Barrhead Travel Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Barrhead Travel Chief Executive Sharon Munro
Sharon Munro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Old-fashioned, stuck in their ways and without processes"

Former Employee - Designer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Designer in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barrhead Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Some of the people were nice.
    - Very central, city centre location, close to amenities and shops.
    - Chance to win holidays, potential for heavily discounted standby flights

Cons

- Head office in Glasgow is underground - no natural light or nice touches to make it feel a pleasant space.
    - Small and sometimes old/slow iMacs for the creative team.
    - Senior Management have old-fashioned outlook. Although they say they are open to new ideas, they more often than not will simply do things the way they have always done, so nothing evolves. When the digital world changes as often as it does this is not a great outlook to have. They will remain behind as long as this is the case.
    - No processes in place to see projects through from start to finish - not even a kick-off meeting is had to gather all requirements at the start of a project. You can talk to one person, start something and get directed to another who will tell you something totally different and then again further down the line. Complete waste of time and resource. Efficiency rate of 0%.
    - You can do work and never see it implemented.
    - Didn't understand the development team, eventually outsourced the majority of the department.
    - Some people on very poor wages, one modern apprentice in department never really given the chance to learn anything new or take on more responsibility
    - People running departments with little to no real experience.
    - Every web/email button has to be green.

Advice to Management

- Learn more about the digital and creative realm, or hire people who you're willing to trust and give the responsibility to run the department and send it in a good direction.
    - Introduce processes to your creative department.
    - Better wages for all.

2. "Travel Consultant"

I worked at Barrhead Travel full-time

Pros

Lovely repeat customers, Staff were nice

Cons

Changed targets all the time so you couldn't reach and docked your salary if made mistakes

Advice to Management

More support

3. "Senior Management Review"

Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - AREA SALES MANAGER in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Barrhead Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent opportunities for new recruits, excellent potential to earn bonus and progress within the business - Open door Management policy with honest and transparent feedback - Excellent growth Plans - Great range/choice for customers in terms of Product

Cons

Need larger Teams in certain areas due to the growth of the business -

4. "Manager"

I have been working at Barrhead Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have now worked for Barrhead Travel for 14 years and absolutely love my job and being part of this company I started when i was 21 as a sales consultant and then moved to Team leader then a Manager with senior management helping and guiding me through this process this company definitely has a family feel and a open door policy were someone is always willing to help support and listen to me at higher level when needed

Cons

None I love my job

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing because you are doing it well / successfully

5. "Barrhead Travel honest review"

I have been working at Barrhead Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

An ever changing business, no day is the same and the opportunities to earn very good money and also build a career are there to be had.

A thriving business that strives to deliver the very best service for our industry and also goes beyond to look after their staff.

Cons

there can be too many decision makers and we could do better to structure the business more dynamically.

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff more.

6. "Best working years of my life...."

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barrhead Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I started working for Barrhead Travel at a junior level and progressed through the years to Management level. Throughout my progression I always felt supported and encouraged. Training and developement was readily available to me. Senior Management had an open door policy and shared a tremendous amount of expertise and knowledge that enabled me to develop my skill set. I genuinely feel that my working years in Barrhead Travel gave me the confidence, skills and passion for succeeding that I have today.

Cons

No cons during my time at Barrhead.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. It is great to see a Company grow and expand, develop their workforce and provide opportunities.

"Great place...."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Barrhead Travel part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have worked with Barrhead Travel for many years. I have worked in many different departments which keeps the job interesting. I love the fact that I am always kept busy with exciting new projects. I have met many good friends through the company and have had lots of great exoeriences. I have been sent on fam trips latest being Orlando, Dominican & California.

Management in my opinion are very fair. They have always been approachable and any issues I have ever had they have always helped me resolve the matter.

I

Cons

I really dont have any

"Can truly say I love my job"

I have been working at Barrhead Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started with Barrhead Travel as a Sales Consulant over 7 years ago & since I have been approached by higher management on numerous different occasions to discuss my career progression and as a result I have been promoted 3 times now working as Manager in a branch which I absolutely love. I came from another Travel Company and by far I can honestly say Barrhead Travel are the best company to work for in Travel due to salaries, fam trips, progression, amazing bonus structure and their open door policy with higher management. I have been to many amazing places around the world I could only have ever dreamed of before thanks to Barrhead Travel. I really feel my opinions and ideas are valued in comparison to just feeling like a number with previous employers.

Cons

No cons for me at all.

Advice to Management

9. "Great place to work."

I have been working at Barrhead Travel full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked for Barrhead Travel for 5 years and really love every minute of it. The incentives and benefits they offer are fantastic and the opportunities to progress within the Company are great. I love working with a Company that always seems to be ahead of everyone else is doing. Finally, I have been on a number of Fam trips in the short time I have worked for them compared to the one trip I got from working with another Agent for 15 Years !!!

Cons

no issues working at Barrhead Travel

10. "Love This Job"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Barrhead Travel full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Hours - Flexible hours to work around my lifestyle. The management are great with me and help me out when it's needed. I also help them out and we have a great relationship.
    I love the commission and incentives that I make too. I work hard and it doesn't go unnoticed. The senior staff really appreciate hard workers and it pays off when I get my salary.
    I've been on a couple of educational trips which helps me sell destinations I'm not too sure of - and they are all free!!! Its great!!!!

Cons

I really cant think of any. Perhaps a full corporate uniform which is the same in every location.

Advice to Management

Have a "customer party" every weekend in all branches and create a even more fun environment - let us be known as the company that's fun!!!