Barrington James Reviews | Glassdoor

Barrington James Founding Director Dan Barrington
Dan Barrington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Long hours 55-60 hour weeks are the norm" (in 24 reviews)

• "Saying that, Barrington James was great - I just didn't want to be a recruiter" (in 13 reviews)

"Great team and awesome culture!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Fun place to work, not your average boring 'office job'
    - Uncapped commission on placements and lots of other opportunities/incentives to make money
    - Really great people, and most of the directors have been in the business 10+ years
    - Training is continuous to make sure you are always getting better
    - Growth opportunities are clear
    - Got to travel all over the US (for conferences) and to London to see the HQ

I joined as soon as I finished college. There aren't a lot of companies that offer the kinds of things Barrington James does to fresh grads, so I think it's an awesome place if you're serious about starting a career in recruitment and willing to stick with it!

Cons

The work is mentally challenging and the hours are long. But recruitment requires a certain level of commitment in order to be successful, and they are very upfront about that in the interviews. If you are looking for a laid back 9-5 desk job, look somewhere else.

2. "Awesome Workplace"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment
    Opportunity to earn a lot of commission
    Work closely with management
    Hands-on training

Cons

Long hours, but that's standard of recruitment in general.

Aug 6, 2018 – Internal Recruiter

Thanks for your review, and glad to hear that you are enjoying your time with us!

Claire Stapley, Senior Internal Recruiter

"A sinking ship. Positive Reviews are fakes. Worst experience of my life!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Barrington James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

made me appreciate a good job after leaving

Cons

Management is verbally abusive.
    Was stared at all day and harassed if I went longer than 1 minute without picking up the phone.
    Training program that is supposedly “award winning” is terrible.
    Lack of tools to do the job.
    Ownership rules over accounts creates hostile, backstabbing work environment.
    They abuse people’s loyalty
    Commission structure and ownership rules set you up to fail.
    Post fake jobs just to get resumes in
    Encourages recruiters to send resumes without the candidates permission
    No flexibility on schedule, expected to work overtime

Advice to Management

Wipe it clean and start over. This mess isn’t fixable

"Extremely disorganized"

I have been working at Barrington James full-time

Pros

No pros can be provided at this time.

Cons

Poor communication and extremely disorganized.

Advice to Management

Retrain your public-facing employees as they are negatively representing the company.

Jun 26, 2018 – Internal Recruiter

Thank you for your comments.

We appreciate that Recruitment isn't for everyone, and as a current (or ex) employee you will be aware of the open door policy we have not just to speak with senior... More

5. "Great Recruitment Company!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Barrington James full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Barrington James-Raleigh is a great team to work for! Full of energetic, hard-working individuals who drive you to be the best you can be! It takes a dedicated person who walks in every morning ready to conquer the day and ready to motivate their team. It is an environment of continuous learning and allowing yourself to grow daily and become a better recruiter! In addition to being a great business to work for, you won't find a team that has more fun together and truly acts as a team, in and outside of the office!

Cons

There is nothing bad to say about Barrington James-Raleigh. Recruitment is not the kind of job that is for anyone and you have to be ready to put in the hours and dedication.

Advice to Management

Management does a great job at being completely honest with you on your work performance. It is needed in this type of work and there would be no growth without constructive criticism! There is a good balance of criticism and encouragement. They have what it takes to build a strong recruitment team!

Jun 26, 2018 – Internal Recruiter

Thank you for your review - glad to hear that you are enjoying working for Barrington James Raleigh!

- Claire Stapley, Internal Recruiter

"Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Barrington James full-time

Pros

Flat hierarchy, you have direct access to managers

Cons

Be aware the 3.8 ratings are mostly fake reviews written by management or those who are close to management who has a stake in the company.
    It is true, not everyone is made for sales, it’s very repetitive competitive, at times unethical, and you have to be money driven. But there are so many things wrong with this company that is unrelated to the nature of the work.

Pay:
    They are significantly underpaying their employees. They employ students straight out of college and tell them that because the commission structure is higher than average so they can only pay a 25k base salary. Here’s the reason, Barrington James has a horrible reputation and is established in the U.S. market. It will be very difficult for you to get clients let alone making deals. Chances are you will be surviving on the 25k base for a while, which is the SAME AMOUNT the Raleigh office gets. When the NYC office brought the issue of the base salary up because most of the employees cannot afford to live in the city and have unreasonable commute, the CEO told us that if we’re not okay with this we should just leave or go to Raleigh. There is no real incentive for the to fix the compensation problem. And there ARE other recruiting firms out there that pay a reasonable base with comparable commission, but if you bring that up they will straight up deny it and start bad mouthing other firms immediately.

Lack of Career Progression:
    There are people in the office, who are consistently billing, that hadn’t gotten promoted in two years. They give you more responsibilities but refuse to give anyone a promotion hence salary increase. And even if you do get a promotion, the increase in salary is laughable. The learning curve is also non-existing beyond the first few months. The career progression ladder they advertised on is not even close to the truth.

Culture:
    The people they hire are young and fun. But they did a horrible job integrating us with the more experience recruiters that help with training. You can tell that the people they used to hire are different than the people they are hiring. Or maybe the more experienced recruiters just saw so may rounds of turnovers, and yes the turnover is higher than industry average, and are just tired of having to help out without getting promoted. The structure set up unfriendly competition that pitches people against each other. Everybody is unhappy in the office. It’s also a very racist and sexist environment.

If you are seriously considering the position, take a closer look at some of the comments previous employees wrote that are negative. Those are the real comments. And these are not comments written by angry employees that were fired, these are comments written by hard-working and successful recruiters who had been taken advantage of by this company. I didn’t listen to them because I was fresh out of school and scared of being unemployed and I wish I did. If you are serious about recruiting, look into other firms.

Advice to Management

Stop taking advantage of fresh grads

"Loved it."

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Barrington James full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great people to work with
    -Good work/life balance
    -Supportive work environment (thorough training, always checking in to make sure you are doing well/understanding what you should be doing)
    -Run your own desk
    -Team environment
    -Casual dress
    -Fun office- lots of charity involvement, outside activities with office people
    -Great office location

Cons

No cons. Keep in mind you must be driven to work hard to succeed at BJ!

Advice to Management

N/A

8. "Sales Boot Camp - Great Money, Lots of Work, Fantastic Team"

I have been working at Barrington James full-time

Pros

Can't beat the commission structure and fun team environment with some really bright and competitive people who push each other to do their best. There is definitely a "Barrington James" persona that the company hires for which makes for a close knit culture with great banter.

Overall fantastic place to work and get your feel wet...or dive straigh into the deep end...of sales and hard core cold calling.

Lots of career progression within the company - if you are looking to build a long term career in this industry, this is place to do it.

Cons

Money Rules - everyone is extremely motivated by money which leads to some less than savory behavior in efforts to "make a deal". This could be a con, or a Pro depending on how you view things.
    Management are all great people but they are all recruiters at heard and there is literally nothing to keep behavior in check.

Advice to Management

Bring your benefits offerings and base salary up to scratch for the American Market. Europe is different and fresh college grads in the US will never stay for the long term without full benefits, 401 (k) matching and the ability to work from home etc.

"Waste of time"

Pros

To whomever wrote the review on April 13, 2017 - yes yes yes, agree with every single line of your review.

Don't know who it is but I agree wholeheartedly. I really have no reason to fabricate any lies, just telling it like I see it.

Cons

I actually agree with the BJ response to the below post: yes, it would have made sense for you to acknowledge and address each of the raised points, but then again, there isn't much to contest is there? I am truly, truly curious to know which of them specifically you confidently believe to be outright lies.

May 31, 2017 – Member of the Senior Management Team

Hi and thanks for your review.

Your review says that you're a current employee of ours, which means you're also colleague of mine.

If that's the case and you're still with us please come and... More

"Money Money Money"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

Pros

I have worked at the Barrington James USA office for just under a year.
    The great things about this firm is the earning potential and the people. Everyone is really focused and hard working ( the ones that weren't have left!) and rewards and recognition are awesome.
    Some negative comments on here- but all I have seen / experienced is great management who have or are all currently running a desk in recruitment as well as team leadership and they are trying to help me learn . They only invest time in people who put in loads of effort in return but I agree with that.

Cons

It's long hours but with my recent commission of 9k it is clear that you only get results when you put in long days. Can be stressful. The people who have left and written bad reviews gave off bad vibes that bring the team down. When you're at work 11 hours some days you don't wanna be demotivated by your team- it should be a positive environment.
    If you think you can sell you would be crazy not to try this company! Base salary is livable and it makes me work even harder to earn stupidly high commissions!

Advice to Management

Don't change the comms structure- its amazing.
    Do the Vegas trip every year? I like that you change it each year but Vegas every year would be better
    Keep the open door policy you have