Beardwood&Co. Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 13, 2017

5.0
Julia Beardwood

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Overall a great place to work and grow"

I worked at Beardwood&Co. full-time

Pros

Beardwood really cares about the growth of their employees, they have yearly 360 reviews that end with making goals for the next year. You are given a senior team member as a mentor who you check in with monthly which I found invaluable. Team members are also encouraged to give lunch & learns, you are given a stipend to grow outside of the studio (AIGA membership, Business classes, museum tickets etc) and there is a weekly happy hour in the studio. The people are so smart and kind, it's very easy to make friends with everyone and there are always a variety of projects coming in. Management is very good at being transparent about what is happening on the inside of the business, which is pretty cool.

Cons

The studio is an open floor plan so you may overhear crits and phone calls, but headphones are allowed so you tend to get used to it. As is industry standard, there tend to be a few nights of working late, but the silver lining is you can order dinner. There are always a lot of people involved in every project, which can be good or can be annoying.

Advice to Management

Keep the same expectations for all employees, whether they are men, women, have families or don't, etc.

2. "A great place to learn and grow"

I have been working at Beardwood&Co. full-time

Pros

- Amazing people, great company culture of camaraderie. In-house happy hour every Thursday, annual company outing, as well at other spontaneous fun opportunities for staff learning and bonding.
    - One-on-one mentorship that likely isn't available at larger agencies
    - Review process is transparent and crowdsourced by team members so you know exactly where you stand and what you need to do
    - Variety of projects across multiple categories keeps things interesting
    - Employees that reach the 5 year mark earn a one-month sabbatical

Cons

- Lack of diversity in staff can create discomfort for minority team members, especially as the staff grows.
    - Small size allows for few title and responsibility advancement opportunities
    - Some growing pains (i.e. strains on staff) as the company took on more and larger scale projects.
    - Lack of in-house production department causes some hiccups in the design handoff process

Advice to Management

- Actively seek out diverse talent, especially as while scaling up. The company culture and dynamism of the work will be better and more interesting for it.
    - Invest in more digital/media resources to help take brand development to the next level

3. "World Class Agency with a family feel..."

I have been working at Beardwood&Co. full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

— Global and high profile national clients and projects, but with the collaboration and care of a independent agency.
    — A collaborative work environments where strategy, design, and innovation play well together to create the best work.
    — Long term client relationships with large brands that lead to rewarding work at a large scale, and the opportunity to work with entrepreneurial brands/founders
    — Projects touch a broad variety of industries for cross-pollination of ideas
    — A magnet for talent, and low turnover on the team, culture focused on growth and development
    — Competitive salaries and benefits, regular opportunity for year end bonuses
    — Transparency about company goals and financial status

Cons

— Not necessarily a con, but we must stay mindful of the evolution of our team, roles, and structure as we grow to keep our foundation strong as it is today.

Advice to Management

— Keep the spirit of culture, dynamism, and fun alive as the industry continues to place new demands, and as we grow

4. "Happy and Satisfying Place to Work"

I have been working at Beardwood&Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

—> The people! If you want a healthy environment where people treat each other with respect and value one another—Beardwood is the perfect place to be.
    —> 360º Reviews twice a year make sure that you are continuing on the right track. Especially helpful if you are juniorish and need some extra guidance.
    —> I've worked at a few companies where you can tell that leadership is solely there to make sure they get a profit, and Beardwood is definitely NOT one of those places. The partners genuinely care about the people they hire and want you to succeed. The general sense is that if they can help you do well, then the company will thrive.

Cons

—> It's really hard to think of negatives, but I guess if I have one, it would be the long hours. They'll be large pushes every now and then to get a project done and people will end up working 15/16 hours a day for a few days straight. The partners will buy dinner to make up for it.

Advice to Management

What you have made is a rare gem. I just hope it can stay this way as we grow.

5. "A great place to work"

Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Beardwood&Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Variety of projects, commitment to good work, weekly happy hour, great team camaraderie, people who care about your development. Good benefits, great holiday party!

Cons

It's a small office so you get a turn at kitchen duty every couple of months and everyone shares in taking out the trash. Small offices like this give you an opportunity to work on a lot of different clients, but you don't get the support of a giant agency.

Advice to Management

You're doing a lot of different stuff. More focus - on client sectors or types of work -would be a good thing to better differentiate the agency from the other boutiques doing good work.

6. "Superb place to work"

Former Employee - Design Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Design Director in New York, NY

I worked at Beardwood&Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Beardwood is a true New York design company that offers excellent opportunity to do smart, meaningful and innovative work with a desirable list of clients. The talent is diverse. The leaders are smart and resilient. Think beautiful, symbiotic relationship of top talents. Working with this group was an invaluable experience.

Cons

Not really a con, just important to note – best to be self-motivated and flexible in your approach. It pays off!

Advice to Management

Keep investing in the perks/benefits of your employees – it is truly valued and real leg up in competitive hiring.

7. "Leadership that really cares about their employees"

Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY

I have been working at Beardwood&Co. full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The partners at Beardwood really do act with their team's best interests at heart. I was given a very fair offer when I started a year and a half ago, and since then I've gotten raises and a promotion without even needing to ask.

The partners are very transparent about the business, giving an annual financial state of the company presentation, and inviting the team to contribute ideas on how to improve the workplace. Every Monday there's a status meeting to let everyone know about what's happening in the office, and every Thursday there's an in-office happy hour where successes of the week are toasted.

Benefits are very generous. More vacation, sick days, and holidays than anywhere else I've worked, and the office is closed between Christmas and New Year's. Employees are encouraged to and reimbursed for joining professional organizations. Great healthcare, and healthy snacks are provided.

One of the biggest benefits to working at Beardwood is the competency of the project managers. Each project has a dedicated non-designer project management lead — someone whose forte is managing the client, keeping track of budget, and keeping track of design revisions.

Cons

The only negative I can think of is the lack of summer Fridays, but the vacation and holiday policies more than make up for that. As with any design firm, depending on the project, more than 40 hours in a week may be necessary to get the job done, but the team does their best to prevent this from happening — senior employees are more likely to work weekends themselves than to ask their team to.