Bashas' Reviews in Phoenix, AZ | Glassdoor

Phoenix, AZ

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Eddie Basha Jr.

Pros
Cons
  • Also another problem is never having hours so in turn you get a short shift but are expected to do the same amount of work as a full time shift (in 7 reviews)

• Hours can be very unstable at "part time" status (which most employees are) (in 7 reviews)

1. "Perfect place to work in high school"

Former Employee - Clerk in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Clerk in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Bashas' part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible and easy workload

Cons

There were times when the work was difficult but nothin too bad

2. "Bakery"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Bashas' part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great customers and it's a scratch bakery. Everything is fresh good hours.. plenty of.room to learn and grow within

Cons

Not too many really could use more hours with the donut sales and the schedule could use a little tweaking to optimize shift production

Advice to Management

New equipment for sure ..they are involved with the workings in the bakery so nothing to complain about with management

3. "Run away from this company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Bashas' full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely nothing, clocking out. Getting a few dollars in my pocket. Taking a well deserved break. Meeting some decent people that's it.

Cons

Poor management, bullying. Management has no clue poor leadership skills. Get ready to work while management sits on their butt all day and does nothing.

Advice to Management

I have been in retail for over 20 years and never have seen a grocery chain this bad!! My advice is lead and train your employees don't set them up to fail. Your managers need to put in the work instead they are playing on their phones all day and watch others work, then blame their employees when work isn't done.

5. "Cashier clerk Deli"

Current Employee - Deli Clerk/Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Deli Clerk/Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Bashas' part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The deli has great employees and the best customers. I've a lot of food prep rules and policies I been able to apply at home. The hours are flexible. The pay could be better than it is. However it certainly could be worse.

Cons

This job is very part-time. Not enough hours at all. Even when there is a real need for help the manager won't even attempt to call someone in to help. There is also too much heavy lifting for women who are over forty (all but one of us). There should be a male teenager that lifts and stocks shelves, freezer, and walkin refridg 3 or 4 times a week for 2 or 3 hours a day.

Advice to Management

Be more realistic about what employees duties are, and the time it takes to complete their duties. Have cross over hours. If someone's hours are 10-3pm the relief person should come in at 2pm. That's time for clean-up and someone to assist customers.

6. "Person In Charge"

Current Employee - 4th Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - 4th Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

They are really flexible with your schedule when you are up front with them about it. If you show a good work ethic and eagerness to go above what you are asked to do then you will be able to be promoted up quite quickly.

Cons

Benefits are average and compensation for the work they ask you to do is sub-par. Discipline at the store level is lacking and when they have employees who are not meeting the standards the company sets forth they shift the burden onto the employees that do what they need to do instead of dismissing the employees that are not meeting those standards and those employees that have to do more to pick up the slap are poorly rewarded for their efforts. Also it seems that corporate management is very out of touch with how a store is run on a daily basis and puts regulations in place that, on paper seem well thought out but in practice is not very practical.

Advice to Management

Higher pay for management is a must and adding in incentives and/or bonuses to veteran cashiers and management would go a long way to showing that corporate management really does wish to reward their employees for going above and beyond to help the company thrive.

"Look elsewhere."

Current Employee - Meat Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Meat Sales Associate in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Bashas' part-time

Pros

Really the only positive things I can think of working here is that when you'll leave you will be very strong in the customer service department because of how strict they are towards that. Other than that I see no benefit.

Cons

The supervisors(ones that don't even work in the store) have no idea what they are doing. They are always trying to change everything and it never works out and just makes you wonder why they are in the position they are in. They blame things on you that are completely out of your control. Also another problem is never having hours so in turn you get a short shift but are expected to do the same amount of work as a full time shift.

Advice to Management

Supervisors need to treat the workers better because they are the ones putting in the work. Other than that I don't know what they could do to change the business because it is just that bad.

8. "It was just okay. Not something I could do longterm, but a fine job in the interim."

Former Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Cashier in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Bashas' part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The job was easy, coworkers were really fun, and most of the management were kind and understanding.

Cons

Not much room for personal growth. The job was a little dull, didn't pay very well, and was hard work being on your feet.

"AJ's (Sister-chain)-- Awful place to work"

Current Employee - Meat Department in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Meat Department in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Bashas' part-time (More than a year)

Pros

The camaraderie you develop between your fellow slaves. Thats about it.

Cons

I am a meat clerk in the "Butcher's Corner". I have been there just about a year now. I could write a book about what an awful position this is. First, the pay. $8.58 an hour with zero benefits in a dying industry where the crusty lifers that have "achieved" full time status literally do not want to teach you anything, as they feel threatened by a guy who will come in and work for peanuts at twice their pace. Second, the "lifers" in general. By this I mean the employees that have been there 15+ years because they can still reap the grandfathered benefits that used to be in place within the company, from pay ceiling to benefits. They do not like any new hires and get their rocks off by running off closers with their constant nitpicking and whining when the fact that they cannot be bothered to teach new employees anything actually bites them in the ass. Next is the expectations laid upon you. I generally work 1-9pm shifts, where I see my manager for maybe an hour before he takes off for the day and I am left with the train wreck of a department that the AM crew left for me. My manager purposely under-schedules the night crew to stack his fellow lifer's hours in the mornings. This leaves me, a guy who barely knows anything about the industry to basically run the department during the dinner rush. Food prep, case presentation and filling, major janitorial duties, customer service-- literally everything is placed on the shoulders of the part time pee-on after 2 in the afternoon. Leave late because you were swamped with zero backup all day, or forget something as petty as leaving a dirty towel under a table? Expect a write-up. The management is a joke and the scheduling borders is by all means best described as 'abusive'. They set you up to fail with ridiculously unrealistic expectations for the sake of seeing what they can get away with not having to do. STAY AWAY!

Advice to Management

Get a clue

"False hope"

Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Bashas' full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co workers are great time can by with the crap they give you to do

Cons

To much to type in 20 words.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate with your managers and stop bullying them into yes men. As a manager you have 5 to 6 managers above you all whom come in and everyone is afraid of. Half of them have no clue on how certain depts work but tell you to change everything around. If you question them your shrugged off. Certain managers are the store managers favorite and give them all of the hours while you may have to struggle with little no matter the business Trend. Health insurance is not great Walmart offers a better package. From what I have seen a lot favoritism racisim sexisim in this company. No moving up if your a female. A lot of long term employees had benefits taken away and never given back. Family is their motto but they treat you like a third distant cousin. They sell products that are fresh but are frozen and thawed and suppose to be high quit but is one of the lowest quality around just about every grocer besides Safeway has a higher quality with right prices. Bahasa is good if you must have a job. Morale is low because of how employees sea treated. Some positions only pay 13 bucks with 20 years exp but a clean up kid can make 12. That is wrong. Bahasa you need to stop acting like you care and be honest with your people instead of stringing them along. They say managers are getting raises but you have 45 hours overtime to get the raise. That is something I never heard of. Before you consider employment do your hw on them. For some doing your 8 he's and going home is good, but getting into management there is no future with them.
    Low end produce deli uses old meat to make there meals to make their numbers and even coins frozen pizzas instead of Making it fresh. It looms as if they are trying to sell the company in the near future. I give them give years into its sold or can no longer run.

11. "Home town grocery store"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Bashas' full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Family owned and employ alot of people so there are alot of job opertunities

Cons

small company that can't compete with the likes of Wal-Mart

Advice to Management

go back to school and earn a degree so you have somthing to fall back on