BaubleBar Reviews | Glassdoor

BaubleBar Reviews

3.3
Amy Jain

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "The mid-week treats and Happy Hours on Fridays might seem like a small gesture from management but they mean so much to people" (in 7 reviews)

• "Most Entry/Middle level employees are nice and hard working" (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • "I wouldn't necessarily call them cons, but you do work long hours at BaubleBar and it's simply expected from you" (in 7 reviews)

• "You can literally sit back and stream your latest shows on their internet and no one would even care" (in 6 reviews)

"Awesome Place to work"

Former Employee - Office Administrator in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Office Administrator in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at BaubleBar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your Hard work and Care for companies bottom line will be noticed.
    They are willing to train you in most any aspect of the business. Which opens new opportunities Just Ask.

Cons

I Wish they could've stayed in NYC

Advice to Management

Look to old OG bauble employee for promotions before hiring outside help.
    If there still there they must be doing something right..

"Was nice while it lasted but needs management improvement."

Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I worked at BaubleBar full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good coworkers
    Relaxed work environment

I enjoyed working here for the most part until I was laid off and the company seems to continue to shrink since.. not sure what is going on over there.

Cons

Uncertain future
    Unorganized
    Long hours
    Not much upward movement

The company has been cutting corners to save money including cutting people. Not sure how much longer they can last it will definitely be harder to improve anything if they keep downsizing when everyone is already overworked as is.
    The company definitely needs to make a big change to stay relevant. Also needs more employees to do so which they can not afford.

Advice to Management

Need more communication from higher ups and visibility into company goals. Involve your manger and lower level employees in bigger conversations.. it will help feel like a more inclusive work environment and only work out for you benefit. I often found out information when it was little too late since timelines are already tight as is. I would have liked to be more involved in bigger picture for my own benefit and for the company. Use your employees strength.. they want to help but can not in an already overworked environment.

"It's a sinking ship with no captain"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at BaubleBar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hard to think of any unless free coffee and snacks are your thing. To the company's credit, they do have some loyal employees that toil for 10+ hours daily to keep the lights on. And you get a respectable 401k and full health insurance, albeit the deductible is high.

Cons

They can't pay their bills, they're losing money, vendors are refusing to work with them, and the investors are ready to pull the plug on the whole thing. Their solution is to spend money they don't have on an office facelift even though employees are racing for the door.

Advice to Management

You've heard it before from people at all levels, either step down or sell to the next offer you get. You don't have much time before you become another Gilt, Nasty Gal, or Claire's.

"Great start-up environment"

I worked at BaubleBar full-time

Pros

Lots of responsibility & ability to make an impact

Cons

Stressful at times, but that is typical for a high-growth company

5. "Great Environment"

I have been working at BaubleBar full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to learn and grow

Cons

Inter team communication isn't that great

"Revolving door Policy "Get HIRED to BE FIRED""

I worked at BaubleBar full-time

Pros

Bagel-Mondays, Ice-Cream Wednesdays and regular happy hours with cheap wine and cheap beer on them.

Cons

There is not enough free bagels, cheap wine, near beer and free ice-cream to say that it is worth working at Bauble bar. Here are other reasons to just stay away.

-This company is full of politics and Micromanagers.

-Lack of Growth - You will never be able to fully utilized your skills. If you are looking for growth in a real company look elsewhere.

- Unprofessional work environment: Despite the corporate culture, they have some people that are creepy and /or very inappropriate including HR personel.

Lack of Regards for Privacy /

One of the main reasons they got HACKED; no safeguard to anyone private information. Why pay for internet at home when you have all access to any website at work. You can literally sit back and stream your latest shows on their internet and no one would even care.

Advice to Management

Trust the ones you hired to do a job.

"Minimal management support"

Former Employee - Production
    Former Employee - Production

I worked at BaubleBar (More than a year)

Pros

Often free food, and small employee perks like happy hours.

Cons

Terrible management and organization.

"Uninspired work environment"

I worked at BaubleBar full-time

Pros

The business model is basically make jewelry in China then ship it here and sell it online. The twist being they speed up the cadence at which new products are added and removed.

There are a lot of different aspect to the company so it's hard to be too specific. There's the warehouse and logistics side, the customer service side, the product side and the tech side. I worked with tech so I'll stick to that.

- You can do very little work at it doesn't really matter: The company is so hierarchical and disconnected I think I could go a month without working by the time it got to anyone that cared

- some perks. Believe it or not, Baublebar bills itself as a "start-up" (actually, use of that word with a hyphen in these reviews is probably a good indicator of who wrote them) which means they do nominally startup-y things like new hire lunches and a sparsely attended happy hour. Enjoy!

Cons

I should start with this- THEY GOT HACKED AND LOST ALL EMPLOYEE TAX DATA. My SSN, name, income? all in the hands of an outside party. The letter they sent basically said "that sucks! good luck" and was signed by the COO because that's the kind of leadership you get from the founders.

Now, I am going to try really hard to leave that out of my review as best I can. That totally sucked but it happened after I left so I'll try to be impartial.

- super boring. The problems you solve are mundane. It's a retail jewelry business, it's pretty commoditized at this point. You just sort of go through the motions

- very little room for growth. Because management is so fragmented it was really hard for strong performers to get recognized as such. Getting promoted doesn't really happen a ton and when it does you just kinda had to be at the right place at the right time. My position was one where I never expected to be promoted, just an observation of those in entry level roles.

- unprofessional work environment: despite the corporate culture, people are surprisingly inappropriate. Some employees were known for being misogynistic and "creepy" but most people just lived with it. Since there wasn't a lot of top-down communication there is a lot of rumors and speculation among employees about what's going on. I guess that's normal in any work place to some extent but it seemed really over the top here.

Advice to Management

Drop the startup facade! Just admit to what you are and you'll attract candidates that feel more comfortable in that work environment. Instead you attract people expecting a loft office with a pingpong table and flat management structure. Own your corporate roots and you'll have a lot more success recruiting.

"Don't waste your time"

Pros

Office is located in Flatiron
    Monthly jewelry allowance
    Most Entry/Middle level employees are nice and hard working
    Free health insurance

Cons

There is no strategy or process which leads to priorties changing with no justification
    Don't let the press about being "data driven" fool you. It's nothing special and everything is cobbled together with excel files and google docs
    Upper management is comprised of complacent BaubleBar lifers and mean girls
    Jewelry is crap that's mostly knock offs or was found in the garment district

Advice to Management

Let professionals with relevant experience take the lead if you want the company to succeed

"Looks can be deceiving"

I worked at BaubleBar full-time

Pros

Discounts, happy hour, snacks, supplies and coffee, clean work space, convenient location

Cons

There's barely any communication between departments. Some teams seem to work non-stop where as others are done with work in a few hours. You will have people with power trips and toss aside what you say. It does get catty but you will have an actively role in doing things because it's a start up. It's not a professional environment so if you're looking for laid back and nonchalant then this is for you. After a year the glow starts to wear off and it's not a place you stay at long.

Advice to Management

Hold everyone to the same standard. Be realistic with expectations and transparent about objectives for the company and it's employees.