm driving down the highway, call me!!! I'm not pulling over to read your messages!!! I'm about this money!

Advice to Management

Safety go take a chill pill and let the professionals drive, pay the drivers even when loads are canceled (not working for free and it's not our fault), detention pay is 10 bucks an hour....keep it at 10, APU the trucks. Will save you immensely. Hell ask knight for some money. I hear they're debt free.

"Feel like I'm chasing my tail."

Pros

I'll come back to this. Once I've been her longer.

Cons

Ran as many miles as a solo driver, with my last company, than I do as s team driver here. E-logs take forever to come thru, computer's way too slow..resubmitting the same information on every macro takes up valuable drive time, not enough time to get a shower, even though you've only driven 4,000 miles for the week, as a team? Etc.,etc.,etc.

Advice to Management

Get the Qualcomm's programmed so when you've entered the information from one macro,with the same load number, you're not having too re-enter that info every time. For example, load#,current y trailer number, TIME OF ARRIVAL, etc.