Baylor Scott & White Health Reviews in Dallas, TX | Glassdoor

Dallas, TX

3.1
James H. Hinton

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great atmosphere, very supportive of work life balance (in 24 reviews)

• Great place to grow your career (in 39 reviews)

Cons

1. "It is very fast paced with high expectations."

Current Employee - Director of Surgical Services in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Director of Surgical Services in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a lot of opportunities to grow professionally and BSWH supports growth both financially and with resources. We do a wide variety of CV procedures.

Cons

The challenges are being away from family both here and from those that live in Lubbock, TX. The cost of living is higher than my previous town I lived in.

Advice to Management

I have none. The hospitals goals are lined up with the expectations of senior administration.

"Good intentions but still lacking"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive supervisor that cares about my well-being
    Decent pay for position
    Medical benefits and 401K
    Wellness program

Cons

Company going through massive budget cuts
    Due to said cuts, hundreds of positions are being eliminated
    Due to said cuts, no raises will be given to employees (but somehow upper management will still get their bonuses...)
    Still not sure what direction the CEO is taking us other than he is making it a priority to cut multiple needed positions

Advice to Management

Management could do a much better job about putting him or herself in our shoes- the front line staff are not the reason that the company is bleeding money. It is the management. Yet, it is the front line staff that is being cut. Take the People Survey seriously and actually read the comments. Take the comments to heart and make some changes or BSWH will continue to lose valuable employees.

"Morale under Infrastructure (IT) is at the lowest I have seen in 5 years."

Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Network Engineer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good work/life balance which is uncommon with IT. Current team and direct manager is one of the primary reasons I have stayed.

Cons

Health insurance is a joke, you pay industry averages but are told you have to use their doctors, other benefits are pretty good.

When I started here over 5 years ago this was a great place to work. Lots of room for advancement, and you looked forward to being part of something great. Since the merger when we inherited Scott and Whites CIO, the only thing he cares about is making sure he doesn't look bad at any cost, and by no means will he take responsibility for how the system looks. He has groomed his management team to perform witch hunts for why 10-15 year old equipment failed.

They are attempting to become an ITIL shop, and failing at the expense of the business.

Security team is out of control by placing so much red tape nothing can get done. This results in a lot of strain on other teams because the business doesn't see Security, they see IT as a whole and blame us for why things take so long.

Advice to Management

Wake up and realize it's your employees that make or break you. Realize that outages are part of enterprise business.

Hopefully our new CEO will wake up and realize his lead over Technology has no direction, and if BS&W truly wants to be a top 5 healthcare organization they need better leadership.

4. "Baylor Research Institute"

Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I worked at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well funded scientists; salaries are very high

Cons

Administrative leadership is petty and has run off talented scientists and managers. Leadership is focused on maintaining their positions throughout mergers and diminishing others.

Advice to Management

Focus on scientists and facilitating research, stop acting like mean girls. Make things happen instead of promoting your own agendas.

5. "Pleasant experience"

Former Employee - Payroll in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Payroll in Dallas, TX

I worked at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. I had a good manager and coworkers. Lots of OT which is nice on a paycheck. Relaxed environment.

Cons

Late nights when there is a glitch in the system. Can be tedious and always changing so hard to remember all the new rules.

Advice to Management

Maybe hire a few more people (even part time) to do the simplest jobs and allows the FTEs focus on complex tickets and not stay til 8pm.

6. "Patient Service Rep"

Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Patient Service Representative in Dallas, TX

Pros

They care about the patient health An wellbeing, they keep the patient happy an satisfied

Cons

Great company no complaints

Advice to Management

N/A

7. "Lack of respect"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time

Pros

Pay is decent and the people you work with are decent.

Cons

For a health company, the health insurance is terrible! There is also a terrible lack of respect from management. They have no idea how to run a company.

Advice to Management

1. Respect your employees. If a vacation is planned, leave the employees alone when they're on vacation. The point of getting away from work is to get away from work. My cell phone and email are off for a reason!
    2. When you decide to fire everybody that knows the old process and you haven't changed to a new process yet, expect there to be some growing pains.
    3. THINK BEFORE YOU LEAP!
    4. Respect! Did I say that before?

8. "pharmacy technician"

Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Certified Pharmacy Technician in Dallas, TX

I worked at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

learn a lot, meet friendly people, you will become like family

Cons

insurance go up every year

"Analyst"

Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Dallas, TX

Pros

When I started 5 years ago I loved it. People were friendly and helpful.

Cons

Now I just want out. New mgmt has become too concerned about the bottom line. Employees are not valued at all. Now it's all about the almighty dollar.

Advice to Management

Wake up before it's too late.

10. "Baylor is a good place to work"

Current Employee - Lab Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Lab Specialist in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Baylor Scott & White Health full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent work environment, health coverage and compensation.

Cons

While the pros listed above are decent, they could be a lot better. Network infrastructure does not meet the needs of the research department.

Advice to Management

Provide better health coverage, retirement plan and update network infrastructure. The performance review system is not fair. A 360 performance review would be more appropriate.