Battelle Memorial Reviews | Glassdoor

Battelle Memorial President and CEO Jeff Wadsworth
Jeff Wadsworth

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Lack of upper management communication (in 24 reviews)

• Top heavy; high overheads; lacking overall vision despite some excellent groups upon which to build (in 10 reviews)

"Dilbertesque mismanagement of high quality talent."

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interesting research and development opportunities. Generally excellent employees. Good location. That's about as much as can be said positively.

Cons

Suffering hangover from large early-retirement buyouts that cost >25% of the workforce. Most employees are on temp contracts and treated as disposable. Not a good place to build a career.

Advice to Management

Mid level management needs to be taken way more seriously. There is no oversight and horrible inadequacy of management. Projects fail and blame is put on low-level scapegoats who were never given the tools to do their jobs.

"Laboratory Research Experience"

Former Contractor - Research Microbiologist in Columbus, OH
    Former Contractor - Research Microbiologist in Columbus, OH

I worked at Battelle Memorial as a contractor

Pros

Very competitive Salaries
    Wide variety of employment opportunities

Cons

Disorganized Project Managers
    Non-cooperative, highly competitive, neurotic atmosphere mostly likely due to lack of job security for permanent employees
    very little instruction and training
    almost non existent Quality Control in the lab I was in
    overblown sense of professionalism

Advice to Management

I spent my career at the US FDA in Washington, DC. I heard many good things about Battelle, but was rather disappointed when I began there. The competitive atmosphere within management created a rather uncomfortable environment for me. I was told by the managers that they were available to me, but when I actually approached them, they seemed annoyed and somewhat hostile towards me for bothering them. The PI I worked under was not prepared for us, and I found myself unequipped to do the type of lab work I am familiar with. For example, using city tap water to make reagents and culture media with no aseptic controls or techniques. Once I made one mistake, due to a lack of help or training. I was chastised and blamed and I quit. Very disappointing experience there.

"Rudderless Ship"

Former Employee - Project/Program Manager in Atlantic City, NJ
    Former Employee - Project/Program Manager in Atlantic City, NJ

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There are good people performing valuable work throughout the organization. Benefit package was good. There were opportunities for advancement if you were willing to relocate.

Cons

There is Battelle Columbus and the rest of Battelle. If you aren't located in Columbus you miss out on events and communication.

Benefits are being significantly reduced to be more in line with other companies.

In recent years Battelle became a rudderless ship with a CEO standing at the stern saying "see what we've done" instead of looking over the bow and giving direction on where the organization should be going.

Advice to Management

It is time to clean house at upper levels of management from the CEO on down. There was little communication from Columbus to satellite offices and constant turmoil. Non performing business units should have been shut down sooner and high performing business units should have been rewarded according to performace. A one size fits all bonus system is a disincentive when non performers get basically the same bonuses as high performers based on position titles.

"Okay"

Pros

You get to work with mostly friendly coworkers.

Cons

Opaque and highly dishonest/petty management

"Organized chaos that's not really even organized."

Former Employee - Quality Assurance
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unique and always something new on the Horizon.

Cons

The company designs some of the most advance equipment and technologies in the world, but expects it's employees to work off of computers that are easily 5 years old. There are no career paths at Battelle. As the millennial workforce moves into the industry, Battelle will not be prepared for the type of culture and demands millennials bring. Very "this is the way it's always been done" mindset. Good thing the slogan no longer says Business of Innovation and has changed to "It Can Be Done" ... at the expense of your employees time, with a hammer, and by force to make a quick stressful buck.

Advice to Management

Diversify upper management. It looks like our history of US Presidents. They just added another old white guy to the lineup.

Invest the money you got from selling the land South of Fifth Avenue into your people, not a lobby with fancy tiles and new furnishings. Develop your people, show them a career path, create a bonus structure. The leaders have been quoted and interpreted as thinking a flashy new website and lobby remodel are going to attract and retain talent. Retaining talent comes naturally if you take care of your people. I promise!

6. "Good People, Bad Senior Management"

Former Contractor - Sample Management Office Technician in Pueblo, CO
    Former Contractor - Sample Management Office Technician in Pueblo, CO

I worked at Battelle Memorial as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

- Incredibly bright and talented people
    - Interesting work and ability to develop skills necessary in high-end research
    - Managers & supervisors are demanding of respect but (generally) give equal respect to the employee.
    - Provide more than required amounts of PPE & have a fierce dedication to Safety, Health & Environment

Cons

Contractors, especially persons contracted into the company through another company, are disposed of without any compensation or assistance for the expenses due to incurred expenses for working with the company. Harassment of people with differing values happens and doesn't get punished. Managers, Supervisors & anyone above "floor" level are expendable in terms of scapegoating. Severe lack of competence is not necessarily punished as it ought to be. Some supervisors undermine the authority of their own managers (or even Sr. managers).

HR is unable to actually provide persons that have the abilities for the positions that are open. As is the norm now, HR personnel have practically little to no experience in the field that they are recruiting for. Also, ATS weed out the good candidates.

Advice to Management

Be smart. Hire people with science degrees for HR positions. Yes, it will be expensive at first but the long term gain will be significant.

Stop treating contractors as if they are pieces of meat. You're taking advantage of them in a moral way. Of course, you are "legally" in the right but morally you are giving hope without complete and full disclosure. Tell the contractor up front: There is no guarantee that you will have a job in a week. In fact, we often have to cut people far earlier than we like due to losing a contract.

HR: you better start figuring out which employees are being discriminated against and straighten that up. Otherwise, you could easily have a law-suit on your hands.

"Two Company Sides: One Good, One Sadly Deteriorating"

Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Business Operations Analyst in Columbus, OH

I worked at Battelle Memorial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

If your education and experience leads you to the Technical side of the Company, you will work with some of the most gifted and/or highly trained professionals in town, on some very interesting Contracts / Projects that will hopefully benefit the world through science. If you find yourself in the Business side of the Company, you will have joined a slowly sinking ship.

Cons

The sad saga of Battelle over the last ten years is a heartbreaker. It has become rife with unethical business dealings, corrupt HR practices, and rampant deceit and indecision. Discrimination and prejudice abound in all areas of the company, and begin from the Top down ... with Executive Management being comprised of an all-male, ultra-conservative, all-white, Right-Wing Christianist makeup. Retribution for dissenting views and opinions is swift and harsh.
    The Diversity Team of about 30 staff was completely dismantled a few years ago. Beehive mentality and group-thought and conformist behavior is now the Rule of the day.
    At the end of 2015 and beginning of 2016, a "Staffing Optimization Plan" led over 500 seasoned professionals over the age of 50 to the front door. A huge loss to both sides of the House. The company is reeling on the business side of operations. The various computer systems supporting operations are the biggest obstacle, and still do not work despite tens of millions of dollars used to implement and repair them over the last 10 years.

Advice to Management

Stop misrepresenting the Truth to your Employees and the Board of Directors. Investigate your corrupt HR Department. Eliminate cronyism and nepotism. Do not completely disregard lessons learned and mistakes made from the past, or you will be destined to repeat them.

"Battelle used to be an awesome place to work."

Current Employee - Research Leader in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Research Leader in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Battelle Memorial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Many, many really smart people. Wide variety of work. Interesting problems to solve for interesting clients, both government and commercial.

Cons

Management that doesn't know what they what Battelle to do in the market. Battelle's rates are too expensive, so they cut hours and ask staff to make up the difference on their own time.

Advice to Management

Get focused.

"Not good - company used to be MUCH better"

I have been working at Battelle Memorial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Not too many pros I can mention

Cons

No competitive salaries, no profit bonuses, no performance increases. Everyone just gets the usual 3%

Advice to Management

None - sinking ship

"Layers"

Former Employee - Research Scientist in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Research Scientist in Columbus, OH

I worked at Battelle Memorial (More than 5 years)

Pros

Very good people. Smart some driven.

Cons

It was hard to move up

Advice to Management

Pay close attention to the needs of your people.