BearingPoint Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Updated March 8, 2017

Washington, DC Area

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can become an issue if you want to progress quickly in your career as the competition is fierce (in 17 reviews)

• Must be willing to work long hours and travel at least 80% of the time (in 13 reviews)

"BE creditors don't want former employees to get their earned PTO or Severence!"

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

Pros

The ability to service clients from any location. Depending on your job and clientele, you could work from anywhere on your own hours and management supported this. The comraderie (inspite of the backstabbing by some) made it a decent place to work. BE really understood the family work balance.

Cons

The backstabbing from senior management to prevent anyone from leapfrogging over them in promotions, despite being unqualified to lead your team. Also the pay is better than Booz but way less than a Deloitte or PWC.

Advice to Management

Grow up. Stop derailing your subordinates' careers and do your job of motivating and creating company personnel that can contribute to bringing in money. Also after going bankrupt despite record sales by some of your employees, the creditors have asked the bankruptcy judge to order BE not to pay employees severence or their earned PTO. A lot of us, already earn a lot less than our colleagues elsewhere, dedicated ourselves to BE taking ridiculous 4-7% raises and little or no bonuses while being denied promotions b/c of BE's problems, deserve to have our PTO paid to us. We worked hard and took little leave and made our division profitable, it's not our fault that inspite of this the company went bankrupt. If I had left the company before the bankruptcy court, I'd of been paid out my PTO, but since I was loyal and despite the court originally approving it, I'm not being robbed.

"Great work-life and people. It ends there."

Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Alexandria, VA

Pros

1. There are many bright employees at roughly the same stage in their careers, roughly 5-10 years experience. This creates a collegial, respectful environment.
    2. The work-life balance was great. Maybe not at first, but once you got into the groove and were hitting high chargeability/utilization, the company, and my sector particular was very accomodating with scheduling work weeks and vacation.

Cons

1. There is little to no development, mentorship, or training of talent. The highly touted Yale series was simply another venue for subpar training. Many consulting companies fail to develop talent under the guise that they are "hiring experts and experienced personnel." This faulty logic means many firms are missing out on opportunity to truly create knowledgeable, confident staff.
    2. Related to training, the bilnd tend to lead the blind. You are considered an expert if you've done something once.
    3. Perofmance reviews occur under a banner of transparency, but they are anything close to that. Manager board meetings are held behind closed doors and you are given little insight into the outcome. Bonuses are given in large pools related to ranking rather than your individual, specific accomplishments. Therefore, you could perform awesomely for 12 months straight, win new work, create intellictual capital, etc; and, because you have the same rating as some lackey who files papers who has a good relatinoship with their manager you both will be paid equally.

Advice to Management

It became very obvious towards the end (bankruptcy) that our senior managment had no idea how to run a large company. Because I was pleased with my individual sector and team I stuck around, but I lost out pretty big because of it. Looking back, many of the communicatios from senior management were overly optimistic, at best, to downright misleading, at worst. I once heard an analogy from leadership that they excelled at "building the ship while sailing." Guess what? If you haven't sealed the boat before you leave dry dock, it's going to sink.

3. "Let's hope Deloitte allows us to keep our Culture but Pays us better!"

Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Like most consulting firms, the ability to have exposure to a vast number of industries and clients, is one to best reasons to work at BearingPoint. Also, they are pretty good about employees work/life balance needs (i.e. Telecommunting, Maternity leave, etc.)

Cons

They pay is pretty bad (compared to industry standards) and the promotion criteria seems to be very skewed. Some times it about performance, some times about how long you've been there, some times it's about who you knao, and some times it's about just being lucky. They run on a platform of promotion through performance but I don't see that most of the time.

Advice to Management

None, it's not worth it. However, I think Ed has made the best he could of a crappy situation

4. "So long, thanks for the fish."

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Low walls culture, decent pay and benefits. BE has been good to me, sorry to see it all get broken up and sold off. Like most companies, it is all about the strength of your local management. I have been generally treated as a competent adult, and allowed to make my own path. Your mileage may very.

Cons

Working for a company in bankruptcy is always a bad idea. The firm is getting sold off piece-by-piece, which is probably the right move. The back office costs were too high, so it makes sense to graft the worthwhile (revenue generating) parts onto a healthy organization.

Advice to Management

Thanks for fighting the good fight, we really needed you about 3 years before you showed up. Better luck next time.

5. "Good place to start a career.."

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

Good place to start a career.

Cons

Salary and benefits are not as robust as competitors in the industry.

Advice to Management

Management does not like to take accountability for problems when they occur. Many times actions are reactive rather than proactive...even when issues have been brought to the attention of management. I believe many situations could have been mitigated or alleviated otherwise.

"A mixed bag with a bleak future"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Opportunities for advancement -- perversely due to attrition

Cons

constant internal management struggles surrounding our debt; bad senior managers and MDs

Advice to Management

Fix the collective mess that is corporate services, commercial services (outside Japan), financial services, and our debt.

7. "Be review"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in McLean, VA

Pros

Great people and support in reaching career goals and development. Management does a great job of communicating with all of the employees regarding any issues or changes. Everyone gets along with each othet and there are many bright and talented people working in the company.

Cons

Lack of networking opportunities..compensation..no tuition reimbursement..work life balance. Career path is not defined and you end up doing many generalist type of work coming in as a college graduate. Those who cry and whine get noticed and those who derserve to get promoted faster then others usually dont because management feel they havnt been at the company long enough. Its hard to get into the field of work that you really want to get into because of the lack of yraining opportunities or management dont want to take the time to train somebody. Performance review is done by someone that doesnt even work on the same project as you.

Advice to Management

Provide more compensation..awards and bonuses. Provide more and effective training opportunities, net working opportunities. Create more defined career paths for employees

8. "BearingPoint. Good"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

People. Everybody helps everyone and you can succeed w/o tearing down your peers. Leaders professional and respectful. I think the promotions within my group have been managed very fairly. Usually no problem adjusting your schedule for appointments, etc. The amount of vacation also is a plus.

Cons

Public services likely to be purchased by Deloitte Consulting becasue of the Chapter 11. Uncertainity where we stand. Bonuses have been very low due to the long-term debt problem. Government contracts are stable work but the are difficult to manage. The margins are low compared to private sector. Master's degreee is no value to the company.

Advice to Management

Don't reinvent the wheel with Deloitte. AlexPartners or somebody else should pretty much have templates.

9. "A Tale of Two Companies"

Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Senior Consultant in Washington, DC

Pros

BearingPoint is full of smart, hard working people. It's large enough that there are many opportunities, particularly in the Washington, DC, area.

Cons

BearingPoint is a company full of smart, hard working people that are exhausted by the drama and uncertainty caused by the company's continued internal financial woes. The constant cloud of rumors, uncertainty, along with the dismal financial benefits over the past few years as a result of the financial problems, is making it very hard for staff to try to "see it through" to the other side of this scary tunnel, particularly during the current economic conditions and with no certainty as to what the company will look like on the other side.

Advice to Management

Focus on strategies for how to retain your best people; work harder to be transparent and dispel rumors while the company goes through its bankruptcy pains.

10. "Manager At BearingPoint"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

As a hole BearingPoint is an excellent company to work for. They are understanding of the work / life balance and they encourage their employees to take care of themselves. They are not much of an up or out consultancy. Since it is not a partnership, they promote people based on merit if there is space in the leadership group for the promotion. As for staffing, they are excellent about finding engagements for people that were on a team that is no longer together, whether the contract was over or the contract was lost. They prefer to staff current employees prior to looking outside the company for talent.

Cons

In solutions it is hard to see a clear line of determining where work will come from. I know there is a perceived need to build a network, but when you are not client facing, as is the solutions group, it is hard to determine when and where you will be able to generate work from. With that in mind, it is difficult to try and drum up "new" business and secure forward progression on your career path. I cannot say that this is an issue for the company as a whole, but I would say that it is present throughout the Solutions group.

Advice to Management

I would have liked them to disconnect the PS group from the rest of the country, much much earlier.