BearingPoint Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
BearingPoint Managing Partner Peter Mockler
Peter Mockler

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can become an issue if you want to progress quickly in your career as the competition is fierce (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours and work life balance (in 13 reviews)

1. "We are BearingPoint"

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The training opportunities and people I work with are the best reasons. We have plenty of work socials as well. The per diem for travel days and 4 weeks vacation beat industry jobs. My direct management and managing director have been great at making sure the good people on the team stay happy.

Cons

One of the downsides of most consulting industry jobs are being away from home and your family for three nights per week. BearingPoint has not have much of a bonus program in the three years that I have been here. There is also some instability of the company's future with everyone jumping ship.

Advice to Management

Give us some kind of validation that the company is going to be around in 5 years

2. "Solid approval for company, despite current corporate turbulence - great future ahead."

Current Employee - Manager in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Marietta, GA

Pros

Good learning environment for the consulting field - plenty of structure provided, but not a totalitarian "my way or the highway" environment. Management tends to be very pragmatic.

Cons

Currently experiencing corporate-level turbulence, getting in the way of how the company as a whole is viewed. As well, some internal business units are still reorganizing after the most recent CEO transition and related trickle-down.

Advice to Management

Communicate more proactively - have been making great strides, but don't stop. Provide greater rewards for longevity with the company and make the rewards prominent during review process and elsewhere as one way to reduce turnover. The turnover rate is still too high.

"BearingPoint: Good for a few years, but no long-term benefit."

Current Employee - Technical Architect in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in Atlanta, GA

Pros

In my group, there is lots of interesting work and great people. Travel isn't too onerous, and base comp is good. Experience levels of the people are substantially higher than other consulting organizations I have worked for (or with).

Cons

In the time I've been here there have been small or no bonuses and raises. There are many terrible internal processes and procedures, and poor company performance makes for distractions, low morale, and difficulties dealing with some clients.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting the financials fixed and the stock price up, or instead position the company for acquisition. One other option might be to take BearingPoint private. At any rate, the current financial condition of the company is a huge distraction and is the root cause of many of the other problems. "Job one" is to get those fixed, post-haste.

5. "A pretty good employer, if they're around in 12 months."

Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

BearingPoint has great training programs, especially for new hires. Within my first year as a BE employee, I attended a 3-day orientation in Washington DC, a five day training on general consulting skills (also in Washington), and a 5 day technical training offered by an outside vendor for a technology we were looking to implement internally and for the client. For the first year, I think you would be hard pressed to find a company willing to invest as much training time and money in employees. I also enjoy working with the people I work with on a day-to-day basis. They also offer great vacation for new hires (4 weeks, straight out of school is not too shabby). They make you set annual goals, which can involve a lot of effort, but it's good for keeping you focused on what you need to be doing to advance.

Cons

LAME 401K! The matching (especially compared with my girlfriend's 401K (she will be working for KPMG) is weak (25% of contributions of up to 5% of pretax), especially coupled with a five year vesting period (KPMG, fully vested from day one). They claim to be a company that supports work-from-home programs, but my senior manager was not willing to even consider it. There is a lot of BS admin work, even for people working billable hours on the client.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with employees and be more present. In the past several weeks we've been facing a turbulant stock price and rumors of acquisition, but communications from the executive group are mostly "dont worry, keep working".

6. "Lucky to have a job"

Current Employee - Senior Technology Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Technology Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work for BearingPoint are getting to work for a lot of Fortune 500 Companies. The work life balance is good with lots of vacation. The Per diem is also very nice when you're on the road. The salaries are also quite competitive considering they have to overcompensate people to not leave the company.

Cons

The job stability and overall health of the company is very much a reason for concern. There has also been quite a talent flight to the competitors over the past year. There is basically zero job stability for anyone on the bench

Advice to Management

Sell off the business units as quickly as possible

7. "Good consulting firm gone by the wayside"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Like all consulting firms, BearingPoint offered fantastic experience to interact with many different clients. I worked for 15-20 Fortune 500 clients during my 4 years at BearingPoint.

Cons

BearingPoint unfortunately struggled with poor management communication as it worked through multiple CEOs, internal reorgs, etc. At times you worked very long hours and were under high stress conditions. The nonstop travel definitely got a little tedious at times.

Advice to Management

The one thing I wish BearingPoint did more of was work to make it a fun work environment like Deloitte and other consulting firms. There were very few activities, social events, etc. in our office and I only really got to know people on my specific projects.

8. "Great company to work for"

Former Employee - RECONCILIATION SPECIALIST in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - RECONCILIATION SPECIALIST in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Excellent opportunities for maintaining work/life balance.

Cons

This company filed bankruptcy in 2009.

BearingPoint Response

Jan 18, 2016 – Marketing

You refer to a different company, namely BearingPoint Inc. Our company, BearingPoint headquartered in Europe, has been a separate legal entity and conducted a management buyout in 2009. Its ... More

9. "Basic BearingPoint"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Work and life balance is one of the most positive things at BE. Time off is easily granted for family emergencies as well as planned vacation. ANother great reason to work at BE is the Performance managers and Managing Directors have an open door to discuss any topics. I would have to admit there are a lot of opportunities at BE that allow employees to gain knowledge and expirence with different and new clients and projects. Many BearingPoint Engagement managers allow employees on a project to drive their own hours, as long as the complete their deliverables while staying focused on their other responsibilities.

Cons

It's hard to receive big raises even though you performed at a very high level. Reviews are only completed once a year and raises have been minimal the past couple of years. Bonues are hard to come by unless you have senior management in corner. As for projects, it's tough to be on a project that you really want to be on. Currently, bench time is considered taboo and many employees have to find a project to jump on wether it would help their career or not. Needless to say, there are many people staffed on projects that would not benefit one's career.

Advice to Management

You need to intrust responsibility to lower level workers. Executive management needs to be more up front with employees abou the financial situation and other copany issues.

10. "BearingPoint wasn't a bad place"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Enjoyed my team, compensation and work environment while at BearingPoint. Had the opportunity to work with great professionals and enjoyable clients.

Cons

Leadership lacked proper vision to enable the firm to prosper. Went through restructuring every six months which constantly distracted from execution.

Advice to Management

At this stage I hope that management can unwind the company with minimal impact on the remaining staff and clients.

11. "Intern"

Current Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA
    Current Intern - Intern in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at BearingPoint as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Good people and interesting work

Cons

Bad management and instability with the firm