Bazaarvoice Reviews | Glassdoor

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin
Gene Austin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You need to assert your own work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• I get no face time with senior leadership, and as a result, I never get rewarded the way a "real" employee would (in 9 reviews)

"Advertising AE"

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time

Pros

cool culture if you're at HQ in Austin, but if you're in a remote office it's very removed from that and it much less friendly. SaaS product is solid, clients see that value.

Cons

Tons of turnover w/ mgmt (I had 4 mgrs in one year) so zero consistency with team direction, goals, or feedback or even product positioning. The Ad product isn't robust enough to sell, advertisers want more than just data and desktop banners. Tons of emergency forecasting meetings and fire drills around saving face on wall street. The $ isn't enough for the constant stress and BS to put up with.

Advice to Management

don't lean on the ad biz to save the company

"Potential squandered by lack of leadership"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There used to be some smart people there. Emphasis on "used to be."

Cons

No longer smart people there. Ridiculously poor leadership. Zero vision.

Advice to Management

Try to sucker someone into buying the company quickly before it loses all semblance of value.

"Circus Act"

Current Employee - Client Care Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Care Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Culture, Whole Foods and Vacation Policy

Cons

Working on the Front Door (Client Care) is like riding a roller coaster. Your day is based off the emotions of the manager and you can be tossed to the side in a second - even with the best numbers. Favorites are played and friends are lost. Manager has fooled everyone into thinking they are capable, but just sits in the office and gossips. Manager gives false hopes to getting promoted, but takes credit even when you're the one who put in the work.

Advice to Management

1. Focus more of facts and be more consistent. 2. Get a pulse on your team.

"Average"

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time

Pros

Nice Parking
    Good People
    free snacks
    Good culture

Cons

Bad structure
    Bad benefits
    Very corporate

5. "Great people, but often rudderless management"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Bazaarvoice as a contractor

Pros

The people are fantastic to work with--friendly, helpful, and excited to be part of the team. There's a great deal of enthusiasm, particularly among the development team. All of the usual perks that go with software companies these days: meals, stocked kitchenettes, group outings, etc.

Cons

Projects and employees came and went without any warning. I frequently would be told to go talk to a developer about a project, and find they'd left the company weeks or months before! At the time, management seemed more concerned with appearances than sticking to an objective.

Advice to Management

Find a direction and stick to it.

"unforgiving"

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can work this job around other activities and family life.

Cons

As this job is purely performance driven there is no leniency towards personal matters. After every summer my pay grade drops to a couple more mistakes due to kids being home. So the pro above is also the con. Pay is already very low as it is. Company expects 100% commitment and concentration at all times which is unrealistic while working from home. This only applies to the large work force working from home. It appears that people working in house work hard, but they have a great social aspect and get all kinds of freebies and benefits that the larger part of the work force, which is remote, is being excluded from. Careerwise this is a dead end job, too. No way to move to another position while being remote.

Advice to Management

Seriously? In my long tenure with this company things have only gotten worse for the remote team. Expectations keep going up, but rewards don't. Tenure bonus/gift of $125 is now taxable and the $5 Amazon gift card for birthdays has gone away. What is the inhouse team sacrificing or getting taken away?

Bazaarvoice Response

Aug 23, 2016 – VP, Content Integrity & Insights

Thank you for your years of moderation with Bazaarvoice and for taking the time to write a review. Bazaarvoice’s content analyst positions are exceptional part-time, work from home opportunities... More

"Syndication Analyst"

Former Employee - Syndication Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Syndication Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bazaarvoice has an established telecommuting staff.

Cons

The pay is extremely poor for this position. You could make as much working at the grocery store. This is labeled as an Analyst position, but there's not a whole lot of analyzing going on. It's more like a technician position. For a position that requires computer literacy, the pay is just much too low. It needs to be $15/hour minimum.

Advice to Management

The leadership emphasized that "communication is key" in a telecommuting position, but this was not what happened in practice. They seemed to get annoyed with any communication from me (even a single email). Made me feel like I had too many questions. There were two occasions where leadership thought I had made a mistake in my work, but it turns out that I was correct. The leadership group definitely did NOT like that; they made me feel like any communication from me was talking back to them.

"A paycheck, not much else"

Current Employee - Content Analyst in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time (More than a year)

Pros

ability to work remotely
    can set own schedule (within reason)

Cons

management abrupt and unapproachable
    lack of recourse when issues occur
    lack of inclusiveness for remote employees
    low wages for work
    no opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

Begin treating your remote employees like members of the so-called family. Try to find ways to include them in the culture. Receiving an invitation to an event in Austin, TX when I'm based out of my home hundreds of miles away is kind of an out of touch slap in the face.

"Company is slipping"

Former Employee - Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy and no vacation policy

Cons

Strict process policy, department re-orgs, lack of long-term vision, and poor investment decisions

Advice to Management

Get your s#!t together. You had a great culture and happy employees, but good people wont stay if you continue to manage them poorly and stock continues to plummet. You have a great product, but there must be a long-term vision in order to sustain the business.

Bazaarvoice Response

Jun 17, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your review as a former BV employee. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed our autonomy and vacation policy when you were here. Bazaarvoice is a company undergoing a transformation. Instead of... More

"Company with a prospective future as an innovator, brand leader and creative talent overshadowed by poor management."

Former Contractor - Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Contractor - Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

-Meet and work with incredibly talented people
    -Flexibility in work schedule (in office/remote/work from home)
    -Be a part of a SaaS company that has arguably interesting and innovative products/services

Cons

-Uncertainty about what kind of leader you're going to get. (Don't know whether your leadership is going to help you thrive or set you back a few years. People are always leaving their jobs, thus department and team structures are always shifting on a rapid scale.)
    -Blatant office politics. (People, usually leadership, manipulating their way to a bigger paycheck/recognition no matter the consequences, workplace gossip and bullying.)
    -Feel undervalued and over qualified as an employee and/or intern. (Work doesn't stay challenging, lack of true mentors among leadership.)
    -Schizophrenic work environment. Some teams have optimal, healthy, collaborative teams while others are not so lucky.

Advice to Management

Take a deep look at the kind of managers and leaders you hire and how they treat their teams. Listen to what team members have to say and how they feel. Ask yourself why so many good, talented and exceptional people are leaving Bazaarvoice.