BearingPoint Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
BearingPoint Managing Partner Peter Mockler
Peter Mockler

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can become an issue if you want to progress quickly in your career as the competition is fierce (in 16 reviews)

• Long hours and work life balance (in 13 reviews)

1. "BearingPoint, a great company to work for."

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Consultant in Springfield, VA
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Consultant in Springfield, VA

Pros

Work with a lot of very talented and motivated people. Everyone is very supportive of your career and really cares.

Cons

Just getting out of our financial issues. It causes uncertainty and with that comes high turnover.

Advice to Management

I think were doing a really good job we just need to make sure it continues and to constantly evolve.

2. "Great opportunities of you pick the right team."

Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Earn more hotel points than you dreamed possible! But seriously, the chance to travel the US, gain experience a range of industries and work with all levels of client organizations from NOC analysts to Senior VPs. I've always been provided the training I need to gain skills regarding new technologies or soft skills as my career progresses (e.g. Communications and leadership skills) although you may have to push and take control to make sure it happens.
    You will meet loads of interesting people from a wide variety of backgrounds both other employees and from the client teams, providing you with connections for the rest of your career.

Cons

Your experience will probably vary based on the quality of your performance manager. You need to make sure you speak to him/her during your interview and get a feel for whether they would make a good champion for you - pushing for training, raises, interesting projects.
    BearingPoint's financial woes are a drag on morale.

Advice to Management

Sort out the accounting issues.

3. "BearingPoint is the consulting diamond in the rough."

Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Manager in New York, NY

Pros

The people. My colleagues are professional, friendly, and have a great sense of client service. Most of the senior level people have several years of experience in multiple firms. The leadership is accessible (yes, I have emailed the CEO, and yes - he has personally responded on the same day).

Cons

The company has been beaten down financially over the last few years, and it is taking a toll on morale. Our new career model, compensation and development plans, and focus on people is making huge gains on this, but there is still work to be done.

Advice to Management

Speed up the changes! We may need to drop the negative folks in order to complete the transformation. The changes in the MD level have been positive, and undesirable turnover at the senior level has been tolerable. Undesirable junior turnover means that we have to spend more time recruiting.

5. "Great place to work with some major concerns around the stock price"

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Manager in West McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Manager in West McLean, VA

Pros

The opportunity to work on multiple different opportunities at any given time. BE is a great place for those that are interested in doing multiple different tasks and roles at any given point. It is however not the best place if you are looking for directions at all times and need someone to give directions on different things.

Cons

The stock price and the uncertainty associated with the future of the company. The company's stock price has taken a major dive over the past few years so there is high degree of pressure in terms of utilization.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the SG&A and the overhead. There is way too many MDs and VPs running around without any specific roles. The company should focus on cutting the fat and becoming more agile in terms of moving forward.

6. "Great opportunities abound"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

You can make your own destiny - if you are a self sufficient go-getter, you can exercise your spirit and at the same time leverage all the resources available from the entire firm. This is a fantastic place for someone who wants to be on a team of highly intellegent people and thoughtful leadership. The leadership is very open and will tell you exactly how it is, not just what you want to hear. The training provided at Yale is world class - haven't found one person who disagrees.

Cons

The individual practices (FS, CS and PS) are very segemented - we don't always leverage eachothers resources as well as we could. Because we spend a lot of time on engagements we don't always have time to attend the fantastic training available.

Advice to Management

Keep showing the street that we are excellent at delivery and strategy - our clients are consistently very satisfied with our work and people.

"An unknown jewel in the management and IT consulting landscape"

Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

Consulting is, as a general rule of thumb, a tough profession in which success is achieved, primarily, through personal effectiveness. Long hours, terrible travel schedule, office politics, overly zealous focus on chargeability, and other issues are rarely mitigated by the work diversity, good pay, and the relationship capital typically built over several years of consulting. That being said, BearingPoint is an awesome place to begin or mature into ones career. Over the years, I have greatly enjoyed my projects, colleagues, work-life balance, pay, and overall growth in business and technology exposure afforded me. At a macro level, all consulting firms have "issues", and BearingPoint is no different. But I think the pros far outweigh the cons, and I would have no problem recommending BearingPoint to anyone as a place where you can truly do some of the best work of your career. The structure is in place, the opportunities are afforded, and the people are encouraging. All it takes is initiative, personal effectiveness, leadership, and, of course, a desire to succeed. If you have these qualities in your work ethos, you WILL do very well at BearingPoint.

Cons

Base salary is pretty good, but unfortunately, that's the extent of compensation. Bonuses do not trickle down, and only a small percentage of the highest performers (usually, those with great sales metrics) succeed in getting bonuses. Also, the health benefits are getting to be expensive. However, one of the greatest perks of this firm is it's vacation allotment -- a whopping 25 days starting off! Other issues, such as long hours, travel, etc. are part and parcel of all consulting companies, not just BearingPoint. I have found, though, that management is super sensitive to personal needs and always seem to respond to special needs during projects and appear to routinely work towards the needs of employees and clients.

Advice to Management

Given all the financial turmoil on the accounting side of the firm, Senior Management appears to be introspective around how to fix many problems facing the firm (and all firms, for that matter). The management has already taken a number of steps to identify areas for improvement and is actively looking to solve the high priority ones. This is very encouraging. Retention is a big problem with all consulting firms, but it seems even higher at BearingPoint. No doubt, part of the reason for that is the perceived financial instability of the firm. In addition to fixing those accounting and balance sheet problems, the company needs to manage the negative perception around the company right now. It is undeserved, but it does affect the company's ability to retain top talent and attract long-term clients.

"BearingPoint is a great company with a TON of debt."

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Washington, DC

Pros

Consulting is a great career choice and BearingPoint is no different. My promotion schedule is laid out in front of me and I feel secure in what my future will look like as long as i continue to do good work. BearingPoint seems to pay competitively compared to other consultancies, which is usually more than other career paths.

BearingPoint works mostly in Government Services (Public) which is a great place to be with this economy. I am on a long term contract with the government that will be safe regardless of what happends in the economy.

Cons

BearingPoint is struggling mightily. They have a ton of debt that is looming over them. Operationally they are solid and if they find a way to make those debt payments the company will do well. They are an attractive offering and would of been bought by now had the credit markets been more liquid.

Not being exactly sure where the future lays and what will become of my secure contract is of concern, however at lower levels such as myself, i am very safe.

Secondly I am unsure what affect i will sustain by working in a financially strapped company. I believe my compensation is close to the competitive level for the industry, but future pay/promotions I do have a concern.

Advice to Management

The Senior Management is talented and caring of its employees. I am impressed.

9. "do you hold a clearance?"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

work opportunites if you hold a clearance are interesting and ample. lots of contracts with true consulting work, rather than the staff aug stuff that i've experienced at other consulting compaines. there are a lot of opportunites with intel, Dod and law clients.
    the people are also great. lots of seasoned consultants with previous work experience, making it a place to share knowledge and work with people who are you equals.
    every project that i've worked on has appreciated that people need a work/life balance. flex schedules are available and management is ver receptive to letting you take time off when you need it.

Cons

the current reputation is a hinderance.

Advice to Management

none

10. "BearingPoint review"

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

The best reasons for working for BearingPoint are leadership opportunities and chances to advance in your career. There are lots of opportunities for growth for individuals in the company based on your performance.

Cons

The biggest downside for working for BearingPoint right now is the current financial state of the company. The overall stability leaves a lot of questions about the future of the company.

Advice to Management

Senior Management should give better information regarding the future of the company and what the short and long term plans are for the company.

11. "Give BearingPoint a chance!"

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in McLean, VA

Pros

I have found that the people here are the company's best assets. They are highly skilled and very bright. We bid and win fantastic projects with fantastic clients who love our work. The alliances the company has made for training programs are a great way to gain solid consulting experience. The company is huge on forward motion in your career track so if you work hard and meet your goals, promotions can and should be expected.

Cons

Its reputation makes it difficult for people to understand why good consultants would stick around

Advice to Management

Always take care of your people, particularly the ones you identify as your top performers