Beachbody Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Carl Daikeler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While the people you work with are great, upper management (CEO level) doesn't always make the best business decisions (in 22 reviews)

• Very poor senior management, changes frequently, abusive managers (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Career Opportunities in a Challenging, Supportive, & Fun Environment"

Current Employee - Director, Technology in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Technology in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunities & Great People: Beachbody grew fast and like any company who goes through that, the processes and technology that support it were developed quickly and organically, without necessarily a sense of what would be the best solution long term. As the company now matures, the challenges we face center around optimization and the opportunities to get involved in that transformation are everywhere. Internally, it's thinking about how we can do what we do but better, simpler, faster, and with less expense? For our end consumers, it's what can we do to improve their lives - to make it easier for them to commit and stay committed to a healthy lifestyle. Tackling these challenges is invigorating and doing so with all of the smart and fun people on your team makes it even better.

- Professional Development: Beachbody has a strong focus on Professional Development and Advancement. Every employee in the company receives a significant allocation of funding each year to pursue their own professional development, and the company offers various training opportunities every month at each of their office locations in Los Angeles. Training opportunities range from specific technical concepts and skills, to the critical skills required for managing a diverse group of people including the much loved “Awesome Manager” program. I completed the 3 day “Awesome Manager” course earlier this year and it was simply the most impactful professional development of my career. It’s a program I will never forget and strongly recommend to all of my colleagues.

Cons

The flip side to a working at a company that has grown rapidly is that things can seem chaotic at times. This may not be the best place to work for somebody who likes things to be predictable and in a steady state. However, while in the past I’ve seen this company taking sharp directional changes seemingly on a whim, the tolerance for that at the executive level is waning. A cross-team decision is now required to make significant changes which allows the leadership team to understand the impact of the proposed change across the entire organization and make an informed decision as to what is in the best interest of the company and its employees.

Advice to Management

Support your Leaders. It would benefit the company as a whole to invest in executive coaching or structured mentorship for all of those at a VP level and above. Strong leaders attract talent, build strong teams, and will accomplish great things for the company. Help them succeed by giving them the individual coaching and support they need to improve themselves as individuals, as leaders, and to make a lasting impact on this great company.

2. "Always innovative with products and compensation plans."

Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Independent Consultant in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Beachbody part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great way to start a business and put as much effort in as you want to succeed. Coach relations is always able to help.

Cons

Sometimes frequently switching how compensation is earned makes it a bit frustrating. Changes is part of life so we must go with the flow

3. "Great Place!"

Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, great perks, shakes, snacks and gym too

Cons

My commute is long in the mornings

"Campaign Analytics Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people are pretty incredible. I have met some of my closest friends from at Beachbody. The work I did was meaningful and challenging, but it all does really matter who your manager is. Work life balance is amazing.

Cons

It can be really bureaucratic at times. Some of the higher-ups are can be stubborn and inflexible. They consider themselves a "start-up", but it is definitely not one, so there is a mismatch of culture and processes. It would benefit managers to give more autonomy to their subordinates.

Advice to Management

Give you subordinates more flexibility. The company is suffering and you might be able to gain insights and ideas from other perspectives.

5. "Health and fitness"

Current Employee - Emerald Coach in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Emerald Coach in New York, NY

I have been working at Beachbody part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Able to try all programs and help people be accountable cannot duplicate what once worked. Lost it’s glory from WFs it all began

Cons

Compensation plans aren’t as good as when it first began. No real way to help other duplicate. Hard to advance theses Dayan

Advice to Management

This doesn’t apply so no comments. Personal development preferred and no real help from CEO

6. "Independent Team Beachbody Coach"

Pros

Great company, lots of perks and truly committed to improving health and fitness of as many people possible

Cons

Have to be very active on social media CONSTANTLY in order to grow your business

7. "Fun Energetic Company focused on Fitness and Marketting"

Current Employee - Front End Developer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Developer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Positive, people-centered attitude. Benefits and salary are fair. You can use the gym and receive discounts on health products.

Cons

The company is very marketing heavy and sometimes creativity and technology take a back seat. Some vendors stuck their claws in early on and BB is not able to get away from these legacy platforms.

Advice to Management

Bring back Friday breakfasts and startup culture.

"Top Management Heavy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody (More than a year)

Pros

Great building
    Free snacks
    State of the art gym for employees

Cons

Unorganized management
    Departments don't communicate
    Lots of hands in one pot
    Ego heavy

Advice to Management

Communicate with your team on a daily basis. Daily stand ups and wrap ups would be very beneficial to actually get things done. Also Directors and Executive Directors, you should maybe be in the office more than just a 2 days a week. It really drops morale for employees to see that your boss is never around when other teams come to you for answers and you know more than your higher ups. Your higher position doesn't mean privilege, it means responsibility and leadership.

"Great people, great products, business in transition!"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Base pay and benefits above the norm.
    Bonuses average (except in highly profitable years).
    Fitness and nutrition a big part of the eco-system.
    Talented people.
    Reasonable chances for advancement.

Cons

Business model is changing (from direct marketing to on-demand). The leadership knows where the future is; getting there has been the challenge. CEO and President have a history of finding solutions but this is the biggest obstacle they have faced.
    While I know everyone is working hard to get things back on track, communication regarding the strategic plan and the progress against it could be better.

Advice to Management

The majority of employees are supportive of management's efforts and are confident about the future. To keep the rumor mill from being the major source of information, it would be great to re-institute regular employee meetings with the CEO and President. All hands would be best but even "Zoom" would work.

"Truth Be Told"

Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay is LA average.
    Free vitamins
    Decent benefits

Cons

Beachbody founders, Carl Daikeler and Jon Congdon, have made it very clear what is truly important to them despite the claims of wanting to help people. Their feelings towards employees are expressed explicitly in Carl's own words below:

"John and I are the ones who are important around here!"

This was yelled out on the second floor of Beachbody headquarters in Santa Monica by CEO, Carl Daikeler. I witnessed this first hand, sitting by the second floor back door.

This is totally contrary to the written, misleading statement on the beachbody.com website:

"WHAT WE BELIEVE
    Our co-founders Carl Daikeler and Jon Congdon began Beachbody in 1998 with one idea in mind: to help you live a healthy, fulfilling life."

Are constant layoffs helping employees live healthy, fulfilling lives? No!
    Although, it does seem to help Carl and John because despite the ridiculous amount of layoffs that Beachbody initiates, Carl and John get up on stage every single year and brag about how much the company has profited. Now there's something to think about... multi-millions of dollars profited every year and still, all these layoffs.

Well, hopefully the founders will get a clue and realize that it's the employees that do the creative work. Employees that make customers happy. Employees that edit video, code websites, pay the coaches, keep the technology running. If it weren't for us... Carl and John would still be working at Guthy Renker.

Advice to Management

Management, stop being cowards and stand up for your coworkers. It's not just your job to manage but also to protect. If that's too big of a job for you then step down and stock shelves at Walmart.