Bazaarvoice Reviews | Glassdoor

Bazaarvoice Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Work from home and flexible work hour (in 24 reviews)

• BV truly understands the importance of work-life balance (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • You need to assert your own work life balance (in 10 reviews)

• I get no face time with senior leadership, and as a result, I never get rewarded the way a "real" employee would (in 9 reviews)

1. "Fun place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time

Pros

Whole Foods, free drinks, fun people, good pay, new office

Cons

layoff, senior leadership, budget, secrecy, re-orgs

"Company is slipping"

Former Employee - Director in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Director in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy and no vacation policy

Cons

Strict process policy, department re-orgs, lack of long-term vision, and poor investment decisions

Advice to Management

Get your s#!t together. You had a great culture and happy employees, but good people wont stay if you continue to manage them poorly and stock continues to plummet. You have a great product, but there must be a long-term vision in order to sustain the business.

Jun 17, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for your review as a former BV employee. We’re glad to hear you enjoyed our autonomy and vacation policy when you were here. Bazaarvoice is a company undergoing a transformation. Instead of ... More

"A paycheck, not much else"

Current Employee - Content Analyst in New Brunswick, NJ
    Current Employee - Content Analyst in New Brunswick, NJ

I have been working at Bazaarvoice part-time (More than a year)

Pros

ability to work remotely
    can set own schedule (within reason)

Cons

management abrupt and unapproachable
    lack of recourse when issues occur
    lack of inclusiveness for remote employees
    low wages for work
    no opportunity for growth

Advice to Management

Begin treating your remote employees like members of the so-called family. Try to find ways to include them in the culture. Receiving an invitation to an event in Austin, TX when I'm based out of my home hundreds of miles away is kind of an out of touch slap in the face.

"Sales Director"

Current Employee - Sales Director in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Director in Austin, TX

Pros

Great culture, un environment, good product!

Cons

Growth YOY is struggling, long on-boarding, but quick to terminate

Advice to Management

Remember we're all human

May 24, 2016 – Chief Revenue Officer

We absolutely are all human.  But we still must perform in order for our company to continue to grow.  The culture at Bazaarvoice is built on our value of performance, so we ensure extensive ... More

"Rocky Road but great culture, assets and the future is bright"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Bazaarvoice team is fun, they are truly an Austin based company in terms of culture. They've built great partnerships with their customers and the company is really well positioned long term.

Cons

Due to some "birth defects" in terms of architecture at the formation of the business and over focus on sales during the first half decade, the company hit some rocky roads but the new management is doing great work to rectify that and get the business growing again.

Advice to Management

Stick with the strategy, don't give up, it feels rough now but long-term the company will be in a better position.

Jun 17, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I appreciate you acknowledging the work we’ve been doing to get focused back on growth versus maintaining the status quo. Keep rooting for us and ... More

"Still a great company...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Regardless of the recent turmoil and struggles, this company can come back! It has a great team, a solid partnership with many enterprise clients and a tremendous development group. It was a baby company that his finding it hard to fit in the corporate world. But I believe it can get there.

Cons

Lack of trust in senior and executive management decisions.

Jun 17, 2016 – CEO

Thanks for writing a review on Bazaarvoice. It’s true that we’ve had some growing pains, but I agree with you that we have incredible opportunity ahead of us. I hope we win you over fully in the ... More

8. "Great People, A Lot of Challenges Ahead"

Former Employee - Sales Director in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Director in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Wonderful People
     - Strong Market Position
     - Great Culture
     - Strong Pay
     - Freedom in your role

Cons

- Lack of Technology Innovation for future markets and products
     - Too many layers of management
     - Somewhat bulky product

Advice to Management

Innovate - and fast. The markets are moving faster than ever. Acquisitions to beef up the product stack could also be a great play.

"Good Company with too many uncertainties"

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks and drinks, decent benefits (compared to others), intelligent people

Cons

I was with BV for almost two years. While I loved the team I worked for since I worked with a bunch of intelligent people, that wasn't enough of a reason to stay. I came on right as the DOJ investigation and suit were ending. Since then, BV has not really been able to recover - financially or culturally. They've never had a profitable year in the 10+ years they've been around and the future doesn't look too encouraging. In the two years I was there, most of the upper level management (C level) staff left and many other upper level managers followed. They laid off the APAC offices and proceeded to lay off even more after my departure. They expect everyone to "drink the kool-aid" and be exactly as they pretend the culture at BV is. The problem is, with all the company struggles and lay-offs and just poor management and communication, very few people actually have faith and hope for the company anymore and there is no culture as a result. You can't force a culture on people. The morale is extremely low and they tried to compensate with a new building in Austin, but it's just a patch for a bigger problem.

Pay is not up to market for any of the Administrative Organizations, Company is very unstable and uncertain about their own future, culture is a facade, management doesn't listen to the employees or any concerns until it hits a breaking point, no real growth potential, lack of faith in or concern for employees - most are overworked and underpaid, management often behaves in inappropriate ways.

Advice to Management

Stop spending unnecessary money and focus on getting the company in shape and rewarding employees for their hard work. If employees don't feel valued and compensated for their work they won't stay. A false culture and shiny new building aren't incentives to employees - company stability, profitability and being part of a team that is rewarded for their hard work are what bring the best talent and retain them.

"Losing it's way"

Former Employee - Syndicated Research Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Syndicated Research Analyst in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice (Less than a year)

Pros

BV has some great plans, ideas and take care of their employees. I was able to work from home on a flex schedule which allowed me to management my household and get paid.

Cons

The company has lost it's way when it went public. The employees became numbers rather then an integral part.

"Contract employee"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

It is a great company to work for. Lots of young, energetic people.

Cons

For remote workers, the pay is not that great.