Barra & Associates Reviews

Updated Feb 15, 2021

4.9
Barra & Associates Managing Partner Grant Barra
Grant Barra
Pros
  • "Great support from managers and back-of-house staff(in 4 reviews)

• "Business and sales training it very good(in 4 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Hard work, rejection is the norm in this line of business(in 5 reviews)

• "business owner thinking was hard for me(in 3 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

My own agency with support and technology.

Feb 15, 2021 - Agency Owner in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Turn-key business, great for those that are ready to move from working for a company as an employee to take more control of your future income as an owner. My support has made themselves available during and after hours. Technology is a must to compete and this platform makes learning and growing easy with these tools.

Cons

Initial investment in my business (I get the value and couldn't do this on my own without them, so they earned it).

1 person found this review helpful
    2. 5.0

Multi-line Insurance Agency Owner

Nov 5, 2020 - Multi-line Insurance Agency Owner in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

What I can offer someone is better than what they already have almost every time. The team that supports me and the team that helps my clients (note: I do not pay them out of my pocket) are seasoned professionals. Straight talk, no smoke and mirrors like other companies I was previously with. AND I own my own business, feels so awesome to say that!

Cons

Not a big household name. That is what I originally thought, though now I realize I represent many of the biggest names and not just one. I put this in the "cons" section because that is what it was at the start until I realized.

Continue reading
    3. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

A real career in insurance.

Jun 7, 2020 - Agent in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is the best landing spot for anyone in the insurance space. I didn't have sales experience because I always thought of it as a slimy endeavor. This company taught me how to be a respected consultant that always does right by my client. If you are willing to set your excuses aside and learn the business you will make 6 figures in 3 years.

Cons

Much of today's insurance is sold over the phone. Took me some time to get over the fear of picking up the phone. No salary all commission initially frightened me but if you go all in you'll succeed. So grateful for this opportunity.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best insurance opportunity in the Midwest.

May 28, 2020 - Agent in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

This is great company if your interested in selling insurance and financial products. Access to all lines, specialists and support is always available, great training, culture and compensation. It is 100% commission but to those who work hard at it, they are building a life time business. The practice is mine, opportunity to open an agency if I choose.

5. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Recommended!

May 7, 2020 - Agent in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Able to offer the best products for clients. Best technology. Support staff makes themselves available even after hours (they rock). And, my mentor/coach is super smart, cares about everything I care about.

Cons

Normal stuff that comes with being an entrepreneur. Highs are really high, lows are not so bad, my advice is to maintain consistent activity and it is impossible not to succeed.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

The business model and platform allow any hard worker to have success!

Apr 6, 2020 - Agent in Chicago, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Since joining Barra I feel like I have more control over my financial life, and feel good about telling people what I do. I thought it would take a lot longer to get through the learning curve, but it was short, and the support was amazing, the whole process allowed me to start generating income much faster than expected. My advice to those that join is to trust the process and work hard, it is worth it!

Cons

You are not an employee, if you are looking to just be an employee this may be a con.

7. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Clear blueprint for people motivated by success and money.

Apr 16, 2020 - Agent in Schaumburg, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Clear blueprint for success. This is the right place for someone entrepreneurial minded, someone that wants to be their own boss. The industry and Barra allows for the opportunity to succeed at a high level and earn significant compensation in the process. The coaching and support is very good, I recommend you take full advantage.

Cons

If you are not motivated by success and money you are not likely to have a high level of success or make a lot of money in this industry. With that said, Barra has a clear blueprint to succeed, so it is not really a negative about the company.

1 person found this review helpful
    8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

A+ for how the company is handling a crisis (2020 Pandemic)

Mar 24, 2020 - Agent in Rolling Meadows, IL
      Business Outlook

Pros

Just about all the businesses are closed due to the shelter-in-place order in Illinois because of the pandemic. I was concerned but the company rolled out virtual training and has helped me continue to meet with clients virtually through a video chat platform that they provided. I feel like that was above and beyond during these times.

Cons

No access to the office due to the "shelter-in-place" order in Illinois. We are told access will be given once the order is lifted.

9. 5.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Agent

Mar 9, 2020 - Agent
      Business Outlook

Pros

Five stars because everything was as discussed during the interview process and all the people are really smart and helpful. A lot of people do very well. I am just not a business person.

Cons

Compensation is tied to activity and production. I just want to show up and get paid and not have to talk to people or sell anything.

10. 5.0

I own my Agency.

Feb 28, 2020 - Agency Partner
      Business Outlook

Pros

I own my Agency, as low of overhead as you can get while being an owner, I don't have to pay the staff that supports me out of pocket, I am offering better prices to almost everyone making it easy to write business, the stuff I don't want to do I can push off to other internal producers to do all the work while I still get credit, the marketing and lead programs work well.

Cons

The idea of giving up my guaranteed paycheck was the hardest part. With that said the fact I am now in control of my own financial future makes me feel real good about my life.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 65 English Reviews