Beacon Roofing Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

2.9
Paul M. Isabella

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are some good people that work there but they will all turn on you with enough stress (in 4 reviews)

• Great company that is growing at an exponential rate (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • lack of planning results in frenzied pushing of employees and long hours (in 9 reviews)

• Communication between upper management and street level management poor (in 6 reviews)

1. "Delivery helper"

Current Employee - Delivery Helper in Mount Vernon, WA
    Current Employee - Delivery Helper in Mount Vernon, WA

I have been working at Beacon Roofing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good friendly environment with room to grow

Cons

Not always available to do exactly what I have in mind for my personal growth

"Working for a huge company"

Former Employee - Dispatcher in Spokane, WA
    Former Employee - Dispatcher in Spokane, WA

I worked at Beacon Roofing (More than 10 years)

Pros

Benefits, pay steady hours good equipment

Cons

No familiar feel. One mistake and that's it

Advice to Management

Make it a more family atmosphere

"Toxic Workplace"

I worked at Beacon Roofing full-time

Pros

Paycheck, Corporate Benefit Program and Exposure

Cons

I've worked at companies of all sizes and Beacon Roofing is the worst place to work. Management does not care about you and there is no one to trust or confide in. All are expendable working here and because of the demand in jobs, one is just as easily replaced.

Advice to Management

Value your employees more. We are all human at the end of each day.

"culturally inept"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I have been working at Beacon Roofing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some good people that work there but they will all turn on you with enough stress. Most people are over worked and under paid due to poor management.

Cons

You'll work long hours for no recognition. Unless you fit their cookie cutter mold of a model employee don't expect to get ahead. Senior leadership spends it's time worrying about what women are wearing instead of a woman's job performance. Women only get promoted when the situation seems desperate and they can't find someone quick enough to fill the spot. There is no growth from within. Because they continue to hire supervisors from the outside but not enough real workers to handle to day to day processing. The lower level workers are all severely underpaid and under appreciated. This is a very conservative and old company. Don't expect a family life balance working here. HR is a joke the senior management is just worried about making themselves look good and to appear in control when the whole department is in a decline. In the last year there has been a high turnover rate. Don't trust HR leaders, especially at HQ. They're sneaky and gossip about all your business. They'll pretend to care about your troubles or situation and then they will cut you loose when you let your guard down. Management will never have your back unless you're a white male.

Advice to Management

Get out of the 1950's and join us in the 21st century.

"All promises, no follow-through"

I have been working at Beacon Roofing full-time

Pros

A paycheck, a couple of genuine people.

Cons

Sexism truly does run rampant here, as mentioned in other reviews. The company is predominantly male, so they don't care to combat it. In my first few months, a co-worker sexually harassed me and my boss urged me to not report it because the guy had a "bad upbringing." Well, obviously! Females are also only chosen for promotions when absolutely desperate and are offered less pay and negotiation time. They'll be given all the administrative work - even the managerial stuff Beacon's higher-ups literally have technical safeguards to prevent them from doing to ensure everyone sticks to their job descriptions; middle management finds ways around it, and they can pay their male employees for the work the women are then doing, to boot! Corporate has no idea because they don't keep track. Women have been fired for speaking out about the company's sexism, and I've personally been "spoken to" about discussing the issue in relation to the industry. When explaining that women aren't taken seriously in sales, I was given the response that "it just takes time to gain credibility," but the truth is, men don't deal with half the animosity women in construction do. If you aren't presenting everything about the industry as 100% cool, you are considered a problem. New employees learn fast not to challenge the status quo, especially women, and it puts us all in bad positions, especially young people. Young people do not want to work here for long, but the company targets young people, so there's a ton of turnover.

It's a very old-school environment and the company is resistant to change. The only time the company's stock goes up is when there's a natural disaster, which is signal enough that people don't have confidence in it. I can't count how many times I've heard disturbing comments made by management about LGBTQ individuals, people of different race, and women. This kind of talk alienates customers, too.

When I left, sales were low. Salaried employees were still forced to work 10+ hours a day even if there was no work to do. Not everyone gets commission, so you just sit there and pray for the clock to move faster. The offices don't hire enough staff, forcing people to skip vacations and work through illness (despite lack of work). HR is kind of useless - trying to ask them for information about benefits is like talking to a wall - never mind trying to work with them to handle interoffice issues.

The company is cheap. They only pay for cleaners to come every 2-3 weeks. They barely touch anything. I found a nest of black widows in the ladies room - which customers also use, by the way. At one point, management was afraid to call a plumber when the toilets backed up. I brought a bucket to work. The company also won't pay for much-needed tech upgrades. I don't think they'll ever budge on this, as everyone's begged for them for years and they won't even pay for basic training. My boss wouldn't even comply with OSHA regulations to buy medical supplies because it stretched the budget - but as safety coordinator, it would have been my job, despite the company offering no means for me to buy supplies through our vendor. Awful practice, as the company has been fined thousands from OSHA violations. There's an endless amount of red tape. It takes months just to hire people even when they have someone picked.

There are genuinely nice people at this company, but even they can turn into monsters with the level of stress here. I was lied to about my potential and benefits with this company, period, and it's a theme you hear around the office a lot. Expect to travel when you're told you won't need to, expect poor advancement, and expect what they advertise as a high-profile-hair-slicked-back inside sales job to be more like a cashier job than imaginable.

Advice to Management

The plummeting reputation of this company sounds the death knell. Act fast. It doesn't need to take an outside consultancy to determine what the issues are. Corporate heads need to send out anonymous surveys at the least.

6. "Terrible micro managed company - good for the weak"

Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES
    Former Employee - OUTSIDE SALES

I worked at Beacon Roofing full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nothing. If you need your hand held and want to make the least amount of money in the industry beacon is way to go

Cons

Management doesn't know customers , sales reps are worse in the industry , too many layers. Personally I exceeded every budget and made over 200k and still wasn't worth my time

Advice to Management

Find a job where your time is worthwhile

"Big Business"

I worked at Beacon Roofing full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent Pay , No weekends , Vacation Time , Plenty of room for advancement, Lots to learn , and Pride.

Cons

This company grows by acquisitions. The company I worked for for 5+ years was purchased by Beacon in 2016. Obviously everyone knew that the culture would be changing and oh boy did it. Budget is the "heart" of the operation. Meet budget .... Great. Fail to meet budget and you will find yourself extremely shorthanded trying everything you can do to get by.

Advice to Management

Staff the branches for success. Just because the branch is underperforming doesn't mean you shouldn't hire help. More/better help = better customer service and sales.

"Preaches interest in people over profits. Doesn't follow through."

Current Employee - Class B Driver in Mount Vernon, WA
    Current Employee - Class B Driver in Mount Vernon, WA

I have been working at Beacon Roofing full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Big company with lots of opportunities for the right people If you're willing to relocate and work above your pay grade it might work out for you.

Cons

Doesn't follow through on promises and the pay scale is skewed. Better off if you're a new employee than if you're a 10 year vet from my experience. They buy smaller companies and try to assimilate them with minimal training and high expectations.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly from the beginning and recognize hard work. Reward loyalty instead of taking it for granted.

9. "Fleet and Safety Coordinator"

I have been working at Beacon Roofing full-time

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

no cons at this employer

10. "A 'lovely place' to work."

Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Forklift Operator in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Beacon Roofing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great pay. Easy job. Pays the bills

Cons

Bad management and long hours.

Advice to Management

Keep a closer eye on your supervisors