Bates White Economic Consulting Reviews

Updated Mar 24, 2020

3.9
Bates White Economic Consulting Chairman & Founder Charles E. Bates, PhD (no image)
Charles E. Bates, PhD
Pros
  • "Due in part to very careful recruiting, almost no junior staff are fired(in 5 reviews)

• "Smart people, interesting work, great mentoring support(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "Some practice areas have a strong split between PhDs and non-PhDs(in 7 reviews)

• "The firm employees a relatively large number of strong economists(in 4 reviews)

1. "Collaborative environment and rigorous work"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bates White Economic Consulting full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Extremely talented pool of employees; cooperative and supportive culture; Leadership prioritizes long run success of the firm (not short term profitability)

Cons

Working in litigation can be very unpredictable and stressful

2. "Great all around"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Bates White Economic Consulting full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You can't beat the culture

Cons

Just like any consulting job, sometimes hours can vary.

3. "Love it"

Current Employee - Consultant

I have been working at Bates White Economic Consulting full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's good - exciting projects, smart colleagues

Cons

Hours can fluctuate depending on your staffing

"Great culture, interesting work, poor work-life balance"

2.0
    Current Employee - Consultant II in Washington, DC

I have been working at Bates White Economic Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Bates White has a very collaborative, friendly, and horizontal culture. Despite being a junior employee, I consider principals and partners at the firm to be my friends. Bates White does a good job with facilitating this type of culture. Much of the work is interesting, and friendly people make being at work fun. Everyone gets their own office, which is really nice, but splits time between working in the office and working in a "war room," for team collaboration when things get busy.

Cons

You have no control over your work-life balance, and it is very difficult to hold boundaries around evenings and weekends, whether you have plans or just want time to relax and do your chores/grocery shopping. Bates White claims to respect people's outside-of-work commitments (and some managers are okay at it), but the reality is that it will be very difficult to make and keep plans much of the time. Much of this is just the nature of the consulting industry, so it likely won't ever change. While Bates White does a good job of encouraging employees to use their vacation time, work pretty much always creeps into vacations. Certain practice areas/managers are better than others, but don't expect to be able to predict what your work hours will look like week-to-week and month-to-month at Bates White.

5. "Great experience"

I worked at Bates White Economic Consulting full-time

Pros

-Friendly and collegiate environment -Interesting work

Cons

-Some fluctuations in weekly hours

6. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Economist in Washington, DC

I worked at Bates White Economic Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

Interesting projects and smart colleagues.

Cons

High variance in hours.

7. "Smart people, engaging work"

4.0

Pros

Work with very smart and genuine individuals

Cons

Work can be tedious . Difficult to progress to higher levels

"A mixed bag"

4.0
    Former Employee - Consultant II in Washington, DC

I worked at Bates White Economic Consulting full-time for more than a year

Pros

-Management is very transparent -Management strives to make the company both a productive business and a friendly welcoming community -Consultant classes are typically very close -All things considered, pay is relatively good. Overtime pay is offered that ensures that if you do work a large number of hours, you will be compensated for it. As of Summer 2018, an entry level consultant who averages 60 hours per week for a year would earn around 95k including bonuses. -Management is incredibly lenient in very reasonable ways. For example, if there's no work to be done, you don't have to stay for an entire 8 hour day. You could likely come in late and leave early. -In some practice hours, very interesting/high-profile cases come up (think the biggest mergers / economic litigation in the news) -It is a flat, relatively small organization. As a result, more senior staff aren't just management; they are also mentors, friends, and members of your community. -In general, the people. I feel fortunate to have spent as much time I did with this community. -Due in part to very careful recruiting, almost no junior staff are fired. I was a very average, albeit hardworking performer and never feared losing my job. -The firm employs some premier experts in an industry that's protected by established legal norms. It has a relatively differentiated position that lets the firm be extremely profitable. -In the past, BW has been very focused on trying to develop each employee. They want to help you achieve your goals and grow. Unfortunately, I think the thinking behind this is out of date (see below). -The head people in the firm are all brilliant economists. Over the firm's 20 year history, this has translated to successful management, and I always had confidence in the people at the wheel, even if I didn't think they were doing a perfect job.

Cons

-There's a hard ceiling on the level of interesting work that consultants can do. The firm employees a relatively large number of strong economists. It only makes sense that when more interesting work arises, the economists get to do it. If you are given something more interesting, there's a decent chance it will be taken away and given to an economist. -The firm is somewhat backwards. They use out of date tech and processes in the name of consistency. This has additional costs for junior staff who sink enormous amounts of time early in their career in learning processes that are unlikely to help them in the future. This can feel like a tax that counterbalances the relatively good pay. You're stuck in a situation where you are unlikely to make management, and you are not learning optimal skills for making a lateral transition - so although you make good money in the present, your next step can be tough. The very important exception is if you have a strong academic record and intend to return to school. BW is a fantastic launchpad for law school, PhD programs in economics, and MBA programs to a somewhat lesser extent. -Litigation work has to be perfect. Unfortunately, this can influence the firm to ignore innovation due to the inherent uncertainty in changing norms. -In some practice areas, cases come up they may challenge your morals. -Although pay is relatively good, given the rates consultants are billed out at, it can seem bizarre/unfair that pay/raises are not higher. -Many reviewers have mentioned hours as a pro or a con. It very very much depends on the practice area and the current business cycle. I had periods of time when I was expected to spend 100% of my waking hours on work for a month or more at a time. I had periods when I was expected to complete ~50-60 hours per week. And I had periods when I only did 30 hours per week. It ran the gambit. The unfortunate truth in this is that this can destroy other parts of your life. You might have a two month period when you have next to no time for a family, significant other, friends, etc. While the average hours might be fine, the inconsistency of it all carries a heavy price. This can be very frustrating because overtime is based on a yearly average, so it can feel like you give your entire life to work for a period of time and do not receive anything extra for it.

Continue reading

"They strive to be the best, but mainly on paper..."

1.0
    Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

- Free coffee, tea and yogurt - New building - I'm staying just for the pay, which is decent, and the tick on my resume

Cons

- They care more about clients than they do employees, which is understandable in certain ways, but they don't treat employees as talent or partners in the firm. And it goes without saying - without us, how would they manage to have these projects? - Every other week a "best of" survey to complete about how good BW is, and how it's so great to be here. (supposedly anonymous and you can't bill for this time, so you have to work extra time to compensate for filling these out actually) - Unlike other firms that I've worked at - they don't offer transportation benefits (only pre-tax, which honestly isn't too much a benefit - see below) - Pay your own costly parking in downtown DC - Lack of work/life balance, which means it really dilutes the actual salary rate (60 hours a week is normal) - Poor Senior Management communication including blaming lower level employees for miscommunication, missed deadlines and really anything that happens. And this is to clients, principals and partners. Not much of a responsibility taking group amongst Senior Management/Principals. - Lack of training - their training is giving a book with how to do things and expecting you to get it right. - Insane and robotic work expectations - nothing wrong with hard work, but it's hardly appreciated and never rewarded.

Continue reading

"Incredible people, okay work, low pay (at the junior level)"

Current Employee - Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

You will find some of the most intelligent and thoughtful people you would still want to grab a beer with every Friday at BW. Depending on the practice, you may find yourself in super high profile cases seen on the news. Fairly good and consistent exit opps to top 5 b-schools, top 10 law schools, and PhD programs. Great new office. Intelligent PhD management.

Cons

The pay is on the lower end of the scale and isn't compensated enough for merit or the effort to strive for outstanding work. While there is an annual performance bonus, it is pennies to those of competitors. The recent pay raise announcement has to have been a joke because it amounted to $500, which is a 0.6% increase.

Found 50 reviews