Barracuda Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Barracuda Networks President and CEO William Jenkins
William Jenkins

Pros
  • Other pros include: free lunch, bar and gym located at HQ (in 27 reviews)

• You can enjoy work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Total burnout position with extremely low pay (in 15 reviews)

• Pay isn't on par with similar positions which means you have a high turnover rate, which in turn causes problems (in 12 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

Barracuda is an incredible place to work - The value and experiences this company provides has been indispensable for me and many others.

This is a very fun place to work and I think the culture at its core is what really drives this place and its success. Management genuinely cares about the well being and development of it's people and it's directly reflected in the fact that 80-90%% of Barracuda's employees have spent 2,3,7,10+ years there.

Not only is the security and storage space exactly where you want to be from a technology vertical perspective but Barracuda also took the time to position themselves quite nicely with the emerging public cloud industry that is just starting to pick up steam.

You work hard, and they expect you to do so. It's the age old adage, you get out what you put in. If you take the time to bust your *** you will be noticed, rewarded and compensated - Simple as that, they love to promote from within and never lost their start-up feel even after having gone public.The C-level guys are out there on the floor everyday and will specifically help with your deals if asked, they're extremely accessible and truly enjoy being involved and helping people succeed.

From sales kickoff every year, to Cudaoke (karaoke), to the game room and bar downstairs, the catered lunches, the 5 star resort they'll fly you out too for hitting over 100% for the year, the celebrity guest speakers, the MMA ring in the middle of the sales floor; trust me there are tons of perks there. The skills you will receive there and the relationships you build with the people you work with I believe will help your career indefinitely moving forward, I can't thank them enough.

Cons

To some of the negative comments I see on some of these previous reviews, I get who these people are, I worked with them. I watched how they didn't work as hard as I did but were the first and loudest to express their displeasure.

Funny thing is Barracuda gave most of these people their start in tech or sales even. You don't necessarily need a background in technology to be brought on, they see and understand the value of character - That's what they're looking for. So I always found it funny that Barracuda gave these people their chance/start, basically giving them an actual career to build on and they are complaining about things like compensation, comparing themselves to people working for other tech companies who have 3+ years experience (these other places wouldn't have even given them the opportunity to work there)

At the end of the day if you work hard at Barracuda the accelerators are generous, you don't get something for nothing!

2. "Independent self starters a plus"

Current Employee - Corporate Drone in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Corporate Drone in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work schedules can be flexible
    The company likes a good idea and isn't afraid of change
    You can create your own path to success
    Some free lunches, activities, good co-workers

Cons

Not a lot of holidays or vacation
    Some departments in the company required to work holidays

Advice to Management

Some departments in the company have a lot of turnover and management challenges

"High turnover in support! Some employee are not reviewed regularly. Causing people to come and go"

Current Employee - Technical Support Tier I in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Tier I in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time

Pros

You have to be aggressive and push yourself but you can learn some good networking skills. It would be good for any employee to have some networking skill when starting here.

Cons

Support managment is unprofessional and bios. If they like you, you move ahead If not your stuck. Upper management is disconnected. It is not a atmosphere of sharing and caring it is an atmosphere of competitiveness in the wrong way

Advice to Management

Review all employees based on their own merit. Be honest with yourself

"Territory Manager"

Pros

This is a company you go to if you are looking to get into sales without any experience. If you truly work hard, put in the hours and show success, you will learn the entire sales cycle. Take in the full experience and learn! After you succeed at this, it is time to move on.

Cons

The nerf guns, full bar downstairs, and random fighting octagon on the sales floor is there to fool you of what you are worth in regards to pay.

Advice to Management

Understand what truly needs to be fixed at the company. Turn around is horrible, at least 5 people leave every month.

"Technical Support Rep"

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Technical Support Representative in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time

Pros

Laid back atmosphere for a call center. Challenging but rewarding work at times. Hour lunch break. Decent work culture.

Cons

To start off, the compensation rate is extremely below the industry norm. Little to no initial training, I felt totally neglected when I first started. Knowledge is not distributed well amongst the tech support team, have to rely a lot on Tier II and Tier III for guidance.

Advice to Management

Implement a more rigorous training plan for new hires and most importantly invest in your talent by paying them a livable compensation and just maybe the turnover rate will reduce.

"Content Intelligence Analyst"

Current Employee - Content Intelligence Analyst in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Content Intelligence Analyst in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks (More than a year)

Pros

Getting into the door for cyber security.

Cons

No growth, there is no advancements for career.

Advice to Management

Have more career advancements

8. "Working at Barracuda"

Former Employee - Customer Account Representative/Lead Generator in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks (More than 3 years)

Pros

Career advancement, Great parties, great co-workers

Cons

Career advancement even if you don't want it

"So-so. Good place to start or jumpstart technical career."

Former Employee - Technical Support Representative ­ Spam Firewall in South San Jose Hills, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks (Less than a year)

Pros

Great technology and learning launchpad. Free lunch. Well known.

Cons

Many reviewers have already stated the cons, mostly with corporate structure, or lack-thereof. They are spot on. However, if you go into this role with an understanding of what it is and what you will get out of it, you will be much better off. There are many stressed out people working here, stressed due to low pay, high demands, and no one to listen (except other stressed out coworkers). Don't let them drag you down, but it may be inevitable. Many people feel trapped. There is always a revolving door of people coming in and out. Stick to your plan of learning and GTFO ASAP. Don't even think about getting promoted. Oh and there's no training, just sitting next to coworkers and listening. I don't know a thing about the CEO. I guess he doesn't care to make himself known?

Advice to Management

Overhaul everything? Replace management? The company needs a new image. Right now it just looks cheap and greedy at the expense of employees and in turn, customers.

"Inside Sales"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A good place to learn security and storage solutions.

Cons

Only a good place to start working if you haven't been in tech sales. Barracuda will hire anyone that's willing to start a sales gig at $15 / hour. Just remember that your raises, no matter how far you go or succeed, will be based on your starting salary. In other words, learn and move on.

Advice to Management

Hire managers that are suited for the position. You need leaders not "yes men". Articulate to your employees why changes are being made to ease the office banter. Focus on keeping talent and stop being the "college". If you spend all the money on training people why not spend it to keep them around?

"Barracuda Networks Died with the Resignation of Dean Drako"

Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Specialist in Campbell, CA

Pros

I had a requirement to list at least 5 words in this section, however, I really only had one pro: Free lunch and coffee

Cons

Back in 2011 when I started my career at Barracuda Networks (5 years), there were happy employees, who didn't just work together, but were almost like family. There were trips to the Mountain Winery for concerts, tickets to sharks games, drinks, food and potlucks on holidays, Dean Drako (previous CEO) would have a monthly lunch meeting with new Barracuda employees to get acquainted, annual sales kick-off's were about motivating employees to work hard for the new year, and show appreciation of hard work in the prior year. I have seen Barracuda go through so many changes over the years, and since Dean Drako left, it has been a downward spiral. Barracuda is known to hire young men and women who crave for a career in the tech industry, and will work hard for a minimal wage, only to realize in a year or two that you can only move horizontally not vertically. The few that became successful were mostly those who had a relationship with executives/management prior to their careers at Barracuda. The lower management positions are a nothing but a joke. Barracuda mostly only considers current employees from basic sales roles who typically have little or no managerial experience. One of the employees hired for a managerial position chews tobacco every minute of the day, and recently did a sales announcement in front of the entire inside sales team with a dip hanging out of his mouth. There is no organized compensation plan for veterans at Barracuda, they do not give raises after a year, 5 years, 10 years. Instead, raises are typically only given when asked for, and are typically only with commission rather than your base salary. Just like 99% of the reviews posted here about Barracuda Networks, I have to again state, your base salary is not comparable to similar positions in the tech industry. Rather than incentivize their employees, Barracuda would rather spend their earnings on a large UFC cage built in the middle of the sales floor to be used for nothing but distracting announcements regarding negligible "spiffs", five-thousand dollar coffee machines, over ten 50'' screen TVs displayed in the "cuda-lounge" area that probably costed 10k+ to build ( employees don't really hang out here though), thousands of dollars spent monthly on lunches provided Monday-Wednesay, which gave half the company extreme food poisoning about 6 months ago, etc., etc.....the list goes on. All of the money spent on the above could have been spent on providing employees raises and incentives to stay at Barracuda and advance in their career. Barracuda's business model is no longer to simplify IT, it is to gain as much revenue for executives provided by its over-worked employees and a product that sells itself. I do not blame the short-lived employees, the veterans and executives that left Barracuda. Many, many talented people have come and gone at Barracuda. At one point I counted 8 employees leaving in one week. There is a high turnover rate, no incentives, low pay and poor management, so in other words, if you are looking at Barracuda for your next career, my advice is to look elsewhere for career opportunities. Don't waste your time and skills working for Barracuda.

Advice to Management

Sell the company