Barry Levin Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Barry Levin Associates Reviews

3.1
CEO

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Overall great experience and training"

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Barry Levin Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Overall great company to work for. The company has a good reputation and a solid base of national clients and projects to work on and plenty of chances to learn from senior engineers.

Cons

It was very busy and work load was heavy. Communication between management and employees could be improved.

2. "Senior Project Engineer"

I worked at Barry Levin Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company with good reputation and very stable

Cons

Management needs to improve considerably. Lack of motivation.

Advice to Management

Listen more frequently to employee needs.

"Not enough opportunity for growth and development"

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Barry Levin Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's small enough that everyone has their own office. It's pretty quiet if you like that sort of environment. The work was easy. You get to familiarize yourself with various building codes and basic wood, steel and concrete design. Overtime can be rare depending on which account you work on.

Cons

Low, low pay. Hours aren't very flexible; no one can leave before 5pm. And if you want to take time off you're better off just calling in sick. The office space is cheap, dingy and outdated; my desk was literally a folding table. I averaged at least 30 hours a week doing autoCAD drafting and very little relevant engineering. Their idea of training consisted largely of reading building codes and having time pass. Management has no clue how to deal with employees, especially new grads. I would be sworn at for making mistakes, have my work called garbage (or worse), be made fun of for asking "stupid" questions, or just get made fun of for my appearance. Instead of promoting a collaborative environment, it was a very toxic and uneasy environment. It's hard to go to work every day when no one seems to want to be there.

Advice to Management

A culture change is needed to keep people from quitting. Let one person deal with the clients and another deal with your engineers, one person can't do it all. And if you're going to hire new grads, you need to guide them, not just throw vague objectives at them and expect perfection. Stop swearing at people and start treating your senior employees with the respect that they've earned. Maybe consider hiring a dedicated CAD tech.

"Engineer"

Former Freelancer - Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Freelancer - Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Barry Levin Associates (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stable employment; not a difficult job

Cons

Low salaries; not accompany that motivates employees.

Advice to Management

Learn how to motivate your personnel

"Great experience!"

Former Employee - Structural Engineer in Elmhurst, IL

Pros

Great company from top to bottom. Learned a lot over my 7+ years of employment. Great place to work if you enjoy building design.

Cons

Office is small. Communication between employees could be improved. Office supplies are outdated. The time off policy can be better.

"An very small 18th century structural engineering company that is ruled by a megalomaniac."

Former Employee - Project Engineer in Elmhurst, IL
    Former Employee - Project Engineer in Elmhurst, IL

I worked at Barry Levin Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paychecks were on time. There was very little supervision and no one talks to each other all day long unless it is your boss coming in to ask you how much do you love me or her yelling at the top of her lungs about "stupidities". The time spent there still counts towards sitting for your PE license. It was heated in the winter.

Cons

The entire office is a circus of cultures and odd personalities that have never had to do teamwork until they hired 4 new employees within the last year. Everybody was miserable there, as was I in my windowless office. You are here to work, not to learn is what I was told in month one. Along with long, forced discussions in morning meetings with your female boss about what I do in my personal life with such topics as: are you having sex, you life is boring, architects are stupid, and tell me how cute I am. The days are filled with CAD and copying old projects to fit the new projects, sometimes using white out and a photocopier. No professional development allowed. I was told a master's is a waste of time and there is no incentive to get your PE as the ceiling is very low at this very small company. This place should be your last workable option once McDonalds says you can't work there. You've been warned.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Fire BB to avoid a lawsuit in the near future. Train your employees way more effectively. Join the 21st century of engineering and technology.

7. "Great well of experience"

Former Employee - Senior Project Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Barry Levin Associates full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to gain experience and practice in multiple construction materials, this is a place for you. There are friendly coworkers in this company. The company try its best to keep engineers especially during bad economy but, expect to get pay cut.

Cons

Do not expect salary increase with your responsibilities or how you improved company portfolio with PE license. A company of many "managers" with few "workers".

8. "BL&A"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Good place to get experience with a varied amount of structural types of projects. Staff kept lean to maximize billable time.

Cons

Staff kept lean so when projects hit its easy to get overloaded.

Advice to Management

Regional Managers that are counterproductive and disruptive due to personality defects should be re-assigned to non-management positions.

9. "Had a great time at BL&A"

I worked at Barry Levin Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Working on commercial projects on a national level brings a great deal of experience in all aspects of design.

Cons

Environment can be boring at times.

10. "It's got it's pluses and minuses"

Pros

There are a number of employees willing to help each other better their engineering abilities.

Cons

It is common to be placed in a box of what management considers one's "skill set".