Bayer Reviews in Berkeley, CA | Glassdoor

1 Rating

1. "QC analyst"

Current Employee - QC in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - QC in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Bayer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Room to grow
    Good company culture
    I have a good manager who's understanding and flexible

Cons

Decision making can be slow sometimes

Advice to Management

Cross training opportunity
    Priorities

2. "Short time at the company, it seems okay"

Current Contractor - Quality Control Analyst in Berkeley, CA
    Current Contractor - Quality Control Analyst in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Bayer as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a big company with great reputation. There's lots of labs and things to learn, but everybody is sort of segregated to their own section - now they are promoting cross-training, which is a great plus to the employee.

Cons

Little to no recognition to contractors.

It might be characteristic to the location and/or industry, but people are not very social. A bit more camaraderie would not hurt to make the day go by easier.

Fish in a bowl feeling. The company is so big, there's a lot of "red tape" and you might get lost in the paperwork and all the bureaucracy, but this might be typical of worldwide companies.

No gym on site, although they do offer boot camp classes ~3-5 times per week on site.

Cafeteria needs improvement.

Advice to Management

Pay more attention to your contractors. After all, a great majority of us are here to make the best and exceed expectations, and because we want to stay for the long term, but sometimes it feels useless since we are not recognized for our work.

3. "Biologics development in Berkeley CA: Nice people, good work-life balance, risk-averse"

Current Employee - Development Scientist in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Development Scientist in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at University of California Berkeley full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of really nice people and flexible schedule
    Great benefits, especially 401K matching

Cons

Very risk-averse, hard to get support to try new and innovative approaches
    Large company so its pretty bureaucratic

5. "Management Could Use Improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Bayer full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, great people to work with, good benefits, diverse, and focused on employee safety.

Cons

Management needs improvement in various departments.

Advice to Management

Solicit 360 reviews, listen to your employees as to how you can help support them in challenging situations as well as how to support them in professional growth and development. Invest time in taking Management classes.

6. "if you get hurt they are going to get rid of you"

Former Employee - Production Worker in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Production Worker in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Bayer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay rate is competitive

Cons

I got hurt meanwhile I was in training and they will find the way to get rid of you ... They wont support you and because it is a big corporation they have a big networking in the Bay Area you know what I mean ...

Advice to Management

Support your people ...

"Director, Berkeley, CA"

Current Employee - Director in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Bayer full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, global systems, workforce (not inclusive of management or union labor)

Cons

RUN AWAY! Positive reviews on GlassDoor were engineered be PUblic Policy department to improve results of internal bi-annual survey.. This place is not for fighting the wind mills. This employer's practices will crush your soul, strip you of any dignity, make you re-define workplace ethics, coerce you to sleep your way to influential assignments.
    HR biases permeates every facet of Berkeley Site professional life, makes cultural change impossible.
    Cold hearted disregard of CFRs and cover up of GMP violations by middle and upper management is rampant, it is the true root cause of chronic contaminations and loss of product potency. Employees who try to "Do the right thing" are chased out of the organization in blood-curdling fashion.
    Back-stabing, visious gossip, old boys network, German upper management evaluates CA employees the way one would look down at an ant hill.

Advice to Management

Your "See no evil, hear no evil" posturing puts patients in danger! Stop pretending that you dont know about massive daily violations of GMP practices by technicians in every part of your Manufacturing facility.

8. "Assistant Research Scientist"

Current Employee - Assistant Research Scientist/Technician in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Assistant Research Scientist/Technician in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Bayer (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly work environment, especially in the GBD Upstream department.

Cons

Difficult to advance as a contractor. The days are very routine, doing the same thing everyday.

Advice to Management

Give contractors more opportunities to learn.

9. "Research Assistant Intern"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Berkeley, CA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Bayer as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I was paired up with a great mentor who taught me a lot about working in the lab. I was given a relevant project, and the intern culture was great.

Cons

There is not uniform program, and a lot of it depends upon your employer. Sometimes, there is not much work to do, especially if you aren't assigned a lot of work.

Advice to Management

The intern program could definitely benefit from restructuring their program. Since I was a part of one specific department, I did not get exposure to other areas of the manufacturing plant.

"Good company with stability and decent product pipeline, but lacks clear execution strategy and sensible leadership."

Former Employee - Associate Director in Berkeley, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Director in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Bayer full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Stability, decent employee benefits and 401k, industry average to above management bonus program, and talented mid to lower level workforce.

Cons

Decision by consensus, excessive bureaucracy/red tape, conservative execution that limits out of box thinking, unrealistic expectations at the VP and above level, and internal politics which often lead to inconsistent decisions.

Advice to Management

Set realistic management expectations, drive innovation that enables out of box thinking rather constantly focused on conforming to the past and relying on tribal knowledge, and reassess the makeup and performance of the key leadership team members that are driving valuable assets/people to leave Bayer.

11. "Great experience working there."

Former Contractor - Quality Associate in Berkeley, CA
    Former Contractor - Quality Associate in Berkeley, CA

I worked at Bayer as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits and many opportunities for advancement if qualified. Departments work well to collaborate and share information to help with enhancing best practices.

Cons

Large number of employees on site. Things can sometimes get lost in the shuffle. Trying to get change controls through the process takes a while.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work..

Showing 55 of 1,101 reviews