Barrick Gold Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Barrick Gold Co-President Kelvin Dushnisky
Kelvin Dushnisky

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • great people, great pay, mostly helpful (in 15 reviews)

• Great benefits, some very good people, great opportunity (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is a challenge - I don't mind the long hours and weekend work, but if I can't take my vacation year in, year out - we have a problem (in 4 reviews)

• Long bus rides are also a negative (in 3 reviews)

"Supply Chain Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elko, NV

Pros

Was a great company to work for. Lots of good people who are hard working

Cons

To many corporate changes, and too many changes to reporting structure.

Advice to Management

Be more visible. Lead by example

"Huge Disappointment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elko, NV

I worked at Barrick Gold full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits, the job itself I LOVED, and the schedule

Cons

Ive always worked in male dominated areas and always received professionalism and respect to the highest degree. I work hard and I take pride in being one of the only women in these industries and it took me time to build that respect and prove myself.

At Barrick, I was gossiped about and picked on by a group of people by them making up ridiculous stories in terms of my "sexual activities" because I worked late and didn't catch the "popular" bus home or hang out on the weekends. I am a single mother with no child support so my focus has always been on that and moving up in my career so I can better provide for my child.

Not liking me is one thing but when people start to make up things about my character and spreading untrue rumors about what I'm doing at my desk when no one is around except the random men walking in from the field, I have to draw the line.

Then to top it off, I didn't report it to HR, someone else did, which is fine, except the way HR "handled" it. I was still treated as if I had done something wrong when all I did was go in and do my job every day. I felt as if I was supposed to apologize for being focused on daily tasks and not partaking in the popularity contest.

All in all, Im sure Barrick as a whole is a great place to work, but this particular department was like high school and like an episode of "Mean Girls" and the HR department handled way below standard. Their "investigation" only made things worse on me and it left such a bad taste in my mouth that I waved my white flag and put in my 2 week notice after only a few months.

I served in the military for 6 and half years, had men make bets on who could get me in bed first, or make up stories that they had "bedded" me. This has made for some thick skin on my part in most cases its just comical because its never true. But Barrick was the WORST I HAVE EVER experienced by a long shot. It really got to me which never happens.

It really saddens me because I was really interested in staying with Barrick long term. I think Barrick is a good company so I would still hope and probably think this department was the bad apple of the barrel and that's how this hand in my life played out.

C'est la vie!

"Professional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Used to be a good company to work for but not anymore. Still have alot of good people stuck in an unfortunate situation.

Cons

Stagnant wages, reduced benefits, management that really don't know much about mining. Staggering debt levels brought on by arrogance and incompetence.

Advice to Management

Do your best to get taken over by a real mining company. Go back to the investment banking and hedge fund world where you belong.

"New Management Team needed"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Barrick Gold (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Benefits
    401k
    Great Salary
    ok STI
    Great LTI
    Training

Cons

1) No upward movement even though you are classified as a HYPO- if you don't have a relationship with an executive you will not have upward Mobility in this company.
    2) NO Transparency and senior mgt keeps hiring political hires - look at the Chilean mgt team for PL.
    3) Culture - Barrick use to be a fun place to work now all the A players left and the C&D team remains in Corp mgt.

Advice to Management

Bring in a miner to run the company, someone with FIELD experience not these laywyers and CA they have running around, with no idea what a mine site looks like.

Get rid of Mc K there ideas got you guys in trouble in the first place...

"Dysfunctional"

Former Employee - Superintendent in Lumwana (Zambia)
    Former Employee - Superintendent in Lumwana (Zambia)

I worked at Barrick Gold full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I actually can't think of anything.

Cons

Total lack of cohesion on a difficult site, empires built at all departments, lack of resources and a never ending rotation of advisor and subject matter experts, all on ridiculous salaries contributing very little and impacting on the overall costs.

Advice to Management

Build a team, engage your frontline supervision and listen. A great depth of experience exists on site,yet due to some being former Equinox employees you don't listen to there advice.

"Empire Building and bureaucracy"

Former Employee - Geologist in Lumwana (Zambia)
    Former Employee - Geologist in Lumwana (Zambia)

I worked at Barrick Gold full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There is not much good you can say about the company, only High pay, and travel allowance.

Cons

Top Heavy.
    Pointless managerial positions.
    Continuously hiring new people, when there is no work to be done.
    lots of expat staff on high wages doing hardly any work.
    Conflict of interests of previous owners, Equinox and former Equinox staff.
    Health and safety is preached, but never carried out as production comes first.
    The right things are said in head office, but it never percolates down.
    Not what you know, who you know promotion system.

Advice to Management

Sack 30% of the staff.
    Spin off Australian Business.
    Remove more middle management.

7. "Join any company other than Barrick."

Current Employee - Technical Services in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Technical Services in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Barrick Gold full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some global exposure. Travel to some cool places.
    Co-workers
    Peers
    Benefits are decent. But most companies offer the same.
    Pay is average. Only big money if you are a partner. Which will never happen.

Cons

Employees are overworked. 70 hour week seems to be minimum. Unless you are a VP.
    Any promotion is based on if you are "liked" by the in crowd, not on performance. HR used to be so much better. Now they just take orders from COO or chairman and do not care or listen to the employees.

Barrick lacks any real long term direction. Chairman just speaks in cliches and tag lines for the press. Any initiative is always a short sited flavour of the month idea that costs the company millions.

Advice to Management

Fear is the COO will become CEO. Say goodbye to Barrick's head office in Canada if that's the case. Only the President is Canadian, the majority of the Executives and the chairman are American. Head office will end up in DC close to McCrystal offices or in Denver (Newmont). Another Canadian company's demise.

8. "too much burocracy"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elko, NV
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elko, NV

Pros

4 days week, good benefits, good treatment by RH, lots of training

Cons

Luck of leadrship in middle management, cliquey middle management, very little communication and feedback

Advice to Management

Rotate the middle management - too long time in the same place (>10 years)

9. "Management out of touch."

Current Employee - Mine Maintenance in Carlin, NV
    Current Employee - Mine Maintenance in Carlin, NV

I have been working at Barrick Gold full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits, stable work environment for the industry.

Cons

Management doesn't address the issues in the work place, they ignore it and hope it will go away. Pay not really based on performance. Every hourly employee paid the same for their tech level no matter the type of job.

Advice to Management

Listen to the employees, if you are losing a lot of employees in a certain field maybe come down and talk to people.

"Human Resources"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

Pros

Used to be a good place to work: good pay and benefits

Cons

Closing SLC office; lack of transition planing; reactive management at the top