Bath & Body Works "call in shifts" Reviews | Glassdoor

Bath & Body Works Employee Reviews about "call in shifts"

Updated Nov 10, 2019

3.6
Bath & Body Works CEO Nick Coe
Nick Coe
1,259 Ratings
Pros
  • "Free gratis items when new products come out(in 316 reviews)

• "Company gives you free products to try(in 229 reviews)

Cons

Reviews about "call in shifts"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great"

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I have been working at Bath & Body Works part-time for less than a year

Pros

Flexible hours, I went to school

Cons

Busy holiday season and a lot of call ins

Bath & Body Works2019-11-10
  2. "Good work environment"

Current Employee - Associate

I have been working at Bath & Body Works part-time for more than a year

Pros

Gratis, free items whenever new items come out. Very positive work experience, great management and they really teach you how to do everything you need to know. Pretty good music playlists. Employee discount can be used at VS and Pink too. Smells great! If you work here long enough, you can become a manager pretty easily. (multiple years) Lots of hours during summer and winter for the semiannual sales and... Christmas season, so good for student employees in particular. Flexible with giving days off and any time off needed, I took off 2 months at a time once and get any days off I ask off. I think this is a great job and it is not boring, there is always something to do. If you are not a manager, this can only be a part time job and honestly this should be either your second job or maybe your only job if you are in school.

Cons

Call in shifts where you are scheduled for *blank* hours but half of your shift is "call in" where they tell you during your shift if you stay later or not. Being called in in days off hours in advance. Short shifts of 3-5 hours. Not many hours, and not consistent week to week. 30% employee discount only on full price items, not any sales or deals. Closing shift doesn't get out at specific time, you leave when... everything is done.

Advice to Management

Stop with the call in shifts and calling people in on days off. Hours are iffy here and that is my only main concern. I am currently in college and looking for another part time job to supplement this one. I am not going to leave B&BW thought because I love this job!

Bath & Body Works2019-08-24

"Long closing hours, heavy lifting and gratis"

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Bath & Body Works part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

You are in a fun and upbeat environment. You get free company goodies (gratis) every new season line they launched. Good first job to get your feet wet in sales and to become comfortable talking with people.

Cons

Depending on the management of your store, you may stay 2-3 hours after the store closed stocking and cleaning, and expected to stay later than your written schedule. There’s too much heavy lifting (like imagine how heavy your bag feels when you’re carrying 8 shower gels... yeah, well multiply that by about 5 or 6 and that’s how heavy product boxes were). Call-ins are a long running joke at B&BW. It’s where you... are scheduled a “maybe we’ll need you or maybe we won’t” shift. You will have to keep your personal schedule open that whole day not guaranteed to work and call in 1-2hrs before that shift to see if they need you. It’s highly inconvenient and hopefully they’ve stopped that process since I’ve worked there. No growth past store manager. They don’t hire upper management like district managers and beyond from inside.

Advice to Management

Stop opening the stores on holidays!! I’ve worked on Thanksgiving and a few hours of sleep later on Black Friday just so I could cut a deal with my manager to get Christmas Eve off. It not only is a total bummer to be open and scheduled for days like that but we didn’t even receive good sales on those days. Hmmm I wonder if that’s because everyone else in the world is home celebrating those holidays that you are... trying to monetize from.... I’ll never forget that holiday season. Smh

Bath & Body Works2019-08-10
  4. "Best Job I've had so far"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Bath & Body Works part-time for more than a year

Pros

Its easy to learn and the people that stay are super nice. The management is always there to help you do your job the best it is.

Cons

Difficult to get promotions. People leave randomly a lot because of call ins,

Bath & Body Works2019-07-02

"I was only seasonal"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Frederick, MD

I worked at Bath & Body Works part-time for more than a year

Pros

the fun atmosphere it often goes by quickly because of rushes the coworkers have a family feel

Cons

they demand you work all the time, often use call-ins very taxing, and hard on your body often underappreciate people

Advice to Management

ask people how they are feeling, get more good workers so you don't overwork the good ones.

Bath & Body Works2019-07-06

"Not exciting"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Bath & Body Works part-time for less than a year

Pros

- Flexible scheduling - Short shifts - Easy work

Cons

- Call in shifts are frustrating - Poor hours - Management and “top-sellers” act entitled and try and get away with doing the least amount of work - Customers are so obnoxious and frustrating

Advice to Management

If your employees are not guaranteed half their “scheduled” hours don’t be surprised when there is call outs.

Bath & Body Works2019-06-22

"Welcome to hades."

Former Employee - Top Seller in Dayton, OH

I worked at Bath & Body Works part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Gratis: They do give employees free stuff regularly (usually once a month or so). If you're a top seller or management you get more items than associates. Products: The stuff is easy to sell because there are so many scents to choose from and there's something for everyone. Pay: Pay is above average for retail BUT you will only get 20+ hours a week consistently if you're a top seller with good numbers or... management. Associates generally don't get too many hours unless it's a busy time like a semi annual sale or the holidays so if you get hired as an associate, don't count on this job to pay your bills!!!

Cons

No work/life balance: I've worked for the company twice for a total of almost 4 years. No matter what they tell you THERE IS NO WORK/LIFE BALANCE! Unless you're a manager you will have call ins-which means they will tack and extra hour or two onto your shift and they're only required to give you 1 hours notice if they need you to stay. This is a no win situation: if you stay, you may now have to make arrangements to... accommodate you having to leave later. If you don't stay they will view you as less reliable and punish you by either writing you up or cutting your hours. (I've seen this happen a million times and it's also happened to me). They do not care if you have kids, a relationship, a second job, one car for your whole household, ride the bus, or anything else that would cause them to need to be flexible with you. They will also not let you leave if you are a closer until the manager is ready to leave...so if you're scheduled out at 930 and the manager says there's more to do, guess what? Yep. You're staying...doesn't matter if you had something to do after work. Or you can leave and get a write up for insubordination or have your hours cut, or both. Nice, right? Management: Every great once in awhile you'll get a good and fair manager and if you do, cherish it! Most of the management is either lazy or dramatic, rude, and disrespectful. I've worked for half a dozen different stores in different areas and different states. Managers will treat anyone below them any way they want to, come in late, fight with each other, gossip, have screaming matches and give special treatment to whoever kisses up to them the most. Physically demanding: This job is not for people who can't stand on their feet for several hours at a time and lift boxes because you will do both! It's great exercise but it is demanding work. The hours and pace can get grueling really quickly. Oh...and if you go slow they "coach" you about your pace and energy. Retail face: not all customers are horrible but a lot of the ones that shop bath & body are. They will get rude and nasty for no reason....and what do you do? Smile and nod because the company wants to to "retail-tain" people. Someone calls you a name? Suck it up. Kid pukes on the floor? Oh well, you're cleaning it. Customer cusses you out because they can't read the coupon policy or the terms for a promotion? "That's retail"

Advice to Management

Management? Grow up. You're not special. Learn how to talk to people with respect. The company? Get rid of call ins and acknowledge that your workers have lives that don't revolve around you. Stop hiring and/or promoting people that can't manage a hot dog stand. Give top sellers benefits since they're the money makers in the stores.

Bath & Body Works2019-05-19
  8. "Tiring"

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Bath & Body Works part-time for less than a year

Pros

Nice coworkers Pretty good pay Breaks

Cons

Had to stay until 2am Always had call ins right after shift ended Really hectic

Bath & Body Works2019-04-13
  9. "Excellent"

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Papillion, NE

I have been working at Bath & Body Works part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The people you work with are really fun and great!

Cons

Call-in shifts do not always make sense and can be frustrating.

Bath & Body Works2018-12-29
  10. "Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Student in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Bath & Body Works part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Free Products Ability to put in availability Discounted merchandise at all Limited Brands stores

Cons

Call ins (2 hours before shifts) Working during the holidays

Bath & Body Works2018-12-04