Barton Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated February 13, 2019

3.3
Robert Indresano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "A great entry-level job that has the potential to make a lot of money" (in 23 reviews)

• "You have a huge opportunity to break into a large market and make a lot of money if you are willing to try" (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • "Even with training, getting developed takes a few months, the work hours leave little room for work-life balance" (in 29 reviews)

• "If you like sales then maybe this job is for you, if not then be prepared to be demoralized after every day working pretty long hours" (in 52 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"A great place to start a career"

Current Employee - Account Development Manager in Keene, NH
    Current Employee - Account Development Manager in Keene, NH

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Positive atmosphere, emphasis on continual training, competent, supportive and encouraging management. Tons of growth potential as an individual and on the management end of things. A great place to work!

Cons

Difficult job to learn, easy for a lot of people to quit before giving it an honest attempt. It can be frustrating at times and feel like you've hit a wall, but management is consistently supportive in helping you to move forward.

2. "Excellent pay for Hard Work"

Current Employee - Team Manager in Keene, NH
    Current Employee - Team Manager in Keene, NH

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of growth potential and money to be made. You can live the life you want so long as you work for it.

Cons

It is HARD WORK. If you are lazy, have low work ethic, and want everything done for you this is not the place to work.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on bringing in hard workers and continuing to reward the top performers that are putting in the hard work.

"Not the company it used to be"

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time

Pros

Pros

-A chance for promotions early

This is both a pro and a con. The pro is that if you have no experience in management, they will promote you within 6-12 months just based on how your work ethic is. The quicker you pick the job up, the quicker you can move up. That can also be a con because there are a plethora of managers just learning the ropes which results in sloppy work company wide.

-Commission can be great

If you figure out how to have multiple providers going at once you have the chance to make serious commission here. More than your base salary. Keep in mind though, most employees have a hard time even making 1 assignment.

-Teaches you how to have thick skin

If you end up working at Barton for over a year, you will deal with many ups and downs. A lot of these downs won't even be your fault. When you deal with the roller coaster of a ride this job is, it helps you prepare for whatever is next in your career.

Cons

There is a lot here. If you are seriously considering working here, please read everything before making up your mind.

- Culture

The only good part of the culture here is that it's full of people in their 20s. It allows for everyone to connect easier and you will make true life-long friends here. However, most people leave because the culture ends up being overruled by the corporate culture of "everyone is expendable". You can be making the company thousands of dollars a month and the second it stops you are berated on what might happen if you don't put something together. Unfortunately, this job is nothing but uncertainty, so even if you're trying, you might not produce to the level they want. If that happens, management is taught to instill fear into the employees to "help them produce". This kind of culture creates a vicious cycle of turnover, even forcing some of the most bought in employees to quit.

-Management

Going back to my point about the pro of moving up fast. The only reason that happens is because so many managers step down or get demoted because they truly aren’t meant to manage. Managers step down because it’s not worth it. You get a very, very small raise and are required to pick up 3+ employees and manage their production. Keep in mind, you have to produce as well. Someone who has never managed should not be put into a situation at this job where you put the career of 3 new employees in their hands and expect them to produce at “Barton Standards”. The biggest issue with management is the “flex” many managers across this company give. There are some very good managers here, but the majority are egotistical, arrogant, and clueless on how to manage. The perfect manager at Barton is one who makes club excellence every year. That’s how they see it. If you don’t bill millions a year there’s no way you can be a good manager. The funny part is, it’s the opposite. Most of the managers billing in the top 5% percentile of the company are actually some of the hardest managers to work with. They don’t understand that not everyone can do as much sales as them and this results in them mismanaging their own new hires. Additionally the big billers spend their time more on themselves and let their reports virtually run wild.

-Hiring the wrong people

There is nothing wrong with hiring someone fresh out of school with no sales experience. Everyone has to start somewhere. But here, we hire as many people as humanly possible because our turnover is so high. This has resulted in a plethora of inexperienced employees. Now this wouldn’t be a con in most people’s eyes, however, when your career is dependant on someone who doesn’t know what they are doing, it creates multiple issues. Numerous people I know here, myself included, have lost millions in sales due to the sloppiness of employees who can’t sell, don’t follow processes, and don’t care enough. You cannot live off your base salary unless you’re living at home with your parents still. So imagine you have your own place, student loans, etc. You HAVE to make sales if you want this job to be worth it. Now imagine you can’t make rent because someone who doesn’t know how to do their job screws up your deal. The reason we have to hire so much is because we keep growing the company, so we need to fill the seats. Some people aren’t meant to work here, and it’s okay, but we hire anyone who seems like they can talk and hold a conversation. The whole interview process needs to be revamped and we need to start being more picky about who we hire. Other companies require 2-3 interview processes and check references so they hire the RIGHT people.

-Work/Life balance

To put it plainly, there is none. 7-5 and the “good employees” come in earlier and leave after 6. It is frowned upon by some managers if you leave at 5 on the dot. It shows you aren’t bought in. The thing that has always rubbed me the wrong way is how frowned upon it is to take time off. This includes being sick. I remember one of my managers once told someone on my team that if you think a cold is a good excuse to not come in, you should find another job. So instead, the employee comes in and gets everyone in the office sick. It is automatically assumed if you call out for being sick, you are interviewing somewhere else or aren’t bought in. We have 5 offices in the Northeast. Obviously there’s a ton of snow up there in the winter. 99% of companies on a day that expects snow tells their employees to stay home. At Barton they want you to show up and if it gets worse use PTO. I was once shunned for wanting to leave early when we had 9 inches of snow on the way and I had to drive 35 minutes home in my sedan car. The fact that employees would be shunned or even have to use PTO during a winter storm is absolutely despicable.

-Morning Meetings

They are great…...for the first 6 months. Many offices require you to come in 7-8 to sit through redundant meetings since you aren’t on salary no matter your tenure. If you move into management and onto salary, you are required to come in at 7 every day regardless if you are giving the meeting or not. You are required to work 5 unpaid hours every week, which is really unfair. You need to seriously reconsider this.

-Negativity

Positive reinforcement hardly exists here. At least from what I’ve seen. Managers get ripped apart even when their team had a decent month. I once heard a story about one of the companies highest billers being told by upper management that they weren’t doing enough and were coasting. This person was billing more than entire offices. If you are a high biller and don’t have enough dials you are shunned. If you have a ton of dials and low phone time, you are shunned. If you make 5 sales one month and 4 the next month, you are shunned. Nothing is ever good enough here. The reason why is because upper management thinks that people are motivated by being talked down to. That’s why we hire so many athletes because they think they can take the abuse, like taking it from a coach.

-Tough market

The locum market is massive. Billion dollar market. That’s why there’s over 100 agencies out there. True, Barton is one of the biggest, but it’s one of the hardest to make sales with. We get smoked by other agencies, mainly due to cost reasons. I’ve seen us throw away millions in sales over hospitals not being willing to pay more. Then another agency swoops in, offers a lower rate and they get the business. I don’t quite get this practice, maybe Barton has a bigger plan in mind, but regardless you can expect to not make deals over things as crazy as that. Recruiters have it a bit more easier since every year thousands of new providers come available. If you are accepting a job as an account manager, make sure you understand that business will be exponentially harder to come by. Your best bet at making it here as a new account manager is to scrape by, get what sales you can get, and hope one of the higher up employees leaves and you get their big accounts.

-Favoritism

This is one of the worst things that Barton allows to happen and it comes directly from the office managers and team managers. You want the best inherited files...be their favorite. You want to have a bad month and not worry about being put on “a performance plan”...be the favorite. There is zero oversight from corporate with regards to the day to day, so this is common practice in most offices and nothing is done. It would be one thing if your phone time was through the roof because you were trying, but that isn’t the case most of the time. If you are not the favorite, as most of the newer people won’t be, then you will fend for yourself and you will HAVE to grow your own career, just don’t be shocked when you see it in practice in whatever office you work in.

-Lying

Making this company look better internally IS a top priority. The office managers and team managers do it to get compliance. I have had to sit through meetings where they “explain” why a past employee quit and how they were never a good fit at Barton, the whole time knowing that everything coming out of the office manager’s mouth was a lie. This company is all in their 20s and we all talk, about everything. The truth comes out quickly. Every. Single. Time. And then your employees that are left look at how you talk about their friend who quit and the resentment and negativity increase. How this hasn’t been realized is shocking.

Advice to Management

I truly hope you will address these issues one of these days to improve business. Yes, you are already a very successful agency. If we keep moving forward like this, there will be no more exponential growth. You will simply flat line or worse, collapse. The thing that should make everyone look in the mirror the most is how the top sales people in the company have quit consistently over the past 3 years. Anyone making well over six figures should have no reason to leave unless there was a deeper issues at play. If you keep shaking off these quits as not a big deal, we continue to not address the issues and make it worse. Hiring more new employees will not replace your tenured employees. Even if you pass the files, most of the providers/clients won’t even want to work with a new point of contact. At some point it’s time for someone to take the blame and actually attempt to change. This company was great to work for. I had some of my best days earlier in Barton. Since getting bigger, it has only gotten worse. Please address these issues, care about your employees more, and there will still be time to salvage what has been lost. One last thing, please stop emailing employees telling them to write reviews on glassdoor to share their “positive experience”. If things were going better here employees would write them without being told.

Feb 14, 2019 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for providing your feedback and opinions on glassdoor. As a current employee, you have a great opportunity to act as an agent of change inside the company. I would like to understand... More

"Not a great place to work at"

Former Employee - Staffing Specialist
    Former Employee - Staffing Specialist

I worked at Barton Associates full-time

Pros

Coworkers are great, only giving 2 stars because the people you work with will make working there less horrible.

Cons

-Very high turnover rate, about 2-3 people quit a week.
    -They don't care about their employees, they hire like crazy to fill all of the constant empty desks in their office
    -They tell you one thing in training and then tell you to do everything differently once you actually get on the phone.
    -Morning meetings are a waste of time and often repeat themselves.
    -Managers have the same requirements as the people under them so it is hard to ask questions because they're also trying to hit the same phone time as you.
    -They start training managers too early so people who are doing slightly well will be put through training even though they are not manager material.
    -If you are new then you will be calling a pool of people who don't want to get called and will be told that you didn't try hard enough to keep them on the phone.
    -Good luck trying to fill a position with an Account Manager from a different office because if they don't recognize your name they won't answer your call. There is a lot of competition between different offices so people try to fill different positions with people from their own office.
    -They promise you'll make a ton of money really fast but its not true, you only start making money after you put someone on assignment which takes MONTHS

Advice to Management

Have trainings that actually help people succeed and be more organized. If you were more organized and actually cared about your employees maybe you wouldn't have such a high turnover rate.

Feb 14, 2019 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your co-workers. We take pride in hiring great team members and providing them with exceptional opportunities to learn and grow... More

"Amazing Learning Experience but lack of transparency and unwillingness to adapt in a competitive market."

Former Employee - Group Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Group Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Barton Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Great co-workers! Made life long friends who have your back.
    - Really collaborate work environment. People are willing to help you
    - Amazing career building experience. This job makes you work HARD - anywhere you go from here will be a piece of cake because you are a more well rounded individual.
    - Really high commission rewards - the money from sales will drive your pay check up ALOT.
    - Fun team nights and team building activities. (work hard, play hard)
    - Teaches you great time management
    - Amazing support from the office manager and some group managers
    - TONS of opportunity for upward mobility (management opportunities as early as 3 months)
    - Fly out trainings (for group managers) to corporate head quarters for extended training.
    - Really good health benefits and 401K plans (read your benefits package!)
    - 10 Days of PTO
    - Payed holidays
    - Potential for work life/balance but it takes effort

* Overall my time at Barton was a positive one. I loved my job and really enjoyed my coworkers. I just don't think this companies structure sets you up for long term success. (There are very few people in the office that have been there over 2 years)

Cons

- Grueling hours - 7 AM to 5 PM every day with little to no flexibility
    - Tough politics to swallow in certain occasions - (lower level employees have to hit huge mark-ups, but some higher ups close deals as low as 25%)
    - Round robin interview process (this means you will be placed in a job or department based on availability not what may work best management wise)
    - Repetitive meetings (there is meetings every day from 7:15 - 8:00AM but the topics can be mundane after a while)
    - little to no interaction with C-Suite. The president and vice president of the company rarely visit the Austin branch.
    - Lack of transparency from HR and some management positions. Questions that are asked are answered in a round about way. Most of the time you are not given direct answers.
    - Favoritism
    - Micro Management
    - Sick days and PTO days are different - so if your sick you have to use PTO.

Advice to Management

Increase your base pay from 35k to 50K to be more competitive with other recruitment firms. (50K is pretty standard for entry level at other recruitment agencies). People leave so early on because it is simply not enough pay to be working 45 hours a week.

Lower your mark-ups for sales requirements - if you lower your mark-ups (even the slightest) for your lower level employees then it will be easier for them to make sales. This would make them make money quicker and provide you guys with more sales overall. More importantly, this will help with employee retention.

Reconsider where the commission from previous sales goes once an employee has left. There were plenty of times when I managed assignments for over 6 months with out making any money off of them. Some have been managing assignments for over a year. It is ridiculous at that point.

Add some sort of incentive structure for lead recruiting - there is no incentives for recruiters now which leads to many account managers stepping into the role with out proper training

I was at this company for nearly 2 years with these consistent issues that were never really addressed. more overall transparency with your staff - people leave managers not jobs.

Feb 14, 2019 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback. We have a great team down in Austin and I'm sorry to hear that things didn't end up working out. Without a doubt, we put a big emphasis on hiring great staff... More

6. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Recruiter in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Only promote from within so you will have a chance to grow quickly with the company. It's an exciting work environment with the majority of the staff being younger.

Cons

Can be difficult at first to get started at first so must be willing to work hard.

Advice to Management

Continue to develop and keep things updated.

7. "Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Uncapped commission, Good atmosphere, Good opportunity

Cons

Long hours, early start time

8. "Dead end"

Pros

Cold calling experience was decent

Cons

You’re just another body in and out of there

Advice to Management

Focus on quality not quantity

Feb 18, 2019 – Manager, Human Resources

I am sorry that things did not end up working out for you at Barton. I would like to speak with you to get more of an understanding of what you mean by "focus on quality not quantity". Please feel... More

9. "Great People... Long Hours"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Barton Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The people you work with are awesome and make the long work hours worth it... sometimes.

Cons

Very long hours with a 95% of your day cold calling

Jan 11, 2019 – Manager, Human Resources

The job of Account Manager or Reciter/Staffing Specialist is to communicate with the marketplace and identify clients or providers who are a good philosophical match to work with Barton Associates... More

"Find another opportunity"

Current Employee - Management
    Current Employee - Management

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Potential to make a lot of money if you go along with politics of the company

Cons

AWFUL work/ life balance. 50+ hours a week for minimal pay to start. Childish work environment, lying in upper management, commission cuts, people stealing clients and doctors. The list goes on.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to people. Stop making people miserable with exhausting work hours and under paying them. Come up with a solid training program.

Feb 14, 2019 – Manager, Human Resources

Thank you for providing feedback. You labeled yourself as a current employee in management. As a manager at Barton, you have experienced the opportunity to grow your career based on the work you... More