Bazaarvoice Reviews in Austin, TX | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin
Gene Austin

Pros
  • Work from home and flexible work hour (in 24 reviews)

• BV truly understands the importance of work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to assert your own work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• I get no face time with senior leadership, and as a result, I never get rewarded the way a "real" employee would (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I 💜 BV!"

Current Employee - Client Services in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Services in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been a BV'er for over two years now and I love working here just as much as I did on my first day. Like every company, we are constantly going through change. The Execs are transparent about what the company is trying to do and I appreciate that. Love my team. I have the best VPs, managers and teammates I could ask for. My ideas and opinion are respected. As for the company itself, great culture, we celebrate our achievements, BV offers a competitive salary with room for growth, excellent benefits, flexible hours with work from home options. BV truly understands the importance of work-life balance. I could never go back to the old school management style of the corporate world.

Cons

We all work hard and play hard. When it's time to work, we get it done, even if that means working on the weekends or in the late evening sometimes. This doesn't happen often, but it's a trade off for having so much flexibility.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you for keeping all of us moving forward. #OTOD

2. "Remote Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Once established can work remotely from anywhere with internet access.

Cons

Pay is not great, little communication with corporate. Feels like an independent contractor

Advice to Management

More interaction with remote workers (information about how the company works, product development, how company functions outside of the remote groups).

3. "Fine for a part time, work from home job."

Former Employee - Moderator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Moderator in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice part-time (More than a year)

Pros

work from home, constant feedback, liked the supervising staff

Cons

hours were not flexible, work was "graded" by others at your level and there was no way to change their scoring of your work

"Wolf in sheeps clothing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Love the building, nice to have snacks provided. There is a great deal if talent and hard working people, especially the engineers.

Cons

Department Managers lack training, hence high turnover. This company does not value it's employees. Think twice before going to work for them.

Advice to Management

Better training on department level, this is why so many people are still leaving the company.

6. "Great company who has come out of a bad valley and is working it's way back up the mountain"

Current Employee - Client Success Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Success Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First, the client list is amazing. Sure, there's some difficult clients to attend to, but the work many of my clients are doing and their cooperation with our recommendations is unreal. We get to be a part of really great work and truly get to partner with our clients. It helps that our products provide real value to clients and truly aren't a passing fad.

The people are amazing (with rare exceptions). I'm always amazed by my teammates, and I feel like people have my back.

The managers I've had during most of my time have been incredible (transparent, truly invested in my growth, and never micro-managing). Leadership trusts people to do their job--including offering a great telecommuting policy and allowing people to work alternate hours to accommodate Austin traffic and general life needs. Our vacation policy is incredible (as long as you don't abuse it, it's "unlimited"). Essentially, if you act like an adult, you get treated like an adult.

I truly believe in the vision that the ELT has put together. We have amazing data based on people's actual shopping habits, and I think that will provide incredible value to our clients moving forward (and ultimately provide better, more relevant advertising experiences and personalization for consumers).

Cons

While we've grown a lot in our ability to work across departments/teams, there still can be a lot of frustration with it at times. Usually, it comes down to specific people (especially leaders who don't set a good tone for their team) than full departments.

The company was slow to recognize the need to expand on it's core products. When I first started, the goal was to expand by adding other SaaS products (some of which just felt like add-ons). Since then, the company has caught onto the value of providing more managed services to clients and capitalizing on the amazing treasure chest of shopper data we have. We should have been ahead of it, but I think a lot of progress and innovation was slowed by BV's issues with the Department of Justice a few years ago. After replacing all of the old/original leadership whose hubris led us astray, Gene and the current ELT have built a good vision. Regardless, we should be in the position we're in now 1-2 years ago.

Advice to Management

Move on from mid-level leaders who aren't performing and aren't team players.

"First class R&D org"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked in several teams at Bazaarvoice, and the engineers have only gotten better and better. The teams are smart and collaborative. Folks are genuinely interested in achieving common goals, no ego-battles. The engineers are creative; they enjoy participating in design. These folks are a joy to work with. Also, is there isn't elitism. If you're a junior person, but you have a good idea, folks recognize it. It's such a great, trusting environment where ideas can be shared.

If you are hoping to develop your career, I'd say that engineering has the most developed career path. You can work your way from intern to principle. Product Management is next in line. There is associate, staff, senior, group, director, and VP. However, I think PM is kind of flattening a bit; most everyone is senior. Design is the least developed, with just senior, lead, and director. Historically, there has not been an entry-level opportunity on the UX team.

Cons

UX / product design at Bazaarvoice has been somewhat neglected the past 4 years or so. We had an excellent director that left around 2013, and Bazaarvoice was extremely slow to hire his replacement. The team was so desperate for a leader and mentor, they made a couple very bad hiring decisions in a row. The team was demoralized by overly aggressive, insecure management. Right now the team is leaderless again, so the designers are without a mentor or representation or a plan for growth. Although the position is posted, there doesn't seem to be much urgency around the hire.

Advice to Management

Bazaarvoice's company culture is precious. Never take it for granted, and continue to honor it in hiring decisions.

8. "Sales Intern"

Former Intern - Sales Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Sales Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice people
    - Casual Dress
    - Great learning experience

Cons

Sometimes got lost in the mix

Advice to Management

More Field STUDY

"Crap / Junk / Trash"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People with cheap mentality can survive.

Cons

Cultish and crap organization. Looks like will have a great downfall in coming years.

Advice to Management

Get rid of fakers in the higher management.

10. "Cool Place to Work"

Current Intern - Intern in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Intern in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great office and laid back vibe.

Cons

Not super approachable, no check ins, no real timeline given on project

Advice to Management

Increase interaction

"Texan Tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of the tangible things are amazing - building, location, snacks. There are beautiful TVs in every meeting room, sometimes 4 70" sets so everyone can see. Great co-workers and a set of products which are second to none! The in-house Whole Foods usually has some great options, and stepping out for lunch near the Domain, Arboretum, and Arbor Walk areas means plenty of choice. Compensation is closer to the top end for most positions, as I think BV doesn't have the brand recognition of Apple, Google, Facebook and others, while competing for the same level of talent. Everyone here strives to "make it work" and I usually feel like the whole company embraces the mantra of "one team, one dream."

Cons

It can be alienating if you're not cut from the same cloth. BV is certainly a younger company, and there can be generational friction sometimes. If you're a recovering alcoholic, I'm sure the constant reminders of free beer and widespread appreciation of alcohol would be difficult. The company culture is such that we are quick to celebrate our successes but failures tend to only filter through the grapevine.

Advice to Management

You've built a wonderful, modern presence in a key area of town. That's the clearest sign of the maturing company. Next steps should involve an increased focus on process, and a willingness to step back from problems and talk about them authentically. Don't be scared of challenges from your employees. We don't think less of you for taking hard questions, but we do question leadership when it seems your message is polished to the point of being so inoffensive it's bland or useless.