Bazaarvoice Reviews | Glassdoor

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin
Gene Austin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • You need to assert your own work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• I get no face time with senior leadership, and as a result, I never get rewarded the way a "real" employee would (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I 💜 BV!"

Current Employee - Client Services in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Services in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been a BV'er for over two years now and I love working here just as much as I did on my first day. Like every company, we are constantly going through change. The Execs are transparent about what the company is trying to do and I appreciate that. Love my team. I have the best VPs, managers and teammates I could ask for. My ideas and opinion are respected. As for the company itself, great culture, we celebrate our achievements, BV offers a competitive salary with room for growth, excellent benefits, flexible hours with work from home options. BV truly understands the importance of work-life balance. I could never go back to the old school management style of the corporate world.

Cons

We all work hard and play hard. When it's time to work, we get it done, even if that means working on the weekends or in the late evening sometimes. This doesn't happen often, but it's a trade off for having so much flexibility.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Thank you for keeping all of us moving forward. #OTOD

2. "Great Company"

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time

Pros

flexible schedule, remote working

Cons

no cons since i've been working

3. "The best company you could work for"

Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Operations Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. Open communication between management and employees - This company does a great job of having weekly 1x1 meetings to discuss your progression in the company. Managers have an open door policy and are easily approachable if you have any issues.
    2. Excellent culture - BV is like working at Facebook or Google! There are global meetings monthly to keep you updated on the status of the company. There's a Whole Foods Express with decent menu options and there are even beer kegs on every floor as long as you're responsible! This place definitely is a self-starting culture, so as long as you work hard, you can enjoy little subtle things you don't get anywhere else. Casual dress, ping pong, even having a margarita at your desk!
    3. Work Life Balance - The PTO offering here is more flexible than any other PTO set up that I've seen in my 14 years of experience. So feel free to take that day off when you need it, or WFH when you need it, but just like everything in life, don't get carried away and take 2 weeks off a month. That's not acceptable.
    4. Career growth - This place has excellent career growth opportunities and lateral movement opportunities. They promote from within, so if you are in one position and see an opportunity on another team, go for it! Also, a lot of career fields at BV allow for growth within that same team. So if you come in with the right attitude and work hard, you won't be stagnant.
    5. NO MICRO MANAGEMENT. Again, this is based on your work ethic, but if you work hard and do what's asked of you, no one is going to be over your shoulder. If you want to come in a little later in the mornings, that's fine, just make sure your work doesn't suffer and you don't miss any meetings.

Seriously, if you come in here and have an excellent work ethic along with a team player attitude, you will love every second here. If you come in with a close minded attitude and not being a team player, this definitely isn't the company for you.

Cons

1. There are very minor office politics here, but this isn't anything to be alarmed about as this happens anywhere you go. The best thing to do with this is understand what represents an actual issue versus individual people that you may have difficulty in getting along with. Overall, the open door policy with your managers helps combat this. Just be fair in your assessment of any situations, and trust your managers.
    2. Lack of defined processes. This is also being "nitpicky" but sometimes there aren't definitive processes in place for certain things. So navigating an environment of ambiguity is sometimes necessary. I don't consider this a bad thing since it means you can take initiative and define those processes.
    3. Sometimes company growth can stall if they don't meet certain budget requirements. This is self explanatory and doesn't happen often at all, but I can see how it could be a concern to some people.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Keep your open door policy and keep taking care of your employees!

4. "Great place, lots of freedom"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong management, very transparent culture, great cross departmental collaboration.

Cons

Whole Foods in the office isn't great

5. "Great"

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome coworker, office and cafe

Cons

could be Traffic in north Austin

6. "Great place to work"

Current Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-great culture
    -interesting work
    -everyone is friendly and easy to work with
    -cool office with snacks

Cons

-location of office

can't think of anything else in particular, it's not perfect, but still a glad I'm here

7. "Great at-home work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent schedule, helpful and attentive supervisors.

Cons

Too many clients/changing clients to remember all guidelines accurately.

8. "Remote Team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible hours. Once established can work remotely from anywhere with internet access.

Cons

Pay is not great, little communication with corporate. Feels like an independent contractor

Advice to Management

More interaction with remote workers (information about how the company works, product development, how company functions outside of the remote groups).

"Great company who has come out of a bad valley and is working it's way back up the mountain"

Current Employee - Client Success Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Success Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First, the client list is amazing. Sure, there's some difficult clients to attend to, but the work many of my clients are doing and their cooperation with our recommendations is unreal. We get to be a part of really great work and truly get to partner with our clients. It helps that our products provide real value to clients and truly aren't a passing fad.

The people are amazing (with rare exceptions). I'm always amazed by my teammates, and I feel like people have my back.

The managers I've had during most of my time have been incredible (transparent, truly invested in my growth, and never micro-managing). Leadership trusts people to do their job--including offering a great telecommuting policy and allowing people to work alternate hours to accommodate Austin traffic and general life needs. Our vacation policy is incredible (as long as you don't abuse it, it's "unlimited"). Essentially, if you act like an adult, you get treated like an adult.

I truly believe in the vision that the ELT has put together. We have amazing data based on people's actual shopping habits, and I think that will provide incredible value to our clients moving forward (and ultimately provide better, more relevant advertising experiences and personalization for consumers).

Cons

While we've grown a lot in our ability to work across departments/teams, there still can be a lot of frustration with it at times. Usually, it comes down to specific people (especially leaders who don't set a good tone for their team) than full departments.

The company was slow to recognize the need to expand on it's core products. When I first started, the goal was to expand by adding other SaaS products (some of which just felt like add-ons). Since then, the company has caught onto the value of providing more managed services to clients and capitalizing on the amazing treasure chest of shopper data we have. We should have been ahead of it, but I think a lot of progress and innovation was slowed by BV's issues with the Department of Justice a few years ago. After replacing all of the old/original leadership whose hubris led us astray, Gene and the current ELT have built a good vision. Regardless, we should be in the position we're in now 1-2 years ago.

Advice to Management

Move on from mid-level leaders who aren't performing and aren't team players.

10. "Sales Intern"

Former Intern - Sales Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Intern - Sales Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice people
    - Casual Dress
    - Great learning experience

Cons

Sometimes got lost in the mix

Advice to Management

More Field STUDY