BearingPoint Reviews in Atlanta, GA | Glassdoor

BearingPoint Atlanta Reviews

Atlanta, GA Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • rather unbalenced Work life balance (in 20 reviews)

• Must be willing to work long hours and travel at least 80% of the time (in 14 reviews)

1. "Interesting experience at BearingPoint"

Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

In my view, with present economic conditions and current status of BE's, there are still a few reasons to work for BearingPoint. One reasonable reason to work for Bearingpoint at this time would be that if you believe you can help make a difference in turning the company around. Ed, the present CEO, has a difficult task at hand, and can use the help. Another reasonable reason to work for BE at the time of crisis would be to help lead the change and execute on the strategy brought forth by Ed. If you have researched the company, understand the risks ahead, and believe in Ed, then BE will not disappoint you and provide you opportunities to get engaged on projects, possibly aligned with your strengths. I entered BE to strengthen my knowledge of various industries in a short timeframe. As other consulting firms and inherent nature of the business, I was pleased with presented opportunities.

Cons

In my opinion and personal experience with BE, it lacks a fair/complete performance evaluation process. In addition, I do not agree with metrics used to evaluate performance of employees at all level. E.g. Sustaining growth number during declining economy, while addressing increasing attrition is an unrealistic expectation. By no means, is it an easy task to provide a fair career progression model for 17000+ employees but fixing fundamental issues with the model and communicating reasons for the chosen metrics is an equitable request.

Furthermore, most practice leaders I have worked with rather show profitability in the responsible area with less concern to companies outlook as a whole. Some in my opinion do not understand what it means to be a publically traded companies much less the associated responsibilities. Sr. Mgmt lacks the enthusiasm and devotion to harness and grow younger talent to help make a better future for BE.

Advice to Management

Executives of BE: I have no interaction at this level but would advice ED to ensure he has a strong team to lead us through these tough times. The chosen team must validate that how business is being performed which is more than evaluating numbers provided on dashboards. At this time, one must evaluate qualitative measures as well as quantitative. Numbers are a good indication but poor mgmt at various levels may not provide a clear picture. E.g. Pro-active monitoring of projects with frequent evaluations can help avoid\control loss apparent at later stages due to mismanagements.

VP's/MD's: Let's realize that we all must work together to withstand this storm. We must bring issues that need attention to light so Exec mgmt can address them. E.g. Let's ensure BE internals employee are of a better value on fixed engagements than a SUB. Processes and policies must change to accommodate needs of company. Finally, all of us must realize that we are not a private company and begin owning responsibility of a publically traded company. Corporate office has realized this but unfortunately the consulting practice needs to catchup.

2. "Basic BearingPoint"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Work and life balance is one of the most positive things at BE. Time off is easily granted for family emergencies as well as planned vacation. ANother great reason to work at BE is the Performance managers and Managing Directors have an open door to discuss any topics. I would have to admit there are a lot of opportunities at BE that allow employees to gain knowledge and expirence with different and new clients and projects. Many BearingPoint Engagement managers allow employees on a project to drive their own hours, as long as the complete their deliverables while staying focused on their other responsibilities.

Cons

It's hard to receive big raises even though you performed at a very high level. Reviews are only completed once a year and raises have been minimal the past couple of years. Bonues are hard to come by unless you have senior management in corner. As for projects, it's tough to be on a project that you really want to be on. Currently, bench time is considered taboo and many employees have to find a project to jump on wether it would help their career or not. Needless to say, there are many people staffed on projects that would not benefit one's career.

Advice to Management

You need to intrust responsibility to lower level workers. Executive management needs to be more up front with employees abou the financial situation and other copany issues.

3. "A pretty good employer, if they're around in 12 months."

Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Management Analyst in Atlanta, GA

Pros

BearingPoint has great training programs, especially for new hires. Within my first year as a BE employee, I attended a 3-day orientation in Washington DC, a five day training on general consulting skills (also in Washington), and a 5 day technical training offered by an outside vendor for a technology we were looking to implement internally and for the client. For the first year, I think you would be hard pressed to find a company willing to invest as much training time and money in employees. I also enjoy working with the people I work with on a day-to-day basis. They also offer great vacation for new hires (4 weeks, straight out of school is not too shabby). They make you set annual goals, which can involve a lot of effort, but it's good for keeping you focused on what you need to be doing to advance.

Cons

LAME 401K! The matching (especially compared with my girlfriend's 401K (she will be working for KPMG) is weak (25% of contributions of up to 5% of pretax), especially coupled with a five year vesting period (KPMG, fully vested from day one). They claim to be a company that supports work-from-home programs, but my senior manager was not willing to even consider it. There is a lot of BS admin work, even for people working billable hours on the client.

Advice to Management

Communicate more with employees and be more present. In the past several weeks we've been facing a turbulant stock price and rumors of acquisition, but communications from the executive group are mostly "dont worry, keep working".

"BearingPoint: Good for a few years, but no long-term benefit."

Current Employee - Technical Architect in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in Atlanta, GA

Pros

In my group, there is lots of interesting work and great people. Travel isn't too onerous, and base comp is good. Experience levels of the people are substantially higher than other consulting organizations I have worked for (or with).

Cons

In the time I've been here there have been small or no bonuses and raises. There are many terrible internal processes and procedures, and poor company performance makes for distractions, low morale, and difficulties dealing with some clients.

Advice to Management

Focus on getting the financials fixed and the stock price up, or instead position the company for acquisition. One other option might be to take BearingPoint private. At any rate, the current financial condition of the company is a huge distraction and is the root cause of many of the other problems. "Job one" is to get those fixed, post-haste.

5. "Solid approval for company, despite current corporate turbulence - great future ahead."

Current Employee - Manager in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Manager in Marietta, GA

Pros

Good learning environment for the consulting field - plenty of structure provided, but not a totalitarian "my way or the highway" environment. Management tends to be very pragmatic.

Cons

Currently experiencing corporate-level turbulence, getting in the way of how the company as a whole is viewed. As well, some internal business units are still reorganizing after the most recent CEO transition and related trickle-down.

Advice to Management

Communicate more proactively - have been making great strides, but don't stop. Provide greater rewards for longevity with the company and make the rewards prominent during review process and elsewhere as one way to reduce turnover. The turnover rate is still too high.

6. "We are BearingPoint"

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Consultant in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Consultant in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The training opportunities and people I work with are the best reasons. We have plenty of work socials as well. The per diem for travel days and 4 weeks vacation beat industry jobs. My direct management and managing director have been great at making sure the good people on the team stay happy.

Cons

One of the downsides of most consulting industry jobs are being away from home and your family for three nights per week. BearingPoint has not have much of a bonus program in the three years that I have been here. There is also some instability of the company's future with everyone jumping ship.

Advice to Management

Give us some kind of validation that the company is going to be around in 5 years

7. "BE still has a long way to go."

Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The people at the client service level are some of the best.

Cons

Constant pressure of RIFs. Can't staff a project because we have zero bench strength. Attrition is very high. Employee satisfaction is very low. The company is being run like a 'body shop' not a real consultancy. Very poor financial management. Corporate accounting is pushed down to the project level. Solution delivery methodology is dead (or best case dying) due to the lack of continued investment (yes ProvenCourse was a start, but it quickly became a confusing marketing tool).

Advice to Management

Stop hiring MDs / VPs and promote from within. Cut costs at the corp level, not the delivery staff; there is tremendous waste in this area. Stop wasting money giving severance packages to senior executives only to continually fire them and pay them out.