Barrick Goldstrike Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Gregory A. Lang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Nothing bad to say. Loved working there"

Former Employee - Open Pit Heavy Equipment Mechanic in Carlin, NV
    Former Employee - Open Pit Heavy Equipment Mechanic in Carlin, NV

I worked at Barrick Goldstrike full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, training, incentives, people

Cons

Nothing bad to say about barrick gold mines inc.

2. "Process Trainer"

Current Employee - Process Trainer in Elko, NV
    Current Employee - Process Trainer in Elko, NV

I have been working at Barrick Goldstrike full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people are great and really want to progress.

Cons

It is a long commute.

Advice to Management

Should think about the workers more than the stockholders. Really!

3. "Mine Engineer"

Current Employee - Mine Engineer in Elko, NV
    Current Employee - Mine Engineer in Elko, NV

I have been working at Barrick Goldstrike full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Barrick has present my great opportunites to excel in my career in mining.

Cons

Barrick has a low availability of senior positions. Pay for my positions does not seem up to industry standard.

Advice to Management

Increase pay for remoteness of job, keep giving new opportunities, create more growth positions.

"Electrical Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elko, NV
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Elko, NV

I worked at Barrick Goldstrike full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to expand your skills and knowledge. With two processing plants, two open pit and one underground mine; this is a very large site with varied equipment and needs. The management team is capable of good decisions, is supportive of maintenance and engineering efforts.

Cons

The gold industry is struggling through a tough downturn in prices. Barrick is saddled with a large debt from over spending during the last high gold prices. This has put many projects out for several years and limits the future of mine operations.

The corporate management has been replaced with individuals primarily from the financial field. This is a good thing for the company from a financial aspect; but the vision for the future of mining has been removed, I am not sure how this will impact the company in 5 years.

Advice to Management

The company states that the employees are the number one asset of the company. From within the company as a worker, it is clear that the number one asset in the eyes of management are the shareholders. There is much more effort put into cutting costs than the effort extended to keep talented individuals and grow the skills of the general worker population.

5. "Terrible Mangerment"

Former Employee - Safety in Carlin, NV
    Former Employee - Safety in Carlin, NV

I worked at Barrick Goldstrike (More than 3 years)

Pros

None this company suckes can not say anything pos

Cons

The management does not care about safety

6. "Very beneficial experience for an undergraduate engineering student."

Former Employee - Engineer in Elko, NV
    Former Employee - Engineer in Elko, NV

I worked at Barrick Goldstrike part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gain experience in multiple engineering fields. Very challenging and always more to learn

Cons

1.5 hour commute both ways every morning. At times strenuous work environment (typical industrial plant work)

7. "I enjoy my job"

Current Employee - Underground Electrician in Elko, NV
    Current Employee - Underground Electrician in Elko, NV

Pros

Good Pay. Good People. Good Benefits

Cons

Do not care for those who complain all the time.

Advice to Management

A bit top heavy in management.

8. "A very safety oriented environment to assure that everyone goes home safe and healthy everyday."

Former Employee - Mine Engineer in Carlin, NV
    Former Employee - Mine Engineer in Carlin, NV

I worked at Barrick Goldstrike full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- will become MSHA Certified
    - receive lots of time off as well as lots of over time opportunities at the time
    - hard work with safety in mind at all times
    - amazing benefits

Cons

- leadership sometimes lacked hindering job productivity
    - not everyone seems to be 100% on board when it comes to keeping safety in mind
    - job duties sometimes don't make sense or are just a waste of time

Advice to Management

- Need to consider assuring that leaders follow the safety guidelines set by the company at all times

9. "dishonest suprivisors in open pit helping to cover up employees having affairs with other employees wives. at goldstrike"

Current Employee - Operations Open Pit in Carlin, NV
    Current Employee - Operations Open Pit in Carlin, NV

I have been working at Barrick Goldstrike full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

the work the pay the insurance the training the company itself is fine.

Cons

dishonesty when it comes to crew suprivisors if you have to confide in them to help resolve personal issues that effect your job if other employees are having a affair with your spouse and you have caught them.

Advice to Management

need to do a internal investigation of what really happened and why one employee let himself get terminated for absences trying to find out the truth. and deal with the parties involved properly.

"Good company, though heavily bureaucratic, with too much corporate micro-management"

Former Employee - Mine Planning Engineer in Elko, NV
    Former Employee - Mine Planning Engineer in Elko, NV

Pros

Good benefits, generally good job security. Was there as it progressed from a minor player to a powerhouse company, and saw a lot of positive improvements, and changes in my time there. Generally open to moving around from job to job, to get well rounded experiences. Improved safety over time, improved work schedule changes over time; however, a major driver for both was the negative aspects of injuries and fatalities for the safety side. And schedule changes due to subsequent manpower issues later that made them cave to demand, so not a total positive, other than it happened, but not due to internal desire for improvement in all cases.

Cons

Lack of advancement opportunities in some areas unless you're into the schmoozing, and bureaucratic brown-nosing. Too often I saw people from outside the company hired to fill upper positions, when lower individuals with the experience and skills were already present, and looking for advancement. I know of at least 4 instances in my time where the people brought in from outside were less experienced, or less knowledgeable than the individuals they were supposed to supervise, and the underlings had to train the supervisors to do their jobs. Some of those people brought in then did no work, little work, or bad work, and left, leaving the underlings to clean up, and get passed over again for yet another outside person to take over. Sometimes it worked out, but sometimes it didn't.

There is also a lot of Corporate oversight, and micromanagement. Many driving targets dictated by corporate "you will budget for this, and you will do this" even if infrastructure, manpower, equipment etc isn't available. Dictates of target tons, grade, ounces, no matter what the ore body can support, or evidence of same in the modeling. Created a lot of additional stress, trying to "make the magic happen" and save the bottom line for other projects within the company.

Advice to Management

Give your people the chance to do their job, and believe what they tell you. Stand by their work, and don't let Corporate dictates steamroll your decisions. I got tired of spending months generating plans based on actual data, and actual historical results, just to be told at the end that my numbers are too low, and we'll go with what corporate wants to hear. Spreadsheet magic doesn't make tons, and ounces, quit making that planning work meaningless by applying fudge factors, and arbitrary additional adjustments just to make the numbers say what Corporate wants to hear, if you're going to do that, you might as well save a lot of wasted time and effort, and make the numbers up to begin with, and forget about the detailed work.

Provide advancement opportunities, and quit hiring from outside. If you feel people aren't up to snuff to advance, then give them the training, don't pass over them for someone from outside. At least give them the opportunity, don't just pass them over. I was never able to get out of the "Junior Engineer" role while there. Yet my reviews were always positive, sometimes with areas for improvement, but never negative. And I still could go nowhere but laterally. I had several bosses with less experience, and skill than I, who came and went because they couldn't cut it. Sometimes I did their jobs because they couldn't/wouldn't. I outlasted a whole string of supervisors who were around for 2-3 years max, sometimes as little as 2-6 months, but couldn't get a break. I saw people with no engineering background whatsoever put into senior/superintendent positions over engineers, simply because they knew who to schmooze with, that's just not right, reality or not, and makes even less sense when you spend so much time explaining how things work, or having to justify what you do, simply because the manager doesn't have a clue of the realities, and refuses to believe you know what you're talking about, even when subsequent events play out exactly as you've stated, you still aren't believed in the future.

Pay for experience. One of my ultimate reasons to leave, was that the new hires fresh out of school were getting offers only 10-15% below those of us with a decade+ of experience, not just me, but others at my level, and with my experience or more. I had to leave the company to get a promotion, with a better than 30% pay increase, working for someone else I'd worked with at Barrick, who recognized my skills, and wanted my experience. For a world class operation, you better pay world class wages if you want to keep your skilled/experienced people. You also need to recognize your talent pool, utilize it, reward it, and promote it, if you want to keep it. I saw a lot of people leaving the last few years I was there, for the reasons stated above, among others, leaving nothing but a lot of green people to fill the roles.

Overall my experiences with Barrick were good, but there were some real rough times too, depending on personality clashes, and experience levels. While I'm not blameless either, I certainly had my own issues, which looking back I can easily see mistakes I made, I also learned from them, and that's the nature of getting older, and getting experience. I just felt that I, and others, were not given the opportunities to advance. The junior level at Barrick (in the two areas I worked) to my knowledge is now 100% different than it was 5 years ago, not a single one is still working there, either at the same level, or who moved up to a senior level from a junior level. I believe I was the last one who left with more than 5 years experience at a junior level. I only know of 3, or possibly 4 at the Senior level+ within the technical services groups who have been with Barrick more than 5 years, though I could be wrong.