Barrett & Stokely Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Community Manager"

Current Employee - Community Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Community Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Love working for B &S. They allow you to think out of the box, create ideas for your property. No micro managing! Enjoy working with the corporate office and working with people that honestly care about personally and in your career.

Cons

The only thing I would suggest is giving more than the typical 3% increase to employees.

Advice to Management

Keep growing to allow others room for advancement.

2. "It has been a wonderful time working here."

Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor
    Current Employee - Maintenance Supervisor

I have been working at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The owners are very caring and attentive to you personally. Everyone Ive came into contact with within the company is very friendly and its very close to a family-type atmosphere. A lot of long-term employees, including myself, so that has to mean something is being done right!!

Cons

Not much at all, if anything the pay could be a little better, but its pretty comparable to most multi-family companies.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

3. "Anonymous"

Former Employee - Maintenance in Clermont, IN
    Former Employee - Maintenance in Clermont, IN

I worked at Barrett & Stokely full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employee stock options, good benefits

Cons

A lot of after hour call backs

Advice to Management

Be a little more organized with apartment turns or punch outs

4. "Leasing Professional"

Current Employee - Leasing Professional
    Current Employee - Leasing Professional

I have been working at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work environment.
    The owners of the company are easily accessible and around at most events and super personable.
    Offer multiple platforms to continue education.

Cons

The only downside is pay. I will I could be making a little bit more.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing

5. "Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for Barrett & Stokely for almost 6 years and I couldn’t be happier with the management company. Working in the property management industry you see a high turnover rate but there are many long-term employees within this company which speaks for itself. The owners work very hard to make sure each property is successful and their employees are treated with genuine respect!

Cons

The size of the company makes it harder to move up.

6. "Great Company that truly cares!"

Current Employee - Property Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Barrett and Stokely is a great company! I have worked for a couple other property management companies and am extremely grateful to work for a company, like Barrett & Stokely, that makes large efforts to show their employees that they appreciate and truly care about them as individuals. I have worked for the same property for almost 9 years and for Barrett & Stokely (at the same property) for about 6 years. Barrett & Stokely is a company that is quick to acknowledge a job well-done (to an individual or a team) but also eager to help and problem-solve when things aren’t going as well as they could be. All corporate departments (human resources, payroll, accounting, regional managers, IT, etc.) offers phenomenal support to the properties without hesitation. It is so nice to work for a company that takes so much interest in each and every one of their employees. There are not many companies out there that take such great efforts to help their employee’s be happier and healthier; whether that is physically, mentally or financially. The Wellness Committee offers all Barrett & Stokely employees numerous opportunities each year to improve their physical health, financial health, etc. along with several philanthropic opportunities as well. I am so thankful to work for a company that wants their employees to be the best that they can be and offers them the tools to do so!

Cons

Since it is a smaller company, there is not a large opportunity for advancement.

7. "A Top Notch Locally Owned Company"

Current Employee - Regional Manager in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Regional Manager in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

It is great working for owners that genuinely care about their employees and their properties. They give you the tools you need to successfully manage their properties, including properly reinvesting in their buildings to ensure they stay well maintained. Additionally, I enjoy working for a company that does not micro-manage their employees. They place a value on loyalty and appreciate employees with an old fashioned work ethic. The owners of Barrett and Stokely are very respectable and hard working people.

Cons

It is a relatively small to mid-sized company, so there are fewer opportunities to advance or relocate.

Advice to Management

To continue our success, I believe we need to invest in better pay, training and retention of our maintenance employees as they are the lifeblood of our industry. I think we can get more creative in our recruitment and employee retention efforts overall.

8. "Meh."

Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Leasing Consultant in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You can put it experience for your resume

Cons

- Mediocre raises
    - Many incompetent and unqualified people employed at the bottom of the chain of command
    - Employees can slander you on the job and face no reprimand from the manager onsite

Advice to Management

Offer better benefits and fair compensation for the amount of work in correspondence to the size of the community. Handle employee complaints properly. Hold everyone accountable for all their actions, and don't defend employees whom are consistently unreliable and disrespectful toward other co-workers.

9. "Honestly a good company with good people"

Former Employee - Property Manager
    Former Employee - Property Manager

I worked at Barrett & Stokely full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Corporate management tended to listen to ideas,
    Seemed willing to work with staff on their ambitions at the company,
    Very supportive coworkers and upper management- they want you to do well
    Filled with a lot of good people, and they treat you fairly

Cons

Some disorganization on site left from previous mismanagement, and miscommunication
    Some people "stuck" in their way of doing things
    Pay could be higher
    Sometimes upper management didn't groom new employees as well they probably could have, and more of "expected" things to go well, as opposed to helping them go well.

Advice to Management

One side of the company runs one way, and other properties run differently, and it can create headaches for staff who aren't sure the best or "right" option. Having more structured guidelines and leases for all properties will go a long way. I think you have good people at the company, so just listen to each other, try not to blame each other. Miscommunication happens, but fixing those issues is easy with some effort. Create trust between employees. Mostly, though, you are running a good company!

"Horrid company with horrid people"

Former Employee - Leasing in Indianapolis, IN
    Former Employee - Leasing in Indianapolis, IN

I worked at Barrett & Stokely full-time

Pros

There are none. My time at this company was miserable.

Cons

Hostile work environment. Disrespectful managers. Micro-managing at every level. Nowhere to turn for help. You will truly feel like an outsider here.

Advice to Management

Clean house (at the corporate level).