Baton Rouge General Staff RN Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating
  1. "Pros/Cons"

Former Employee - Staff RN

I worked at Baton Rouge General full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Close relationships with co-workers; easy facility to navigate; lots of experience gained working as a nurse out of school.

Cons

Some RN's in management positions are not qualified; the nurses best interest are sometimes overlooked and they are overworked to accommodate upper-management demands that will earn more money for the hospital.

Baton Rouge General2019-02-26

"Staff Nurse, RN, BSN"

Current Employee - Staff RN in Convent, LA

I have been working at Baton Rouge General full-time for more than a year

Pros

The pros about this facility is that it welcomed me with open arms upon hire while trying to find a place to work closer to home, they understood my situation, and the team dynamic upon hire was amazing and very supportive.

Cons

The cons: First I want to start with thanking the Baton Rouge General for the opportunity to work for them and the experience I have gained. Upon hire like I said in the pros section great team dynamic great support, but things changed. I have now been working for the General for two years now going on three, and I have noticed not only a change in the work environment, high turn over rate, staffing situation, high nurse burn out, patient acuity vs. nurse to patient ratio, poor organization, and poor management. But, what I have noticed is a trend in nurses not having a voice when it comes to situations that need to be spoken on or things that need to be handle on the unit that needs improvement. On the unit I work on I felt as a nurse I did the best I could, going to work everyday giving 110 percent staying late nights, and still I felt like my work and what I did is not good enough and management made me feel as if I wasn’t giving my all when I do all I can do for my patients. I take my job very seriously I am very passionate about being a nurse and caring for people, it’s part of my life, and it saddens me to feel as if I am not being given the credit for what I am doing especially when I am giving my all, and I will be the bigger person and speak for my team because if it wasn’t for my team of nurses on my unit I don’t think I would have stayed as long as I did those ladies and men are amazing from the nurses, telemetry techs, cardiac rehab, PCA’s, Lab techs, doctors, EVS workers, dietary, and transporters; the credit is given from my voice because I think we deserve it. I know every hospital has its flaws, but at some point they need to be fixed. Also, addressing management I know times can get touch but we need leaders that will tackle situations good or bad, big or small, and most of all making there employees feel valued. As a team we have spoken up and still I see failure in things that are not being improved. To list those things, staffing I know we have to hire to get staffing but also patient ratio, acuity, and nurse burn out is a problem. To address this I think the hospital is forgetting the bigger picture, the well being of the patients and safe patient quality care. On the unit I work on the patient acuity is very high, very fast pace unit which; I love the pace, but what is not being address is patient load and patient acuity. Error is liable to be made if you give for example, one nurse 2-3 open heart patients that need practically one on one care that has a max of 6 total patients while being continuously slammed with admits and discharges, organization is definitely a problem. Nursing assignments are definitely a work in progress. Nurse burn out is not only bad for the nurse but is very very harmful to the patient, and nothing is being done about this issue. Delegation, communication, leadership, advocacy, and organization is the key. If the hospital does not fix these areas it will carry over to the next facility that is in the progress of being opened, and high turn over rates will continue to be an issue due to nurse burn out, but also patient safety concerns. It does have an effect it might not be an issue now, but it is a growing problem, and if it’s not the employees management needs to be addressed. Look at the bigger picture what is creating these issues. With that being said I do love what I do as a nurse, and it does carry over into my everyday life this is not just a job for me it is truly a passion, and I will speak up where change and rights that need to happen, and will always fight for the better as long as I am a nurse and as long as I live, I will be the voice of reason. Once again thank you Baton Rouge General for the opportunity to work for your organization and for the experience I have gained at your facility it is greatly appreciated, and I will carry that with me through my advancing nursing career.

Continue reading
    Baton Rouge General2019-07-08

"Good patient care experience, bad company"

RN Staff Nurse in Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Baton Rouge General for more than 8 years

Pros

Good way for new nurses to learn and gain experience. Benefits are good as long as you use a BRG provider/facility. Employer match 401k

Cons

Management does not care about nurses or any of the bedside staff. Staffing is often unsafe and concerns about this fall on deaf ears. Unit managers are often fired, so they never advocate for their nurses because they’re always trying to please administration for fear of losing their job.

Continue reading
    Baton Rouge General2018-09-12

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Found 3 reviews