Barton Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Robert Indresano

Pros
Cons
  • My only con would be the work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• The long hours are kind of a bummer, but you work hard to play harder (in 35 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Senior Account Manager Perspective"

Current Employee - Group Manager, Account Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Group Manager, Account Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Barton almost 2 1/2 years and I have truly enjoyed my time here so far. I feel as if I am apart of a big close knit Barton family. Very work hard/play hard type of atmosphere. I like that it is a group atmosphere to a certain extent but at the end of the day a very independent job. When it comes to the opportunity you have here, success is in your own hands. Does not matter about seniority, but about how hard you work. If you grind then it will pay off and you will start to make the kind of money here that you would have no chance at making anywhere else. What I made in my second year over doubled my pay in my first year and it is only going to continue to go up as long as I don't take my foot off of the gas. When it comes to management I have really enjoyed being a manager and the perks that come along with that but I like that it is perfectly fine if someone wanted to step down and just be an independent. Managers are only promoted from within, never hired from the outside to come in and boss people around. The opportunity to keep moving up is insane here. The boss that runs our whole office started about 5 yrs ago in another office ground zero as an associate account manager, she is truly inspiring with everything she does.

Cons

Things constantly change with the clients/providers that are out of your control so you have to be able to roll with the punches and keep going. If you take your foot off of the gas for too long then it could really hurt you a few months down the line. This is a paid for production type of job, though you have a very healthy base pay (that increases) you do not want to settle with that. To be able to make it through the grind of the first 6 months you have to be able to see the big picture of the opportunity at hand. If you can make it over the initial humps then things take off and snowball!

2. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Group Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a challenging job here, I would never sugar coat it at all. You have to really want it and not get complacent! Drive is everything, motivation is key and an attitude keeps you going. You never want to settle here, if you climb up one ladder and reach the top find a taller ladder the next time. You continue to set goals everyday and that is important. You are in charge of your success here and that is a great feeling. If you put in the work you can make it happen! Know that you are learning from amazing managers! Barton does not hire outside management so you are learning from people that have been in your seat! You have a more extensive training in the first week, but you continue to have morning meetings everyday to help you become better at your job. Barton Associates will challenge you, but you have to keep pushing. The Austin office has a great office atmosphere! Lot's of positive attitudes and a lot of people willing to help you be the best you can be! We have holiday potlucks at the office, and team building outings as well to get to know your group.

Cons

I wouldn't really say that there is a bad part about Barton. You drive your success and no one can do that for you. You obviously have managers that will help you with anything, but at the end of the day you are the only person that can make it happen for yourself!

3. "It's not a sprint it's a Marathon!-Recruiter"

Current Employee - Associate Recruiter in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Recruiter in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-You get to work with great people who support each other
    - Fun environment
    - Great place for growth

Cons

-Long Hours
    -Lots of ups and downs, but staying positive and having a work hard play hard attitude can take you a long way

Advice to Management

Always stay positive ! Always strive for the best

4. "Locum hire"

Current Employee - Physician in Kansas City, KS
    Current Employee - Physician in Kansas City, KS

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great professional service very efficient

Cons

None they are very supportive

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"A Company Where Everyone Can Succeed!!"

Current Employee - Group Manager in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I started here at Barton almost 7 years ago--right out of college. I had no experience in Sales or Recruiting-- and I've never looked back!

Barton has given me the confidence in life to accomplish literally anything I set my mind to. The training meetings at Barton and the on-the-floor support of the managers and peers will accelerate your career-- and take you out of your comfort zone. This is absolutely essential for personal and professional growth. Also, it is common for most sales people to switch their sales job at least once or twice in their career..but not for me! From the atmosphere and the market we recruit in, to the incentives and compensation structure, I have never second-guessed my company! If you are goal-oriented, ambitious, and have a great attitude-- then this is the right opportunity for you..

Cons

Everyone puts in long hours and works hard, but that's a positive, not a negative, especially given their stage and size in the market. It's great to see everyone pulling their weight! Just like in any sport-- the team that works the hardest always has a chance to win the championship. Here at Barton: if you work hard you will meet your personal and career goals and make the money you never thought you could!

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! ​

"I wish I knew then what I know now"

Former Employee - Associate Account Development Manager in Peabody, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Account Development Manager in Peabody, MA

I worked at Barton Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get to work with some really awesome people

Cons

Based on the other reviews Barton has gotten, I can agree with most of them.

When I started with Barton, I was so excited to be there. The atmosphere is intense (in an energetic way), the building is beautiful and modern; I just couldn't wait to hit the phones. Everything changed from there. I am a hard worker, anyone that I worked with there would attest to that, but because of the inexperienced manager who claims he was forced into the position, I quickly started feeling my fire go out. I was constantly being pulled into a room and torn down, my job was threatened numerous times for "lack of performance" but when I started sending all of my calls to our team lead, I was told that they were all solid reasons to add the client to my database (weird, huh?). It got to the point where I had to go to other group managers for advice and ask for direction because I knew that if I went to my own manager, I would be brushed off or have to hear about him pat himself on the back and make it all about him.

Finally enough was enough and I had to leave. Between the long hours, terrible manager, and poor pay/high cost for benefits I couldn't take it anymore. The pay is low (30k/yr to start) but the potential to make money via commission is great, you have to wait 6 months before you can earn commission though.

Advice to Management

Please really evaluate who you make a group manager/managers in general.

See if you can increase base pay to 35k and then bump up higher after 6 months because getting 800-850 every two weeks is not enough to live off of.

Barton Associates Response

Jun 5, 2017 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback, and I am sorry for your experience. I would like to look into this situation further, and I would very much appreciate if you could reach out to me to provide some ... More

7. "Great Place to Grow a Career"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Tempe, AZ

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've worked at Barton for a year. One of my favorite things about the office is the opportunities you are given. Opportunity to grow as a staffing professional, as a manager (they promote from within) and to grow your career. You can make some serious money if you work hard. Yes it's hard work so it's not for people who are looking for offices with napping pods, catered lunches, and happy hour from 4-5. If you're competitive like me and love to be challenged and grow, this is a great job. It will push you and you will learn so much

Cons

Not many I can think of, every office has it's ups and downs. The long hours are kind of a bummer, but you work hard to play harder. A lot of these negative reviews seem exaggerated.

Advice to Management

The office had some recent changes in management and I'm really happy with the way things are progressing.

"Recruiter"

Former Employee - Recruiter in Peabody, MA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Peabody, MA

I worked at Barton Associates part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun environment, good work life balance.

Cons

Nothing that I can complain about.

"Associate Account Development Manager"

Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Former Employee - Associate Account Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I worked at Barton Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

All the newer workers can talk about how awful it is to work there - becoming friends with people easily.

Cons

The work/life balance was never a balance - you seriously have maybe two hours out of the day to do anything worthwhile. The men who have been working there are dogs and so ridiculously cocky, it made working there as a woman really uncomfortable. They sell it as a great business, but the entirety of the business is working your butt off just to "not sell enough" so the higher-ups can take the accounts you acquired. Just really not a great company.

Advice to Management

Be better, do better.

"A true nightmare"

Former Employee - Account Development Manager in Tempe, AZ
    Former Employee - Account Development Manager in Tempe, AZ

I worked at Barton Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Sales experience but otherwise none.

Cons

Everything. There is huge turnover here for a market that is completely saturated. Barton absolutely kills people on prices because they can't compete with other agencies. They tell us that we sell all of these providers but to focus on NPs/PAs. Meetings also get repetitive. Several times I witnessed sketchy or unethical things happen with different files, managers and even filling jobs. They promote people to management who they like and count on good people to quit. This way the crappy new managers can gain good files and start getting some billing. They completely play favorites and neglect hard work. I had an absolutely awful experience with this being my first full time job and a lot of the time I felt anxious and out of place even though I was doing the job well and producing.

Advice to Management

You don't know what you're doing. Stop promoting bad people and change your management tactics completely. This office is a nightmare filled with so much hypocrisy, it's no wonder there's so much turnover. Also stop hand selecting people to be managers who haven't even closed a sale on their own.

Barton Associates Response

May 10, 2017 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for providing your feedback. In the $3.6 billion and growing Locum Tenens market, Barton Associates still has ample opportunity to grow and gain an even bigger market share. Barton’s ... More