Barrington James Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dan Barrington

Pros
  • Barrington James is one of the best environments I have ever been in (in 27 reviews)

• One of the best commission structure in the industry and great career growth (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • It's long hours but with my recent commission of 9k it is clear that you only get results when you put in long days (in 15 reviews)

• I suppose that the only con relates to recruitment in general and not Barrington James per se (in 11 reviews)

"Money Money Money"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

Pros

I have worked at the Barrington James USA office for just under a year.
    The great things about this firm is the earning potential and the people. Everyone is really focused and hard working ( the ones that weren't have left!) and rewards and recognition are awesome.
    Some negative comments on here- but all I have seen / experienced is great management who have or are all currently running a desk in recruitment as well as team leadership and they are trying to help me learn . They only invest time in people who put in loads of effort in return but I agree with that.

Cons

It's long hours but with my recent commission of 9k it is clear that you only get results when you put in long days. Can be stressful. The people who have left and written bad reviews gave off bad vibes that bring the team down. When you're at work 11 hours some days you don't wanna be demotivated by your team- it should be a positive environment.
    If you think you can sell you would be crazy not to try this company! Base salary is livable and it makes me work even harder to earn stupidly high commissions!

Advice to Management

Don't change the comms structure- its amazing.
    Do the Vegas trip every year? I like that you change it each year but Vegas every year would be better
    Keep the open door policy you have

2. "Great Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

Pros

As a Manager in the NYC office, I've experienced a fantastic learning curve since joining the firm 18 months ago. Having worked at other recruitment agencies in the past, it has been brilliant to learn from Directors with such a breadth of experience. Learning from a CEO with a clear vision and an unrelenting drive for success has been hugely inspiring. Learning from a CIO who has trained recruiters at dozens of other recruitment companies in the past has been invaluable for improving myself as both a recruiter and a manager. Learning from our Directors has been fantastic on a daily basis and improved my skills in every aspect of recruiting and running a business. Hearing from all these people on a daily/weekly basis puts you on an unparalleled learning path from anything else I've seen. Whether you come in at graduate level or a more senior level, you will undoubtedly (should you put in the effort!) thrive as a recruiter within the industry. You have every tool here to succeed!

Also, the commission structure is great! No thresholds and awesome percentages!! Monthly, Quarterly and Yearly Incentives too.....work hard, play hard!!

Cons

It's hard work.....obviously. You get out what you put in!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!!

3. "Recruitment Consultant - Currently working in NYC"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Fantastic company! I came here from another sales organization as I was looking for the chance to utilize my experience and benefit from a commission structure that was more transparent than what I previously had. I have just had my first large pay check through and although I had to work my a** off for it, it was totally worthwhile.
    The on-desk training I have received since joining has been great, the managers and directors sit with you one on one and spend time helping you perfect your sales skills and sales calls.
    My favorite thing about the company is that the management team are so approachable. There's always someone around to help out with whatever it may be you're stuck with. I've worked in several places before this where approaching senior business leaders just hasn't been possible and I think it can really damage the atmosphere of a company.

Cons

The cons are the obvious cons in any 'sales-type' position. Long-hours, high-pressure target driven environment, dealing with constant rejections on sales calls etc.
    When I interviewed it was made very transparent to me that these are common issues people have faced in the past so I was very aware of what I was walking into and I appreciated the transparency.

Advice to Management

Stop taking me for after work drinks I'm trying to keep my weight down!!

"Toxic Environment"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Barrington James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Commission structure was good but many other agencies pay higher commissions and higher base salary, which can't hard, considering they only pay a mere $15-28k base salary. They don't have a 401k nor medical insurance. They give 500 a month to use towards personal healthcare costs. A good plan is well over $950 a month.

Cons

I worked in BJ Raleigh office, the CEO was not there often but when he was, he was rude and menacing. He fat shamed many women, once told all of them not to eat the donuts because of their weight! When he wasn't fat shaming or traumatizing employees, he occupied his time taking a thin blonde employee on monthly extravagant vacations
    I 100% agree with all of the negative reviews. All of it is true! It was a toxic environment.
    l recommend anyone that applies to Barrington James, reach out to former employees on LinkedIn and hear what they have to say.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with equal respect

Jun 3, 2016

Thanks for your review, of course you are welcome to your opinion. We believe in low base high commission roles, that way the people who bring in more make more and those that don't, don't ... More

"Barrington James is genuinely the most horrific place to work"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Barrington James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BJ provides a great bonus structure, additionally they support goals for relocation to other countries which is difficult to find.

Cons

Barrington James is genuinely the most horrific place to work. My experience is as one of the top global performers, someone who committed 60+ hours a week to the job and was constantly doing their part to see the company succeed.

Barrington James' Senior management and the CEO are narcissistic, manipulative, racist, intolerant and cruel. They don't find it necessary to treat their employees with respect or equality. They will turn their back on their top performers and don't lose sleep while doing so.

I hope everyone realizes that those fake 5 star reviews are the directors, managers and most likely family members who are doing their best to save the reputation of this poor excuse for a company.

To address a few points made by previous postings/responses from BJ:

Retention: I can only speak to the US team but the "95% retention after one year" is absolutely BS. Those who are still with the company are tied to their visa and are basically stuck with the company. Barrington James requires all employees to create new LinkedIn profiles upon joining, they keep them open so that it looks like the teams are much larger than they really are

The environment is extremely toxic. The CEO hardly makes eye contact with anyone besides his male management staff (who are British, appreciate or tolerate his racist and sexist "humor" and are willing to support his alcoholic tendencies) outside of that and a few cute blondes the only eye contact he will make with you is a look of disgust.

Complaints: Sure, no company wants a complainer or someone who is going put forth negative energy into the office. However, sharing your opinion on how you are treated, communicated with, managed or disrespected is deemed as complaining. basically if you stand up for yourself you are reprimanded or threatened with termination.

To address "not being a fit for BJ" means a few things but the most important to address is1. Not being able to tolerate the "banter". Barrington James definition of banter includes racism or sexist remarks . I have first hand experience with the CEO making remarks and when I stood up for myself my employment within the organization was questioned.

I highly suggest reaching out to some former employees on LinkedIn for advice prior to joining. Do a name search and you can easily find their personal accounts that have their current place of employment.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees with respect. Understand that "one size fits all" management style does not work and that there is a reason you are unable to retain your US staff.

May 5, 2016

Thanks for replying again!!!! And again missing the point.... We have chosen a way for our company to run and be run and we do not shy away from that. Because it doesn't fit anyone's particular ... More

"Such a rewarding place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Barrington James has so much to offer whether you are a recruitment consultant just staring off or a Sr. Manager looking to grow into a Director level role. No matter the day or time, there's always an abundance of energy in the office and a great vibe that makes everyone want to succeed. I've worked for several recruitment agencies prior to joining BJ and this company has been by far the most exciting and laid back company. The management team is extremely supportive but doesn't have micro-manage like many recruitment companies. You can truly build your own desk and business, allowing you to be a true entrepreneur. The commission structure is excellent and is uncapped, so most are capable of earning well over $100k the first year. BJ also has fantastic incentives: Directors Lunches, High-rollers club (Vegas, Dubai, Miami, etc), team events, traveling options (global conferences), performance events, etc. The most incredible part of BJ is that the CEO, Dan Barrington, takes time to really know who you are and will even take you out to lunch or evening drinks out. He is extremely well-liked by everyone and believes having fun at work is an important and essential ingrediant for success.

Cons

Like all recruitment roles, long hours and hard work is needed but Barrington James will reward you for your efforts and motivate you to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for being wonderful mentors/leaders for our us future managers at Barrington James.

"Global Opportunities that are unrivaled."

Current Employee - Usa Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Usa Sales Manager in New York, NY

Pros

This is a fantastic organisation with genuine opportunities to progress your career on a Global scale. Every member of staff is friendly, supportive and ambitious and regardless of seniority everyone remain accessible, which all contributes to the current and continued success of the company on a global level. The training is second to none, everyone who joins, regardless of previous experience, is subject to expert training and guidance from seasoned industry experts and so ultimately everyone has an equal opportunity and platform to build a successful career.
    I personally was given the opportunity to relocate to New York City from the UK at just 24 years of age and have had the pleasure of seeing the US teams grow from strength to strength in both success and numbers, along with creating new opportunities for more ambitious sales people to come and live in the greatest city in the world and take their careers to the next level!

Cons

There really aren't any for the company or the people.
    All I would say is that recruitment as a career genuinely isn't for everyone. It's a competitive sales based industry and often people don't realize the work and time that goes into making a success of it. If you're ever unsure of whether to explore recruitment as a tangible career avenue by all means reach out to one of our expert internal recruitment consultants who will honestly and unbiasedly advise whether your credentials and attitude could be a good fit for recruitment and/or Barrington James.

"Awesome company that invest in their staff and reward hard work."

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Barrington James is really one of the best companies I've worked for. Closely run by the owner, Dan Barrington, along with Directors and Management. No matter your experience, if you are hungry to be successful and earn money, Barrington James will give you a shot. Forever investing in the company and staff, we now have offices in Europe, Asia, US and the UK with more offices to open as a future plan. If you want the opportunity to get into management or work in a global environment with opportunity to work in New York to name a few, then join Barrington James. Oh and if you do, Team Contracts is the one to ask for!

Cons

No cons. Recruitment as an industry is not for everyone, some people just don't the capacity to run their own business/desk.

Advice to Management

Let's open up an office in California! either that or Florida, people love sun!

"WORST PLACE IN HISTORY. DO NOT WORK FOR THESE PEOPLE! NC DEPARTMENT OF LABOR NEEDS TO CHECK THIS PLACE!!!!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Nothing about this place was good. Pure horrible!

Cons

So the contract says 8:30am to 6pm... They make you come in at 7am and leave at 8 pm and if you leave on time which they consider "early leave" they will take money off your check. They will tell you they are a growing company and they are not, they have never met their quarterly goals! They put so much pressure on you to get positions but yet you don't get commission when it's filled. There is no way you can make money in this terrible place! No opportunities for growth! Everything is just a straight up lie! It's a SWEATSHOP!!! DO NOT WORK HERE! This place is a 0 starts !!! They lie to candidates all the time about "open positions" just to get leads and make their recruiters go after the companies you are interviewing for. BE AWARE!!! All the "open jobs" are fake. It's put out there just so they can get a resume and submit it to every company and ruin your chances of actually getting the job. They submit you to companies who they have no contacts with just to get a "bit" and maybe work with them in the future. No company wants to work with them because of their crappy terms! If you are candidate give your resume out to any other vendor and if you are a person who is looking for a job this is not the company you want to work for...TRUST ME!

Advice to Management

Everything is horrible! Don't trust these people! no benefits are ever provided working with them even if you are full-time!

Mar 12, 2015

Thanks for your comments, obviously everybody is welcome to their own opinion and recruitment and indeed Barrington James are not for everyone. It is hard work and takes a certain individual to ... More

11. "Challenging & rewarding"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in East Grinstead, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in East Grinstead, England (UK)

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The environment here is like no other that I have worked in before. Not a boring office environment in the slightest. Everybody is on their feet, it's noisy, competitive, fun. It's what a sales floor should be.

You will always receive praise for working hard! It confuses me why some reviews on here say that we 'hire and fire' people and don't provide help for people who struggle. If you show a willingness to learn and have the right attitude for the job you will always be supported!

The incentives are insane - trips to Vegas, uncapped comms, Rolex's - the list goes on.

The opportunity to travel is also there to those who want it too.

The progression is black and white. You know what you need to do to get to the next step.

Cons

This isn't a negative - simply that if you don't like working towards targets then this isn't for you! You need to be willing to put in the graft to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - I enjoy working here a lot.