Beachbody Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Carl Daikeler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "Malfeasant upper management - micro managed by the CEO- so narcissistic that he thinks he knows better than the specialists under his employment" (in 26 reviews)

• "Very poor senior management, changes frequently, abusive managers" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Beachbody Is The Place To Be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From a business standpoint Beachbody’s products are top notch. There is no other company that mixes fitness and nutrition in their product catalog. Beachbody continues to push out fitness and workout programs that will flat out get you into shape no matter who you are. As for the nutrition have you seen all the greatness in Shakeology? Also Beachbody just hired an amazing resource who knows how to market Shakeology. This resource could really help elevate Beachbody’s nutritional presence in the marketplace.

What about what Beachbody offers to its employees? There is a program called the Awesome Manager, which can be life changing. This program does not mess around. It’s an eye opening course on how to become a fabulous worker. The knowledge gained from this course can be leveraged in all facets of life.

Beachbody just recently upgraded their eCommerce platform. Depending on who you talk with at Beachbody you either are told we are a fitness/nutrition company or we are a technology company. For all the techies out there Beachbody has proven they want to the leader in the technology space. Beachbody’s environment allows for new technologies to be leveraged and explored.

Cons

Beachbody still has some growing up to do. It’s widely known that Beachbody is considered to be in its adolescence phase of business. Being in this phase offers many challenges, but at the same time many opportunities for success. It’s important for existing workers and potential candidates to understand that this point in a company’s life cycle might not be for everybody. You need to understand that there will be challenges. Without a doubt I have all the faith in our management team to get us to the next level of Beachbody’s evolution.

Advice to Management

I heard there are ‘skip’ meetings within the organization. I think these are an absolute necessity and should include all levels of employees. It allows people to have their voice heard from someone other than their immediate manager.

2. "Ideal Workplace"

Current Employee - Supervisor in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Supervisor in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Team environment, transparent management, so many perks. This company really cares about its employees and achieving its mission to help people live healthy, fulfilling lives.

Cons

Can't think of any currently

"Iffy Future, Questionable Leadership, but Good People"

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lots of good people who are really committed to doing a good job
    - Free access to workouts, gym onsite, so you can workout whenever you want
    - Pretty good work/life balance most of the time, for most teams. Some teams will get after hours last-minute rush demands because there's a sudden idea from higher up.
    - Free snacks, Shakeology, and supplements. Food trucks most days.

Cons

- Layoffs 2 years in a row.
    - Constantly changing directives, so it's nearly impossible to build strategy since the plan will change in a month.
    - Often doesn't seem like there's no trust at the top towards employees and their expertise (ie micro-managing).
    - "Sell, sell, sell" attitude coming from the top feels a little skeezy.
    - CEO is demanding and often unpleasant. Does not inspire confidence that the company is headed in a good direction.

Advice to Management

Trust your people to do the jobs you hired them for. Be more transparent.

4. "Great Work-Life Balance and Wonderful People!!!"

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

LOVE working at Beachbody. I get to wear whatever I want to work, My hours are flexible- it's results oriented, so you get the job done, you're good. Free gym on the second floor with showers. Free Shakeology all day every day. Free awesome snacks, coffee, etc. Wonderful and smart people. Pay is competitive.

Cons

Company morale has been a little low due to some business decisions made in 2017 but there's a lot of transparency about what is going on and plans to move forward. Upper management is definitely trying to keep current employees calm and happy but people are still afraid and are looking for new gigs.

"Beachbody is a great Workplace"

Former Employee - Vice President in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Vice President in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I worked at Beachbody for 8 years and was inspired by the smart leadership and talented colleagues everyday. The company mission of helping people is always at the forefront of decisions. While the company has gone through growth and transitions, the leaders are proactive, smart and no afraid of change. The Founders, Carl and Jon provide outstanding motivation and leadership. A great place to work and are good to employees.

Cons

Nothing... all companies have business problems to solve and Beachbody is no different.

Advice to Management

Stay curious and bold.

"Sinking Ship"

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gym and workout program access, discount on products

Cons

Leadership is delusional, detached and refuses to listen to the employees. The COO has no interaction with the operations team and the CEO creates a captive audience by making videos and creating spotlight moments to stroke his ego instead of making a business plan. The company goes through massive layoffs and the CEO tells makes announcements that cuts have to be made then boards his private jet and posts selfies. There is no room for growth.

Advice to Management

Invest in the company and the people that are still there. People are running away at a rapid rate because there is no room for upward mobility and money is wasted on non essential things.

"A good place to work"

I have been working at Beachbody full-time

Pros

This is a company that wants you to want to be there. The company's vision is clear, and so are the overall goals for the company. Leadership is transparent, the company has a culture focused on fitness and health (including plenty of perks and like-minded people), and the work makes a difference in people's lives.

Cons

Certain parts of the organization don't shine as well as others. There's definitely some challenges with sometimes the wrong people being in middle management, but there are few companies that don't face this issue.

"Best Company I've Ever Worked For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have been at Beachbody for almost two years now and I thought it was time for me to write a review. My first impression was that this was a pretty cool company with a sort of startup feel to it even though it was a $1B+ company. In the two years since I started, the place has only gotten better. Granted, there have been some layoffs and the thought of leaving has occurred to me, but I realized that this is the best place I've been. What are the odds of finding another "best company ever"? The odds are low.

There are issues and problems that need solving as all companies have and the reason why they need employees. But the people are great and there are a ton of great perks and benefits. And they just keep adding new perks like unlimited vacation, one telecommute day per week, fresh fruit delivered to the lunchroom everyday, access to the nutritional products in the lunchroom, a shakebar where you can request fresh Shakeology shakes to be blended for you all day long with fresh and frozen fruits, even the ability to request a shake from your desk or phone app, an onsite gym with access to all Beachbody workout programs, your own Beachbody on Demand account so you can work out at home or while traveling on business, employee challenges with prize drawings for things like apple watch, beats earbuds, or $1000 Nordstrom gift card. Plus the health benefits are incredible too.

Yes, this is a great company to work for. I highly recommend!

Cons

Not much different than other companies: problems, inefficiencies, lack of processes, the fear of layoffs. Come here and help make the company better!

Advice to Management

My best advice to management would be to separate the CEO from the nutrition side of the business and let him focus on the fitness part which he is so great at. Too much micromanaging of the day-to-day decisions is harmful and the experts should be allowed to make the decisions that need to be made: from Marketing to Product Development to Operations.

"Mixed"

I worked at Beachbody full-time

Pros

Great people who work there.

Cons

Upper management is terrible. Anytime you have to layoff 600+ people you are doing a few things completely wrong.

Advice to Management

You're too top heavy.

"Horrible place to work"

Former Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Mid-Level Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work hours. Pays very good. If you able to negotiate, you will get hell lot of money for any position (almost 200% of the market rate)

Cons

inefficient management. very poor leaders - they care for themselves. Never work for them. Pyramid scam. No business plan. Bad Politics & lots of hate story.

Blindly trying to follow market leader. But efficiency level is nowhere near.

Advice to Management

I feel sorry for the owners. They are relying on wrong set of people. Complete management is sucking their money out and not delivering anything back. Hope John & Carl will understand soon. Laying off 100+ people every year will never bring business back.

John & Carl.
    You need to get right leaders who can give you out of box thought to make your business successful again. Its clearly visible that you guys are out of ideas now. And your inefficient management is not capable to deliver anything to help you out. Else, this ship will go down slowly