Beachbody Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Carl Daikeler

Pros
  • Good work life balance, benefits and access to company products (in 8 reviews)

• Free gym, free Shakeology/supplements (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • Zero trust from leadership and upper management (in 20 reviews)

• People are expected to be perfect and there is no work-life balance (in 5 reviews)

"Sunset at the Beach"

I have been working at Beachbody full-time

Pros

Some truly great, talented, friendly people work here.
    Competitive salary and benefits.
    Nice physical work environment.
    Laid back, relaxed culture.

Cons

Inept leadership at the very top.
    Far too many "yes men" unwilling to challenge leadership.
    Woefully behind the curve technologically.

Advice to Management

Beachbody's CEO is fond of referring to Beachbody as a technology company. In the same breath, he also likes to "humorously" point out his complete lack of even the most basic technology knowledge or skill. The fact is, he is and always will be a salesman, and as long as he remains in place, Beachbody is and always will be the same multilevel marketing company it's been since its inception.

Currently, in the wake of plummeting sales and the very recent layoff of about 200 full-time employees, Beachbody is attempting to pivot direction. They continue to point to Netflix as an example of how this can be done...but they seem absolutely clueless to the fact that Netflix recognized changing conditions and adjusted proactively TEN YEARS AGO. This is a prime illustration of how hopelessly behind the curve this company is related to technology, and how absolutely deaf and blind leadership is to the messages they send.

There was a time when I would have recommended Beachbody as a really nice place to work. Sadly, that time, and this company's best days, are long gone.

2. "Great work culture, health environment and people!"

Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have worked at Beachbody about 1,5 year in Technology department. I really enjoyed that time and truly miss it.

This place has great work culture, health environment and people!

People were the best part of working at Beachbody! I have never worked with such friendly, caring, open-minded and helpful people. Beachbody is the company where everyone wants you to succeed and supports each other. Management there is interested in your growth and would provide you with necessary tools and material to do so. My team mates would always come to help and pass their knowledge, collaborated with the rest in case if any kind of obstacles arose and were open to try new ideas.

The culture at Beachbody encourages healthy lifestyle and communication among employees from different department. We had 2 gyms where everyone could go to workout any time of the day when there was some downtime at work. Invention of Shakeology bar that was serving employees shakeology protein drinks with different flavors was quite amazing and unique experience .

CEO of the company is very inspiration and motivational man. Whenever he had a new idea he made every one of us believe in it and work hard to make it come to life. He would take time to write inspirational quotes on the walls, gave us motivational speeches and was the example of someone who turned his own idea into multibillion company pushing us forward to be better at what we do.

I'm very grateful to the Beachbody and happy that I got to work at that place.

Cons

Very ad-hoc. As most corporate companies communication between departments and find the person of contact was a challenge.

Advice to Management

Unnecessary multi level management hierarchy.
    Constant disruption of team's work with organizational changes that didn't lead to any significant results.

"Unusual"

I worked at Beachbody full-time

Pros

Entrepreneurial spirit, product development commitment

Cons

Intense politics, confused management approach--seemed like a lot of infighting

Advice to Management

Act like the direct marketing company you are

"Beachbody"

I have been working at Beachbody full-time

Pros

The people in you immediate area are great. Full of managers and directors looking to build careers (see cons however). Good perks and benefits. The company mission in itself is good and carries a responsible message.

Cons

While the people you work with are great, upper management (CEO level) doesn't always make the best business decisions. Promotions and raises aren't given in a timely fashion, only twice a year. If you feel you deserve a promotion or raise in May and your superiors agree, tough luck, the next round isn't till October and you will have to wait until then.

Advice to Management

Have a little more action to back up the big talk.

"Turmoil"

I have been working at Beachbody full-time

Pros

Coworkers in general are willing to share knowledge with a few exceptions.

Cons

Mass confusion due to recent "reprioritization" (layoffs), new business direction outlined, but vague information regarding impact on specific departments.

"Former Employee Review"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Gym in building
    Free snacks
    Free shakes
    In the biz of helping others
    Strong Tech Mgt

Cons

Suspect business model
    Suspect business process
    Uncertain future
    Unsuccessful products
    Low confidence in executives

Advice to Management

Founders need to hand over control to experienced professionals

8. "Company With A Clear Mission"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pound for pound, some of the most professional, passionate and talented people in Los Angeles. Mission makes it clear you have a career that changes peoples lives - very cool! Values to Commit and Deliver on promises and treat people with respect and be courageously forthright are principles everyone can get behind. Office is fantastic, gym is amazing, core hours, benefits, snacks, free shakeology and unlimited vacation makes it one of THE best environments I can honestly say I have ever worked in.

Cons

Like any company, transition can be tough and we've just gone though one. Great vision delivered by co-founders last week explaining we've come through tough times before and come out stronger. They communicated a clear vision, clarified the size of the market, are committed to a digital transformation and international expansion. What's not to like?

9. "Pros & Cons - like any other company"

Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Fitness/health related mission
    -Culture (more than just free snacks and shakes...People who work out together, work well together!)
    -Competitive salary (esp. for LA market)

Cons

-Growing pains, that leads to tough decisions and org ballooning (and deflating)
    -Senior executives' difficulty in pushing back on CEO, so many teams working on tactics that they don't believe will have high ROI

Advice to Management

With changes in strategy, consider true organizational redesign

"Beachbody"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance in El Segundo, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance in El Segundo, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The teamwork and friendships accomplished

Cons

The pay and management need to acknowledge achievements

Advice to Management

Pay attention to those who really work for the company

"Ok"

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Beachbody full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On site gym with access to all Beachbody programs
    Free snacks
    Free shakes
    Employee discount on Beachbody products
    Unlimited paid time off

Cons

Very political place. Hard work is not recognized and people are scared to tell the CEO like it is. Also very high turnover