Bazaarvoice Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No trust of senior leadership of the department (in 8 reviews)

• High turnover of employees in many areas (in 7 reviews)

"Average"

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time

Pros

Nice Parking
    Good People
    free snacks
    Good culture

Cons

Bad structure
    Bad benefits
    Very corporate

"Great company who has come out of a bad valley and is working it's way back up the mountain"

Current Employee - Client Success Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Success Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First, the client list is amazing. Sure, there's some difficult clients to attend to, but the work many of my clients are doing and their cooperation with our recommendations is unreal. We get to be a part of really great work and truly get to partner with our clients. It helps that our products provide real value to clients and truly aren't a passing fad.

The people are amazing (with rare exceptions). I'm always amazed by my teammates, and I feel like people have my back.

The managers I've had during most of my time have been incredible (transparent, truly invested in my growth, and never micro-managing). Leadership trusts people to do their job--including offering a great telecommuting policy and allowing people to work alternate hours to accommodate Austin traffic and general life needs. Our vacation policy is incredible (as long as you don't abuse it, it's "unlimited"). Essentially, if you act like an adult, you get treated like an adult.

I truly believe in the vision that the ELT has put together. We have amazing data based on people's actual shopping habits, and I think that will provide incredible value to our clients moving forward (and ultimately provide better, more relevant advertising experiences and personalization for consumers).

Cons

While we've grown a lot in our ability to work across departments/teams, there still can be a lot of frustration with it at times. Usually, it comes down to specific people (especially leaders who don't set a good tone for their team) than full departments.

The company was slow to recognize the need to expand on it's core products. When I first started, the goal was to expand by adding other SaaS products (some of which just felt like add-ons). Since then, the company has caught onto the value of providing more managed services to clients and capitalizing on the amazing treasure chest of shopper data we have. We should have been ahead of it, but I think a lot of progress and innovation was slowed by BV's issues with the Department of Justice a few years ago. After replacing all of the old/original leadership whose hubris led us astray, Gene and the current ELT have built a good vision. Regardless, we should be in the position we're in now 1-2 years ago.

Advice to Management

Move on from mid-level leaders who aren't performing and aren't team players.

"First class R&D org"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've worked in several teams at Bazaarvoice, and the engineers have only gotten better and better. The teams are smart and collaborative. Folks are genuinely interested in achieving common goals, no ego-battles. The engineers are creative; they enjoy participating in design. These folks are a joy to work with. Also, is there isn't elitism. If you're a junior person, but you have a good idea, folks recognize it. It's such a great, trusting environment where ideas can be shared.

If you are hoping to develop your career, I'd say that engineering has the most developed career path. You can work your way from intern to principle. Product Management is next in line. There is associate, staff, senior, group, director, and VP. However, I think PM is kind of flattening a bit; most everyone is senior. Design is the least developed, with just senior, lead, and director. Historically, there has not been an entry-level opportunity on the UX team.

Cons

UX / product design at Bazaarvoice has been somewhat neglected the past 4 years or so. We had an excellent director that left around 2013, and Bazaarvoice was extremely slow to hire his replacement. The team was so desperate for a leader and mentor, they made a couple very bad hiring decisions in a row. The team was demoralized by overly aggressive, insecure management. Right now the team is leaderless again, so the designers are without a mentor or representation or a plan for growth. Although the position is posted, there doesn't seem to be much urgency around the hire.

Advice to Management

Bazaarvoice's company culture is precious. Never take it for granted, and continue to honor it in hiring decisions.

"Crap / Junk / Trash"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People with cheap mentality can survive.

Cons

Cultish and crap organization. Looks like will have a great downfall in coming years.

Advice to Management

Get rid of fakers in the higher management.

"Texan Tech"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of the tangible things are amazing - building, location, snacks. There are beautiful TVs in every meeting room, sometimes 4 70" sets so everyone can see. Great co-workers and a set of products which are second to none! The in-house Whole Foods usually has some great options, and stepping out for lunch near the Domain, Arboretum, and Arbor Walk areas means plenty of choice. Compensation is closer to the top end for most positions, as I think BV doesn't have the brand recognition of Apple, Google, Facebook and others, while competing for the same level of talent. Everyone here strives to "make it work" and I usually feel like the whole company embraces the mantra of "one team, one dream."

Cons

It can be alienating if you're not cut from the same cloth. BV is certainly a younger company, and there can be generational friction sometimes. If you're a recovering alcoholic, I'm sure the constant reminders of free beer and widespread appreciation of alcohol would be difficult. The company culture is such that we are quick to celebrate our successes but failures tend to only filter through the grapevine.

Advice to Management

You've built a wonderful, modern presence in a key area of town. That's the clearest sign of the maturing company. Next steps should involve an increased focus on process, and a willingness to step back from problems and talk about them authentically. Don't be scared of challenges from your employees. We don't think less of you for taking hard questions, but we do question leadership when it seems your message is polished to the point of being so inoffensive it's bland or useless.

"Can help."

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

You can manage your work time easily. Good training.

Cons

-Low pay
    -Not really room for improvement
    -terribly repetitive

7. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

great people, culture and benefits

Cons

things change when you get bigger and not right for all people.

Advice to Management

Keep it up!

"Disaster"

Current Employee - Client Care Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Client Care Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cool office, PTO, good parking

Cons

Client Care management is untrustworthy, manipulative, and a culture killer. The team is overworked and under appreciated. This is what happens when you promote folks with no relevant management experience, or bring in your boy's club buddies even if they're a bad fit.

Advice to Management

Survey your team about their leaders. These people are organizational poison.

Bazaarvoice Response

Jan 3, 2017 – Senior Vice President of Client Services

Thanks for taking the time to write a review. We take our manager performance seriously. In just the last six months preceding your review, we have, in fact, done 360 reviews of our client care... More

"Love working here!"

Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, laid back people, competitive pay, thorough training, client-obsessed, fantastic product, wonderful benefits!

Cons

The office is in north Austin, it's a little inconvenient if you live further south. Can feel a little slow at the beginning between the end of training and the ramp up of work.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on hiring good people! I love working here for many reason, but great colleagues is a big part of it!

"Great Place to Work"

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time

Pros

Great people and place to work

Cons

Hard to move up and some favoritism