Barr-Nunn Transportation Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Rene Beacom

1. "Truck driver"

I have been working at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Barr-Nunn is a really great company to work for. They've treated me and my wife (who's not a driver) as part of the family. None of their loads are difficult. They don't ask you to do anything but what they're willing to pay you for. Detention time, which is rare due to 95% drop and hook, bonuses every 3 mo, 401k 2 cent a mile match, good blue cross insurance, premium band pay any load less than 500 mi... they pay $45 if you have to sweep a trailer. The list goes on. They don't take advantage of you and sincerely treat you like you're a proud member of the family. I've drove for almost 30 years. This is the best company I've ever worked for.

Cons

Like any driver anywhere, always wish for more consistent miles. Realistically, unless you're willing to go dedicated, which I'm not--too boring-- that wish remains am unrealistic dream. Better off to figure an average. Bottom line- I grossed $73,000 last yr and $88,000 this year, none of which was pd as a "per diem"

"Barr nunn"

Former Employee - Truck Driver
    Former Employee - Truck Driver

Pros

Company driver pay is good bonus money get paid incentives are payed money preety decent time home on the weekends

Cons

miles can be inconsistent sometimes loads from receivers were not ready on time and hurt your 14 hour clock work loads from customers were slow at times and you may be sitting at a truck stop for hours or a day

"sad"

Current Employee - Truck Driver in Des Moines, IA
    Current Employee - Truck Driver in Des Moines, IA

Pros

There is no reason to work at this company unless u live with your mom n can live off $1600/month.

Cons

You are a logbook here. They have no respect for u as a human. They expect you to sit up all day n drive all night. They frequently call you so it would be wise to have a personal cell as well as the business phone u provide them with upon hiring. They only do high value short haul. You get paid for 5 hrs out of 24. Too much to list. They make many demands but have nothing to offer. Don't believe the advertisements or any driver trying to recruit you. This is how they eat. Hard to live off $300/wk n that's if you never go home.

Advice to Management

Read above. Shameful

"Good people to work with"

I have been working at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time

Pros

Close knit group. Management is responsive to employees and don't hide much. The company is very stable and has great backing by the new owners.

Cons

Everyone is great except for one person in IT. I don't want to say more because he is vindictive and just a jerk to everyone except his superiors.

"Things could improve..."

Current Employee - Regional Driver

I have been working at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Barr-Nunn is an easy company to work with because most of the time they give you easy drop and hook loads with all the time in the world to deliver them. All the docks that I have been to are at warehouses and require no blind side backing. They pay you safety bonuses every 90 days if you don't have any issues on the road. My team leader is very kind and patient which is very helpful when they screw up or a load is canceled. My truck is very well maintained and I haven't had any issues in quite some time. Pay is ok but could be better if they stopped letting me sit around all day. The Qualcomm is nice in that I don't have to talk to management but it is very time consuming. Peoples Net would be nice or even Big Road would be a much better choice.

Cons

Barr-Nunn doesn't pay you when you've driven to your pick-up and the load is canceled and then you have to wait 20 plus hours to roll to your next pick up. A whole day wasted and no layover pay/detention. They have this crappy rule about sitting around for 34 hours or so without a load assigned to you to pay you layover pay when all they have to do is assign a dummy load to you until they find a new load or just cancel that one later.

Detention pay is 10.00 an hr after the first hour yet when I get my detention pay its normally less. More like 5.00 an hr.

The freight-liner cascadia is a great truck but mine does not have a top bunk so it's a bit of a pain trying to organize my truck comfortably without that cargo space. The trucks have no apu's and so the drivers need to keep their trucks on so they don't suffocate to death but they don't like that too much so they send messages every week telling us how much fuel we blew idling the trucks. But hey let's put new inverters in the trucks. Really helpful when you're driving all day.

The safety department is a pain in the a**. God forgive you if you make a mistake then they will not be very nice and will blow up your Qualcomm asking you to contact them. I mean if I'm driving down the highway, call me!!! I'm not pulling over to read your messages!!! I'm about this money!

Advice to Management

Safety go take a chill pill and let the professionals drive, pay the drivers even when loads are canceled (not working for free and it's not our fault), detention pay is 10 bucks an hour....keep it at 10, APU the trucks. Will save you immensely. Hell ask knight for some money. I hear they're debt free.

"Not so good"

Former Employee - Regional Truck Driver in Fayetteville, WV
    Former Employee - Regional Truck Driver in Fayetteville, WV

I worked at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There a job without all they advertise

Cons

Lies upon lies,1 day home time for Regional drivers, Bonus is a joke along with there sign on pay.

Advice to Management

Hire planners who can read messages and a MAP!

"Feel like I'm chasing my tail."

Pros

I'll come back to this. Once I've been her longer.

Cons

Ran as many miles as a solo driver, with my last company, than I do as s team driver here. E-logs take forever to come thru, computer's way too slow..resubmitting the same information on every macro takes up valuable drive time, not enough time to get a shower, even though you've only driven 4,000 miles for the week, as a team? Etc.,etc.,etc.

Advice to Management

Get the Qualcomm's programmed so when you've entered the information from one macro,with the same load number, you're not having too re-enter that info every time. For example, load#,current y trailer number, TIME OF ARRIVAL, etc.

"decide on your own"

I have been working at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great pay, best in the industry home time, good reputation with their customers

Cons

not for team drivers, good miles but runs are not long enough, wears teams out. Great for solos though.

Advice to Management

teams looking to come to barr nunn are discouraged because of the short runs and ive seen other teams leave because of this. We w ere pulled from a 17 hr. run and given a 5-6 hr. run. Not happy at all. We will probable leave after the first of the year You want to keep teams then make sure the DM,s are told to keep them on long runs. Or other wise it will be a revolving door for good teams.

"Over a year team"

Current Employee - Otr Team Truck Driver in Elkton, MD
    Current Employee - Otr Team Truck Driver in Elkton, MD

I have been working at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Barr Nunn is hands down one of the top truckinf companies for pay ,equipment an safety out there today.we are honored to work for such an outstanding compnwy

Cons

Besides dispatch having their own bad days an can come off a little rude (but hey everybody has bad days ) an the trailer inspections when u pick one up . We give Barr Nunn a 4 out of 5 star rating.

Advice to Management

When a team runs close to our of hours let time make the decision to sit for a restart so we don't lose miles :-)

"Disapointed, could be a really good experience"

Current Employee - Regional Driver

I have been working at Barr-Nunn Transportation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, if they keep you moving. Good benefits, electronic logs.

Cons

Supervisor/dispatcher are not aware of the concept of pre-planning. Will change your load 4-5 times before you get rolling. Meanwhile every time they call to change your orders they wake you up. A lot of wasted time waiting means less money for me and for the company. Dispatchers, team leaders, whatever you call them need more training and need to be more responsive and available. Politeness would be an added bonus.

Advice to Management

Training, training, training on logistics, pre-planning, communication skills, etc.