Bazaarvoice Reviews | Glassdoor

Bazaarvoice Reviews

Updated February 14, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • You need to assert your own work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• I get no face time with senior leadership, and as a result, I never get rewarded the way a "real" employee would (in 9 reviews)

"Progressing...SLOWLY"

Pros

Generous compensation, new key hires that want progress. Strong product, support and customer groups. Extremely smart engineers. CEO is very engaged and understands what needs to be done.

Cons

Misguided "I think this will work" leadership. Inability to complete anything. Engineers are overpaid and led to believe they run the show. Unfortunately, that leads to large, over-engineered solutions with no affect on business goals. Ignored client requests to focus on core products and instead the focus has been on an untested, unknown user market with shopper advertising. That path has caused every other part of the business to suffer. Its basically a Convio club and if you arent formerly an employee of that company, you arent given any opportunities to succeed. Too much Ra-Ra leadership and not enough accountability. CEO is not told the realities.

Advice to Management

Listen to the experience of those you hired. Remove the fear and become the industry leader you are. Stop guessing and letting engineers make all the decisions. When every engineer is labeled a 'top performer' yet nothing ever gets to clients, reexamine why that is. Build accountability in the teams. Open culture is a joke. Its open as long as you agree.

"Have grown to love it!"

Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Enterprise Account Executive in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company as unique culture, family atmosphere, and a great energy. The leadership, especially in sales up through our CRO and CEO, is excellent and that's always the factor I look at first.
    They company is evolving in the right direction. As a matter of fact, the company has evolved a tremendous amount in my 3 years. It is more fluid than any company I have worked for in the past.
    They are investing in the right areas, as willing to pull back on initiatives that did not pan out, and in that sense they are working a grand experiment, albeit a well-informed one.

Cons

At first I was a little wary because I felt a bit like an outsider. However, the (very) few people that contributed to that have since left the business and BV is now stacked with a welcoming vibe.
    For my role in particular, sales do not rain from the sky. Every battle is hard fought, emotionally draining at times, and complex. That's both a con and pro I suppose, but the bottom line is you have to be a true sales person to succeed. By that I mean someone who appreciates and understands the craft of sales, someone that sees it as a career, not a job. For those people, BV is a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Be a bit more transparent in the true expectations for a new program, as opposed to telling employees that it's going to be an overnight game-changer and then secretly admitting that it will be an arduous process of change, course correction, and evolution.

"Flexible, Friendly but Highly Results Driven"

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Friendly, provides in-depth training some of the best remote training I've experienced so far.

Cons

My role requires absolutely constant, fingers glued to the keyboard typing for hours so I worry a little bit about that for my wrists...Also this is not a job for those who are not highly results driven, and you must remain very alert after reading hundreds of reviews in order to stay under their "failure" rating (aka max amount of mistakes allowed to make).

Advice to Management

Honestly I more or less knew what I was getting into with this so I can't complain, however I will say the Workday system and timesheet system is not incredibly user friendly. Other systems exist that might be a little more efficient for all parties involved.

"unforgiving"

Current Employee - Content Analyst in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can work this job around other activities and family life.

Cons

As this job is purely performance driven there is no leniency towards personal matters. After every summer my pay grade drops to a couple more mistakes due to kids being home. So the pro above is also the con. Pay is already very low as it is. Company expects 100% commitment and concentration at all times which is unrealistic while working from home. This only applies to the large work force working from home. It appears that people working in house work hard, but they have a great social aspect and get all kinds of freebies and benefits that the larger part of the work force, which is remote, is being excluded from. Careerwise this is a dead end job, too. No way to move to another position while being remote.

Advice to Management

Seriously? In my long tenure with this company things have only gotten worse for the remote team. Expectations keep going up, but rewards don't. Tenure bonus/gift of $125 is now taxable and the $5 Amazon gift card for birthdays has gone away. What is the inhouse team sacrificing or getting taken away?

Bazaarvoice Response

Aug 23, 2016 – VP, Content Integrity & Insights

Thank you for your years of moderation with Bazaarvoice and for taking the time to write a review. Bazaarvoice’s content analyst positions are exceptional part-time, work from home opportunities ... More

"Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Divisional Vice President in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Divisional Vice President in Austin, TX

Pros

Innovative products. Great culture. The business is growing, and our media and SaaS business have a ton of opportunity for sales folks.

Cons

High expectations. But this isn't really a con in my mind. We expect a lot, but it is because there is so much opportunity currently.

7. "Rewarding and Fun"

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

i have worked for bv for almost 4 years. it's a challenging environment, but in a good way. the team really cares about the work that we do and we have a lot of fun doing it. the leadership team has good direction and is open to feedback. there is significant career growth opportunity for good performance, and i have taken advantage of a promotion since i've been here. i also truly believe we have a great vision for the org which motivates me to stay.

Cons

we have a lot of smart people and high performers here. this could be perceived as a con because there is competition to move up. but hey, i'd rather be surrounded by smart people with ambition than not.

Advice to Management

continue to invest in more services that we can offer and continue to believe in us

"Horrible Management"

Former Employee - Moderator in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Moderator in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to work from home

Cons

- low pay
    - unrealistic expectations for new hires
    - management is just...bad
    - disorganized training, irritating/boring training videos
    - no room for advancement
    - remote employees treated very poorly

Advice to Management

Train your managers to be less cold and more receptive to questions and concerns from trainees. Perhaps explain to them that new employees won't know everything immediately and that there is a learning curve. Treating new hires like morons when they have questions about time sheets or when they "dare" to contact tech support when their passwords isn't working doesn't exactly sell your company as employee-friendly.

Bazaarvoice Response

Sep 6, 2016 – VP, Content Integrity & Insights

Thanks for taking the time to write a review as a former employee. As you noted, Bazaarvoice’s moderator positions are great part-time/work from home opportunities and they pay based on performance ... More

9. "Great benefits and place to work"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I am in sales here and if you achieve your numbers you can make a good amount of money. The atmosphere is a open sharing culture with co-workers to leadership to executives

Cons

The internal politics gets in the way at times

10. "3 Years Later and Still Loving BV"

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Bazaarvoice is the first company where I've been able to really lead from whatever position I'm in. Love being able to take initiative, test out new ideas, and make my role my own. The people here are the smartest I've ever worked with... The new office with a Whole Foods on site isn't bad either.

Cons

There have been ups and downs but I'm generally excited about the direction the company is headed.

"Don't stop believing"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Bazaarvoice is a fun place to work, with a great culture and lots of exciting opportunities.

Where else in the world can you develop software that has an impact on a network of more than 500 million users? Only Facebook comes to mind (and yeah, if you can get a job at Facebook do it, their food is better), and LinkedIn is close behind.

Cons

The only thing that sucks is that some people keep getting all the recognition. It's nice and fun to have awards, but if they always go to the same folks (because they are more social and get more nominations) it can be a little bit frustrating for the rest.

Advice to Management

Take care of all the employees, not only the rockstars.