BearingPoint Reviews | Glassdoor

BearingPoint Reviews

Updated July 5, 2017

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can become an issue if you want to progress quickly in your career as the competition is fierce (in 17 reviews)

• Must be willing to work long hours and travel at least 80% of the time (in 13 reviews)

1. "Fair place to work, but big picture debt needs to be ironed out...and fast."

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

BearingPoint offers a unique environment to gain professional challenges and expand network of like-minded people

Cons

Internal management inefficiencies and sometimes long work hours

Advice to Management

Figure out the most effective way for paying off the Corporate debt and let's move on...also communicate to staff about what's going on. Are we losing our jobs?

2. "Beware: not a bad company but it's about to go bust"

Former Employee - Management Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Management Analyst in McLean, VA

Pros

To be honest I cant think of any "best reasons" other than that it's a fairly recognizable name so it would generally look good on a resume, depending on what you want to go into. I did generally like the people on my project - a rarity being a somewhat female-dominated project in a developing country. But I'm not sure how much that had to do with BE itself, as a lot of them were contractors who have since upped and left. Oh actually, here's one good reason: it seems at least the people I know are generally pretty satisfied with their work-life balance. I had a pretty regular 9 to 5 schedule and so do some colleagues on entirely different domestic projects.

Cons

Virtually no job stability. If you ever end up on the bench for more than 3 weeks you're pretty much screwed. Many people always felt that they needed to be actively looking or have a backup job somewhere. BE will treat you like a corporate cog no matter how well you perform - though probably about as much as any large corporation will.

Advice to Management

Just give up and sell BE or file for Chapter 11 already! This has been in the talks for YEARS, why beat a dead horse?

3. "BearingPoint is not a good place to work these days"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Virginia, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Virginia, IL

Pros

BearingPoint was use to be one of the leading management consulting firms. Their global foot print, standard engagement methodology and resource pool can be considered to be positive things when thinking about joining bearingpoint.

Cons

There are not that many training opportunities, speacially for a start up. Most of the trainings are available on learning management system but I dont think they are very useful. Also bearingpoint is very weak when it comes to business development, and apart from public sector they are not doing very good anywhere else. Speacially when it comes to commercial clients. The business development targets are very poorly managed.

Advice to Management

Start focusing more on business development with real, tangable and measureable targets.

4. "Could be worse, but far from the best."

Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Consultant in Denver, CO

Pros

Flexibility with work/life balance and there are good people to work with.

Cons

Finding the next project, pay, promotions, senior leadership.

Advice to Management

Listen more to the people in the trenches as compared to making blind decisions.

5. "This company is as good as the project you are staffed on."

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

I have met many competent leaders at BearingPoint. If you get matched up with the right team you will find rewarding work and recognition for performance. It's not a bad place to start a career. Company has cut a lot of back office workers and over-compensated Directors this year. Hopefully the employees will see some of these cost savings.

Cons

You will be staffed anywhere that you can be billed out, so cross your fingers and hope for the best. Some projects are great, but some provide the company with revenue and do not provide the employees with career advancement opportunities. The C-level has work to do around training employees, facilitating career advancement, compensation, and recognizing/promoting from within. Turnover is very high even at the top - I have reported to 4 Directors in the last 3 years. Company owes $1B in debt and is exploring options to restructure this. Stock price is in the gutter, no longer trades electronically.

Advice to Management

I report within one BearingPoint team and am currently staffed on a different team's engagement. Compensation/Bonus/Promotions are awarded based on the performance of the team I report to, rather than the team I am currently staffed within. I have nothing to do with poor performance of the team I report to, but I am "punished" for it at year-end.

"To BE or not to BE"

Former Employee - Senior Technology Analyst in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Senior Technology Analyst in Phoenix, AZ

Pros

+ Defined path of career growth
    + Excellent company if you've just graduated college
    + Meet great people
    + Travel
    + Per Diem policy

The travel was definitely both a perk and a pain at the same time. Having to wake up at 4AM on Monday morning to make that 7AM flight was definitely not one of the most exciting parts about the job, but the airline and hotel miles/points definitely provided something to look forward to when spending one of the 20 PTO days they give you.

Cons

+ Low employee morale
    + Limited projects
    + Travel
    + Review process is somewhat disconnected

Many of the projects were pretty mundane and not the most exciting, but there's really nothing you can do about it. Their current financial situation incites a pretty low morale among workers which provides an overall "whatever" feeling in the office.

Advice to Management

+ Focus on providing more of a "team" atmosphere for those directly in your group
    + Re-implement midyear reviews

7. "BearingPoint is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in McLean, VA

Pros

BearingPoint is a great place to gain exposure to the consulting industry. Specifically the Public Services sector is a great place for a new or experienced consultant to make a direct impact by working with a government client (federal, state or local) to help them solve one of their many issues. Most of the issues we help to resolve with our clients are usually related to technology, management, finance, accounting, or operations.

As a BE consultant, you will also have a chance to leverage the knowledge of thousands of other consultants within your sector. I would also like to say that salaries and benefits are pretty competitive for the industry.

Cons

Currently the company is going through financial tough times because of accounting problems that took place a few years ago. Because of these problems, most of the shareholder equity has been wiped out. Though this really does not effect most of the consultants on a direct basis (unless you own BE stock), it does lower the morale a little. Also, any pending action taken to resolve these equity, finance, and accounting issues may have a potential negative effect on the company and its people.

Despite these issues, I would say that BE is a great place to work. We just have to wait out the storm for a little while.

Advice to Management

I would commend the senior management, especially the CEO Ed Harbach, for communicating the issues to us in a timely and professional manner. He tends to give us the issues without a lot of sugarcoating, which I personally appreciate. It would help if Senior Management would help us to gain insight on how they working to resolve our current issues.

8. "Bearingpoint; Once was a great place to start, now I don't know."

Current Employee - Application Developer in Hattiesburg, MS
    Current Employee - Application Developer in Hattiesburg, MS

Pros

Bearingpoint before the recent Economy and low stock problems was an excellent place to start. Students fresh out of college could get there feet wet great on the job training and local managers who cared. The training was long enough to get you ready for most projects as well as put you in a league higher than what most competitors are at.

Cons

Before the stock problem the main negative of Bearingpoint was bad projects. Project would come that were struggling and programmers would be expecting to spin straw into gold. Many times the coders at HGDC did spin straw into gold.

Advice to Management

I understand management knows no where near whats truly going on in the upper executive circle but people need better truthful updates on the future status of their job. No one should have to deal with the problem of just buying a house and then getting laid off because of finance restructuring.

9. "Bearingpoint--Great Place to Learn but Leave As soon as you are done..."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in New York, NY

Pros

Brand Name, Good Training , Lot to Learn and Excellent Clients

Cons

Management , they can't see the things in long term, party culture hit a lot if you are parting without any reason.

Advice to Management

See the oppertunity and don't try to Say you are doing Niche work as you don't do that....

"Bearingpoint scoop at the top"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in McLean, VA

Pros

The culture of the company is pretty good. Work from home is a plus. Benefits are pretty comparable to other companies. Vacation/ time off is pretty good. Soon as you are either a senior consultant or higher, you get 5 weeks of sick time and/ or vacation

Cons

Promotions and salary increases are far and few. Folks on engagements are treated pretty harshly in my opinion. They are treated like as if they were step children. Even though most engagement folks obviously work in the field and at client sites, I still think that more personal involvement from their engagement managers is necessary so that they don't feel like they have been disregarded, etc.

Advice to Management

Give the folks at the bottom the adequate bonuses that they deserve so they will remain loyal too.