Beachbody Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.8
Carl Daikeler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pretty good work/life balance most of the time, for most teams" (in 11 reviews)

• "Free Shakeology all day every day" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is too involved in marketing and production" (in 28 reviews)

• "Very poor senior management, changes frequently, abusive managers" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Beachbody Is The Place To Be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From a business standpoint Beachbody’s products are top notch. There is no other company that mixes fitness and nutrition in their product catalog. Beachbody continues to push out fitness and workout programs that will flat out get you into shape no matter who you are. As for the nutrition have you seen all the greatness in Shakeology? Also Beachbody just hired an amazing resource who knows how to market Shakeology. This resource could really help elevate Beachbody’s nutritional presence in the marketplace.

What about what Beachbody offers to its employees? There is a program called the Awesome Manager, which can be life changing. This program does not mess around. It’s an eye opening course on how to become a fabulous worker. The knowledge gained from this course can be leveraged in all facets of life.

Beachbody just recently upgraded their eCommerce platform. Depending on who you talk with at Beachbody you either are told we are a fitness/nutrition company or we are a technology company. For all the techies out there Beachbody has proven they want to the leader in the technology space. Beachbody’s environment allows for new technologies to be leveraged and explored.

Cons

Beachbody still has some growing up to do. It’s widely known that Beachbody is considered to be in its adolescence phase of business. Being in this phase offers many challenges, but at the same time many opportunities for success. It’s important for existing workers and potential candidates to understand that this point in a company’s life cycle might not be for everybody. You need to understand that there will be challenges. Without a doubt I have all the faith in our management team to get us to the next level of Beachbody’s evolution.

Advice to Management

I heard there are ‘skip’ meetings within the organization. I think these are an absolute necessity and should include all levels of employees. It allows people to have their voice heard from someone other than their immediate manager.

"Solid business in turnaround mode with new technology"

I have been working at Beachbody full-time

Pros

This is my view from the Digital side - we launched a rapidly growing streaming subscription app in BOD a couple of years back, and are working on a green field project that will make us highly competitive in the Fitech space. Executive sponsor gets that we need to innovate to compete, that we need to incubate or evolve from a marketing and sales culture to an innovation and product engineering culture. Road to transformation is challenging for a company of this size, but there is appetite and willing to invest in this.

Cons

There are definitely issues and challenges with Beachbody, but no more or less than any billion dollar company. I strongly feel the opportunities here outweigh the obstacles, otherwise I would not be here.

Advice to Management

Listen to your product and engineering leaders, they are the stewards that will take this company to the next level.

"Great company!"

I have been working at Beachbody part-time

Pros

Fun place to be working!

Cons

I can't think of any.

"Wouldn’t recommend"

Pros

The products can deliver good results.

Cons

If looking to join a network marketing business, this isn’t where you should be building

"Learned a lot"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free Shakeology, free gym, free snacks, fitness-minded coworkers, product that I believe in

Cons

outdated technology to managing e-commerce backend, there were some toxic management particularly a female tech engineer manager who would yell at employees but heard since I left they were let go.

Advice to Management

keep the company lean, modernize backend to manage e-commerce. such a great company would like to see it succeed.

"Decide. Commit. Succeed... Should be more like, undecided, do nothing, fail"

Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people who work here. I've made some life lasting friends from this place. It's a shame because even though the ship is sinking, people still generally have a positive attitude.... Free shakes if you are into that disgusting stuff. (though generally avoid the restroom after shakeology lunch)

Pay is decent, because to compensate for the crappy job, they will throw some money your way to get you to stay. So you'll see a lot of coworkers that threaten to quit on a regular basis so they can get more money.

Cons

How many characters do I have? When they interview you they are really really good on selling the company and technology stack. Let me tell you, it's mostly BS. Upper management has no idea what they are doing. The incompetent ones get promoted straight to the top. They are looking for yes men, don't question their direction or poor technology stack.

If you are looking for using current or even semi modern technology, PASS right now. They spent years and an obscene amount of money deploying an outdated Oracle platform. If they mention Docker, AWS, or anything that sounds modern.. It's really only being used in some tiny deployments, not their main platform. When they should be double downing on micro services, cloud, containers and other technology.. they are doing more Oracle, more Wordpress. So if you like 10 year old Oracle software, click Apply now! Just ask for a 12 month roadmap if you don't believe me.

Pro or Con, not sure which section to put this on. Con that all the good people are leaving, like by the day/week. Pro is that there are frequent going away Happy Hours.

On that subject, just read prior reviews. They have had to do mass layoffs multiple times because of not hitting numbers, and just hiring tons of people who do nothing.

Unlimited vacation is BS. They make it sound good, but in reality you'll never be able to take that time off. Read the fine print, unlimited means they don't have to pay you 1$ when you quit/fired because you won't accrue time off.

Advice to Management

Ditch the Oracle platform yesterday. Let go all the technology management and bring in a proper CTO that knows a thing or two about modern technology. Stop hiring yes-men. Carl should step down and hire a CEO that knows how to run a billion dollar company, before Beachbody turns into a million dollar company again.

"RAPIDLY SINKING SHIP"

Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Shakeology if you can stomach it. Some great people, most of whom have been laid off because they were smart, talented and weren't 'yes' men and women to the ongoing ridiculous business decisions..

Cons

First, it should be a serious red flag to anyone who's reading these reviews to see this company has to 'sponsor' positive reviews (that they likely wrote themselves) to try deflect from the hundreds of seriously bad/highly accurate reviews from people who have worked for this company. Pay serious attention to the 'real' reviews because almost no-one who has left this company would ever endorse working here. Most employees are treated like highly disposable garbage, while the clueless CEO continues to run the company into the ground, supported by the equally inept CFO. Senior Mgmt at the C-Level, SVP and VP level are nothing more than glorified admin assistants to execute Carl's ridiculous business 'ideas' that continue to result in business suicide, with mass layoffs almost every year where the most talented and genuine people are typically shown the door. As an employee, you're warned to 'just do what Carl says' all the time by your boss, regardless of how ridiculous this 'plan' is. All these alleged senior level people are all 'YES' men and women who are only interested in protecting their own ridiculously inflated paychecks, and have zero interest in protecting their teams or ever doing the right thing by them. Take a look around the senior level people who are currently there - nepotism runs rampant, and if you're not in tight with a department head, you haven't a hope in hell of succeeding here regardless of how hard you work, or how loyal or talented you are. If you're smart and are vocal about bad decision-making, you're a target. Plus, the new fitness programs and nutrition products over this year and the past few years are terrible, and continue to tank. Beachbody is actually widely regarded as a joke in the outside professional world and is not useful on your resume, so be mindful of this too.

Advice to Management

Take a very serious look at the people who repeatedly fail at the very top (CEO, CFO) and start there, then work your way down towards the SVP and VP level. Everyone else below that level (for the most part) is actually working and trying their best, while being forced to deal with the amateurs/snakes above them on a daily basis.

"Watch your back"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mission of the company is positive - helping people lead healthy lives. Good gym and amenities.

Cons

Toxic culture. No one collaborating or working as teams, all about protecting their own territory in fear of layoffs. Backstabbing is pervasive. Constant changes to plans midstream when the CEO thinks of a new idea for that day, which causes tons of wasted efforts on work already completed before approach is suddenly switched. Transition from DVD model to streaming model has gone terribly. MLM sales-first strategy to extract as much money as possible from customers is completely ineffective in subscription-based, engagement model. Company needs to be acquired by another company that knows how to run an effective modern business.

Advice to Management

Sell the company.

"Company at a decline."

Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free shakes, snacks and gyms. Healthy people in the best shape of their lives typically. Company's seen its peak, and now it's in a rapid decline.

Cons

There's a reason the company goes through rounds of layoffs. Carl and Jon need to step aside. Especially Carl makes life stressful, openly ripping people apart in front of an audience. Rest of leadership just watches.

Advice to Management

Cut your losses on BOD. It's not gonna happen.

"Nonexistent Leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Gym use, Shakeology bar, employee discount on product and the occasional freebies of the stuff that cannot be sold due to expiration.

Cons

There is no leadership and no direction. The CEO is more worried about posting selfies and having a platform of a captive audience than letting people make decisions. There is no cohesion between departments. Instead of planning, money is wasted due to unrealistic timelines and awful operational planning.