Bastian Solutions 27 Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bill Bastian II

1. "Great People. Growing Company. Challenging Work."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Bastian Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Bastian Solutions is in an exciting and growing industry. I enjoy all the people that I work with day to day. Each project is different and presents unique challenges. It is a great place if you want to continue to learn and grow in your career. Good incentive/bonus plans for most employees.

Cons

Some positions require travel and on-call hours. They are up front about this in the interview process.

2. "Good company overall"

Former Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Bakersfield, CA
    Former Employee - Field Sales Engineer in Bakersfield, CA

I worked at Bastian Solutions (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great owner. Good organizational work ethic.

Cons

Turnover high. Regional Directors need more direction - many are too inexperienced to understand how to sell. Time management not great across the board.

Advice to Management

Hire business development people and better engineers to support. Not all engineers are good at sales, so team approach might be better to grow company faster.

"Anonymous"

I have been working at Bastian Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-People they hire go through extensive interview process and they only hire the best with regards to personality and work ethic. There is no laziness tolerated its full throttle everyday.
    -Large amounts of work since company is growing drastically and keeps days steady and no down time
    -Friendly coworkers
    -Company works extensively to provide custom software that no other company can provide.

Cons

-Poor Project Timelines, projects never meet go live date and tend to overrun by months due to poor miscommunication and planning of resources
    -Poor listening skills on what tasks need to be scheduled for upcoming weeks via project managers or internal members of projects
    -Everything is considered high priority from every group there is no sense of what is highest priority for you to work on
    -Company takes on new projects to an extent where they do not finish old/current projects and forget about them until the customer threatens to drop the company
    -Your position title is meaningless, if there is a lack of resources onsite or in-house you will be assigned to do it even if you are not qualified.
    -Customers have to much power with regards to calling the CEO and President of Software on there cellphones to escalate some of the smallest issues
    -There is no work/life balance, you are frowned upon for barely showing up late but if you work 15 hour days no one says thank you or even acknowledges. If you leave when your time is up for the day everyone treats you as you don't work hard enough.
    -Training is lacking for new employees and new employees are thrown in headfirst to defend for themselves and receive poor feedback from customers

Advice to Management

-Listen to project managers and other business units on what time allocation they need for projects
    -Follow up on projects from beginning to end so timelines are not ignored and resources are removed from other projects for last minute go lives
    -Promote better work/life balance for employees or you will have people get burned out and leave
    -Better rewards are needed for long hours and on time completion, you are more likely to get acknowledged for failing than succeeding
    -Groups needs better communication on all levels, there is to much word of mouth and no transfer between emails or saved documentation
    -Software needs to be documented extensively, than rushed templates to get projects out the door and barely running for the customer.
    -Internal managers need to stand up for their employees instead of letting customer drive who works on the project based on miscommunication decisions
    -Introduce better training methods that allow fast/important training for new employees instead of letting them defend for themselves.

"Engineer"

I have been working at Bastian Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Engineers like to be challenged. As I am an engineer Bastian Solutions challenges me which is what I really like. My engineering friends from College complain about not using their engineering skills ----- not at Bastian!

Cons

It can be overwhelming as they give you a lot of responsibility and you make some big decisions.

6. "Vaired Experience, Stiff Penalties"

Current Employee - Applications Engineer
    Current Employee - Applications Engineer

I have been working at Bastian Solutions full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Varied Work, decent incentives with flexible schedules available

Cons

Tons of responsibility with little authority. treats you like a business owner in terms of penalties but doesn't do the same with rewards.

Advice to Management

Develop a coherent strategy for moving forward as Bastian grows or growth will be the downfall of the company.

7. "Implementation specialist"

I worked at Bastian Solutions full-time

Pros

Good if you like travel. Good teamwork.

Cons

Expect you to learn quickly. Can be high stress with long work hours.

"Could use updates to corporate structure"

Former Employee - Developer
    Former Employee - Developer

I worked at Bastian Solutions full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The group of people who become your team will be the ones to rely on when you feel depressed.

Cons

The company has a pre 1995 corporate feel. As long as you always look like your working hard to your boss, you could get pretty far. You work time is not flexible. They get on to you when your 10 minutes late, but could care less if you work an hour over.
    If you make it look easy, you didn't try hard enough.

"Great Learning Experiance"

Former Employee - Intern Technician in Carbondale, IL
    Former Employee - Intern Technician in Carbondale, IL

I worked at Bastian Solutions (Less than a year)

Pros

My time at Bastian Solutions was an eye opening experience. Thanks to the time I spent there and the people I worked with, I decided to continue my education and work towards my bachelors degree.

I can say that my time with Bastian Solutions changed my life for the better.

Cons

At first I thought that I was thrown to the deep end without any help, but once I was able to speak to the engineers in charge of the project, I was able to wrap my mind around the task assigned and knew how to tackle it.

"Project Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in McCordsville, IN
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in McCordsville, IN

I worked at Bastian Solutions (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible work schedule
    Good profit sharing incentives

Cons

Tons of travel, away from family a great deal

Advice to Management

CEO should step aside and let management do their job

"Line worker"

I worked at Bastian Solutions part-time

Pros

Lunches, the people, the multi-tasking and how much hard work it was

Cons

Less pay, was feeling at sometimes not a valid employee, lack of work

Advice to Management

More work if you want people to do more