Beachbody Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

Carl Daikeler

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • While the people you work with are great, upper management (CEO level) doesn't always make the best business decisions (in 22 reviews)

• People are expected to be perfect and there is no work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great company."

Current Employee - Finance in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Finance in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Outstanding products, great management team, and best of class benefits and perks provide a work environment in which things get done.

Cons

Too many things done at the same time. Something will break.

Advice to Management

Stay true to the mission.

"Don't Be Fooled"

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free Shakes, Gyms onsite,Unlimited PTO(For salaried employees)

Cons

Top heavy management, that creates to many layers to actually make any meaningful impact. Also there are a lot of untrained "1st" time managers that have a lack of skills to properly lead.

Company seems to overspend on elaborate ideas that are outdated and always seems to be playing catchup with the market rather than innovating.

Job titles, pay scales and upward mobility are said to be mapped out but theres little if no effort in actually trying to retain and grow talent. I personally saw some of the most brilliant minds walk away from the company due to not having a chance to grow.

Management's attitude to growth if your outside of "The Club" is to tell you to leave for another company. A true lack of good leadership in a lot of departments and although a Core principle is "To be courageously forthright" the moment you speak up in opposition you become a target. No value is placed on honesty and HR is incompetent at best when dealing with grievances brought to thier attention.

Advice to Management

Start over and trust your people. Effective managment is the ability to self manage and self critique not just sitting in meetings to feel important.

Cut the BS and stop trapping great talent with empty promises and free shakes! You'll continue to lose great people who could make a difference because you won't come off your High Horse and see how you people really feel.

The CEO should be a person that people can approach, and get rid of those who won't challenge you or your ideas. You're only as good as the people you surround yourself with.

"Former Employee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- 90% of fellow employees are great
    - Working out in the office / casual dress

Cons

Management and Exective team are out of touch.
    The offenders grow, make bad decisions and get rewarded.
    Politics are heavy so be ready to sell out others or you will be on the "hit list".

Advice to Management

Stop living in the clouds and get back in touch with your team and your business.

"Stress and Churn"

I worked at Beachbody full-time

Pros

Nice offices if you're at HQ, product benefits like 21-day fix & Shakeology.

Cons

High stress, high turnover, a lot of throwing people under the bus to save your own job. Company still functions like it thinks it is a startup when it is a mid-sized company. Creates logjams at certain desks.

Advice to Management

Get help transitioning from a startup mindset to a more traditional midsized company. People should never be afraid that missing one day of work might cost them their job.

"My opinion - This is a great company."

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have worked at many companies, and I see how hard Beachbody is working to improve the culture for their employees and making this a great place to work. There are a lot of perks, and they are continually adding programs and benefits to increase employee satisfaction. I feel very inspired by my team and have great camaraderie, which makes coming to work everyday that much more enjoyable. There are great people that work here, very committed.

Cons

Because we are segregated, I do feel that the Santa Monica office is the "mother" and the other offices are the "step children."

Advice to Management

I don't have that much exposure to management, and maybe that is why I have a high rating. What I do see is management has a want and a need for improvement and are trying to make the right decisions. I wrote this because unfortunately, people only feel inspired to write on Glassdoor when there is something negative to say. I felt compelled to write, because I am having an honest positive experience and wanted to share. You need to hear the good experiences, not just the bad.

"Used to be great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in El Segundo, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time

Pros

Free snacks/gym. Used to have fun company gatherings. Fast paced work.

Cons

A combination of factors caused me to leave: sales began slipping causing a bad atmosphere throughout the office, my manager's habit of picking a favorite continued to get worse, and it became clear that the company had no room for internal promotions for my function. The El Segundo office always felt second rate compared to the Santa Monica one as well. The company doesn't consider whether it's strategy/goals align with what customers actually want.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people- figure out career paths, hire managers who don't play favorites. Launch products and promotions based on consumer data/feedback instead of based on gut feeling/desire.

7. "Great Career Opportunities in a Challenging, Supportive, & Fun Environment"

Current Employee - Director, Technology in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Technology in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunities & Great People: Beachbody grew fast and like any company who goes through that, the processes and technology that support it were developed quickly and organically, without necessarily a sense of what would be the best solution long term. As the company now matures, the challenges we face center around optimization and the opportunities to get involved in that transformation are everywhere. Internally, it's thinking about how we can do what we do but better, simpler, faster, and with less expense? For our end consumers, it's what can we do to improve their lives - to make it easier for them to commit and stay committed to a healthy lifestyle. Tackling these challenges is invigorating and doing so with all of the smart and fun people on your team makes it even better.

- Professional Development: Beachbody has a strong focus on Professional Development and Advancement. Every employee in the company receives a significant allocation of funding each year to pursue their own professional development, and the company offers various training opportunities every month at each of their office locations in Los Angeles. Training opportunities range from specific technical concepts and skills, to the critical skills required for managing a diverse group of people including the much loved “Awesome Manager” program. I completed the 3 day “Awesome Manager” course earlier this year and it was simply the most impactful professional development of my career. It’s a program I will never forget and strongly recommend to all of my colleagues.

Cons

The flip side to a working at a company that has grown rapidly is that things can seem chaotic at times. This may not be the best place to work for somebody who likes things to be predictable and in a steady state. However, while in the past I’ve seen this company taking sharp directional changes seemingly on a whim, the tolerance for that at the executive level is waning. A cross-team decision is now required to make significant changes which allows the leadership team to understand the impact of the proposed change across the entire organization and make an informed decision as to what is in the best interest of the company and its employees.

Advice to Management

Support your Leaders. It would benefit the company as a whole to invest in executive coaching or structured mentorship for all of those at a VP level and above. Strong leaders attract talent, build strong teams, and will accomplish great things for the company. Help them succeed by giving them the individual coaching and support they need to improve themselves as individuals, as leaders, and to make a lasting impact on this great company.

"good place to work"

I worked at Beachbody full-time

Pros

good people to work with

Cons

poor management in executive suite

"Work out the kinks."

Former Employee - Workforce Management in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Workforce Management in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, open floor-plan, sense of humor

Cons

Non-strategic decisions constantly made without future-thought. They appear to have very harsh relationships with their vendors. Got too big too fast without being realistic, may have inevitably been the reason for their large lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Listen to the strategic experts you hired from fortune 500 companies. They know what they are doing, and pay attention to their answers.

10. "Mid level Manager"

I worked at Beachbody full-time

Pros

fun, safe, clean work ecnviroment

Cons

company in flux due to changing biz model