Bayard Advertising Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
GORDON WALDORF

1. "Best Entry-Level Job -- Truly Prepared me for my Career"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bayard Advertising full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Bayard's Minneapolis office was such a fun and beneficial experience. I was there for 3 years and advanced from an Account Coordinator to an Account Manager, which meant that I progressively acquired larger accounts. The support I received from my direct manager in Minneapolis was second-to-none; from her training style to the support she provided on a day-to-day basis, she truly shaped me personally and professionally.

The work-life balance was absolutely phenomenal. I especially enjoyed working with vendors and attending client visits around the country.

In my position at Bayard, I was able to wear many hats (submit art requests, update ad copy, have a say in the design process, handle reporting, analysis, tracking, budgeting, media planning and buying for my clients) which helped to make me well-rounded and well-versed. At larger agencies, typically you have 1 role. This was not the case at Bayard - I got to do it all!

I had additional support out of our NYC headquarters where my department manager was - and he was amazing! Even with the remote support out of NYC, my manager in the Minneapolis office truly was the glue that held everything together. The amount of time she invested in training me and getting to know my clients with me and to know what was going on with my accounts on a weekly basis really helped to keep the client first at all times.

Office is located in an awesome area - West End (St. Louis Park), which made for tons of fun lunch outings and after-work happy hours!

Cons

Benefits were a little pricey back when I worked there, but that could be different now - and there are other routes and options you can explore. From my experience, I do not have much negative to say about Bayard.

"Great Opportunity for Self-Starting Individuals"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bayard Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Bayard was the best entry-level job I could have asked for. I was in charge of my own accounts and was able to work hard and watch them grow with as much or as little supervision I wanted. Working closely with vendors gave us opportunities for free office lunches, happy hours, sporting events & concerts. Office culture was respectively relaxed and I genuinely liked my coworkers.

Client visits were a huge bonus, I was able to travel on business to meet my clients face to face. Building relationships with clients, coworkers & vendors was gratifying. Maximizing campaign performance for clients and having the numbers to prove it was rewarding. The experience I gained at Bayard I am grateful and positive it will help me in my career for years to come.

Cons

• Minneapolis is a satellite office and doesn’t have it’s own art department, so sometimes getting requests from our NYC office was challenging.
    • Compensation for level of services provided is low

3. "Baptism by fire!"

I worked at Bayard Advertising full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pretty good benefits, more than enough options to chose from.

Cons

Great first day, but after that no one wants to train you. Everyone acts like you are wasting their time. 6 months later, I was fired for "making too many mistakes," even after working 12 hour days trying to catch up on all the work they handed me.

Being in a small office, you want to feel comfortable with the people that you work with, but I was not treated equally as everyone else in the office as a mixed woman. The person that oversaw me was rude, unprofessional and talked about our clients like they were the dumbest in the business. Real classy Bayard considering this was the person that was supposed to be like a mentor to me. After months of voicing my concerns about this person, my boss who was thousands of miles away in another office did not seem to share my views. It was always my word against hers.

As you are advertising entry level positions, this is entirely unacceptable and inexcusable as a developing agency.

Advice to Management

Get more involved. Especially in offices that are not located in Denver or NY. You have older people working for you that are making new hires feel worthless and trying to push them out.

"Nice Place To Waste Time"

I worked at Bayard Advertising full-time

Pros

You get a paycheck on time; free coffee

Cons

disorganization, nepotism, horrible benefits, archaic daily processes

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and compare company to the very clients we praise every day

6. "Best Entry-Level Job I could have asked for."

Former Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Bayard Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked in the Minneapolis (satellite office) and couldn't have asked for a better boss, office staff and senior management. The experience and knowledge I gained in advertising and client services was a fundamental building block to my career and I couldn't be more grateful. Bayard was very flexible when it came to family situations, taking time off and overall work schedule.

Account coordinators typically start off with the small to mid-sized clients while learning the ropes and can typically expect to transition to larger accounts between 6-12 months following (depending on of often Bayard wins new clients or when other employees transition to other roles). Despite some of the older reviews I've seen, I can say with confidence that Bayard is a great place to start and grow in your career.

Cons

Slow internet, but that's expected to change soon. Otherwise nothing!

Advice to Management

Keep up the excellent leadership!

7. "Great Office Culture"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

I worked in the Minneapolis office under Carly and Phil in Denver and they were both great managers and the office was a fun place to work, I really enjoyed everyone I worked with. I've seen a lot of negative reviews on here out of the NY office, but my experience in MPLS and Denver were both positive.

Cons

Lack of client interaction. I was an AM and really only met most of my clients over the phone and e-mail. To build solid relationships I think it's important to be able to meet with the clients face to face. I think that Andrea the client services manager out of Denver is working to improve that aspect, though.

8. "An Agency With Great Opportunity"

Former Employee - Director, Technology & Digital Strategy in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Director, Technology & Digital Strategy in Denver, CO

I worked at Bayard Advertising full-time

Pros

I've worked at Bayard Advertising for the last 2.5 years and have been exposed to multiple areas of the agency. I’ve greatly enjoyed and appreciated the opportunities I’ve had in gaining exposure to all types of projects and campaigns with a variety of Fortune 500, SMB, and local clients. The experience gained here is invaluable. I came in fairly new to the advertising world and I'm leaving for a huge opportunity made possible by the guidance and mentorship I've received here at Bayard.

I've had the opportunity to work for an exceptional manager in Denver. The type of person that relates to his employees and goes to bat for you each and every day. That's very hard to find, so if you ever are thinking about joining Bayard know that you have a great leader in the office. In addition to this, the Denver team is some of the best people I've worked with - it really is a great culture. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that the newly remodeled office has some amazing views of the front range.

Outside of Denver I've had the pleasure to work with the leaders based out of our NYC HQ. The wealth of advertising knowledge they have is profound, and the advertising/business lessons I've learned from them has boosted my career in leaps and bounds. I wouldn't be where I'm at today if it wasn't for a few of those leaders taking a chance on me and giving me the freedom to openly collaborate in a variety of ways to help the agency grow.

If you want to work in a fast-paced advertising agency with name brand clients then Bayard is the place for you. I've been on multiple award winning campaigns and have grinded out tough projects with my fellow colleagues. There's a lot of talent here, and if you're willing to work hard and prove yourself then the door for opportunity is wide open.

Cons

Working at an advertising agency isn't for everyone. You're dealing with high level campaigns and projects for global clients that require you to give it your all on most days. You work with a variety of clients and people that are demanding. For most people it makes you better, for some it doesn't.

Advice to Management

Keep hiring talented employees and investing in new technology and media

"Avoid this Human garbage"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Bayard Advertising (More than a year)

Pros

Work for a lying, bragging person who can best be described as a mini-Donald trump. This person Abuses the tiny amount of power the world has given him. He bullies and harasses his employees until they quit or he fires them. No stability or creativity can happen in the horrible climate he creates. By far the worst place I have ever worked. Document everything said to you, about you, and around you. You will be set up to fail, you will be blamed, and you will hate every minute there.

Cons

Eventually the owner and HR will be hit with a hostile workplace lawsuit that is inevitable. They let him abuse people. They know it and condone it. Whatever happens here is their own fault. He talks bad about them too, calling them stupid behind their backs. I've seen him lose client after client with his idiotic ideas, but he's still fooling them. In this case, you get what you deserve by allowing this conduct--fully knowing it would not be tolerated anywhere else.

Advice to Management

Instead of making fake good reviews, do something about your terrible workplace where you let this kind of behavior happen.

Bayard Advertising Response

Sep 14, 2016 – Director

As COO of Bayard Advertising, I am sorry to hear that you had an unhappy experience working for our agency. Bayard has an open door policy and both HR and I take every complaint seriously. We were ... More

10. "Everyday Brings Unique Challenges"

Current Employee - Business Development in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Development in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bayard Advertising full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyday is fast-paced full of unique challenges and great client and fellow employee relationships. Here I am able to work with clients in all industries and levels of the organization. Creativity and strategic thinking thrives here at Bayard! Love it!

Cons

Wow! Did I really miss lunch? Time flies here. Make sure and make time for yourself.

"This is the place you want to be, if you can get in."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Bayard Advertising full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I have been an employee of Bayard Advertising for over a decade. I started off as an account executive with no prior experience in Advertising. It has been a wonderful experience being here and I have no regrets. Management has been great to me over the years and I am truly blessed to have a second home. I wake up every morning loving what I do , the people, the friends, and where I work. This place is definitely not for the faint of heart, you are pushed to learn, grow and succeed. I really laugh at most of these reviews from angry ex-employees. I knew most of them and they were the slackers of the organization that had no ambitious or drive. The just wanted to come into work at 10am and leave at 4:45pm. I will say this, if you are driven to succeed this is the place to be. Bayard has a lot training, career development and career growth.

Cons

Management expects perfection from you, long hours while in training and development. Pressure on being the best at what they do. ( Can get really stressful sometimes).

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing pushing everyone past their limits.