KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Bates White Economic Consulting Reviews

Updated Oct 17, 2021

Found 71 of over 81 reviews

4.1
Bates White Economic Consulting Chairman & Founder Charles E. Bates, PhD (no image)
Charles E. Bates, PhD
Pros
  • "Great company culture and very smart people(in 6 reviews)

• "Junior staff are exceptional thanks to fastidious recruiting(in 5 reviews)

• Cons
  • "In some practice areas, cases come up they may challenge your morals(in 7 reviews)

• "Work life balance here is better than other consulting firms but it is still hard to manage(in 4 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

The latest conversations about Consulting

Join the conversation on

Consulting

1y

works at

Deloitte

Harshest feedback you’ve ever received?

7,059

605 Comments

Join the conversation on
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee

Great place to work

Oct 13, 2021 - Economic Consultant in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Firm culture, work life balance

Cons

Can be busy at times

2. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great first job, sets you up well—but you need to enforce boundaries

Aug 9, 2021 - Consultant II in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Great people to work with. I was crazy about just about everyone I worked with—they were smart, funny, and eccentric. Late nights at the office were way more fun because of how great the people were. I made some lifelong friends at BW. - Awesome training. I learned to code, learned data analysis, and was held to a really high standard of rigor that served me well later in my career. It's pretty hard to get fired as a consultant unless you're really not trying, and the two years I spent at BW set me up for a job absolutely anywhere else. (All you have to do to see this is look at where people end up—top grad schools, great tech companies, etc.) - Incredible mentorship. I was so supported by my sponsor, and he's still someone I consider a friend and mentor.

Cons

- Long hours. The firm makes more money the more you bill, and that's obvious. There wasn't a whole lot of respect for people's lives—I remember my bosses telling us to "choose one thing outside of work" that we'd be able to do. Late nights and weekends were totally standard. It has a real negative impact on your health and your relationships. - Academics aren't good managers on the whole. While the middle managers were awesome, the partners didn't always have a lot of respect for the more junior employees' time. Sometimes they wouldn't look at the report until a week before it was due, leaving us scrambling to implement their feedback. - Compensation was only okay (although the health insurance was superb).

3. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Some perks, but wouldn't recommend

Aug 24, 2021 - Consultant II in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

- Smart people at all levels - Good mentorship from Senior Consultants and Sponsors - Opportunities to meet and connect with employees across the firm - Health insurance is great (but reports that they will be changing the plan next year) - Good philanthropic opportunities if you want that to be something you get from your employer

Cons

- Salary is average and roles with similar skillsets pay significantly higher. As employees have left for other roles, current employees have to pick up the slack which results in longer hours. - Bonuses are not paid out until March and June of the following year - Long hours that can change drastically day over day and week over week - Culture encourages long hours with little support beyond an expensed meal - Poor management. Upper management does not have the technical skillset to train junior employees. They rely on middle management for this but don't pay them accordingly. Additionally, not all cases will have middle management adequately staffed for proper training. - Management will listen to consultant issues but infrequently acts on issues or takes a long time to make changes - Wishy-washy on what hybrid work from home policy will look like post-pandemic. Current plan is only one day a week from home and could be less for newer consultants.

4. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great firm culture and best colleagues

Sep 17, 2021 - Senior Economist in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

The firm culture is on the progressive side. Everyone here cares about society and wants to help disadvantaged groups. The firm is open to people's suggestions. Great diversity. You get to work with the smartest and most dedicated colleagues. They sincerely care about and help each other. Great healthcare insurance, decent 401K harbor (not matching).

Cons

The promotion is getting harder and harder. It's expected as the firm is getting more established. Different practices may have different opportunities. Some might have better mobility, and some might have better career development opportunities. However, it's hard to get both.

5. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good place to start career, but be aware of what you’re in for

Oct 6, 2021 - Consultant II
      Business Outlook

Pros

- the people are awesome. Just about everyone is pleasant to work with and most people have become friends with at least some coworkers beyond the work setting. - despite some down sides (see below), it’s a good place to start a career. Exposure to a lot of industries and skills (both qualitative and quantitative), as well as excellent exit opportunities. - cases are usually interesting, even if the specific consultant role on them is tedious. - most of the people around you are brilliant. very academic culture that is a nice transition from college to reality. - pay is good, though some competitors may pay more. - health care plan is incredible - having a cohort of consultants is really nice for making friends at work. Even if not directly working with other consultants, lots of opportunities to interact with young people at work if that’s something important to you

Cons

-The litigation environment is adversarial by nature, and the side you may want to be on is not often the side that pays. Be aware that we work on controversial cases. Management insists that we do no harm in this work, but believing this requires a level of faith in the justice system that most people don’t have. Hard to believe we’re a neutral party when one of them is paying us millions to support their argument. -management listens to complaints but rarely seems to take them to heart. when dozens of people are upset about the same issues, these are real issues whether you agree with them or not. - sometimes lack real guidance, then can get blamed for making mistakes on things above your pay grade/ job description. It’s good to have opportunities to fill bigger shoes, but if these opportunities come without any guidance and all the responsibility they can be more of a curse than opportunity. - you can make more for same skills elsewhere -hours can be really cyclical. forget about anything even mildly resembling 9-5 and be prepared for unexpected late nights and weekend work. It’s not the total volume of hours (most people only average ~50), but the fact that they’re so unpredictable and many managers choose not to share the little bit of notice that they have.

6. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great colleagues and training opportunities

Sep 20, 2021 - Consultant II in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Learn to code, work with academic and industry experts

Cons

Cyclical hours - sometimes low, sometimes high

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Excellent starting job with a strong corporate culture

Oct 17, 2021 - Consultant in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great coworkers and mid level managers. Interesting work with developmental opportunities.

Cons

Salary may be slightly lower than competitors.

8. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

good first job

Oct 6, 2021 - Consultant
      Business Outlook

Pros

good training and professional development skills

Cons

hypocritical in culture by emphasizing the importance of engaging in the workplace and transparency, then having a workaholic culture and not listening to or taking seriously consultant feedback

9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great place to work during covid

Nov 9, 2020 - Consultant II in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

Really great place to start a career, especially if you're interested in doing data-driven work in economics, policy, and law. There's an established career path and plenty of room for advancement for consultants, especially relative to competitors, and there's lots of emphasis on professional development. Great firm culture as well, which is helped by the company being relatively small and everyone working out of the DC office (in normal times). People are generally friendly, sharp, and thoughtful. The environment is very collaborative and I haven't noticed a ton of competition for raises or promotions, at least not at the junior consultant level. There are also lots of firm-wide events, many with a focus on charitable giving. We're lucky to be in an industry that's very compatible with remote work, but the firm has responded quite well to the pandemic on top of that. Management has been proactive about communicating with us, gathering feedback about how we're doing, giving us the tools to be effective working from home, and being amenable to everyone's situations. And thankfully, the firm has been doing decently well and there haven't been any layoffs, salary cuts, or hiring/promotion freezes.

Cons

Hours can be very variable and unpredictably so, though I would say it's slightly better than other economic consulting firms. Still, long nights and weekend work are not unusual, especially close to major deadlines. Peoples' experience can vary a lot based on their assigned practice. Case staffing is all done at the practice level, so it is difficult to request work outside of your practice and difficult to switch practices.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee

Good job, could be paid more

Sep 18, 2021 - Consultant I in Washington, DC
      Business Outlook

Pros

We do challenging and interesting work. People are awesome.

Cons

The salary is good, but for the amount of work that we do and the challenge of it, it definitely should be more.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 71 Reviews