Barracuda Networks Reviews | Glassdoor

Barracuda Networks Reviews

Updated June 22, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Other pros include: free lunch, bar and gym located at HQ (in 28 reviews)

• You can enjoy work life balance (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Other than low pay everything else is great (in 16 reviews)

• Around a dozen women work in the Ann Arbor office, out of a total staff of 200ish (in 8 reviews)

"Ooooooooooo barracuda"

Current Employee - Technical Support Tier Ib in Ann Arbor, MI
    Current Employee - Technical Support Tier Ib in Ann Arbor, MI

Pros

Some perks like discounted drinks, and a keg. Location is ideal if you love dinning out, and dispensaries are everywhere. Fun town

Cons

All about metrics to get those promotions. Have to learn products mostly on your own, little support or higher tiers unless you're friends with them

Advice to Management

Management is fairly good, but above that - not so much

2. "The people here are great!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As the title says, the people here are what makes the company great. Everyone is smart, hard working, sociable, and overall, want to make our team awesome. Relaxed atmosphere for a corporate gig.

Cons

PTO isn't that great. Also, again, it's a corporate gig so there aren't perks that you would get at start-ups or private companies. The thing I miss the most are company outings, which Barracuda rarely does. I feel this is important to help keep employee morale up and make employees want to stick around with the company for a long time.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Management here is subjective dependent on what team you're on. If you're a manager that's touches base with your team once a week to stay in the loop, then great! If you don't you really should do that in order to keep on top of what's happening in your team member's world.

"Change is coming"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing employees, CEO is stellar and the culture is work hard, play hard!
    Benefits are great.

Cons

compensation, need a better 401k match.

"Engineering management in disarray"

Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good quality engineering team. Potential to work on interesting problems (but highly dependent on political support of management). HR has decent respect for work-life balance, although one of my managers did not. Stable and growing business provides decent job security.

Cons

In a little over three years, my team went through five managers. The first one had a decent road map but apparently had trouble selling it to mid to upper management. He eventually left in frustration and got a better job in another company. His replacement was managing several other teams at the same time. He discarded our entire road map and made the team focus on peripheral issues. When I explained my career goal to him, he replied asking why I wanted to do that. The team requested a replacement for him, but that was denied and most of the team quit. He was eventually promoted and we got a transitional manager, who introduced scrum and selected a developer from another team to manage us. The fourth manager had a focused road map and led the team well for a while. He tried to practice a technique of making the whole team work on the same single project at the same time, which is apparently a pet idea of some higher ranking manager in the company. That failed miserably for reasons that are well-known to anyone who has read *The Mythical Man-Month*. After a while, he mysteriously stopped having one-on-ones with us, and a few erratic decisions were made, it's not clear whether by him or by someone higher up in management. He too left in frustration and got a better job in another company. And his replacement too was managing other teams at the same time and scrapped most of the team's road map. The new manager said he would not support the concept of individualized areas of focus and the whole team would have the same career goals. Nevertheless, one team member, who apparently had political support from above, was still allowed to keep working on his own pet project separately.

In short, a train wreck.

Advice to Management

Beef up the cultural values of security and ethics. Focus on recruiting and retaining good people and listening to them. If you are going to practice scrum, practice it correctly with no arbitrary and capricious interference from outside the development team, and do not waste everyone's time and talents by making the entire team work on the same project at the same time. By all accounts, the stock grants are nothing. The bonus program is underfunded and lacks transparency. Distribution of desirable roles and projects appears to be politicized. Engineering management is too top-down. New managers should not discard items from the road maps of their predecessors before they have a detailed understanding of what the team is doing. There is not enough individual attention for employees. Scrap the poor stock grant and bonus programs and instead spend that money to have one manager for one engineering team, with that manager giving individualized goals for each team member tailored to the team member's specific areas of focus.

"Renewals specialist"

Former Employee - Renewals in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Renewals in Campbell, CA

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty chill place to work if you, provide food Monday through wed and have food trucks come in as well.

Cons

High Turnover Rate. What i mean by that is employees are always leaving the company due to pay or better oppotunities Managers if they don't like you they will look for a reason to fire you over something stupid. Pay is horrible Renewals is 15hr plus commission 4800 dollars

Advice to Management

If were closing million dollar deals give a lot more of the pie instead of crumbs

"Tier 2 Technical Support Engineer"

Current Employee - Tier II Technical Support Engineer in Campbell, CA
    Current Employee - Tier II Technical Support Engineer in Campbell, CA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time

Pros

They give nearly anyone a chance. If you know what you're worth, it's a good place to get in, learn, and get out. Don't spend more than a year here. If you do, you have no self respect.

Cons

The will use you. There is a major concern with racial discrimination. They claim to have a "path" in which you pass tests to get promoted although there are complaints about work visa renewals being threatened when employees question the lack of promotion. New hires making more than east indian leads that have been there 5+ years.

Total burnout position with extremely low pay. Management keeps moral and confidence low to prevent employees from thinking they can do better.

"Favorites" coming to work an hour late, leave an hour early, and come back from a 2 hour lunch overly "medicated". <--- This leads to a promotion.

HR department is the worst in the industry. Generalists don't know what they are doing. The logic of hiring nearly anybody makes sense for the technology part of the company, not the HR part. They need more than kids straight out of a 2 year community college handling the communication and scheduling of recruits.

Management continuously posts 4-5 star glass door reviews within days of a real review. Don't believe the actual average, just look at the low reviews and how long before you see a 4-5 star review.

Advice to Management

There is no advice to management because all of management is the problem and they all need to be replaced.

"Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Campbell, CA

Pros

Barracuda is an incredible place to work - The value and experiences this company provides has been indispensable for me and many others.

This is a very fun place to work and I think the culture at its core is what really drives this place and its success. Management genuinely cares about the well being and development of it's people and it's directly reflected in the fact that 80-90%% of Barracuda's employees have spent 2,3,7,10+ years there.

Not only is the security and storage space exactly where you want to be from a technology vertical perspective but Barracuda also took the time to position themselves quite nicely with the emerging public cloud industry that is just starting to pick up steam.

You work hard, and they expect you to do so. It's the age old adage, you get out what you put in. If you take the time to bust your *** you will be noticed, rewarded and compensated - Simple as that, they love to promote from within and never lost their start-up feel even after having gone public.The C-level guys are out there on the floor everyday and will specifically help with your deals if asked, they're extremely accessible and truly enjoy being involved and helping people succeed.

From sales kickoff every year, to Cudaoke (karaoke), to the game room and bar downstairs, the catered lunches, the 5 star resort they'll fly you out too for hitting over 100% for the year, the celebrity guest speakers, the MMA ring in the middle of the sales floor; trust me there are tons of perks there. The skills you will receive there and the relationships you build with the people you work with I believe will help your career indefinitely moving forward, I can't thank them enough.

Cons

To some of the negative comments I see on some of these previous reviews, I get who these people are, I worked with them. I watched how they didn't work as hard as I did but were the first and loudest to express their displeasure.

Funny thing is Barracuda gave most of these people their start in tech or sales even. You don't necessarily need a background in technology to be brought on, they see and understand the value of character - That's what they're looking for. So I always found it funny that Barracuda gave these people their chance/start, basically giving them an actual career to build on and they are complaining about things like compensation, comparing themselves to people working for other tech companies who have 3+ years experience (these other places wouldn't have even given them the opportunity to work there)

At the end of the day if you work hard at Barracuda the accelerators are generous, you don't get something for nothing!

"Tech. Support Rep."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Good people
    Friendly Environment
    Free lunch
    Value their customers
    Customer's issue resolves at the end

Cons

Low salary
    No proper training
    Ongoing leaving and hiring of employees

Advice to Management

Give support time for training

"Great Entry Level"

Current Employee - Technical Support Tier II in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Tier II in Alpharetta, GA

I have been working at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very laid back and everyone is great to work with

Cons

Pay isn't on par with similar positions which means you have a high turnover rate, which in turn causes problems

Advice to Management

If you pay more you wont have as high of a turnover rate, which will improve the quality of the products.

"Good stepping stone"

Former Employee - Technical Support Tier II in Ann Arbor, MI
    Former Employee - Technical Support Tier II in Ann Arbor, MI

I worked at Barracuda Networks full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good learning experience, decent initial training, management happy if you get your minimum numbers and show you work hard

Cons

Lack of training, pay commensurate with experience

Advice to Management

Increase pay!!!! This is why you're losing tons of people!