Bay Area News Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sharon Ryan

Pros
  • Worked with good people, learned a lot about the business (in 3 reviews)

• I really enjoy the people I work with and also the ones I work for (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management provides no direction or recognition (in 3 reviews)

• Low morale due to constant layoffs, paycuts, benefit cuts, and lack of team building (in 2 reviews)

"Market Research Manager"

I worked at Bay Area News Group full-time

Pros

Open to expanding in digital areas

Cons

Some pretty funky location facilities

2. "Likely fatal lack of leadership"

Former Employee - Non-editorial
    Former Employee - Non-editorial

I worked at Bay Area News Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Earning a paycheck and experience overall. Writing and journalism positions in editorial.

Cons

Micro-management without the ability to provide proper leadership skills resulting in extremely low workplace morale and a highly toxic workplace environment. Although based in Silicon Valley, this company lacks true forward thinking and shouldn't be regarded as such with products that merely mimic competitors. Culture is non-existent. Owned by a private equity firm.

Advice to Management

Stop making lazy decisions, your employees suffer for it. Take a good hard look in the mirror.

3. "Bay Area News Group is an awesome place to work"

I have been working at Bay Area News Group full-time

Pros

The people and culture are amazing. I love my coworkers, and each day I get to do different types of creative work. I'm also blessed with two fantastic managers. They are supportive, don't micromanage, provide positive feedback, and always make me feel appreciated.

Cons

Literally the only con is the salary, which is on the low side.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. :)

Bay Area News Group Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Recruiter

Thank you for your review! It's great to hear that we are exceeding your expectations of being an amazing place to work! We appreciate your candid response!

"Administration"

Former Employee - Administration in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Administration in San Jose, CA

I worked at Bay Area News Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's nothing positive to say about this horrible place. Save yourself from making a terrible decision. The people working at the top of he chain don't give a damn about anyone in the company! The culture sucks and the employees seem to be drowning in misery.

Cons

Managers are way too micromanaging, they don't trust their employees, and lack professionalism. If you see any positive comments it's probably the recruiter trying to get good company reviews. Don't be FOOLED.

Advice to Management

Give your employees the autonomy so they feel comfortable and happy to do their work. Trust your employees, be more human, and treat your employees with respect and learn how to show appreciation.

Bay Area News Group Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Recruiter

Hello, We appreciate your feedback and will be looking into this more! We are sorry your experience at the Bay Area News Group did not meet our expectations of being the best place to work. We ... More

6. "Good for entry-level"

Current Employee - Staff Writer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Writer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Bay Area News Group (More than a year)

Pros

This position provides good experience for an entry-level journalist

Cons

Did not receive any pay raise or bonus in 2 years

"Receiving Department Supervisor"

Current Employee - Receiving Supervisor in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Receiving Supervisor in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Bay Area News Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Training and support is good.

Cons

Decisions are made from upper Management without full knowledge of exactly how it will affect all involved.

Advice to Management

Work in departments to really see how things are before making drastic changes.

8. "Great Place To Work!"

Pros

Bay Area News Group is a fun and flexible place to work! I truly enjoy the people I work with and don't dread coming into work but look forward to it. Even though the Bay Area News Group is a larger organization I don't feel like I get lost in the cracks. The leadership is constantly giving it's employees the freedom grow and develop within the company. Overall, I am very proud to say I am part of the Bay Area News Group!

Cons

The Bay Area News Group is transforming from a print media company to a digital media company. There are some growing pains, but it's exciting to see the bigger picture of where the company is headed.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging your employees to think outside the box and continue to give them the freedom to try new ideas and innovate the way we do business.

"No raises since 2008"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Bay Area News Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Now known as East Bay Times. The best part of the former Contra Costa Times/ Oakland Tribune family: Some wonderful talented and hardworking journalists are part of the newsroom team here.

Cons

As part of Digital First Media, the East Bay Times answers to the hedge fund Alden Global Capital. Employees have gone years, many of them 8 years or more, without raises, even is the company remains profitable. There are similar issues at the Mercury News and all papers in this chain.

Advice to Management

Give East Bay Times workers a raise. Invest in your people and your communities, which for decades have built and supported this news organization. Care more about people than investors.

"Some great work still being done, but declining quality, quantity"

Former Employee - Editorial Department in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial Department in San Jose, CA

I worked at Bay Area News Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the editors and writers produce great journalism with a sharp vision and passion, despite huge obstacles. Covers the exciting, dynamic, multicultural San Francisco Bay Area. Quality photojournalism and sports coverage.

Cons

BANG is owned by hedge fund Alden Global Capital, which cares only about squeezing profit out of a once-proud institution. Constant cost cutting has hollowed out the company and forced many fine journalists to leave. Nonunion workers got a puny pay hike recently after nearly a decade without -- in fact after several rounds of pay and benefit cuts. Union employees still haven't had a pay increase.

Advice to Management

Take the time much more frequently to praise front-line workers in the less-visible roles. When they aren't getting paid salaries that reflect their contributions, a friendly desk-side chat or encouraging email can go a long way toward making people feel valued.

"Run far away from this place"

I have been working at Bay Area News Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you like pressure cooker environments, work here. If you don't respect yourself and your time, work here. If you like being bludgeoned over the head to make impossible goals, throughout a soul-crushing career, go ahead and apply.

Cons

It used to be a proud company, but now it's just sad how not only employees but their shrinking audience (!) are treated unfairly. Management seeks to find newer ways to paint lipstick on this pig. Until it is owned and run by people who actually care about its true mission of investigative reporting, it will be nothing more than an empty shell with no future. Period.

Advice to Management

Take a look in the mirror. Do you like what you see? Didn't think so. Regain some pride and speak some truth, try to care a little more about your audience.