Barrhead Travel Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Barrhead Travel Chief Executive Sharon Munro
Sharon Munro

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I began my Barrhead Travel experience by completing my Modern Apprenticeship within a year and securing employment (in 9 reviews)

• I started working in a sales environment and with the help of Senior Management I have now progressed to a Management position within the company (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • If you hit your target you get no bonus (in 3 reviews)

• I am currently happily employed by Barrhead Travel and have no cons (in 4 reviews)

"The Dungeon"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barrhead Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

None, other than making wonderful friends through the face of adversity.

Cons

This company rules through intimidation, bullying and the threat of losing your job. I've heard many times "I pay your salary, you'll do as I say". Non-sales staff, at HQ, will often be called around a meeting table and shouted at about how we are all bad at our jobs, don't know what we are doing and finger pointing.

This is the most old-fashioned company culture I've ever witnessed. There are many written and un-written rules to the place. I worked in the head office basement where non-sales staff is kept which is often compared to a dungeon, filled with constant chatter, ringing phones, no windows, no hint of daylight, fresh air or hope for your future. My comments only relate to this "dungeon" I can’t really speak to the branches.

• 8:57am = you're late
    • No eating or being in the canteen until 10:00.
    • Must carry a tray with any beverage back to your desk.
    • Do not touch the ceiling fan switch even if you're freezing or sweating.
    • No streaming music.
    • No phones to be seen.
    • Don't laugh too loudly or your manager will get a call from upper management.
    • In a conversation with 2 other people? NOPE, that's congregation.
    • Don't celebrate birthdays or people escaping for a better life.
    • Banned from having a LinkedIn account.
    • You'll receive an absurd email every few months instructing you not to email anyone between 10-4 as you should be calling or walking over to talk to them.
    • If you have an opinion, you will be gone. Humiliated and paraded out of the office by human resources.
    • Employees bullied into writing fake reviews.
    • 5:31, what are you doing with your coat on already?

I've never seen a company so afraid of losing employees yet does NOTHING to retain them. No incentives for non-sales staff. FAM "educational" trips given out based on favouritism. The company is run by modern apprentices who are hired because they don't have to pay them and get promoted to "executives" within 6 months. The place actually has some 18,19 year old executives. The same people promoted over and over again. Unqualified people made managers. Job titles thrown around with no experience.

So the place is overwrought with MAs, a dictator and a tight-knit clique of stone-faced directors who haven't a clue what they are doing. I am convinced the staff that have worked there for years or it's been the only job they've ever had, are brainwashed. I could go on and on but think I will run out of characters. To sum it up, the company treats their non-sales staff like naughty children who can’t be trusted to actually do their jobs. Staff are monitored and any outburst or negative comments are swiftly reported to human resources. The place is just plain awful.

Advice to Management

My advice doesn't matter because you will never change.

"Embarrassed its on my CV"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barrhead Travel (More than a year)

Pros

Improved my understanding on how not to treat staff.

Cons

-Directors are bullied by the owners who then take their stress out on staff
    - people were scared of the directors
    -no respect
    -'yes sir' culture if you want to move up in the company
    -hired young girls who were just completely taken advantage of in terms of pay and training.
    - was actually asked by HR how they could reduce their staff retention
    -office in the head office was dark and dirty.

Advice to Management

Make it less obvious that you wrote the 5* reviews. Talk about being sly... could have at least used different wording, layout and different dates...

"Do not work for this shambles of a company!"

I worked at Barrhead Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can’t really think of anything positive about working for the company, apart from meeting good friends during the 4 week training. Other than that everything was a disaster.

Cons

- Everything you are taught in training is a waste as when you get to store you are told “that’s not how we do it”
    - You are also told you will have a mentor until you are settled in for 3/4 months, do not believe them. You are left on your own and when asking for help, it gets forgotten about and 2/3 days later you are still faced with the same issue you asked for help on.
    - Unprofessional and rude towards customers, store has a horrible atmosphere. Even between the staff it is a malicious and bully-like environment. You dread going in every morning.
    - Also, do not trust your manager with personal issues out with the work place, as she will be keen to tell the rest of the team. *Maybe not in every store but certainly mine*
    - Marking up holidays is a major thing! I understand marking up is essential in a sales role, but I don’t understand how some staff can sleep at night knowing they added £2,000/£3,000 on to somebodies holiday. If you have a conscience, this is not the job for you.
    - Unrealistic targets 5 times your yearly salary, you are pushed to make £2,000 a day which is impossible especially in quiet months.
    - You are given the impression you will get great discounts and holidays at nett price. Which is not the case at all, since working here I have booked 2 holidays and not one has been through Barrhead Travel. Says it all really. I would not trust to book through this company.
    - Expected to work in freezing cold climate especially throughout winter, with one tiny heater at the front of the store to keep you “warm”. Most staff having to sit with a hot water bottle at their desks.
    - High turnover of staff, which is a shame as the company must spend a lot of money on training. Maybe if they treated staff correctly they wouldn’t have this issue. More than 5 people left since I’ve worked at Barrhead Travel due to the horrible and bully-like atmosphere in the store.
    - Reading through these reviews it is a clear coincidence that the 5* reviews are all round about the same dates, makes you wonder if management are making staff give good reviews.

Please take note of these 1* reviews, DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY. Take this from someone who was over the moon to get the job and thought this was going to fulfil my dreams, and it has been nothing but a shambles from start to finish.

Advice to Management

Spend some time in stores with the staff to see what’s going on behind the scenes. There is a way you should act and behave in a work place, and most people in store do not understand that. Rude conversations and swearing in front of customers. Makes me wonder what management are actually doing.

"Avoid Avoid Avoid"

I worked at Barrhead Travel full-time

Pros

The only pro about working for this company was the day I walked out the doors and left.

Cons

Cowboy management, discrimination, bullying, lying, false promises. The whole company is a sham. Your time and energy will be valued in any other company, don't make the same mistake I did and accept employment with the disgrace that is Barrhead.

5. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Director in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Director in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Barrhead Travel full-time

Pros

Lots of progression opportunities
    Training programmes
    Educational trips
    Reduced travel

Cons

Can be very busy at certain times of year but day goes in a lot faster

"Vile management"

Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barrhead Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nothing at all. It is a horrendous place to work

Cons

The vile CEO, the clueless 'directors', the favouritism, the ineptitude, the lack of respect for employees, the general feeling of fear and despair, the horrific working conditions, the smell of sewage in the windowless office, no wage rises, no bonuses, no happiness. A company run on fear by delusional individuals.

Advice to Management

Replace every director with staff who aren't tainted and corrupted by years of conditioning with people who actually know what they are doing and how to treat people professionally.

"Treat staff like dirt"

Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Travel Consultant in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barrhead Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Would like to say nice people but I'd be lying

Cons

Higher management treat staff like dirt and have no idea how to manage a business. Staff errors are deducted from your pay regardless of the non existent training (this could be thousands for something that was not your fault). You are left to your own devices and need to learn everything by yourself. Too competitive other staff members would always steal sales. Long hours with little reward. No educationals unless you are the managers favourite. Bonus is shocking not even worth hitting target but if you don't hit your target they will reduce your basic wages. Expected to dress like a dolly bird and had emails to that effect illegal!!!! Systems suck and processes are backwards. They use fear and bullying tactics to keep staff in line. Honestly the worst ran company I have ever worked for I have never felt so undervalued as an employee in my life. Don't do it they make it sound great but its shocking!!

Advice to Management

Sack the store managers hire people who actually know how to run a store.

8. "Good prospects"

I have been working at Barrhead Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good opportunity for promotion
    Working within a great team
    Lots of training available
    Discounts on holidays

Cons

Can sometimes be a challenging working environment with so much going on

"Unbelieveable what they get away with"

Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Human Resources Specialist in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barrhead Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

City centre location, Freebies, Some nice staff

Cons

Ceo, senior management and chairman lead by fear. Stuck in the past and dont understand the value of employee engagement.

You are lead in with how amazing the place is but slowly you see the cracks. Its money driven, senior management do not speak to you and the ceo is a bully. The chairman will shout at staff in the middle of the floor. People have left crying, people have left due to stress and just before i left they had asked long term staff to leave positive career reviews... unethical, dishonest and greedy... im so glad i left.

Advice to Management

Understand it is 2017, lead by example and treat your people better

"Insult to my intelligence"

Former Employee - Sales in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in Glasgow, Scotland (UK)

I worked at Barrhead Travel full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None Atall that I would say it a positive !

Cons

How long have you got ?

Advice to Management

Treat your staff with more respect
    Invest in training your staff and not telling them
    To play around with systems to get to know it
    Tell your Managers to smile it goes a long way !!
    Educate yourself some of your staff including managers has 0 skills been there years so happy to just rot in a place that rips customers off !!!
    Ask yourselfs why you have a high staff turnover !!