Barton Associates Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Robert Indresano

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I sat in front of someone interviewing and they told me I could make a lot of money, if I worked hard (in 17 reviews)

• You have an opportunity to make a lot of money, (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • My only con would be the work/life balance (in 21 reviews)

• Long hours cold calling but if you get through that the money is worth it (in 40 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Senior Account Manager Perspective"

Current Employee - Group Manager, Account Management in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Group Manager, Account Management in Austin, TX

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been with Barton almost 2 1/2 years and I have truly enjoyed my time here so far. I feel as if I am apart of a big close knit Barton family. Very work hard/play hard type of atmosphere. I like that it is a group atmosphere to a certain extent but at the end of the day a very independent job. When it comes to the opportunity you have here, success is in your own hands. Does not matter about seniority, but about how hard you work. If you grind then it will pay off and you will start to make the kind of money here that you would have no chance at making anywhere else. What I made in my second year over doubled my pay in my first year and it is only going to continue to go up as long as I don't take my foot off of the gas. When it comes to management I have really enjoyed being a manager and the perks that come along with that but I like that it is perfectly fine if someone wanted to step down and just be an independent. Managers are only promoted from within, never hired from the outside to come in and boss people around. The opportunity to keep moving up is insane here. The boss that runs our whole office started about 5 yrs ago in another office ground zero as an associate account manager, she is truly inspiring with everything she does.

Cons

Things constantly change with the clients/providers that are out of your control so you have to be able to roll with the punches and keep going. If you take your foot off of the gas for too long then it could really hurt you a few months down the line. This is a paid for production type of job, though you have a very healthy base pay (that increases) you do not want to settle with that. To be able to make it through the grind of the first 6 months you have to be able to see the big picture of the opportunity at hand. If you can make it over the initial humps then things take off and snowball!

2. "Want to make great money and grow your sales career?"

Current Employee - Group Manager
    Current Employee - Group Manager

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is an excellent work environment to learn and flourish in a new sales position. I came from a totally different industry in the trades and was very uncertain this would work for me. I have learned so much about a new industry and have grown in many different area's. I am managing people and making more money than I ever thought I would and plan on making much more.

Cons

The only con was having to wait 6 months to make commission now in 2018 its immediate .

3. "Exponential Growth"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Peabody, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Peabody, MA

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The sky is the limit at Barton Associates. This is a company allows motivated individuals to grow their income and their careers. I have seen many people come in to Barton thinking it was a job for them and have it turn into a career. If you're a personal person motivated by career growth, money, and you're willing to work had to achieve those goals then Barton Associates is the company for you.

Cons

Barton isn't for everyone. The hours are 7-5 and the expectations are set that you get on the phones which some people may not be able to do.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Promote the people that strive to be the best and want to grow other peoples careers.

4. ""The harder I work, the luckier I get""

Current Employee - Sales Team Manager in West Palm Beach, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Team Manager in West Palm Beach, FL

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Grow communication skills -- your clients become your friends!
    - Competitive, young atmosphere
    - Management team to help you grow
    - Uncapped commission structure w/ competitive salary & bonus plan -- make $50k+ more each year!
    - Potential to grow with the company -- new office expansion, management promotion
    - Constant improvement on processes, software, and training

I've been with Barton almost 4 years and have really enjoyed my journey. I decided early on to take the management track, and couldn't be happier with the opportunities Barton has given me. Everyday is a new challenge and a new chance to grow. If you work hard, enjoy competition, and are open to learning something new; Barton is the company for you.

Cons

The early mornings never get easier -- 7 am is tough! Coffee is your best friend!

5. "Great Company"

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time

Pros

I have been working with Barton Associates for over 4 years. I started as an individual contributor and worked my way up into management. This company has really helped me grow myself as an individual as well as my career. They reward you for your hard work and dedication. If you are looking for a sales position and to really strive in a fast pace sales environment this is a great company. I have worked in 3 different offices and the staff is fun, energetic, and very knowledgeable and works hard to make sure each and every employee is given the tools to succeed.

Cons

If you don't have a strong work ethic this job is not a great fit.

"@ BartonAssociates"

Current Employee - Account Manager
    Current Employee - Account Manager

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Like you never left the frat house. Constant networking and connecting with others in a healthy free flowing, easy going, work environment. Pressure at an all time low. Ability to create your on schedule and work at your own pace.

Cons

Organizational changes constantly. Limited access to management. Constant rejection. Desk/Chair job (unless you enjoy sitting down for long periods of time.

Advice to Management

More retention based trainings and environment to influence staying with the company. Adopt an agenda revolving keeping the workforce happy and feel rewarded

7. "Account Manager"

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love this job!

Here are a few examples of why I like working here:
    1. Management – The managers at my office (Tempe) are incredible and they take the time to help you grow. Dan Bassani, the head of the Tempe office, knows every single employee’s name and is always willing to help people. He is so invested in us that he barely even goes into his office. He sits and works out on the floor along side us. The other individual managers are the same way.
    2. Continued training – When you first start out at Barton there is a two week training period where brand new account managers are trained on the ins and outs of the job. After the 2 weeks are over they don’t just give you a desk and leave you to fend for yourself, but rather hold morning meetings every day from about 7:15-7:40 that all account managers (no matter their tenure) attend.
    3. No Territories – Most sales companies give each employee a territory, but not Barton. You can call any state and US Territory you want as long as another Barton account manager doesn’t own that facility (or at least in the specialty you are trying to place a provider).
    4. Pay Structure – When you first start out the pay isn’t all that great. Not at all. All account managers start out at $35K (45 hour work week).
    Here’s where the pay gets better: After you bill $500K you get a $10K salary bonus. Also, when you hit $500K in sales from that point on you are given the opportunity for an $8K salary raise each year for the next 10 years. In order to get an $8K bump in your salary each year you must hit a certain sales goal within that year. The first year (the day you hit $500K in sales that one-year period starts) you must bill $1 million in sales to get the $8K salary bump. If you aren’t able to hit that $1 million mark then the salary bump gets prorated (ex: let’s say you bill $800K instead, you might end up getting a $4-6K bump instead of an $8K bump). After 10-11 years with the company if you work hard then you can have a great base salary ($125K base if you hit every single goal). As you all know this is a sales job so a lot of your income will come from how much you bill. The margins in this market are great, thus the commission is great too.

A lot of money CAN be made if you put in the work and a lot of effort, but by no means is this job easy. If you look at the numbers I provided above and decide you want to apply here only because you see dollar signs be prepared to work and go through the tedious grind I went through and am still going through. If you can’t handle cold calling all day/every day until you build a database of clients, you may want to think before applying. If you can’t handle getting turned down by facilities for most of the week and only get maybe 1-4 facilities that say yes, you shouldn’t apply. It’s a numbers game here meaning, the more calls you make in a day/week/month the more your odds of a facility saying yes to you will increase.

Cons

The only con I have currently is finding facilities to that are not owned in the specialty(s) I want to call in for. I’m able to put in a request to call the facility, however if the file is being maintained by the account manager who owns it then the answer will be no. This part of the job as well as the amount of times you hear “no” are the biggest cons. As I said before it is tedious at the beginning.

I’ve read on several posts it’s hard to have a work life balance here, but I personally don’t see it. Our hours are 7AM-5PM which is a 45 hour work week and we never work weekends (the office is locked). That’s 9 hours of work and 1 hour for lunch as opposed to 8 hours of work and 1 hour for lunch.

Advice to Management

Buy is better coffee and coffee cream

"Senior Account Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peabody, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Peabody, MA

I worked at Barton Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Amazing learning experience for right out of school
    - Managers who want you to succeed
    - You will make life long friends here
    - Hard work gets recognized
    - Lots of potential for growth

I worked at Barton for 2 years and even though there were ups and downs, I wouldn't trade my experience at Barton for anything. The training, morning meetings, and sometimes micro-management may seem like a drag at the time, but Barton has set me up to be successful in sales/account management for years to come.

The only time they are really on your back is when you are slacking off, but if you are putting the effort in and taking the time to ask questions, you will be able to breeze by without any scrutiny.

As long as you are taking advice and direction from the managers/other coworkers that are already successful at the job, you will be fine. It may take months before you land a big client, but the pay out is well worth it.

Cons

This job is not for everyone. You have to be organized, ready to hit the phones, and open to instruction from your superiors. It's very easy to get frustrated, especially since ramp up time can take up to 6-8 months, but if you are doing your job and understand what it takes you will be fine.

Advice to Management

My advice would be to be more open to feedback from your employees. Making decisions without an employee's knowledge that directly affects them is very discouraging. Just keep an open mind to other people's thoughts and ideas on the business and you will not shut yourself out from achieving more business and having more employee retention,

9. "Opportunity that will change your life"

Current Employee - Group Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Group Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best thing about working at Barton Associates is the opportunity to make advancements quickly, whether it be your income or your title. Great culture and work environment.

Cons

-Very competitive, and if you don't work hard you will struggle.

10. "Account Manager - Group Manager"

I have been working at Barton Associates full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love working for a company that commends hard work. I started at Barton a little over a year ago as an Account Manager. Shortly after 2017 I became a Group Manager in Primary Care, which opened my eyes to a whole new side of the job. I come to work and I feel as if I am surrounded by my family, I've built such amazing relationships this past year. Not only do I have great relationships throughout my office and others, but I have also made great connections across the United States with my clients.

Cons

Nothing to complain about at all - I have a hard time not getting so invested in clients/ facilities but this is apart of the job itself.