Barra & Associates Reviews

4.9
Barra & Associates Managing Partner Grant Barra
Grant Barra
Pros
Cons
  • "Hard work, rejection is the norm in this line of business(in 5 reviews)

• "business owner thinking was hard for me(in 3 reviews)

1. "I am able to offer more coverage at a lower cost just about every time."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Barra & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is sales so it is very important to access options that benefit the client to be successful. I am able to offer more coverage at a lower cost with just about every client, it is really a no-brainer. The technology is great and the support is even better. I was worried that this was to good to be true at first but they really have this business dialed in... Cant imagine doing this on my own, if its even possible.

Cons

Any downsides I have experienced have to do with a poor choice of clientele and not the company itself.

2. "A real career in insurance."

I have been working at Barra & Associates full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is the best landing spot for anyone in the insurance space. I didn't have sales experience because I always thought of it as a slimy endeavor. This company taught me how to be a respected consultant that always does right by my client. If you are willing to set your excuses aside and learn the business you will make 6 figures in 3 years.

Cons

Much of today's insurance is sold over the phone. Took me some time to get over the fear of picking up the phone. No salary all commission initially frightened me but if you go all in you'll succeed. So grateful for this opportunity.

3. "Best insurance opportunity in the Midwest."

I have been working at Barra & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

This is great company if your interested in selling insurance and financial products. Access to all lines, specialists and support is always available, great training, culture and compensation. It is 100% commission but to those who work hard at it, they are building a life time business. The practice is mine, opportunity to open an agency if I choose.

"Recommended!"

I have been working at Barra & Associates full-time for less than a year

Pros

Able to offer the best products for clients. Best technology. Support staff makes themselves available even after hours (they rock). And, my mentor/coach is super smart, cares about everything I care about.

Cons

Normal stuff that comes with being an entrepreneur. Highs are really high, lows are not so bad, my advice is to maintain consistent activity and it is impossible not to succeed.

5. "The business model and platform allow any hard worker to have success!"

Current Employee - Agent in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Barra & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Since joining Barra I feel like I have more control over my financial life, and feel good about telling people what I do. I thought it would take a lot longer to get through the learning curve, but it was short, and the support was amazing, the whole process allowed me to start generating income much faster than expected. My advice to those that join is to trust the process and work hard, it is worth it!

Cons

You are not an employee, if you are looking to just be an employee this may be a con.

6. "Clear blueprint for people motivated by success and money."

4.0
    Former Employee - Agent in Schaumburg, IL

I worked at Barra & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Clear blueprint for success. This is the right place for someone entrepreneurial minded, someone that wants to be their own boss. The industry and Barra allows for the opportunity to succeed at a high level and earn significant compensation in the process. The coaching and support is very good, I recommend you take full advantage.

Cons

If you are not motivated by success and money you are not likely to have a high level of success or make a lot of money in this industry. With that said, Barra has a clear blueprint to succeed, so it is not really a negative about the company.

7. COVID-19

"A+ for how the company is handling a crisis (2020 Pandemic)"

Current Employee - Agent in Rolling Meadows, IL

I have been working at Barra & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

Just about all the businesses are closed due to the shelter-in-place order in Illinois because of the pandemic. I was concerned but the company rolled out virtual training and has helped me continue to meet with clients virtually through a video chat platform that they provided. I feel like that was above and beyond during these times.

Cons

No access to the office due to the "shelter-in-place" order in Illinois. We are told access will be given once the order is lifted.

"Agent"

Former Employee - Agent

I worked at Barra & Associates full-time

Pros

Five stars because everything was as discussed during the interview process and all the people are really smart and helpful. A lot of people do very well. I am just not a business person.

Cons

Compensation is tied to activity and production. I just want to show up and get paid and not have to talk to people or sell anything.

"I own my Agency."

Current Employee - Agency Partner

I have been working at Barra & Associates part-time for more than a year

Pros

I own my Agency, as low of overhead as you can get while being an owner, I don't have to pay the staff that supports me out of pocket, I am offering better prices to almost everyone making it easy to write business, the stuff I don't want to do I can push off to other internal producers to do all the work while I still get credit, the marketing and lead programs work well.

Cons

The idea of giving up my guaranteed paycheck was the hardest part. With that said the fact I am now in control of my own financial future makes me feel real good about my life.

10. "From being captive to independent."

I have been working at Barra & Associates full-time for more than a year

Pros

The managers and staff make themselves available all the time. I have sent texts to my mentor as late as 9:30pm and got a phone call within minutes. I have experienced similar situations with some of the other support staff. All the people are very professional, likable, accountable, and seem to really want to get business done correctly and quickly. Lots of other good stuff too but that sticks out.

Cons

The change was scary. I was with one of the big captive carriers and thought they were the best thing since slice bread (at least that is what I believed in my bubble). I was talking to Barra for more than nine months before making the jump, wish I made that decision sooner.

Found 64 reviews