KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Beautycon Reviews

Updated Dec 20, 2021

Found 48 of over 56 reviews

1.6
Pros
  • "As volunteers were able to do a lot at the BeautyCon conference which was nice(in 10 reviews)

• "All divisions work hard to produce the best festivals for fans(in 10 reviews)

• Cons
  • "It’s difficult to describe the magnitude of toxicity that I and countless others felt on a daily basis while working at Beautycon(in 12 reviews)

• "Production detail is insane as any festival would be(in 9 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Working For the CEO Has Been Nothing Short of Amazing

Aug 16, 2019 - Marketing Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Pushes you to work hard, turns you into a hustler, teaches you sooooo much about owning your own business and encourages it!

Cons

not enough food! too many meetings, not enough down time,

Head of People Operations

Could not possibly agree more! Empowerment is the message we are all given from the moment we walk through the doors at Beautycon and it starts with a mandate from leadership to always be teaching and learning. Sometimes “hustler” has the wrong context; however, hustle, work ethic, and focus are skills everyone at Beautycon will turn into success if they truly want it and commit to the process. Thank you for sharing your experience!

2. 5.0
      Former Employee

Good leadership, openness and positivity

Apr 11, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Beautycon is the start-up to be working for in the changing age of media. Ahead of the curve, the company only has room for growth. People move at a fast pace and put their passions to work, and I think the company has huge potential. Every office is going to have its internal conflicts, but management is recognizing it and quickly working to make changes. A few members of the executive team in particular make a concerted effort to communicate and explain the process. It is obvious that the leaders of this company had a vision not only to be successful executives but to make a tangible difference in revolutionizing the world of media. They understand their audience and they understand the digital movement; they are helping create it.

Cons

It was sometimes difficult to get one on one time with leadership because of hectic schedules. There should be more all-inclusive meetings.

People Operations

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. Beautycon is definitely is a massive period of growth and we do all move at a very fast pace. What a great idea to invite other leaders to come and speak with the staff! Also, thank you for the insight about wanting to have more all-inclusive meetings. Noted! :-)

3. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Best for the legit

Jan 25, 2017 - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Major vision, leading the beauty industry in recognizing women of color's beauty, trans and queer beauty, and anyone else who is different. This company is about way more than beauty, its about our generation and our generation's power. I disagree with some of the reviews on this site about the CEO. She's a force, that's for sure, but if you work hard, she has your back - not just at the company, but also when you leave. When I left after 4 full time years, she was super supportive of helping me find another position. She introduced me to lots of contacts in the industry I wanted to pursue. She is a mentor, but only if you really work hard and know your stuff. I got promoted pretty fast, and now I have a dream job I could have never had if I hadn't worked by butt off at BC. It's an intense work environment, duh, its a start-up, so you really have to give it your all....but if you do, you get everything back and then some. Plus, the salaries are competitive to other companies, and the people who work here are so sweet and cool, many are still my besties.

Cons

The company grew fast, and I think a lot of people were hired that didn't really know how to do the jobs they were hired to do. So it was tough for a while, because there were a lot of us who worked hard and were crushing it - and then there were other people who were slacking or bullshitting. I personally heard the CEO and other execs give concrete feedback and guidance, and lots of second chances. But a handful of these people were fired in December after more than 6 months of being given "a chance." Cons are - you do work hard and a lot of times on weekends. But it was so meaningful to me. It feels like a family, and you are doing something really good for the world. So many girls at Beautycon will come up to me and cry about how much they love it because it helped them learn how to deal with bullying and haters. Plus, you also get to travel to cool places, and feel like you have a real hand in building something real.

2 people found this review helpful

HR/Recruiting

Your feedback is vital to our growth and truly appreciated, thank you for sharing. Beautycon Media’s growth has certainly presented some hurdles that all developing companies face; however, we couldn’t be more appreciative of our culture and the vision for the brand we all share. Robin Mayemura / Manager, HR/Recruiting

4. 4.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

The hardest most rewarding job I’ve ever had!

Aug 27, 2019 - Programming
      Business Outlook

Pros

Having worked previous start ups and big corps, this company has been the most progressive workplace that understands and practices inclusivity and not just say they do. Working with a small team everyone is aware of each others strengths and I always felt that my thoughts and opinions were respected. I have had moments at previous companies where I felt my expertise was extremely under valued. I was very happy that I was able to feel positive support, engagement and feedback at Beautycon. From across all departments, my working relationships were extremely important and I got to collaborate with some incredible team members who work tirelessly to produce these festivals. Watching the fan and consumer experience I personally saw the happiness felt across the festival as it is a very special place to be heard, feel safe and make new friends. This is the most forwarding thinking work space that many organizations strive to truly be at. The consumer is a top priority for this team and seeing the CEO personally answer consumer correspondence directly really showed me her dedication to the company. I know there is a struggle there with non supportive investors, but yet, she has never lost focus on the mission.

Cons

Production detail is insane as any festival would be. There is a lack of commitment from some members that are not supportive or happy about being part of this organization. I experienced the lack of respect came from older and bitter team members that have hard a hard time finding other work and decide to stay at the company, and under deliver. There has been a huge change in operations with a good new team in place, however, the clean up comes from previous production heads. The exposing of under qualified ex-producers and lazy staff really unveils a dark rooted problem. They were in it for themselves and not for the mission of what the festival was created upon. Across all departments, I saw staff take personal days off the week of the festivals and never willing to go the extra mile to make sure their teammates were supported. I personally saw an ex-producer single out a new temp because the temp was hired by the CEO and the the producer did not approve of her style or what she was working on….that was more of a racial stance and it was disgusting to see this.

2 people found this review helpful

Head of People Operations

We deeply appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us. With so many moving parts and the immeasurable stress that comes with delivering one of the most significant and gamechanging beauty/culture festivals on the planet, people are often pushed beyond their comfort zone. In our industry, this is where the true leaders are born, while others realize that the pace of the industry and the events we produce may not be for them, which is equally important to those that embrace the challenge and shine. At the end of the day, we are here to incubate the great beauty pioneers of tomorrow and continue fighting to move the needle and redefine the meaning of beauty within the industry and popular culture. We know how special the opportunity to learn on the job is, but it’s feedback like yours that reaffirms our mission. Thank you!

5. 4.0

Needs Process

Oct 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Opprtunity to learn and broaden your skill set -Stimulating environment with lots of opportunity to network with some of the best talent in the media space

Cons

-Operations has been a struggle, but hopeful the senior team they've assembled will iron things out

People Operations

Thanks for your feedback! You're right, we do offer employees a chance to connect with some of the most in demand talent in digital media. As a small company, you work hard, but also get to grow fast! Operations is getting smoother and smoother, especially as our team gets closer and closer. We will pass on your thoughts to our management to be more open with younger employees. Thank you for that excellent suggestion! If you have more, please email to hr@beautycon.com to continue the conversation.

6. 4.0
      Current Employee

Huge Growth Opportunity

Oct 20, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome office Smart and creative team Incredible Mission and Ethos Huge opportunity both personally and professionally to grow The festivals are one of a kind

Cons

Long hours Not for the faint of heart

Be the first to find this review helpful

People Operations

Thank you for your feedback. We love our office, our team, and mission too! The festivals are the most inspiring thing ever, right? You're right that we work long hours and working for a start-up is not for the faint of heart. At least we're all in it together! From the CEO to our interns, we are passionate about what we do and work hard to be better every day. Here's to a better world where everyone can define beauty on their own terms!

7. 4.0
      Current Employee

Great place to prove yourself

Apr 7, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of opportunities to show your initiative, and work on building on team morale.

Cons

As a startup, some resources are lacking nothing that won't be fixed over time.

8. 4.0
      Former Employee

Start-up that's on the way up!

Jan 17, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

The younger team is really great and eager to learn as much as they can. The leaders of the company are putting a lot of their effort into hiring a solid executive team which will take it from a start up to a solid company that is destined for success.

Cons

It's still very much a start up so there are a lot of learning curves and work isn't a 9-5 but the everyone is hustling for the same goals so that makes up for it.

HR/Recruiting

Thank you for taking the time to share your personal experience at Beautycon Media. Each and every bit of feedback helps and has paved the way for the changes we continue to implement to build a healthy culture. Beautycon Media continues to grow at a rapid pace and building the perfect balance of junior and senior executives is a priority. We couldn’t be more grateful for the wonderful individuals that have contributed to our evolving brand. I'm working hard to fill in the holes of the leadership with executives who also believe in building and mentoring their teams. Robin Mayemura / Manager, HR/Recruiting

9. 4.0

Jan 12, 2017 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

It was a really solid experience for me. It was fun to work in such a fast paced environment and start-up and the overall brand is so strong. The creative and marketing behind the festivals is insanely cool, and for anyone looking to learn about digital influencers and the beauty space its a great place to be.

Cons

It is certainly a start-up and you need to be prepared for that. There's lots of amazing people that work at the company but like any startup strategies and the business can feel like its constantly shifting. I used that to my advantage though as I think the pace really will help me in my current job which is a bit more corporate.

10. 3.0

Great Opportunity to learn about the Beauty industry

Apr 16, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Access to talented execs and career development

Cons

the business structure itself is not the most stable

Be the first to find this review helpful
    Viewing 1 - 10 of 48 Reviews

Beautycon Reviews FAQs

15% of Beautycon employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Beautycon 1.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 1.5 for culture and values and 1.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Beautycon to be diversity and inclusion and the cons to be benefits, career development, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Beautycon Job Seekers