Bay Area News Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Sharon Ryan

Pros
  • Worked with good people, learned a lot about the business (in 3 reviews)

• I really enjoy the people I work with and also the ones I work for (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management provides no direction or recognition (in 3 reviews)

• Low morale due to constant layoffs, paycuts, benefit cuts, and lack of team building (in 2 reviews)

1. "Good for entry-level"

Current Employee - Staff Writer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Writer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Bay Area News Group (More than a year)

Pros

This position provides good experience for an entry-level journalist

Cons

Did not receive any pay raise or bonus in 2 years

"Administration"

Former Employee - Administration in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Administration in San Jose, CA

I worked at Bay Area News Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There's nothing positive to say about this horrible place. Save yourself from making a terrible decision. The people working at the top of he chain don't give a damn about anyone in the company! The culture sucks and the employees seem to be drowning in misery.

Cons

Managers are way too micromanaging, they don't trust their employees, and lack professionalism. If you see any positive comments it's probably the recruiter trying to get good company reviews. Don't be FOOLED.

Advice to Management

Give your employees the autonomy so they feel comfortable and happy to do their work. Trust your employees, be more human, and treat your employees with respect and learn how to show appreciation.

Bay Area News Group Response

Mar 1, 2017 – Recruiter

Hello, We appreciate your feedback and will be looking into this more! We are sorry your experience at the Bay Area News Group did not meet our expectations of being the best place to work. We ... More

"Receiving Department Supervisor"

Current Employee - Receiving Supervisor in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Receiving Supervisor in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Bay Area News Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good people to work with. Training and support is good.

Cons

Decisions are made from upper Management without full knowledge of exactly how it will affect all involved.

Advice to Management

Work in departments to really see how things are before making drastic changes.

"No raises since 2008"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Bay Area News Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Now known as East Bay Times. The best part of the former Contra Costa Times/ Oakland Tribune family: Some wonderful talented and hardworking journalists are part of the newsroom team here.

Cons

As part of Digital First Media, the East Bay Times answers to the hedge fund Alden Global Capital. Employees have gone years, many of them 8 years or more, without raises, even is the company remains profitable. There are similar issues at the Mercury News and all papers in this chain.

Advice to Management

Give East Bay Times workers a raise. Invest in your people and your communities, which for decades have built and supported this news organization. Care more about people than investors.

"Some great work still being done, but declining quality, quantity"

Former Employee - Editorial Department in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Editorial Department in San Jose, CA

I worked at Bay Area News Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some of the editors and writers produce great journalism with a sharp vision and passion, despite huge obstacles. Covers the exciting, dynamic, multicultural San Francisco Bay Area. Quality photojournalism and sports coverage.

Cons

BANG is owned by hedge fund Alden Global Capital, which cares only about squeezing profit out of a once-proud institution. Constant cost cutting has hollowed out the company and forced many fine journalists to leave. Nonunion workers got a puny pay hike recently after nearly a decade without -- in fact after several rounds of pay and benefit cuts. Union employees still haven't had a pay increase.

Advice to Management

Take the time much more frequently to praise front-line workers in the less-visible roles. When they aren't getting paid salaries that reflect their contributions, a friendly desk-side chat or encouraging email can go a long way toward making people feel valued.

"Cheap, throw-away employer attitude"

Former Employee - Repoorter in Oakland, CA
    Former Employee - Repoorter in Oakland, CA

Pros

It's fun to be a reporter. There is a lot of autonomy.

Cons

It's not fun being poor. The web site focuses more on sports and crime than actual news. Investigative journalism is nearly dead as is community journalism at this place

Advice to Management

Pack it up.

8. "Collections/customer service"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I worked at Bay Area News Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You were trained and given a buddy to work with. Pretty much self managed but needed to meet your deadlines. Friendly people!

Cons

We were not given a raise in the 4 years I worked there.

Advice to Management

I would cut back some of the top salaries and distribute to the people who opened the door - even if it was just a little.

9. "New Business Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in San Jose, CA

Pros

Excellent training and fulfillment staff!
    Huge ad network
    Client perks available to close sales and keep top tier clients

Cons

Old guard doesn't like the new rules and favors their handpicked staff

Poor decisions with key accounts that you have closed. Gave away all commission for a secondary location of a large account because it was out of the area.

Advice to Management

If you have a top selling rep, back them up. Don't give away accounts/commission they earned.

Don't allow senior managers with a reputation for cronyism near your best new reps

"Account Manager"

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Great company. Is growing and they treat their employee with lot of respect. The work life balance is amazing.Overall I would recommend BANG. Its a fun place to work.

Cons

BANG has some cons. Its a newspaper company and newspaper is going down, so that would be the greatest con. However they are working to fix that.

"People are great, benefits are horrible"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Bay Area News Group full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The people you work with are great, in general. There are few that look down at you based on their title. Most people are treated like peers, even by some supervisors/managers. The office is new and is very convenient with its downtown location.

Cons

The benefits are extremely horrible. Your gross pay (if salary-based) is competitive, but when you factor in the cost of medical insurance alone, you end up taking home so much less than you deserve. Also the difference in costs between Kaiser and Blue Cross almost seems like they are trying to force employees to choose Kaiser. There are also no opportunities for advancement, it seems. They seek outside applicants first, I think.

Advice to Management

Consider existing employees for filling in open positions, instead of hiring outside of the company. It could make the difference in that employee being a loyal one, or someone that will leave once a better opportunity outside is available.

Bay Area News Group Response

Jul 6, 2015 – Recruiter

Thank you for your candid response! We are thrilled to hear about our great culture and office environment - we've come far since our time at the old building. We do strive to offer competitive ... More