Batteries Plus Bulbs Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Russ Reynolds

Pros
Cons
  • There is little room for advancement in this company (in 6 reviews)

• morale issues (at all seven stores I worked at), no benefits, unnecessary sales goals (in 8 reviews)

1. "Batteries Plus Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Manager in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at Batteries Plus Bulbs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent people, working with owner from time to time, control over your own store, solid backing from corporate, and an excellent resume builder.

Cons

There are no serious cons to working there, I have always enjoyed the company, and enjoy it more so now that I am in management.

Advice to Management

Handle situations in a timely manor, and utilize employees to their fullest with delegation of tasks. Play on each persons strengths, and reward them for a job well done.

2. "Awesome Job"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Glen Ellyn, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Glen Ellyn, IL

I have been working at Batteries Plus Bulbs (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for my age, great group of people and management was helpful in getting me the hours that I needed.

Cons

Training was pretty tedious but definitely necessary

3. "Beware South Carolina Stores"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, SC

I worked at Batteries Plus Bulbs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to earn a bonus each month over your normal salary.

Cons

No clear direction from the management team. They don't seem to be on the same page with each other. A lot of inappropriate language and innuendos from the management team. Expected to learn a lot (batteries, bulbs, device repair, key cutting) without appropriate compensation.

Advice to Management

Take a hard look at the management team and decide if the risk of a law suit is worth keeping some of them around.

5. "Device repair tech"

Current Employee - Device Repair Tech in Kissimmee, FL
    Current Employee - Device Repair Tech in Kissimmee, FL

I have been working at Batteries Plus Bulbs part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with. Very laid back. Is like working with family. The work is easy though there's alot to learn.

Cons

They could pay a little more for the work done.

"Store Manager"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at Batteries Plus Bulbs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Employee discount. The training itself exposes you to an understanding of lighting, portable power, and device repair. I have taken away knowledge of fixing smart phones, batteries, bulbs, and an expanded upon common sense approach to fixing small electronics.

Cons

The company is competing against Amazon. There is nothing sold in the store that is a high-demand, proprietary item to Batteries Plus Bulbs.
    The company trains the staff to be the most informed "expert" in batteries, lighting, and phone repair, which is true, however once the customer has the knowledge they can just buy it off Amazon...or anywhere else that is cheaper.
    There is no social media presence...corporate asks that 75% of the advertising budget be put into Google AdWords and the company's own eCommerce site. This is a narrow-minded approach to customer allocation. Without an active social media campaign it is difficult to see how the company will gain new, or even younger, customers. In an ever expanding mobile-phone based world most still don't even know that the company exists or even what the company offers a potential customer. Which is alarming being that there are hundred of millions of smart-phone owners in the US.
    This company is seeing a steady decline in many battery categories like that of Cordless Phone, Cellular, Camera/Camcorder, and Laptop. These categories make up about 1/4 to 1/3 of the showroom and this is largely due in part to smartphones and tablets becoming more popular. It may be that this company is on pace to be another Radio Shack...
    Zero benefits other than paid vacation, holidays, and sick days...must work for year before you get sick days and vacation though...this is dependant from one franchise to the next.
    If there is more than one owner...do not work for that Batteries Plus Bulbs. You will find that there is a general lack of understanding of what happens on a day-to-day basis for owners that are not hands on day in and day out. Those who may think that his/her narrative is the most insightful and intuitive one in the room at any given time is exactly what hurts businesses the most; a destructive personality by those who are in charge.
    Also, there is no opportunity for raises unless you get promoted from Sales Associate, Assistant Manager, or Store Technician to the Store Manager position.
    Most of those who I have worked with are arrogant and I watched as customers pick up on this pretty quick.
    It's not a very healthy place to work. Expected to lift over 100 lbs by yourself, exposure to lead, mercury, sulfuric acid, lithium, and other various battery chemistries like that of, but not limited to cadmium...
    Roark Capital Group, who had owned Batteries Plus Bulbs, sold the company in the summer of 2016 after a series of a reviews given by the franchise owners outside of corporate. I stated before that if the company doesn't do a better job that they will undoubtedly be like that of another company Radio Shack.

Advice to Management

A stronger social media presence is needed like that of Spotify, Pandora, IG, FB, Twitter, etc.
    Local radio advertising.
    Reduce royalty costs, franchise fees, and advertising costs to franchises.

7. "Retail"

I have been working at Batteries Plus Bulbs part-time

Pros

consistent hours, not to many employees

Cons

Prosource is frustrating, High volume of responsibility's

"I loved my job, but they are so disorganized and have extemely high turnover rate. No one is there to help at times."

Former Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Hartland, WI
    Former Employee - Applications Support Analyst in Hartland, WI

I worked at Batteries Plus Bulbs full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

It was good experience for me to learn on the job and what kind of manager I can and can not work with.

Cons

Manager system is terrible & not fair to women. Not enough training given to employees about new tech they have to support. They find out the same day as the store employees. High turnover, rotating schedule, and hours suck.

Advice to Management

Get it together. Train employees fully before throwing new technology at them without real training. It will make the callers happier if POS knows what they are doing. Actually be fair to everyone, don't just say that's something you need to do.

9. "Ok hourly job to start"

I worked at Batteries Plus Bulbs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible schedule was always nice

Cons

No health insurance at all

Advice to Management

pay your employees more

"Great place to start off in life"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Batteries Plus Bulbs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Its truly not too stressful, it can sometimes be slow. When it is busy remember GapAct, to make most out of your customers. Great pay, medium stress, and truly enjoyable to help out the customers. Be prepared to be a tech and retail associate, that means fix a phone while being able to sell batteries or bulbs.Flexible hours and schedule.

Cons

No other real benefits besides pay. Can be boring sometimes. Don't work on phones if you're not comfortable because breaking a customers device is no fun.

Advice to Management

Depending on where you work check out the store. It is a small team so easy for people to get along or not. Also if your bosses values are in tune with yours apply somewhere else, aka more liberal or more conservative (Mine was the latter but I didn't mind too much)

"They Don't Know What They Want"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orange Park, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Orange Park, FL

I worked at Batteries Plus Bulbs full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning practical skills, the employee discount

Cons

Terrible Benefits, Doesn't uphold company policy, Doesn't treat employees equally, Will Change Policy to Suit the Situation.

Advice to Management

Back your employees, it's probably why they don't stick around past the first week hiring process.