Baynote Reviews | Glassdoor

Bill Hustad

1. "Good experience"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

Pros

It was a good experience as my first job. Learnt a lot.

Cons

Small period for to judge cons. The management was going under lot of changes.

"Turnover, Bureaucracy and Hypocrisy"

Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Solutions Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at Baynote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location is ideal if you live in the South Bay. There was a time when the culture was really great. Core platform could be very competitive. Dario and Max who head the Engineering team are very solid and capable leaders. Some of the staff on PSO are really great and smart people.

Cons

The management is literally sinking this ship. Every quarter the team gets smaller and smaller. They spin bad news better than Fox. Millions in lost revenue over the past few years. Major drama with key hires and tons of gossip and gamesmanship. You have to have a thick skin or incredible patience to endure here. In such a competitive job market it insane how little they pay, offer in benefits and poorly they manage their staff. Very much a blame environment. Never believe anything management promises you unless it is in writing.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent. People come to work at a startup understanding that there are risks. Be more forthcoming with all the nitty gritty details from finances to personnel moves. Trust that people will make the right decision to stay or leave regardless of the tone of the news.

Be more nimble. It has always bothered me that Baynote is 50 people, but moves like IBM. Other startups run rings around us by removing unnecessary process and red tape. Drop the lease, the bureaucracy, and hyper security. Move to a shared space and work like new graduates wanting to change the world.

Be people first. From some of the more frustrating hiring decisions that have been made, to managers that marginalize people because you're not a "morning person", acting like Oscar the Grouch, or micro managing into oblivion; all make for a terrible work environment. If you hired them, trust them, teach them and empower them to succeed.

"No point working here"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Baynote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very smart people. Great culture.

Cons

Terrible management. Pay is really bad.

"Glad Im Gone"

I worked at Baynote full-time

Pros

Coworkers are good and smart, work hard.

Cons

Management is pretty bad. Couple friends are thinking about quitting already. Office is not normal. Furniture is broken up. A lot of layoffs. Seems like layoffs ever couple months.

Advice to Management

Basically I think you can get rid of managers that dont do anything but go to meetings.

6. "Fantastic company!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Baynote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Smart people-no really, I mean it. Great executive team. Fun social events. On-site (nice) gym with showers. Technology is very cool..customers actually $ee the uplift in sales. Open and collaborative atmosphere-- a start-up feel with just the right amount of processes and procedures.

Cons

Office location was too far away from my home.

Advice to Management

Keep up the transparency..the employees feel valued and informed. Employees like the Brown bag lunches with the executives, they should be offered a few times a month.

7. "More opportunity needed"

Current Employee - Employee in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Employee in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Baynote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pay is higher than average.

Cons

Recent reviews rated people very low even for outstanding performers and raises were smaller than previous years.

Advice to Management

Give managers more power over their teams. Decrease pay for bad performers and increase it for good ones.

8. "Highly Intelligent and Friendly Group"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Wokring at Baynote has been one of the best experiences in my professional career. The caliber of the employees is impressive. I get to work with some of the brightest people in the Valley who have a unique combination of great intelligence and friendliness that you just don't see every day in the Software Industry. Everyone is very approachable from the Admins to the CEO. I've definitely found a second home here and would recommend friends/colleagues here in a heartbeat.

Cons

None- I mean it's still a job, of course I'd rather be outside : )

Advice to Management

Keep up the open communication. Really feel like a part of what's happening.

"Beware of any company with high turnover and noticeable dysfunctional"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

Overall your coworkers in every department are the only reason to stay at Baynote. A couple managers are fantastic and their teams are loyal to them and those managers protect their teams from the negativity.

Cons

Lots of finger pointing, no communication or unity, management trash talks everyone, engineering team is understaffed, high turnover, more VPs or C level managers than staff who don't even know employees names. Demoralizing atmosphere is the hardest to deal with.

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees and stop hiring executives who treat everyone on the second floor as a second class citizen.

10. "It has been a great learning experience but has been challenging from a balance and a satisfaction point of view."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

The technology, the people and the future of the company are impressive. I absolutely believe that Baynote will make it.

Cons

Employee moral and work/life balance are not a priority. They have a tendency to burn out their key employees.

Leadership is great at making a decision and defining a strategy but they are terrible at sticking to those decisions and accepting the consequences.

Advice to Management

Please balance your departments so that key decisions are made as a group and not by a particular department that then gets changed a month later.

11. "Love the people, great management-innovative, creative forward thinkers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

New CEO, COO /VP of Sales - changing how we do business. Great vibe - making waves the competition wont even see coming....

Cons

Not located in Santana Row, need a gym and shower facilities. Need more choices in the break room. Too much junk food, not enough healthy snacks.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication coming. It makes the team work harder when we all know what's on the path in front of us.