BeachMint Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joshua L. Berman

1. "Customer Caer/ Fraud Specialist"

Former Employee - Fraud Specialist in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Fraud Specialist in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at BeachMint (More than a year)

Pros

Great overall culture in the office.

Cons

Customer Experience was not considered completely.

2. "Good company with bad technology leadership"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

Good team, free catered lunch every friday

Cons

Bad technology leadership with focus on few people

Advice to Management

Respect the tech people

3. "Marketing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at BeachMint (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing people to work with

Cons

Never knew what the true end goal was

"Blame culture within Tech"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at BeachMint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, location, and happy hours

Cons

Lack of technical leadership, inability to build a team, old-boys club (favortism), unrealistic goals, lots of over-time, snobby culture, too driven by greed and hype

Advice to Management

Need mature, level-headed leadership top to bottom.

5. "fantastic company to work for"

Current Employee - Business Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Business Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at BeachMint full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company environment, great people, work hard play hard

Cons

there were very little cons. Everything in the office is great

"Agree with Oct 17 - Great Perks, not a great company"

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at BeachMint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Interning at BeachMint was a very interesting experience, but like all jobs, it had it's ups and downs. While I enjoyed working at photo shoots, meeting celebrities, and working with clothing and accessories, I rarely was given tasks that pertained to my job role.

Other pros included a kitchen loaded with goodies, catered food Fridays, an awesome office, and the staff was overall, very friendly.

Cons

The company was hemorrhaging money and once VCs got word, there was a major shake down that included tons of firings and nixing their paid internship program. There were also major internal politics and a definitely "Frat-like" party culture (yes, the rumors are true).

I also didn't like oscillating between being severely underused to being majorly overworked, or getting mind-numbing tasks dumped on me so others could leave early on a Friday or skip out early for Coachella weekend.

Lastly, it doesn't seem like the company's business model is sustainable, so if you're looking for a long-term opportunity, you may want to look elsewhere.

"Overtime not worth it. Rewarded based on who you are buddies with."

Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at BeachMint full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get free snacks and food.

Cons

No personal growth, less-than-mediocre benefits, only those buddies with the founder matter, too much over-time work, condescending "leaders" that think they are so great, unrealisitic expectations, unsuccessful

Advice to Management

Evaluate everyone fairly including those in management and leadership

"You can't be a start up forever..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at BeachMint full-time

Pros

-Location is near the beach.

Cons

-There is little to no growth opportunity (they tend to consolidate duties/positions as much as possible)
    -Unorganized
    -Unqualified people so nothing gets done right
    -Voice/suggestions are not heard unless something goes wrong

Advice to Management

Hire more people that actually have retail experience. Listen to your employees and be proactive in all aspects.

Listen to your employees and treat people (in every department, whether hourly or salary) fairly.

"Growing company, growing pains"

Former Employee - Jewelmint Ambassador/Stylist in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Jewelmint Ambassador/Stylist in Cincinnati, OH

Pros

Fun, fast fashion, opportunity to build your own business, lots of publicity for the product. It was a fun and inspiring place to work with other women, building a business together with lots of support from lower management and other Ambassadors. Opportunity to be creative in a fashion forward field, building relationships in my own community. Selling a product I was already a fan of, turning an existing passion for a product into a profitable business.

Cons

After joining the company as an ambassador in January 2012, I started planning/hosting trunk shows for the company in February of 2012. While I was provided a free 10 piece jewelry kit and "customer cards", very little else was given as far as guidance and Jewelmint branded promotional merchandise, even for purchase. Having already owned my own business, I had tools enough to go into my trunk show without feeling stressed, and chalked it up to the company being new and having some growing pains.
       I was willing to give it a try for a while, give Beachmint/Jewelmint a chance to grow up with the hopes that getting in on the ground floor would provide me with opportunity and advantage. In mid to late February, it was announced that on March 1st, Jewelmint would roll out a brand new and improved Ambassador program (called "Stylist" program now) with more opportunity for earning and managing our trunk show business as if we were small business owners. It was generating a-lot of excitement from the Ambassadors who had been there since the beginning.
        The new "Stylist" program soft launched on March 1st, with the complete new program to go into effect by March 13th. Within a couple of days the Ambasador website had been taken down for "construction" if you will. I assumed this was due to the changed happening until I received a phone call on March 7th that the program was being shut down in its entirety, and it was suggested it be shut down that day, but lower management was able to talk the VP into keeping the program open until March 12th. The upper management seemed to give very little thought to what us "little people" on the bottom of the totem pole had contributed to building their brand and name with our boots on the ground. Having already planned and paid for trunk shows and showcases for the month of March (to the tune of about $300) I was pretty much out of luck on the money already spent. In addition, I had yet to be paid for any of the sales I had generated so far.
       It is now mid-March, and I have decided to count this foray into this kind of business as lessons learned, money lost. The concept for what Beachmint was trying already exists (see Stella & Dot for a success story) and I was hoping that Jewelmint would be a success as well. As far as working for Beachmint directly, I cannot speak. I've walked away with the image of Beachmint as a bit of an enfant terrible who needs a very stern father to take control.

Advice to Management

I would suggest Beachmint further investigate any new ventures before rolling them out. Perhaps going back to the old fashion idea of business plans might help them forsee any snags that not only besmirch their good name, but the name of any person brave enough to hitch their wagon to them. The entire Ambassador program seemed thrown together by some kid in college.

"Wow! Very fast growing Startup!"

Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

Pros

- Great if you are into marketing, branding, fashion, generally female-driven products.
    - Lots of bright and fun people, "cool" atmosphere.
    - Chance to be a part of something growing, may go very big.
    - Always a new technical challenge, never boring.
    - Celebrities show up at the office for no particular reason.
    - Free lunch on Fridays.

Cons

- Celebrity driven brand marketing is the "new normal", space is becoming crowded, competition is fierce.
    - BeachMint is like many other "Dot Com" companies, featuring rapid growth, strong need for technical leadership / standardization of processes.
    - Location in Santa Monica means a tough commute for many.
    - Space is small relative to number of employees, open-plan office, no cubicles, little privacy.
    - General sense that VC's are putting money in because they want a horse in this race, uncertainty about where it will go and how it will end.

Advice to Management

Keep fighting the good fight. Keep doing things that are generous to the rank-and-file employees. And eventually move to a bigger office.