Bazaarvoice Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

Bazaarvoice CEO, President and Director Gene Austin
Gene Austin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • No trust of senior leadership of the department (in 8 reviews)

• High turnover of employees in many areas (in 7 reviews)

1. "Great place to work"

Current Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

-great culture
    -interesting work
    -everyone is friendly and easy to work with
    -cool office with snacks

Cons

-location of office

can't think of anything else in particular, it's not perfect, but still a glad I'm here

2. "Great Company to work for"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is by far the best place I have worked. The equipment and technologies we work on are cutting edge and we get to work with some of the smartest people in the business. Great work/life balance.

Cons

The healthcare and benefits could be better, but I think thats the way the market is right now.

Advice to Management

Thanks for keeping us engaged and informed. Keep doing what you do.

"Crap / Junk / Trash"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People with cheap mentality can survive.

Cons

Cultish and crap organization. Looks like will have a great downfall in coming years.

Advice to Management

Get rid of fakers in the higher management.

4. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice (More than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, friendly environment, just a fun place to work

Cons

It can be lots of work, but management is good at helping you along the way.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work on supporting your employees

"Don't stop believing"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

Pros

Bazaarvoice is a fun place to work, with a great culture and lots of exciting opportunities.

Where else in the world can you develop software that has an impact on a network of more than 500 million users? Only Facebook comes to mind (and yeah, if you can get a job at Facebook do it, their food is better), and LinkedIn is close behind.

Cons

The only thing that sucks is that some people keep getting all the recognition. It's nice and fun to have awards, but if they always go to the same folks (because they are more social and get more nominations) it can be a little bit frustrating for the rest.

Advice to Management

Take care of all the employees, not only the rockstars.

"Fast pace, flexibility required"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Attend conferences, learn new technologies, cutting edge stuff for Big Data. Very smart people that will make you smarter. Some of them are pretty full of themselves but when you have an egg head it comes with the territory. For the most part people are pretty cool here.

Cons

The company makes a lot of noise about their "culture". Keep in mind this isn't for everyone. I do not want to stay after work eating pizza and playing video games and writing code until 2am for a Hackathon. I have friends I would rather spend my time with and a day job where I write code.

Average age of engineers trends very young. They do a lot of recruiting straight out of colleges and have an intern program.

There is a very fast pace and I don't feel there was always time to do things "the right way". I get it. It's not my style though.

It wasn't made clear to me when I was hired that "on call" duties were required of me. This went on for over a year. Not cool -- please make this apparent to people before they interview for the role.

Advice to Management

Be more clear about expectations for the role (i.e. being on call).

"A very fast-changing, forward-thinking, client-focused company"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible unlimited vacation policy. Work from home and flexible work hour. Great snack selection in San Francisco office. Plenty of good and serious ping pong players to be entertained. Core products are evolving rapidly so there's a lot of rooms for personal development and growth. Bosses are very good listeners and want to listen to employee feedbacks.

Cons

High churn for talented engineers the past year or years. Mostly all the lead roles I have known either wanted to leave, left already or decided to leave then come back. Obviously there's must be some cause to this pattern but I don't have an idea. There's no bonus & recognitions for engineers, especially the highest performing ones so maybe that's why they left for other companies. Some stock options would be nice but it's unheard of.

Advice to Management

Continue to let engineers take the lead. You are doing it, but need to do it more. %20 time projects are good but not many are taking it. There is no better mean of retaining good engineers than letting them own something they are passionate about and giving them the options to growth in the direction they want.

"Lots of good things"

Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunity to get good things done but you may have to chase after things as the company has grown over the last few years. Has one of the best data assets on the planet that is ready for the picking. Really tough engineering challenges that will help you grow and press you. Free food 3 days a week and plenty of beer. Management is in engineering is still very good. One of the best company cultures in town.

Cons

Lots of change recently (especially over the last year). Not enough project managers for the work that needs to be done (this is being worked on however). No big wins recently. Power reviews divestiture still looms a bit. Loss of some really great engineers recently (still plenty around though).

Advice to Management

Talk to your people and get a better understanding of what the day to day challenges are. Lock down a long term strategy/vision.

"Losing the best talent."

Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Bazaarvoice full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging problems, agile environment, friendly coworkers, team outings, snacks/beverages, equipment, ownership.

Cons

Work-life balance, promotions, career growth, lacks [real] 20% support, lacks [real] open sourcing support.

Advice to Management

There was a recent loss of irreplaceable talent. It was a loss of developers you build companies around; it was a loss of developers Bazaarvoice was built around. These were the kinds of minds that attract top talent, grow budding talent, and maintain a rich culture. They were the kinds of guys that invested their hearts in bettering BV's development organization. They were the strong voices in open source, in doing it "the right way", embracing 20% time, and architecting infrastructure the world needs.

My advice: give feedback earlier, create growth and promotion plans, let the top talent venture into the unknown, allow building infrastructure with the intent of open-sourcing (and don't hold back the top talents' desire to open source it). Rethink: why are these people passionate? Suppress their passion and they're out.

"Best internship experience. Got to start a brand new project that got deployed, and is in use after just 2 months"

Current Intern - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Bazaarvoice as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The great things in priority order are the people, the work, the technology, and being able to work remotely even as an intern.
    I learned so much, and the people on my team are really smart and patient.
    The on-boarding process was excellent. We were productive in the 1st of the week of the internship.
    The perks here are amazing: lots of free food, a couple sponsored intern events, and company-wide event/party called All-Hands.

Cons

The only thing that I feel I wanted more of was code reviews.

Advice to Management

Yall are awesome.