Beachbody Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Carl Daikeler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Pretty good work/life balance most of the time, for most teams" (in 13 reviews)

• "Free Shakeology all day every day" (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • "Upper management is too involved in marketing and production" (in 28 reviews)

• "Very poor senior management, changes frequently, abusive managers" (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Beachbody Is The Place To Be"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

From a business standpoint Beachbody’s products are top notch. There is no other company that mixes fitness and nutrition in their product catalog. Beachbody continues to push out fitness and workout programs that will flat out get you into shape no matter who you are. As for the nutrition have you seen all the greatness in Shakeology? Also Beachbody just hired an amazing resource who knows how to market Shakeology. This resource could really help elevate Beachbody’s nutritional presence in the marketplace.

What about what Beachbody offers to its employees? There is a program called the Awesome Manager, which can be life changing. This program does not mess around. It’s an eye opening course on how to become a fabulous worker. The knowledge gained from this course can be leveraged in all facets of life.

Beachbody just recently upgraded their eCommerce platform. Depending on who you talk with at Beachbody you either are told we are a fitness/nutrition company or we are a technology company. For all the techies out there Beachbody has proven they want to the leader in the technology space. Beachbody’s environment allows for new technologies to be leveraged and explored.

Cons

Beachbody still has some growing up to do. It’s widely known that Beachbody is considered to be in its adolescence phase of business. Being in this phase offers many challenges, but at the same time many opportunities for success. It’s important for existing workers and potential candidates to understand that this point in a company’s life cycle might not be for everybody. You need to understand that there will be challenges. Without a doubt I have all the faith in our management team to get us to the next level of Beachbody’s evolution.

Advice to Management

I heard there are ‘skip’ meetings within the organization. I think these are an absolute necessity and should include all levels of employees. It allows people to have their voice heard from someone other than their immediate manager.

2. "My Experience At Beachbody"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Beachbody has been always so flexible and loving, I was able to continue my education while working full time, until I finished my B.S. degree. Beachbody was always supporting me all the way. For me education is really important and they offer so many opportunities for growth in leadership. Thanks!

Cons

Every team, including IT needs to push towards always making the company revenue and learning about attribution.

Advice to Management

Learning about attribution

"Manager"

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, great work/life balance, flexible schedule, gym on site that you are actually encouraged to use, very friendly and diverse employees, and overall a fun place to work.

Cons

Like many quickly growing companies, there are some growing pains and uncertainty. Layoffs two years in row were difficult and took some time for company to clearly define their vision for the future, but I think they're on the right footing.

Advice to Management

Keep offering good benefits and accepting feedback from employees. Keep up the transparency and accountability of senior management.

"Director"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great work life balance and great pay. Opportunity to work with talented people and to develop your career. The company really does try to take care of the employees.

Cons

There has been high turnover as of late, but this has also been an opportunity to take on more responsibility and grow one's skillset

"Growing company"

I have been working at Beachbody full-time

Pros

Shakebar, Free Gym, Free BOD, Fun environment

Cons

Very hard to move up

"AVOID!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Ok Benefits
    Unlimited PTO
    you'll probably get laid off so you can collect unemployment

Cons

This place has so much potential but, at it's heart is just another Multi Level Marketing scam. Don't fall for it.
    Many before you have tried to fix the issues of that they have and they failed.
    Leadership is incompetent and only concerned with lining their own pockets.
    This place is toxic to its core.
    The yearly lay off should tell you that.
    Also the mass exodus of talent.

Advice to Management

Not much you can do. Resign and let this company go under gracefully.

"Everything That Could Go Wrong"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

No PTO, unlimited vacation at (at the discretion of management)
    Kitchens with snacks and coffee

Cons

Year after year of mass layoffs resulting in low morale and gaps that lower-level employees have to fill, directors and above are clueless to the amount of work other take up, so much so that people are asked to write their own new job descriptions- but not in an opportunistic way, it’s so management can poke holes in it (as it’s the first they’re hearing of all that work being done under them) and hold people back.
    Reputation in the Socal tech business world is that if you work at Beachbody, you will suffer from title inflation and will be unable to perform at that title’s responsibilities at the next company you bounce to. Recruiters are warned of this, too.
    Discrimination, no encouragement, finger-pointing and backstabbing.
    Stuck in old ways.
    Selling snake oil (but that one’s obvious)

Advice to Management

Layoff people who can’t innovate, promotions by default doesn’t create a leader, the company is fixed in its own practice of politics that have caused it to go downhill and start a fresh company to try to steer the sinking ship.
    If you promise something, carry it out.
    Take it as a sign when good, ambitious talent keeps leaving.

"Great company!"

I have been working at Beachbody part-time

Pros

Fun place to be working!

Cons

I can't think of any.

"Solid business in turnaround mode with new technology"

I have been working at Beachbody full-time

Pros

This is my view from the Digital side - we launched a rapidly growing streaming subscription app in BOD a couple of years back, and are working on a green field project that will make us highly competitive in the Fitech space. Executive sponsor gets that we need to innovate to compete, that we need to incubate or evolve from a marketing and sales culture to an innovation and product engineering culture. Road to transformation is challenging for a company of this size, but there is appetite and willing to invest in this.

Cons

There are definitely issues and challenges with Beachbody, but no more or less than any billion dollar company. I strongly feel the opportunities here outweigh the obstacles, otherwise I would not be here.

Advice to Management

Listen to your product and engineering leaders, they are the stewards that will take this company to the next level.

"Wouldn’t recommend"

Pros

The products can deliver good results.

Cons

If looking to join a network marketing business, this isn’t where you should be building