Barrington James Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Barrington James Founding Director Dan Barrington
Dan Barrington

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Barrington James-Raleigh is a great team to work for (in 28 reviews)

• Can't beat the commission structure and fun team environment with some really bright and competitive people who push each other to do their best (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Very long hours (but you get out what you put in) (in 17 reviews)

• Saying that, Barrington James was great - I just didn't want to be a recruiter (in 13 reviews)

1. "Great Recruitment Company!"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Barrington James full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Barrington James-Raleigh is a great team to work for! Full of energetic, hard-working individuals who drive you to be the best you can be! It takes a dedicated person who walks in every morning ready to conquer the day and ready to motivate their team. It is an environment of continuous learning and allowing yourself to grow daily and become a better recruiter! In addition to being a great business to work for, you won't find a team that has more fun together and truly acts as a team, in and outside of the office!

Cons

There is nothing bad to say about Barrington James-Raleigh. Recruitment is not the kind of job that is for anyone and you have to be ready to put in the hours and dedication.

Advice to Management

Management does a great job at being completely honest with you on your work performance. It is needed in this type of work and there would be no growth without constructive criticism! There is a good balance of criticism and encouragement. They have what it takes to build a strong recruitment team!

"Recruitment Consultant"

I worked at Barrington James full-time

Pros

Flat hierarchy, you have direct access to managers

Cons

Be aware the 3.8 ratings are mostly fake reviews written by management or those who are close to management who has a stake in the company.
    It is true, not everyone is made for sales, it’s very repetitive competitive, at times unethical, and you have to be money driven. But there are so many things wrong with this company that is unrelated to the nature of the work.

Pay:
    They are significantly underpaying their employees. They employ students straight out of college and tell them that because the commission structure is higher than average so they can only pay a 25k base salary. Here’s the reason, Barrington James has a horrible reputation and is established in the U.S. market. It will be very difficult for you to get clients let alone making deals. Chances are you will be surviving on the 25k base for a while, which is the SAME AMOUNT the Raleigh office gets. When the NYC office brought the issue of the base salary up because most of the employees cannot afford to live in the city and have unreasonable commute, the CEO told us that if we’re not okay with this we should just leave or go to Raleigh. There is no real incentive for the to fix the compensation problem. And there ARE other recruiting firms out there that pay a reasonable base with comparable commission, but if you bring that up they will straight up deny it and start bad mouthing other firms immediately.

Lack of Career Progression:
    There are people in the office, who are consistently billing, that hadn’t gotten promoted in two years. They give you more responsibilities but refuse to give anyone a promotion hence salary increase. And even if you do get a promotion, the increase in salary is laughable. The learning curve is also non-existing beyond the first few months. The career progression ladder they advertised on is not even close to the truth.

Culture:
    The people they hire are young and fun. But they did a horrible job integrating us with the more experience recruiters that help with training. You can tell that the people they used to hire are different than the people they are hiring. Or maybe the more experienced recruiters just saw so may rounds of turnovers, and yes the turnover is higher than industry average, and are just tired of having to help out without getting promoted. The structure set up unfriendly competition that pitches people against each other. Everybody is unhappy in the office. It’s also a very racist and sexist environment.

If you are seriously considering the position, take a closer look at some of the comments previous employees wrote that are negative. Those are the real comments. And these are not comments written by angry employees that were fired, these are comments written by hard-working and successful recruiters who had been taken advantage of by this company. I didn’t listen to them because I was fresh out of school and scared of being unemployed and I wish I did. If you are serious about recruiting, look into other firms.

Advice to Management

Stop taking advantage of fresh grads

"Loved it."

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Barrington James full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great people to work with
    -Good work/life balance
    -Supportive work environment (thorough training, always checking in to make sure you are doing well/understanding what you should be doing)
    -Run your own desk
    -Team environment
    -Casual dress
    -Fun office- lots of charity involvement, outside activities with office people
    -Great office location

Cons

No cons. Keep in mind you must be driven to work hard to succeed at BJ!

Advice to Management

N/A

4. "Sales Boot Camp - Great Money, Lots of Work, Fantastic Team"

I have been working at Barrington James full-time

Pros

Can't beat the commission structure and fun team environment with some really bright and competitive people who push each other to do their best. There is definitely a "Barrington James" persona that the company hires for which makes for a close knit culture with great banter.

Overall fantastic place to work and get your feel wet...or dive straigh into the deep end...of sales and hard core cold calling.

Lots of career progression within the company - if you are looking to build a long term career in this industry, this is place to do it.

Cons

Money Rules - everyone is extremely motivated by money which leads to some less than savory behavior in efforts to "make a deal". This could be a con, or a Pro depending on how you view things.
    Management are all great people but they are all recruiters at heard and there is literally nothing to keep behavior in check.

Advice to Management

Bring your benefits offerings and base salary up to scratch for the American Market. Europe is different and fresh college grads in the US will never stay for the long term without full benefits, 401 (k) matching and the ability to work from home etc.

"Waste of time"

Pros

To whomever wrote the review on April 13, 2017 - yes yes yes, agree with every single line of your review.

Don't know who it is but I agree wholeheartedly. I really have no reason to fabricate any lies, just telling it like I see it.

Cons

I actually agree with the BJ response to the below post: yes, it would have made sense for you to acknowledge and address each of the raised points, but then again, there isn't much to contest is there? I am truly, truly curious to know which of them specifically you confidently believe to be outright lies.

Barrington James Response

May 31, 2017 – Member of the Senior Management Team

Hi and thanks for your review.

Your review says that you're a current employee of ours, which means you're also colleague of mine.

If that's the case and you're still with us please come and... More

"Money Money Money"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

Pros

I have worked at the Barrington James USA office for just under a year.
    The great things about this firm is the earning potential and the people. Everyone is really focused and hard working ( the ones that weren't have left!) and rewards and recognition are awesome.
    Some negative comments on here- but all I have seen / experienced is great management who have or are all currently running a desk in recruitment as well as team leadership and they are trying to help me learn . They only invest time in people who put in loads of effort in return but I agree with that.

Cons

It's long hours but with my recent commission of 9k it is clear that you only get results when you put in long days. Can be stressful. The people who have left and written bad reviews gave off bad vibes that bring the team down. When you're at work 11 hours some days you don't wanna be demotivated by your team- it should be a positive environment.
    If you think you can sell you would be crazy not to try this company! Base salary is livable and it makes me work even harder to earn stupidly high commissions!

Advice to Management

Don't change the comms structure- its amazing.
    Do the Vegas trip every year? I like that you change it each year but Vegas every year would be better
    Keep the open door policy you have

7. "Great Place to Work!!"

Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in New York, NY

Pros

As a Manager in the NYC office, I've experienced a fantastic learning curve since joining the firm 18 months ago. Having worked at other recruitment agencies in the past, it has been brilliant to learn from Directors with such a breadth of experience. Learning from a CEO with a clear vision and an unrelenting drive for success has been hugely inspiring. Learning from a CIO who has trained recruiters at dozens of other recruitment companies in the past has been invaluable for improving myself as both a recruiter and a manager. Learning from our Directors has been fantastic on a daily basis and improved my skills in every aspect of recruiting and running a business. Hearing from all these people on a daily/weekly basis puts you on an unparalleled learning path from anything else I've seen. Whether you come in at graduate level or a more senior level, you will undoubtedly (should you put in the effort!) thrive as a recruiter within the industry. You have every tool here to succeed!

Also, the commission structure is great! No thresholds and awesome percentages!! Monthly, Quarterly and Yearly Incentives too.....work hard, play hard!!

Cons

It's hard work.....obviously. You get out what you put in!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing!!

8. "Recruitment Consultant - Currently working in NYC"

Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Fantastic company! I came here from another sales organization as I was looking for the chance to utilize my experience and benefit from a commission structure that was more transparent than what I previously had. I have just had my first large pay check through and although I had to work my a** off for it, it was totally worthwhile.
    The on-desk training I have received since joining has been great, the managers and directors sit with you one on one and spend time helping you perfect your sales skills and sales calls.
    My favorite thing about the company is that the management team are so approachable. There's always someone around to help out with whatever it may be you're stuck with. I've worked in several places before this where approaching senior business leaders just hasn't been possible and I think it can really damage the atmosphere of a company.

Cons

The cons are the obvious cons in any 'sales-type' position. Long-hours, high-pressure target driven environment, dealing with constant rejections on sales calls etc.
    When I interviewed it was made very transparent to me that these are common issues people have faced in the past so I was very aware of what I was walking into and I appreciated the transparency.

Advice to Management

Stop taking me for after work drinks I'm trying to keep my weight down!!

"Barrington James is genuinely the most horrific place to work"

Former Employee - Recruitment Consultant in Raleigh, NC

I worked at Barrington James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

BJ provides a great bonus structure, additionally they support goals for relocation to other countries which is difficult to find.

Cons

Barrington James is genuinely the most horrific place to work. My experience is as one of the top global performers, someone who committed 60+ hours a week to the job and was constantly doing their part to see the company succeed.

Barrington James' Senior management and the CEO are narcissistic, manipulative, racist, intolerant and cruel. They don't find it necessary to treat their employees with respect or equality. They will turn their back on their top performers and don't lose sleep while doing so.

I hope everyone realizes that those fake 5 star reviews are the directors, managers and most likely family members who are doing their best to save the reputation of this poor excuse for a company.

To address a few points made by previous postings/responses from BJ:

Retention: I can only speak to the US team but the "95% retention after one year" is absolutely BS. Those who are still with the company are tied to their visa and are basically stuck with the company. Barrington James requires all employees to create new LinkedIn profiles upon joining, they keep them open so that it looks like the teams are much larger than they really are

The environment is extremely toxic. The CEO hardly makes eye contact with anyone besides his male management staff (who are British, appreciate or tolerate his racist and sexist "humor" and are willing to support his alcoholic tendencies) outside of that and a few cute blondes the only eye contact he will make with you is a look of disgust.

Complaints: Sure, no company wants a complainer or someone who is going put forth negative energy into the office. However, sharing your opinion on how you are treated, communicated with, managed or disrespected is deemed as complaining. basically if you stand up for yourself you are reprimanded or threatened with termination.

To address "not being a fit for BJ" means a few things but the most important to address is1. Not being able to tolerate the "banter". Barrington James definition of banter includes racism or sexist remarks . I have first hand experience with the CEO making remarks and when I stood up for myself my employment within the organization was questioned.

I highly suggest reaching out to some former employees on LinkedIn for advice prior to joining. Do a name search and you can easily find their personal accounts that have their current place of employment.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees with respect. Understand that "one size fits all" management style does not work and that there is a reason you are unable to retain your US staff.

Barrington James Response

May 5, 2016

Thanks for replying again!!!! And again missing the point....

We have chosen a way for our company to run and be run and we do not shy away from that. Because it doesn't fit anyone's particular... More

"Such a rewarding place to work!!!"

Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Recruitment Consultant in New York, NY

I have been working at Barrington James full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Barrington James has so much to offer whether you are a recruitment consultant just staring off or a Sr. Manager looking to grow into a Director level role. No matter the day or time, there's always an abundance of energy in the office and a great vibe that makes everyone want to succeed. I've worked for several recruitment agencies prior to joining BJ and this company has been by far the most exciting and laid back company. The management team is extremely supportive but doesn't have micro-manage like many recruitment companies. You can truly build your own desk and business, allowing you to be a true entrepreneur. The commission structure is excellent and is uncapped, so most are capable of earning well over $100k the first year. BJ also has fantastic incentives: Directors Lunches, High-rollers club (Vegas, Dubai, Miami, etc), team events, traveling options (global conferences), performance events, etc. The most incredible part of BJ is that the CEO, Dan Barrington, takes time to really know who you are and will even take you out to lunch or evening drinks out. He is extremely well-liked by everyone and believes having fun at work is an important and essential ingrediant for success.

Cons

Like all recruitment roles, long hours and hard work is needed but Barrington James will reward you for your efforts and motivate you to be successful.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work! Thank you for being wonderful mentors/leaders for our us future managers at Barrington James.