Bass Pro Shops "great discount" Reviews | Glassdoor

Bass Pro Shops Employee Reviews about "great discount"

Updated Oct 31, 2019

3.2
Bass Pro Shops President Michael P. McDermott
Michael P. McDermott
Pros
Cons
  • "fairly low pay, typical of retail(in 45 reviews)

• "Men in upper management use their authority to flirt with the younger women(in 42 reviews)

Reviews about "great discount"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Best Job i have had EVER!!"

Current Employee - Operations Support Specialist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops part-time for less than a year

Pros

Great discount. Decent benefits. Very friendly co workers. the owner cares about the company and its employees.

Cons

Mostly part time employees. A lot of employees come and go.

Bass Pro Shops2018-12-11

"Don't call the Sheiff on shoplifters"

Former Employee - Operations Lead in Ashland, VA

I worked at Bass Pro Shops full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great place to work, discount is great. You can meet a lot of interesting people if you choose.

Cons

New policies they have come up with since purchasing Cabela's. The one I got terminated for was the, "Do not call the sheriff's department on shoplifters, your supposed to customer service them until they leave the store, problem is there are not enough outfitters in the store to accomplish this. Management is locked away in meetings. Also you bug some crack head enough and you may get stabbed, the sheriffs dept viewed the shoplifters doing what they do, stopped them outside the store, when arrested they had drug paraphernalia (needles & bags of a white powder) and appx. $600.00 in merchandise. Occurrence 9/26/19 let go on 9/27/19. Employed for 9years 11months.

Advice to Management

Current management needs to spend more time in store and pay attention to the orders he barks out. It's hurt moral and store business. Customer numbers are way down. Quit protecting/ playing favorites with all the non-productive gossip spreaders. (Previous management included on the non-productive) This store was a great place to work at one time, about 2-3 years ago. It has become just another box in the retail market.

Bass Pro Shops2019-10-31

"Don't bother working here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Bass Pro Shops part-time for less than a year

Pros

The only positive thing I can say is their employee discount is great, 45% off.

Cons

Communcation is poor, needs to improve on training new employees and lacks management skills. A lot of theft from the employees. A lot of pressure to get the customers to apply for their credit card.

Advice to Management

Advise your management team to work on treating employees will respect.

Bass Pro Shops2019-10-28
  4. "Fun Environment"

Former Employee - Hunting/Fishing Associate in Auburn Hills, MI

I worked at Bass Pro Shops part-time for less than a year

Pros

You get to see new different fishing lures, as well as a great discount. It's also fun to meet new people that are as serious about fishing as you are.

Cons

It does get annoying helping people who have no idea at all about fishing over and over again.

Advice to Management

Give more discounts to fisherman on products other than bass pro shops brand.

Bass Pro Shops2019-06-12

"Typical Retail Experience"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great discounts and usually good customers. Peer to peer relationships were good.

Cons

Extremely overworked. Very little staffing which led to customer complaints. Senior Management having relationships with staff, very inappropriate conversations with subordinates. Work life balance was very tough

Advice to Management

Look at the store leaders for more than face value and see how well everyone likes them.

Bass Pro Shops2019-03-14
  6. "Great Company with lots of perks"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Springfield, MO

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Great people. Great discount perks as an employee. Get to see and do many different things due to the small workforce. Work with products and vendors that are the best in the industry.

Cons

Limited opportunity for advancement at corporate level. Lack of incentive for high performing associates at corporate level.

Advice to Management

Provide clear strategic direction. Communicate at a higher level across the entire company. Challenge your associates and offer praise and reward when earned.

Bass Pro Shops2019-01-31

"Don't Stay Too Long...."

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There is an infinite source of information in the hobby of your choice. The discount is great for in-house brands Decent benefits for part timers Works with school schedule

Cons

Constant pressure to push the credit card. Can't go full time and go to school. I've worked there long enough to see standards drop in new hire's Management lacks accountability in mistakes made

Advice to Management

We realize the profits to be made on the credit card is huge but telling employees that that is above even customer service is not what we were told we were hired for. The Company has lost many great employees because of the simple fact that they can not go to school and work there full time. When I was hired we had the absolute most knowledgable staff in town, but as time went on our standards dropped. Hiring people who don't even do the hobby for the department they are highroad for does not make for a pleasant shopping experience. Everyone makes mistakes, but there is a culture in the store from top down of blame shifting.

Bass Pro Shops2018-11-15
  8. "Customer service associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Bass Pro Shops part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible schedule and fun place to work. Great discount on BPS branded merchandise.

Cons

Horrible management and even if you work hard and do your boss’ job you won’t get promoted

Advice to Management

Recruit from within if there are good candidates who want the job.

Bass Pro Shops2018-11-08
  9. "Fishing"

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops

Pros

Great discounts and incentives on the job.

Cons

They have a very cheap management style.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and spend store money on associates not yourselves.

Bass Pro Shops2018-08-18
  10. "Fun environment to work in"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Bass Pro Shops part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great discount that works at Bass Pro and Cabela's, good benefits, flexible with schedules.

Cons

Have to work some holidays, nights and weekends. They push credit cards pretty hard.

Advice to Management

Train more on the actual products

Bass Pro Shops2018-04-10