Baton Rouge General Reviews | Glassdoor

1. Featured Review

"RN"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Baton Rouge General full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working at the BRG since 1999 has been the best experience! We have a great patient care team consisting of RNs, PCAs, POTs, & Unit Clerks that truly care about providing excellent patient care.
    We are blessed with a CNO that not only cares about the safety and well-being of all the patients, but she truly cares about the patient care team that is in charge of the safety and well-being of all the patients. Our CNO consistently rounds on patient care units. She takes the time to speak to staff & gets to know them by name. Night rounding included. She is a great listener and takes all suggestions seriously. BRG is and will always be my extended family.

Cons

All places have cons. What comes to mind for me, no parking garage at BB location. I was spoiled at MC for a very long time! Hopefully, the future will bring a parking garage.

Baton Rouge General Response

Jun 15, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for your dedicated service to BRG and our patients. We appreciate the kind words you have shared regarding your experience with Leadership. We are open to your suggestion on the parking ... More

2. "The culture of this hospital was totally backwards. No respect from newer nurses. Very negative environment"

Former Employee - RN BSN in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - RN BSN in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Baton Rouge General full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good health insurance, nice coffee shop inside

Cons

Negative environment, poor management, culture of patient pleasing. Even to the point of being ridiculous. This hospital does not treat their nurses well at all.
    Worst paying hospital in baton rouge

Advice to Management

Actually be present on the unit you manage. To correct the appalling behavior of employees

3. "Not A Happy Work Environment"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Baton Rouge General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The care provided at this hospital was always very good and I feel like the patients were in safe hands.

Cons

I was told I would work five eight hour shifts a week and in reality, they turned into 12 hour shifts. I was also constantly on call. I was exhausted at this job and had little support from my superiors. My unit was disorganized and as a whole, the company did not care about its employees.

"Not what it used to be"

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Baton Rouge, LA

Pros

it's a job, good lunches

Cons

low pay, duplicate charting requirements, antiquated computer charting system, unsupportive management, substandard benefits at premium cost, always felt my license at risk working at this place

Advice to Management

What can you say to a management that is more concerned with business over healthcare

6. "h i m specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Baton Rouge General full-time

Pros

I feel the best reason to work for brg is because they are good people to work for .

Cons

If something is going wrong at brg , you will be the last to know .

Advice to Management

It is very hard to advance .

"Look at the Bigger Picture"

Pros

Overall the company provides a typical fun and fast-paced atmosphere.

Cons

Management is so out of touch all throughout the hospital. The Lab itself is a nightmare.

"BRG Imploding!"

I have been working at Baton Rouge General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very good, competent and friendly co-workers

Cons

Management has no vision and is not managing, only reacting.

9. "Never ignore red flags"

Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Baton Rouge, LA
    Former Employee - Volunteer Coordinator in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Baton Rouge General full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Meeting new people with big hearts that visited the hospital.
    Employee health benefits free gym
    Cafe
    Mid city location family feel

Cons

I was brought into a department where both of my manager subordinates resigned in the same month red flag I ignored.

Upon accepting my offer I was told that a second person would be joining my area at the same time as me. Managed 400 plus people high turn over. On my first day of work I was told that there was a hiring freeze and that I now would be handling the work load of two employees but this would be temporary. At this point I had signed my agreement and had no choice in the situation but to wait it out.I later found out that the employee that was supposed to start with me was the employee hired in my 9th month and that she had been informed by my manager that she would not be hired prior to my initial start date. My manager and hr with held this information from me it was a very shady situation.

During this time I had little to no training on how to do my job. I was overwhelmed by the amount of work I was expected to do. I also was told that 20 percent of my time would be spent assisting in a critical area of the hospital. Another lie, I spent over 50 percent of my first 6 months covering this area (4am-5pm) my normal working hours were suppose to be 8:30 am-5:00 pm I rarely worked that schedule. I worked this position made for two employees for 9 months. I was ranked highly effective and received a yearly bonus. During my 9 month my manager was cleared to hire another team member and my manager received a promotion.
    at this time my managers attitude completely changed. My manager became rude and very condescending attempted to use threatening tones and body language to intimidate me regularly. No less than one month of being ranked highly effective my manger called a meeting with me and told me my next quarter would be less effective. My manager then began sending unnecessary text messages and calls to my personal line during non working hours. One time my manager called my phone at 3 in the morning to ask me to report to work shortly there after. I obliged and reported to work. At this point I asked my manager to stop contacting me on my personal phone via text and calls as I felt violated. My manager then became very unprofessional and began to pick at my every move. I was gifted a half day by my managers superior and emailed my manager the day I planned to use this half day. My manager then pretended she never got my email and called my personal line and yelled at me as though I was a child. (I was told "I can't watch everything you wear and do in a very nasty tone.) The following day I reported this phone conversation to my managers superior. My manager's superior then scheduled a meeting with my manager and I, where she asked me to sign the less effective paper work that she had been planning to give me at the very beginning of the quarter. Nothing was ever done to my manager for her unprofessional behavior in fact she was allowed to put me on a disciplinary plan. Upon completion of this plan I was again ranked highly effective and it was work as usual. No less than a month later my manager went on a hunt to find people who would report that i was an ineffective worker. I was then sat down with HR professional and my manager to discuss a 30 day plan of action. This is the day I resigned. There was nothing that I could have done to prevent being fired as the odds were stacked against me from the very beginning. I regret not walking away when I found out the terms of my agreement to take this job had changed.

Advice to Management

Conduct 360 degree review on managers and staff allow staff to tell management anonymously what they could improve on along with being able to give management their thoughts on their peers performance.

Baton Rouge General Response

Dec 1, 2016 – HR Generalist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review. BRGMC is consistently striving to improve our employee experiences. Please feel free to call Human Resources directly at 237-1573 for further ... More

"Meh, it's a job"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Baton Rouge General full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At times good camaraderie and teamwork within the unit

Cons

Very poor base pay for nursing, middle of the road benefits, very little reason to stay with this company, nursing is often chronically understaffed, mid and upper management has very poor vision and foresight when making crucial decisions

Advice to Management

This hospital is good but not great. You'll notice there aren't many reviews from employees here, which kind-of sums up the type of people that work there. Decent folks who come to work to get their job done, and that's it. There aren't a lot of overachievers or stand-outs; that isn't the culture here. This sums up what the hospital really wants: not much feedback, we'll tell you what to do, when to do it, and you won't complain because you don't care that much. BRG recently implemented a new hospital wide computer system that was and is inadequate for some departments. I don't think anyone with departmental knowledge was even invited to the table before said software was purchased to give feedback to those to whom it mattered. (And if they did, that feedback either was disregarded or ignored.) It took a long time, relatively speaking, for that message to be heard at the levels it needed to in order for more change to occur. If a job is just a job to you, this is the place to go. You can try to make a difference at BRG, but good luck with that.

11. "I have had some wonderful and challenging experiences here."

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Baton Rouge General full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I love my coworkers. We're a family. We help and look out for one another. When one is struggling to keep up, others do whatever they can to help lighten the load.

Cons

My particular experience with current management has been cordial at best. I don't feel like my current manager is an advocate for nurses. And this manager has less clinical experience than the nurses she/he supervises.

Advice to Management

Show your nurses genuine appreciation. Support your nurses with adequate staffing. And if your unit is short and no nurse can be found, help your unit by offering your skills. Also, when there is a dispute, show respect for your nurses by hearing both sides neutrally.