Beachbody Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Carl Daikeler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Good work life balance, benefits and access to company products (in 10 reviews)

• Free gym, free Shakeology/supplements (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • While the people you work with are great, upper management (CEO level) doesn't always make the best business decisions (in 22 reviews)

• Very poor senior management, changes frequently, abusive managers (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Beachbody Is The Place To Be"

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From a business standpoint Beachbody’s products are top notch. There is no other company that mixes fitness and nutrition in their product catalog. Beachbody continues to push out fitness and workout programs that will flat out get you into shape no matter who you are. As for the nutrition have you seen all the greatness in Shakeology? Also Beachbody just hired an amazing resource who knows how to market Shakeology. This resource could really help elevate Beachbody’s nutritional presence in the marketplace.

What about what Beachbody offers to its employees? There is a program called the Awesome Manager, which can be life changing. This program does not mess around. It’s an eye opening course on how to become a fabulous worker. The knowledge gained from this course can be leveraged in all facets of life.

Beachbody just recently upgraded their eCommerce platform. Depending on who you talk with at Beachbody you either are told we are a fitness/nutrition company or we are a technology company. For all the techies out there Beachbody has proven they want to the leader in the technology space. Beachbody’s environment allows for new technologies to be leveraged and explored.

Cons

Beachbody still has some growing up to do. It’s widely known that Beachbody is considered to be in its adolescence phase of business. Being in this phase offers many challenges, but at the same time many opportunities for success. It’s important for existing workers and potential candidates to understand that this point in a company’s life cycle might not be for everybody. You need to understand that there will be challenges. Without a doubt I have all the faith in our management team to get us to the next level of Beachbody’s evolution.

Advice to Management

I heard there are ‘skip’ meetings within the organization. I think these are an absolute necessity and should include all levels of employees. It allows people to have their voice heard from someone other than their immediate manager.

2. "Love the company. Love the mission. Love the people!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Over the last 10+ years, Beachbody and has given me the skills and personal attention you'd hope to get from a company you commit your time and focus to.
    With support from leadership, I have had the opportunity to work in 4 different departments, diversifying my skillsets and rounding me as a person.
    The people are friendly and cross-departmental collaboration is pretty effortless.
    I am the healthiest I've ever been thanks to the in-house gyms and supportive culture.
    Good work-life balance. My leaders trust me to get my job done without micro-managing. Flexible hours let me be home in the afternoon to help my kids with their homework.

Cons

Bieng so fast-paced, we are often pivoting to accommodate the NEW initiatives. Communication and prioritization is sometimes lacking... but with a little effort, it's easy to get alignment.

Advice to Management

Keep inspiring! Your energy is infectious.

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun working environment! Access to onsite gyms, healthy snack bars including free Shakeology, unlimited PTO for salaried employees.

Cons

The company is working on stabilization to continue further growth. Therefor major layoffs took place in 2017. The layoffs have created an unsettling environment, and unstable future outlook for many team members.

Advice to Management

Listen to your individual contributors.

"Great people but company reorganizing"

I worked at Beachbody full-time

Pros

People are great and you will find some great friends, smart and engaging individuals.

Cons

Company is always reorganizing trying to sustain market share in an oversaturated market. Still trying to figure out how.

Advice to Management

Hire leaders with clear vision who can bring real talent to facilitate reorg and make real change

"People Department"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

My boss was an excellent leader. Despite his incredibly hectic and rigorous schedule, he found time to lead, coach and guide me in my role. The company is generous, whenever it can be. Co-workers are friendly and are good team players, for the most part. There are many opportunities for growth (either in your role or through continuous learning e.g. tuition reimbursement etc...) i learned more in 5 years at BB than i have anywhere else in my career. I had to move out of state for familial reasons, I would still work there if I could.

Cons

BB is by no means perfect, but a company that grows as fast as BB has in last couple years is bound to face challenges. Being with company for several years, and having worked in a few different departments, the challenge i have seen consistently is the lack of leadership readiness. Leadership training and accountability is sorely needed. Many leaders have no idea how to lead, coach, or manage a team effectively. Clear and concise direction from the top is also an area of opportunity. The last few years have been tough with layoffs and other cuts, more transparency would really help give employees a more confident outlook, and perhaps cause less confusion.

Advice to Management

Leaders at all levels can use some in depth training. Employees should be given the time and opportunity to have training related to their current and future roles as well. Despite training being available, often times employees are unable to attend due to manager interference.

6. "Proud to be a Beachbody Employee"

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I believe in this company and their mission. I have great satisfaction coming to work everyday and am very proud to be associated with Beachbody. Along with their mission, they believe in their employees and make great efforts to be a competitive employer with very impressive benefits, perks, etc. I honestly enjoy working with everyone here, as the culture is very friendly and supportive. I have been here for over a year now, and am very happy with my decision to become part of this team.

Cons

Working in the remote office away from HQ/Santa Monica, we are sometimes left out of events and programs.

Advice to Management

Keep on course and I look forward to what the future holds for Beachbody.

"Not a Great Technology Company"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Most of the engineers I worked with were very dedicated, hard-working and selfless.

The Engineering department is earnestly trying to modernize its DevOps.

You'll probably never find another place that so encourages its employees to get and stay fit. Two gyms, healthy snacks, prizes for participating in fitness programs, etc.

The company introduced a number of events to make it a more "Fun Place to Work", including Beachbody Games, cuisines-of-the-world potluck, Diwali celebration, etc.

Cons

Engineering is saddled by some poor technology choices in the past, including investing heavily in an outdated Oracle-centric technology stack, stitched together in a way that even Oracle didn't recommend. Spent a lot of money on Oracle consultants.

Odd hierarchical structure. My technical manager had 50 other reports, so it was nearly impossible to get any of his time. Instead had to go through an abrasive project manager who understood and cared little for the work I was tasked with.

Advice to Management

To Engineering Management: I was really hopeful when you came in and promoted the idea of Engineering Swagger -- that engineers are first class citizens at Beachbody and can change the company. That's a great sentiment, but if you don't communicate it beyond engineering and back it up with deeds, then it's just cheerleading. Despite how large the engineering department became, Beachbody is still a company run by the product owners / project managers, with not a whole lot of respect for the engineers or the craft of quality engineering.

8. "One of the great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great culture. A lot of independence. Friendly and caring management. Open to ideas and changes.

Cons

Not all processes are complete, so sometimes it can be challenging for a person coming from MNC's.

Advice to Management

Love working at Beachbody. Great company to work for that make real change in people's life.

9. "Bright future, fun company culture and rewarding work."

Current Employee - Director
    Current Employee - Director

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing future, compensation, benefits and work environment. This company is really super fun, it rewards you for helping people have better lives. All our products, projects and initiatives have our company mission at heart. I feel like every step that is taken is to help everyone the company touches: customers, independent coaches, employees, trainers, and management.

Cons

Travel required, intimidating name (LOL, you may think that you need to have a "Beach-body" to work here, but that is not true, all though you have a chance to do so if you like the idea. nutricional products, fitness programs are available to you as an employee.)

Advice to Management

Keep going guys, we are doing amazing things. Our products are needed everywhere. We need to take our mission and products to THE WORLD!

"Beachbody was once named one of the best places to work for..."

I worked at Beachbody full-time

Pros

The company had entrepreneurial origins of two passionate business partners who hired task oriented staff of employees who tended to under promised and over performed to create a company culture that was familial that resulted in explosive growth in size and profitable revenue. The ownership was friendly, generous, and compassionate with a very gracious attitude. The ownership are progressive risk takers who change with the times rather than stagnate into a downward spiral of mediocrity.

Cons

The humanity behind the company seemingly has dissolved and is riddled by disgruntled current and former employees who seem at odds with senior management who may not be qualified as leaders who have the intangible trait of earning respect of their staff through knowing how to work with people to garner the best results from a staff. It appears the company made a move to pedigree the executive team with prestigious resumes who were not quite qualified to honor the company's core values which made the company successful. As much as there are cult like cheerleaders touting the good name of the company and their products,, there's an equal if nor greater number of current and former employees ready to throw everyone under the bus with complaints and emotionally disgruntled language. Employees seem to unjustly blame the owners for certain turmoil when in fact the owners were and are the most qualified to lead the company and should regain more granular involvement to steer the ship in the best direction.

Advice to Management

Reflect upon the staff and vendors who were and are involved in the successful milestones in the history of the company. Analyze what where the common similarities which resulted in successful outcomes. Evaluate the staff who spend more time talking about goals with unproductive meetings versus actually executing action plans and getting the job done. Switch to performance based compensation rather than turning to layoffs when in economic strife, especially with senior staff to show skin in the game and work more passionately.